Computer and Tis2000 setup for Tech2

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A lot of info I found over at SaabCentral but it is just a giant thread to read through although a lot of the info is on the first page. And a lot doesn't apply since it's geared towards Saab (even the 9-7x doesn't apply, it's under GM).

So you have a Tech2 but a lot of the things you would like to do is locked out because you don't have access to the computer software to allow you to do it. Things like updating PCM's and modules and anything security related are locked out. If you bought one of the Tech2 clones, it probably came with a CD with the Tis2000 software. If you install it and try to use it, it says that it can't find the USB security dongle or something like that. That's because only dealers have those or a clone of one wasn't included.

First of all, this is old software. It was discontinued in 2008 by GM which means that it works only for vehicles up to model year 2007. It will have PCM and module updates included. For example, I was able to update all of the modules and PCM in my 2006 9-7x even though it had only been a year or two since production and issue of this software. It will also allow you to reprogram a module that you are replacing.

The Tech2 communicates with the computer using a serial port on the computer running Windows XP SP3. This can be a problem if you only have newer computers. Best and easiest scenario is to use an older laptop computer that has a serial port running windows XP. In my setup, I used an old IBM T40 laptop, which is fairly decent processor wise, installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP3 and used a docking station with it that has a serial port. Laptops that have actual serial ports built in are probably so old that they are too slow or have age and reliability issues. Another solution would be to get a USB to serial port adapter and specify the proper COM port number during the install of Tis2000.

Another possible solution would be to use a virtual environment on a host computer. VMWare is free to use and it has been done from what I read but could be a fairly involved process because of the serial port issue, especially when using a USB to serial adapter. The challenge of communicating from the virtual environment through the real computer's hardware ports can make it difficult but can be done. I'm not going to discuss this type of installation but the basic software installation and use will be the same. If anyone gets a virtual install working, please post it up.

In some detail, this is what I did. Keep in mind that you should have some computer knowledge and know how to install Windows.

1. Installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP3. I didn't bother with updating anything else as far as security updates to Windows or install a virus scan because this computer will never be connected to the Internet or used for anything else.

2. Installed ALL the required drivers until there were no more yellow check marks in Device Manager. I failed to do this at first and caused a lot of headaches later, including a BSOD during software installation.

3. If you're using a USB to serial adapter, plug it in now and set it up. Go into Device Manager and make note of the COM port used by the adapter.

3. Install the Tis2000 software from the CD included with the Tech2. During the install, it will ask you to specify the COM port. If you have a serial port on the computer, it's probably COM 1 or use the one from the USB adapter.

4. Before you can use Tis2000 with your Tech2, you have to make it "think" that there is a dongle connected that authorizes it. You can download the crack below. Follow the read me file for instructions on how to use it.

That's it. More threads will come explaining how to do stuff with it but this will get you going.

And if you need them:

TIS2000 Software (Extracted from my CD)

Tis2000 Dongle Crack
When you click on the links, they will bring you to 4Shared, click on "Free Download", a little window will pop up asking to log in using either a social media account or sign up for an account. Sign up with an email and password and then create a name. After that, you will be brought back to the download page and the 60 second timer will count down, after which the download will start.

Warning: In Tis2000, whatever you do, DO NOT USE THE "SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD" BUTTON! This will retrograde the card in your Tech2 to an old version from 2008.

Some more install info, especially for VM's, is also available in this thread from SaabCentral.

Edit 2017-06-30: Download links updated
Edit 2018-01-11: Tis2000 link uopdated

Last edited:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Moose, I just ordered a clone. I can't get your files to download for some reason.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you ordered a clone, it likely will come with the CD so you only need the crack. You can either login using FB, Google+, Twitter or open a new account with 4Shared. If you get a popup window, just close it.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yes, it is supposed to have 2 CD's. I also saw a post on another forum from a guy that said one of the CD's had the dongle key generator on it and he was able to make one.

