Dead 4.2 swap to 6.0

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
Well to start off I was letting my brother drive it while he was looking for jobs and misc. things, he never once told me any lights came on. I drove it and saw some light flash but they went away just as fast as it came on, it did it again and I was able to see it this time. It was my Check gauges light, low oil pressure (DIC), and the needle dropped below 20. I got it home but not before a knocking sound. I checked the oil it was non-existent (32%) left on the DIC. I changed the oil but unfortunately it was to late, the noise only got louder and louder.

I had a CEL come on shortly after, I scanned it and it read P0014. So I ordered the CPAS and swapped it. Also close to 100k I figured what the hell might as well change the spark plus, clean the TB, change my water pump because it was bad. Basically anything to fix it, but to no avail.


I had my buddy take a look it and he said it sounds like a rod knock. I read that it's not worth rebuilding these engines due to the cost being the same of a new engine, so I drove it how it was, until one day it almost stalled out on me on the way home and I was lucky and made it home.

With freshly changed oil and it just about drying me I decided to drain the oil and check for metal fragments and sure enough there were. Starting to think the timing chainThis is as far as I've gotten into this.

This has been since late Oct. luckily I'm lucky enough to have a awesome job with a work truck. So there's no hurry. I've slept on this since then weighing my options.


So this brings me into the swap.

My goal is to get more power. I was thinking about buying an SS but for a low mileage decent shape SS they're still around 20k, so that's not an option, plus I have several thousands dollars in my TB (No engine mods other then PCM4less tune).

I've been reading several sights including the OS and it seems it can be done but of course with mods. I'm looking for guidance for parts and to make everything work (AC, etc).

Here's what I know I need:
LS2 Engine
4L70E maybe a 6L80E
ECM
Harness
Efans
Headers
Radiator (Maybe?)
Cluster (Maybe?)

Here's what I'm hoping to keep:
4x4 (if not I'll convert it to 2wd)

I feel I'm missing a lot here. This weekend I plan ripping the engine apart starting with the oil pan to see the true damage.

Sorry for the long story guys but I plan to follow though with this mod even the wife agrees :biggrin: :cool:
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
That sucks man but I'm excited to see the swap in progress! Keep us updated.
Yes it does suck. I will def. Keep everyone updated.
This is the most important part of the post! :yes:

I can't really offer much, but I got an extra set of hands and moral support if you need it. :thumbsup:
I will probably take you up on the extra hands part it'll also be good for a mini meet on myside of town lol . This will be a long project due to funds of course and learning as I go. The moral support is definitely appreciated.
 

24v 4.2

Silver Supporter
I did see in another thread, that you will need to move the transmission cross member mounting points as they are further towards the front on a V8 than on the i6.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
24v 4.2 said:
I did see in another thread, that you will need to move the transmission cross member mounting points as they are further towards the front on a V8 than on the i6.
You're right I do remember reading that too
 

djthumper

Administrator
Talk to ErikSS on ORTB about the transmission choice. He is wheeling an SS.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
Does anyone know what else is needed for this conversion? My goal is to get a list of all the parts so of course I can by them but I also want to part out what I can't use anymore to help fund the mod.

I'm going to start the tear down this weekend and will be taking my time doing so considering I'm saving for everything right now.
 
Man you will basically need a donor vehicle for all the parts. off the top of my head i know you will need the following


- Wiring Harnesses
- A/C Lines
- Power steering lines
- Radiator
- Fuse Panels
- Transmission cross Member/Mount
- PCM
- HP Tuners

I'm sure there are several little things that are not listed, it really would be best if you could get a donor vehicle that is wrecked or something like that.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
Time to update.

I've established a timeline of when I should have enough saved to buy the engine and transmission. I still have yet to figure out how much the wire harness and other things will cost yet but shouldn't be a problem. The projected time line will be April and hopefully will be installed and completed late April early May.

I've opened up a savings account just for this build.

Here's some pictures of progress nothing major as I have four months to do this removal.

JUST BECAUSE SHE'S DOWN JUST MEAN SHE DOESN'T DESERVE A BATH
BEFORE CLEANED 2-2.jpg
OLD ENGINE UNTOUCHED
BEFORE2.jpg
REMOVED BATTERIES FRONT AND AMP BATTERY TO PUT THEM ON THE TRICKLE CHARGER
NO BATTERY.JPG
REMOVED THE BUMPER, GRILL AND HEADLIGHTS
NO BUMPER NO HEADLIGHTS2.jpg
 

SmokeyMcBlazer

Well-Known Member
Decembersend said:
(No engine mods other then PCM4less tune).
What are your plans for the tuned PCM?? :undecided:
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
What are your plans for the tuned PCM?? :undecided:
Well as for now it's going to be stock, but more than likely that'll change after doing more research. I'll probably be buying HP Tuners for whatever tune I decide to put in.


