Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Irrelevent post due to stickied thread.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Robbabob said:
Dmanns posted this on a idferent page, but I see it being relevant here:

I have also noticed when doing a Trailblazer/Envoy search in Google and it lists links to different threads on GMTNation, when clicking on the links the page comes up with "404 Page Not Found". It did that for every link I clicked on. The is a GMTNation Resource Portal listed at the bottom of the page that will direct you to the new site. Hopefully anyone searching for help will click on the link, although it will still take them to the main page of the site and not to the thread they were looking for.

How would this issue be resolved with the Google search, just curious?

I learned a search string from The Roadie "pick a topic site:GMTNation.com". All relevant links come up in the Google list, but they all go to 404. Is this something that Google can actually learn the new location?
Yes, they can and will.... with time. Google be sloooowwwwww.

Upvote 0

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Edit on the mark forums read. The link to mark them read at the bottom of the page works. The one in the banner is the one giving an issue.

Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Hatchet said:
Edit on the mark forums read. The link to mark them read at the bottom of the page works. The one in the banner is the one giving an issue.
Yes.

Also, if you are on a single forum home page, you can mark all forums read in the upper right side. Right next to the "Start New Topic" button.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Mark20 said:
Couple of config issues I haven't seen noted in this thread...

When using the reply to topic at the bottom of a thread screen, when click in the box to start typing the formatting bar comes up. No problem with that but there is an expand toolbar icon that has a popup that says expand toolbar. Click it and the bar collapses, the icon then says expand toolbar and then properly tracks what the button does.

Could not paste text into a PM popup.

On the vB software you could click on a screen name and get a popup window with several options. Don't see that here.

Quote isn't bringing in the selected item to the replay to this topic box. (IE 11)
Just logged in from FF and quote appears to work there, I see the quoted text in the reply box.
Apparently, IE11 is very problematic... who knew?!

Hatchet said:
Just came up with an issue. Try to mark forums read.

Welcome to the New GMTNation As you can see, we're still working on some things. If you encounter anything that doesn't seem right, please start a thread in the support forum.

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#20312]
Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

Need Help?
url link i get
http://gmtnation.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=markasread&marktype=app&markApp=forums&k=31fa208bec4922a060bbd1a5edfdb6a7
We're aware, I'm trying to fix this now... hopefully.

Robbabob said:
Dmanns posted this on a idferent page, but I see it being relevant here:

I have also noticed when doing a Trailblazer/Envoy search in Google and it lists links to different threads on GMTNation, when clicking on the links the page comes up with "404 Page Not Found". It did that for every link I clicked on. The is a GMTNation Resource Portal listed at the bottom of the page that will direct you to the new site. Hopefully anyone searching for help will click on the link, although it will still take them to the main page of the site and not to the thread they were looking for.

How would this issue be resolved with the Google search, just curious?

I learned a search string from The Roadie "pick a topic site:GMTNation.com". All relevant links come up in the Google list, but they all go to 404. Is this something that Google can actually learn the new location?
Yeah, Google is going to have some pretty bad links for a while, I'm trying to at least get the 404 errors to redirect to the main forum page where people can then use our internal search engine... instead of a 404.

The_Roadie said:
Mea culpa for participating in the OT digression. Thread cleaned up a bit to help Jimmy, who fixes everything.
Grassyass! It's getting a bit unruly in here.

Hatchet said:
The link at the bottom will work, my attempt to duplicate it at the top of the page failed. I'm going to fix it. Oddly, it works fine for me :confused:

Upvote 0

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Jman423 said:
The link at the bottom will work, my attempt to duplicate it at the top of the page failed. I'm going to fix it. Oddly, it works fine for me :confused:
If this helps.

Attachments

• eRROR.GIF
    eRROR.GIF
    272.1 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
This should be fixed now, you should be able to use the top or bottom links to mark all of your content as "read". Let me know if you continue to have trouble with it.