I figured I would have to make an account at 4Shared. No biggy. I'll see what the CD's have on them and go from there.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One CD is Tis2000 and the other is a PDF instruction manual from Vetronics iirc. Neither of mine had the dongle crack.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Here is what Powderboy from PontiacBonnevilleClub.com said back in April: "By the way, I discovered that the basic Tech2 comes with the software you need to program your own USB key for the TIS2000 system, so no need to buy the additional $25 dongle. If you have your own USB stick you generate you own key using the included SW on one of the enclosed CDs."

I'll see what happens. If it isn't there, I know where to get it! :tiphat:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would find the crack less bothersome. No dongle sticking out.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Good to know. I thought you used the crack to generate a dongle. I think I will use the crack then.

One more question: Does it have to be XP SP3? I don't know what the SP is on mine.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think so but if it pukes, you could easily find the Service Pack and apply it to your install.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Hey @Mooseman thanks for the crack. I'm going to play with the sierra today and the info was much appreciated.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
How did this all work out for you with the Tech 2, crack, and Sierra.... I ask as I'm in a very very VERY similar situation (soon). What year truck?
I was able to update some modules, same with the TB. Some wouldn't take updates and would fail. The sierra is a NBS 2007 (technically OBS since it was the half year. Sierra classic was the designation)

Nov 30, 2016
USA
I should have been more specific. I do have the 2007 nbs and for now I'm attempting to flash the bcm to recognize a new passenger door switch so that the lock, heated seat, and mirror controls will work on the passenger side

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I should have been more specific. I do have the 2007 nbs and for now I'm attempting to flash the bcm to recognize a new passenger door switch so that the lock, heated seat, and mirror controls will work on the passenger side
I couldn't tell you if that would work then. I was able to update the pdm on the trailblazer but the sierra is manual everything so I had no need to look at that so to speak.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It may or may not work. As per my first post on Tis2000:
It was discontinued in 2008 by GM which means that it works only for vehicles up to model year 2007.

Since it's an NBS (a late 2007/2008), it may not have been included in the last update of Tis2000.

This will become more and more the situation as older trucks die off and newer ones replace them. We won't be able to use our Tech 2 with Tis2000 to update modules. We may need to do some research on other software or methods.

Nov 30, 2016
USA
Thanks mooseman. I just got my tech2 and an old computer and am now looking at getting everything installed. EDIT --- having an impossible time trying to download the dongle crack

Last edited:

Miro

Apr 20, 2017
california
One CD is Tis2000 and the other is a PDF instruction manual from Vetronics iirc. Neither of mine had the dongle crack.
A lot of info I found over at SaabCentral but it is just a giant thread to read through although a lot of the info is on the first page. And a lot doesn't apply since it's geared towards Saab (even the 9-7x doesn't apply, it's under GM).

So you have a Tech2 but a lot of the things you would like to do is locked out because you don't have access to the computer software to allow you to do it. Things like updating PCM's and modules and anything security related are locked out. If you bought one of the Tech2 clones, it probably came with a CD with the Tis2000 software. If you install it and try to use it, it says that it can't find the USB security dongle or something like that. That's because only dealers have those or a clone of one wasn't included.

First of all, this is old software. It was discontinued in 2008 by GM which means that it works only for vehicles up to model year 2007. It will have PCM and module updates included. For example, I was able to update all of the modules and PCM in my 2006 9-7x even though it had only been a year or two since production and issue of this software. It will also allow you to reprogram a module that you are replacing.

The Tech2 communicates with the computer using a serial port on the computer running Windows XP SP3. This can be a problem if you only have newer computers. Best and easiest scenario is to use an older laptop computer that has a serial port running windows XP. In my setup, I used an old IBM T40 laptop, which is fairly decent processor wise, installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP3 and used a docking station with it that has a serial port. Laptops that have actual serial ports built in are probably so old that they are too slow or have age and reliability issues. Another solution would be to get a USB to serial port adapter and specify the proper COM port number during the install of Tis2000.