I'm also going to buy a car cover, these damn pine trees around my house make it during really quick.
 

SmokeyMcBlazer

Well-Known Member
Decembersend said:
Well as for now it's going to be stock, but more than likely that'll change after doing more research. I'll probably be buying HP Tuners for whatever tune I decide to put in.
I see...

Not gonna lie, I figured you'd need a different PCM for the 6.0L and would be down to sell me the tuned 4.2L PCM...
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Since I have both types, this is what I can think of off the top of my head:

- Complete exhaust
- Radiator
- Front springs due to added weight
- Possibly rear driveshaft as I have read that the tranny/TC is further back
- power steering pump and lines
- complete underhood PCM wiring
- Probably the BCM
- All A/C components from compressor to the firewall
- Front driveshaft, same reason as for rear
- Engine mounts and brackets
- Fuel lines, possibly fuel pump if it's different
- alternator

And if you want to do it to specs:
- Front brakes as they are larger than the I6's (just the rotors and the caliper brackets, same on EXT I6 or V8)
- If you do the brakes, you must have 17" wheels to clear the calipers
- Stabilizer bar, which I believe is larger on the V8
- Rear differential, which has a larger ring gear gear (8.6" vs. 8.0"). V8 or EXT will do but has to be the same ratio as front diff or you grab the front diff from the donor

If you're not sure if you will be keeping the 4x4 or will put it in later, install the front diff anyway because it's a bitch if you do it with the engine already installed (you install the engine with the diff attached).

You'll probably need a Tech 2 to program everything, including the speedo if you change the gear ratio, the BCM for the VIN and the options in your truck (or take out those not in your LS).

Are you really sure you want to do this? Definitely not for the faint of heart.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
SmokeyMcBlazer said:
I see...

Not gonna lie, I figured you'd need a different PCM for the 6.0L and would be down to sell me the tuned 4.2L PCM...
Sorry I wasn't sure what you were asking the first time.

I'll be purchasing a new PCM as the 4.2L PCM won't work. It will be for sale along with several other items that are like new to used.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
Mooseman said:
Since I have both types, this is what I can think of off the top of my head:

- Complete exhaust
- Radiator
- Front springs due to added weight
- Possibly rear driveshaft as I have read that the tranny/TC is further back
- power steering pump and lines
- complete underhood PCM wiring
- Probably the BCM
- All A/C components from compressor to the firewall
- Front driveshaft, same reason as for rear
- Engine mounts and brackets
- Fuel lines, possibly fuel pump if it's different
- alternator

And if you want to do it to specs:
- Front brakes as they are larger than the I6's (just the rotors and the caliper brackets, same on EXT I6 or V8)
- If you do the brakes, you must have 17" wheels to clear the calipers
- Stabilizer bar, which I believe is larger on the V8
- Rear differential, which has a larger ring gear gear (8.6" vs. 8.0"). V8 or EXT will do but has to be the same ratio as front diff or you grab the front diff from the donor

If you're not sure if you will be keeping the 4x4 or will put it in later, install the front diff anyway because it's a bitch if you do it with the engine already installed (you install the engine with the diff attached).

You'll probably need a Tech 2 to program everything, including the speedo if you change the gear ratio, the BCM for the VIN and the options in your truck (or take out those not in your LS).

Are you really sure you want to do this? Definitely not for the faint of heart.
- I will be buying Kooks headers along with CATs, Muffler. I already have dual out of the Muffler now so my hopes are that the Muffler Shop I go will be able to attach to it, I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
- I know I need a radiator I'll be researching which ones the SS guys have found to be the best.
- I planned on getting 89's or equivalent for the longest time now is the perfect excuse to do so.
- I'm defiantly going to need a rear drive shaft due to the length in the 6L80E as far as the front I haven't found out yet if the 4x4 will work if it does I want to keep it. (Strength issues being a major concern)
- I haven't looked into PS pumps and lines yet but I will
- I've been trying to find a local donor SS to find a PCM, BCM and complete wiring
- A/C is a must so I will be looking into that as well
- I will be doing the front drive shaft if I can get the 4x4 to work
- I will have a shop add the engine mounts
- I will be researching the fuel lines and pump.
- I will also be looking into HO alternators

As far as specs:
I'm not looking to make this a clone of an SS just the power, so with that being said I'll need everything to handle that power though
- I actually looked at ext. brackets and rotors before this mod so this again will be an excuse :biggrin:
- I do have factory 17" rims, though I will be changing them to aftermarket. I've had my eyes set on Fuel Octanes
- The stabilizer bar I didn't even think about but I will be looking into it
- I bought a rear diff awhile ago from the scrap yard with G80 and I didn't think about it at the time but I wish I would've looked to see if it was the 8.0" or 8.6" I believe it is the 8.0" because I believe it came from a SWB Envoy.