Reactions: Hatchet
Upvote 0

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i know this will be down on the list.
noticed after using the expanded box of smileys, the box stays open.
does not auto close, after clicking on the one you want, like it did before.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't recall it auto-closing on the old software.

Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
OK boys and girls... and Roadie....

The Gallery is open!

Try it out, get a feel for the settings and options that we have installed. We will announce the size/storage limits for regular members and for premium members in a few days. We are still making adjustments, but lets give it a try and see if we can break anything!

Reactions: dmanns67
Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
The_Roadie said:
My preference is a left-justified list for the vehicle profile fields, but again, that may be just me.
We worked on that a bit, its not as easy as it sounds. Jimmy will continue on that when he gets a chance. He did remove the warnings tag from the profile area and add the locations.

Upvote 0

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
You mean align left. Justify is where the words and letters are spaced to always fill the maximum space per line. :rotfl:

I'm pedantic sometimes, don't mind me.

Also since the vehicle stuff is built-up, any way we could get two-tone listed? I know it'd be a pain to add a two-tone version of everything in the combo box, not sure if there's any other way to do it like a check box that adds two-tone to the color listing or something.

Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
smt 59 said:
any solution to these issues?I would add a smiley but have no toolbar.
Nope. Its on the list, but until all the bugs are worked out of the main site the mobile issues are on hold. It is on the list though.

Reactions: smt 59
Upvote 0

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Ive noticed a sufficient lack of people on the forums since the upgrade. Normally in the morning there are a ton of posts. I wonder how many are clicking on their bookmark and it says 404 and they just think we are gone? Is there a way to change that 404 page with a link to the new forum? Don't think there is anything that can be done with the tapatalk users, they just have to look for the new location.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Or just have the old link redirect to the new.

Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Hatchet said:
Ive noticed a sufficient lack of people on the forums since the upgrade. Normally in the morning there are a ton of posts. I wonder how many are clicking on their bookmark and it says 404 and they just think we are gone? Is there a way to change that 404 page with a link to the new forum? Don't think there is anything that can be done with the tapatalk users, they just have to look for the new location.

Sparky said:
Or just have the old link redirect to the new.

Jimmy is working on this. We took a huge hit in traffic making this switch, but it was necessary so that the site could continue to grow and support all the things we want it to do. The new software is amazing, we haven't even begun to use all its features yet. Jimmy got the Donate link working last night, so everybody go donate and let me know if it is working!!! :biggrin:

Upvote 0

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Ghoster said:
Jimmy got the Donate link working last night, :biggrin:
Very useful. I think the shortest membership is 3 months, not 6, however.

Now to make the DONATE button about 800X600 pixels, flashing at 10 Hz between red and yellow, and you have to click ten times inside a moving box without error in 3 seconds to get rid of the box.

Oh, wait ---- we're not Trailvoy.

Reactions: MAY03LT and Aarkon
Upvote 0

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hatchet said:
Ive noticed a sufficient lack of people on the forums since the upgrade.
I see a couple day hit, then folks find us again. The whores especially couldn't be suppressed. It *is* worth seeing what we can do about the main links,

Note time goes in reverse in this chart

2.jpg

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think that the loss of notifications of previously subscribed threads is the main factor. Since the switch, this thread is the only one I get notifications on.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't have email notifications set up. I'm always on here at least once a day (usually a lot more often) so I see the notifications at the top regularly :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Would a mass mailing to the registered members stating the URL has been updated be doable?

And for the known OS shill accounts, just send a link to the Borg collective.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Mark20 said:
Would a mass mailing to the registered members stating the URL has been updated be doable?

And for the known OS shill accounts, just send a link to the Borg collective.
Honestly, I've always tried to avoid unsolicited emails when possible. I know the forum software sends out it's automatic emails when certain criteria are met, and sometimes that can be overbearing on it's own. I hate the thought of people thinking we're trying to spam them... those of you that are "heavy users" already know better, but not everyone in our database has that awareness of our intentions.

We'll have to talk about this and see what our options are.