Another possible solution would be to use a virtual environment on a host computer. VMWare is free to use and it has been done from what I read but could be a fairly involved process because of the serial port issue, especially when using a USB to serial adapter. The challenge of communicating from the virtual environment through the real computer's hardware ports can make it difficult but can be done. I'm not going to discuss this type of installation but the basic software installation and use will be the same. If anyone gets a virtual install working, please post it up.

In some detail, this is what I did. Keep in mind that you should have some computer knowledge and know how to install Windows.

1. Installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP3. I didn't bother with updating anything else as far as security updates to Windows or install a virus scan because this computer will never be connected to the Internet or used for anything else.

2. Installed ALL the required drivers until there were no more yellow check marks in Device Manager. I failed to do this at first and caused a lot of headaches later, including a BSOD during software installation.

3. If you're using a USB to serial adapter, plug it in now and set it up. Go into Device Manager and make note of the COM port used by the adapter.

3. Install the Tis2000 software from the CD included with the Tech2. During the install, it will ask you to specify the COM port. If you have a serial port on the computer, it's probably COM 1 or use the one from the USB adapter.

4. Before you can use Tis2000 with your Tech2, you have to make it "think" that there is a dongle connected that authorizes it. You can download the crack below. Follow the read me file for instructions on how to use it.

That's it. More threads will come explaining how to do stuff with it but this will get you going.

And if you need them:

Tis2000 Dongle Crack
When you click on the links, they will bring you to 4Shared, click on "Free Download", a little window will pop up asking to log in using either a social media account or sign up for an account. Sign up with an email and password and then create a name. After that, you will be brought back to the download page and the 60 second timer will count down, after which the download will start.

Warning: In Tis2000, whatever you do, DO NOT USE THE "SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD" BUTTON! This will retrograde the card in your Tech2 to an old version from 2008.

Some more install info, especially for VM's, is also available in this thread from SaabCentral.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got it, Mooseman. Thank you so much.

I am now able to start my TIS2000 and the programming, but I read the VIN, it says to disconnect from OBD2 port, connector to computer. I disconnect from OBD2 port and it shuts off.

I am just trying to get it to the Vehicle Theft Deterrent. It will crank over and not start.

If I don't disconnect from OBD2, and let it return to Tech2 Start screen it will allow me into SPS on the laptop, select replace and reprogram ECM, select vehicle theft deterrent, and it pulls up a screen on laptop that says it is programming from Tech2. Except it seems to lock up, even leaving it a really long time with a fully charged battery and it had said to pull Fuse 19 and 51 from the rear fuse block.

When I follow the directions to a "t" it says to unplug the Tech2 from the car's OBD2 and that shuts it off and it won't power up from the cigarette lighter power adapter.

I don't have another good battery to try the 12v power terminals with, so I spent $15 and bought an AC power adapter and I am going to try to follow all the directions to a "t" and use the AC adapter for power and maybe that will make a difference.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're trying to program a module, there are two methods. I don't remember the exact terminology but one is pass-through and the other is using the Tech 2 as a go-between.

The pass-through is to use with a laptop in the vehicle and it just uses the Tech 2 as the connection between. This is the fastest and easiest way to do it.

The go-between method is for when you can't bring the computer into the vehicle and uses the Tech 2 as a go-between. You connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle and download the module information that you want to program. Then you disconnect, run to the computer running Tis2000, connect it to the computer and download the programming information for that module, disconnect again and run back to the vehicle, connect it and it automatically programs the module. It can take a long time depending on the module (PCM is the longest).

However, if you're getting crank but no start, it's not the Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) as it wouldn't even crank if that was the issue. Does the Lock symbol flash while cranking?

TAPLMM

Aug 26, 2017
California
And if you need them:

Tis2000 Dongle Crack

Edit 2017-06-30: Download links updated

Mooseman,
In trying to set up the dongle crack, the file downloads as a .7z which I have no idea what to do with. Any info on how to proceed would be much appreciated. Im trying to clear a TDS immobilizer event just as described in the last post in this thread, and using a new Tech 2 I just bought. Quite a few stumbling blocks as I proceed, but finding this thread has been a great help so far!