Currently I'm running 3.42s and I have been reading a lot of debates about them being better with the 6L80E so I'm still researching.

As far as the 4x4 I will be keeping it if it work.

I'll have to see if anybody I know as a Tech 2 but I doubt it.

I'm def. ready for this mod. I know it's a lot but hell I love the truck, it'll be cheaper in the long run and I get something that is unique and to my liking.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
Blckshdw said:
:crackup: I haven't seen you this active since we first came over here from the OS!! :tongue:
Ya I know I've been a slacker. I haven't modded the truck in such a long time that I haven't visited like I used to on the OS :frown:
 

SmokeyMcBlazer

Well-Known Member
Decembersend said:
Sorry I wasn't sure what you were asking the first time.

I'll be purchasing a new PCM as the 4.2L PCM won't work. It will be for sale along with several other items that are like new to used.
Cool. Well when youre ready to sell, I might be ready to buy lol.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
SmokeyMcBlazer said:
Cool. Well when youre ready to sell, I might be ready to buy lol.
Sounds good I'll PM you and let you know about it first. I'm going to get a list together of everything else before I sell anything hopefully by the weekend.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
Here's Today's Work:

Removed Fan Clutch and shroud, Removed Radiator
REMOVED RADIATOR2.jpg

REMOVED AIR INTAKE
REMOVED AIR INTAKE.JPG

I've know for sometime now that my hood has been rusting so I'm finally ordering my new hood from Suncoast Creations.

RUST UNDER HOOD
RUST UNDERHOOD.JPG

NEW HOOD (for those of you that haven't seen it)
NEW HOOD.jpg

If anyone wants any parts PM me. I'll be putting up a list tomorrow in the right section of course.
 

SmokeyMcBlazer

Well-Known Member
Decembersend said:
If anyone wants any parts PM me. I'll be putting up a list tomorrow in the right section of course.
PM sent...
 

Capote

Platinum Supporter
Woooo!
 

Mounce

Well-Known Member

Mooseman

Moderator
He does day that is runs and drives great except maybe for no windows and lower roof line.

Hey, may it can be chopped?
 

redleg6

Well-Known Member
Decembersend said:
Well Uncle Sam said he's going to give me a nice chunk of change tomorrow so I need to start shopping for the engine. :smile:
yep, I can directly relate to that...hope this swap goes easy for you
 

Capote

Platinum Supporter
I've seen that listing before, wish he had pics of the engine bay
 

northcreek

Well-Known Member
Capote said:
I've seen that listing before, wish he had pics of the engine bay
Yeah..that would be helpful. I've asked the guy about engine damage and so far no reply. I failed to see that he does state that it runs and drives. To me this seems like a no-brainer for a 4.2 swap. I mean you would have a low mi. 6.0 engine,all the other cool stuff that you need and lots of stuff to sell :yes: Mike.
 

Capote

Platinum Supporter
You would definitely make a profit off parts not needed. Everyone loves SS parts[emoji14]
 

northcreek

Well-Known Member
Mooseman said:
He does day that is runs and drives great except maybe for no windows and lower roof line.

Hey, may it can be chopped?
Maybe a TB SS PU....... :undecided: Mike.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
I've seen that post before as well. The damage to the front concerned me about engine damage. I'm going to send him a message and see what he says and if he can get me a pic of the engine.
 

northcreek

Well-Known Member
The seller got back to me and says that there is no damage to the engine. I suppose that the V8 not being as tall as an I6 saved it...Mike.
 

Bow_Tied

Well-Known Member
Looks like a fun build, best of luck!
 

felicie

Well-Known Member
I was reading that you bought a G80 for the swap. You may need check or Mooseman can look at his, but I believe that the SS's came a 9.5 rear I believe.
 
OP
OP
Decembersend

Decembersend

Well-Known Member
I was able to get a hold of Mark and he said he should be able to swing by and look at it for me, so that's awesome.

Now if this eBay seller would message me back with his address that would be awesome too. lol
 

Online statistics

Members online
1
Guests online
222
Total visitors
223

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
20,346
Messages
593,678
Unanswered questions
2
Answered questions
2
Members
13,382
Latest member
jmkinmsp
Top Bottom