As you can see, between my full-time job and sleep, I'm putting in as much time as I can to catch up with what needs to be done. Unfortunately, I'm learning both the front-end AND the back-end of this system as I go, so that tends to slow things down. Then, there's Ghoster asking for this and that... and breaking things here and there.

We tested this software for a period of time before the switch-over which allowed us to get some things tweaked ahead of time, but without a bunch of users trying different things and reporting back to us, we couldn't possibly be prepared for everything that's been reported to us since the switch.

Overall, I think the new software was completely worth it. I know we lost some features, but that doesn't mean they won't be back. We also understand that some reported issues are more important to some than others... and some are critical to an individual's use of the site each day. It is ALL important to us, we just have to prioritize things so the higher-impact items get resolved quickly.

If I have to keep viewing the forums from oldest to newest... my head is going to explode.... but I haven't had time to research a solution to make the options match the old software.

Upvote 0

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Jman423 said:
If I have to keep viewing the forums from oldest to newest... my head is going to explode.... but I haven't had time to research a solution to make the options match the old software.
Mine shows newest first...

Robbabob said:
This is what I get when I click the donate button:

attachicon.gif
donate.jpg

One of us is broken :crazy:
Mine shows up fine.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine shows the same "Nothing here"

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Robbabob said:
This is what I get when I click the donate button:

attachicon.gif
donate.jpg

One of us is broken :crazy:
Please try again.

Hatchet said:
Mine shows newest first...
Unless you've found a setting that I haven't seen, when loading a thread, post #1 is always on page 1 and I have jump to the last page to see the newest posts. On vBulletin, this behavior was selectable by each member... here, it's global, and I know if I change it, people will not be happy.

Sparky said:
Mine shows the same "Nothing here"
It should be fixed now, sorry about that.

Upvote 0

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Jman423 said:
Unless you've found a setting that I haven't seen, when loading a thread, post #1 is always on page 1 and I have jump to the last page to see the newest posts. On vBulletin, this behavior was selectable by each member... here, it's global, and I know if I change it, people will not be happy.
I see the same behavior you do. Had to get in the habit of clickiing on the dot or star to the left of the thread title in the What's New list to jump to where I need to be. Sounds like every forum would have had this as a member request, but I haven't been looking for their support forums yet.

Upvote 0

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Jman423 said:

It should be fixed now, sorry about that.
The_Roadie said:
I see the same behavior you do. Had to get in the habit of clickiing on the dot or star to the left of the thread title in the What's New list to jump to where I need to be. Sounds like every forum would have had this as a member request, but I haven't been looking for their support forums yet.
Yea you need to click on the dot or star to the left of the thread title. This software used to be able to go to last post by clicking the title. But and upgrade awhile ago that option disappeared.

Upvote 0

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
At least the admin team is prioritizing things to improve the site. VS only prioritizes putting more ads and other ways to make $$$, every thing else get prioritized to the floor.

Reactions: Robbabob
Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is there any way to get re-subscribed to all the threads I have participated in prior to the upgrade?

Upvote 0

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The other night I saw a banner that reminded folks to fill out their vehicle info. Is everyone who hasn't filled out their info still seeing it?

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Mooseman said:
Is there any way to get re-subscribed to all the threads I have participated in prior to the upgrade?
It's doubtful, but I will certainly try. I know how aggravating it can be to lose that kind of information.

The_Roadie said:
[color] is also gone for the moment.
What do you mean? I don't think those tags work on this software. I had to remove [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] tags because that's not how our current software displays signature pictures. It might be the same with the signature color, font, and alignment tags.

MAY03LT said:
The other night I saw a banner that reminded folks to fill out their vehicle info. Is everyone who hasn't filled out their info still seeing it?
It should still be visible, but I haven't checked. It's one of those things that I'm not completely satisfied with yet... but I haven't had time to work it out at this point. I want the information under the avatars (in threads) to be more clean and organized, but it's not as easy as it seems.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online