Thanks,

New Guy Dan

Nov 30, 2016
USA
It's a type of zip file... iirc the program is free and is literally called 7z. Just Google unzip 7z or something like that and try and get it from download.com or something reputable... it's freeware ... then you can right click on your file after you install and select "extract here"

Reactions: TAPLMM

TAPLMM

Aug 26, 2017
California
It's a type of zip file... iirc the program is free and is literally called 7z. Just Google unzip 7z or something like that and try and get it from download.com or something reputable... it's freeware ... then you can right click on your file after you install and select "extract here"

Thank You FixIt, kinda had to slap my forehead for not thinking of that...

jegten

Sep 4, 2017
Jax, Fl
Thanks Mooseman for posting this and for the Dongle crack. I was able to load up and setup my clone Tech 2 and TIS 2000 successfully.

I was able to link PIM to BCM using SPS in TIS, but am getting a TIS error-cannot connect database.
This happens when I choose Tech 2 in SPS, and when I choose pass-through, it stalls at Data Transfer page. It stays greyed out.

Thought I share and ask if anyone has encountered this.

Again, thank you so much for this contribution. :smile:

EDIT1-Oh! In your 3rd step-"Replace original Id.dll and SCAControlUI.exe with patched in ..\Program Files\cosids\bin", only Id.dll was 'replaced', SCAControlUI.exe didn't exist in that folder, so I just added it.

EDIT2-I read somewhere someone created an entry in the registry that fixed it, but he didn't write it and the pic attached was through photobucket lol, so it doesn't show now. lol

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What year vehicle you trying to update? If newer thanthan 08-09, it might be trying to connect to the mothership for programming info. Otherwise, all programming info should be in tis2000.

What's a PIM?

jegten

Sep 4, 2017
Jax, Fl
Good morning Mooseman. Thanks for the reply.

It is a 2004 GTO. They have a BCM, ECM, and PIM (Powertrain Interface Module). It linked the BCM and PIM fine with Tech 2, next step is to link ECM and PIM through Theft Deterrent Relearn. This is where I am having difficulties with the programming.

Also, I just noticed that when I click on the DDINST32.EXE, of course Express is greyed out, but it shows 'driver is not started'.

I connected and turned on Tech 2, and still. At the moment, I am looking for a way to turn the driver on.

Last edited:

jegten

Sep 4, 2017
Jax, Fl
Hey M-

I went ahead and plugged the USB Dongle just to see, and it completed the Transfer Data.

Maybe I did something wrong with the crack? Or maybe the fact I didn't have the SCAControlUI.exe to begin with?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I couldn't tell you since I don't have a dongle at all and trucks don't have PIM's. As long as you got it working :2thumbsup:

jegten

Sep 4, 2017
Jax, Fl
Huh! My reply never went through. Sorry. lol

Yeah, I am glad I got it going.

I wonder why the crack didn't work for me. I followed the easy steps, and replaced and ran things accordingly. Oh well! :smile:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The site barfed and we lost some posts so it's not you.:ok:

jegten

Sep 4, 2017
Jax, Fl
Hey M-

For my own sanity, we don't need to use the cig lighter adapter to provide ground for Tech 2 to run any of the features, right? e.g., crank relearn.

Thanks! :biggrin:

EDIT-I have not used the cig lighter so far, but read somewhere that person needed it, and it was an OBD2.
EDIT2-I just watched a video on youtube performing a crank pos learn, and he also used the cig lighter adapter. huh.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No, it works fine through the OBD port alone unless you have to crank the engine. Check for my other thread that explains a workaround for the faulty voltage regulator in the Tech 2, and it's not the cigarette lighter.

Reactions: jegten

h82loseejr

Mar 23, 2016
Pleasantville PA
Hey Mooseman. I lost my copy of TIS2000 like the install disk....I have tried to find a place to download and i still have not found one. The link to yours is coming back "File not found"

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm currently away from my laptop. I'll take a look later.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.