Clone purchase review

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Then you can turn around and return your defective one to either try and get a refund or another spare unit. Should have been covered by the warranty anyway.

{Knock on wood} Mine has worked perfectly. I always had the Candi hooked up and the green LED always flashed. Could hear it clicking when I would send commands. Both on my 02 and 06.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Tried candi on the crude (12) wouldn't communicate with the car. Module clicked and blinked though.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is the car listed? Could be because it's made by Daewoo? Have you tried it on another vehicle?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Is the car listed? Could be because it's made by Daewoo? Have you tried it on another vehicle?
Cruze... I'm really hating this new phone. :rotfl: If you're asking me, yes I believe it's listed.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, it should work. Interestingly, I just found this which would explain maybe why Tech 2 are getting cheaper and easily cloned without GM coming down on them:
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?m=201301

Tech 2 Final Update
postdateicon.png
January 28, 2013
In December 2012, GM North America released the final diagnostic software update for the Tech 2. The data — accessed via TIS2Web as a download — is used for the Tech 2 scan tool as well as the Tech2Win PC-based application. Although this update will be the final version for the Tech 2 scan tool, future Tech2Win application updates may be available.

janb_techlink_f03.jpg

Fig 3

The Tech 2 scan tool or Tech2Win application can be used for diagnosing 2013 model year and earlier GM vehicles. The Global Diagnostic System 2 (GDS 2) will be the only diagnostic tool for diagnosing vehicles for 2014 model year and beyond authored by GM.

If an issue is identified with the GM-authored Tech 2 software after December 2012, the issue will be evaluated and a decision will be made whether to author new Tech 2 software or to author the vehicle(s) in question in GDS 2. If the fix is implemented in the Tech 2 software, there will be a special, unscheduled release of the software through TIS2Web.

Although the GM software updates for the Tech 2 will conclude, GM will continue to support the Tech 2 hardware.

If you have any questions regarding Tech 2 support, contact the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French).

– Thanks to Chris Henley

So if you're looking at a Tech 2 for a 2014+ vehicle, you're SOL. Technologically speaking, the Tech 2 is ancient.

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Received 2nd Candi today. It does not work. Strike 2. Neither of the Candi's I have are recognized by the Tech2 when hooked up to my 06 TB... nor does Candi Diagnostics recognize presence of adapter on Tech2. No blinking green LED... nothing. Frustrating as hell. Opened a dispute ticket with Seller. This is the same seller I bought my Tech2/Candi from back in February. We'll see what he does...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could be something with the Tech 2 not seeing the Candi. Too bad you can't test on another Tech 2 or another known working Candi.

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Purchased an original used Vetronix Candi from ebay that was untested and had a butchered cable. After all I like taking chances :biggrin:. Anyway, I swapped in the cables from my (1st one purchased with Tech2) dead clone Candi and it works!
I sent the 2nd dead clone Candi back to China because, you know, I like to spend $33 in postage to try and get my $42 back or another clone Candi that I now don't need. Anyway, happy that I can now communicate with my 06 SWB 5.3. Now I get to troubleshoot why cylinder one has an occasional miss (up to 20 times in 30 seconds). Yea! - its a DOD cylinder! Maybe I get to do DOD delete sooner than I thought :biggrin:. Obviously I'm hoping its a spark plug, wire, or coil... but knowing my luck...

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one, but I am still confused. (Not that hard, at my age.) We have two Trailblazers: 04 and 06. From what I understand, I will need to install that TIS software or whatever it is, on the tool to do anything more than diagnostics? I don't have an old laptop but I have a Mac with Windows Vista running in Boot Camp and it takes a PCMCIA card. I also have several USB-to-RS232 port adapters. Can I install straight to the PCMCIA card itself, or will I need to run from USB-adapter-cable-tool?

Prices seem to run about $250U.S. right now, but there are TONS of sellers on Ali. I don't always trust reviews either because I know there are companies that will do nothing but fill a page with positive reviews. How do I decide?

If I can't install the TIS software, what are my other options? Can another forum member in Canada who has one install it for me? If so, do I need to send them the whole tool or just the PCMCIA card?

Can someone run me through the whole process for the 04/06 Trailblazer? I need to order the tool, CANDI module, TIS software disks; install the TIS software somehow; anything else? Anything I need to find/hack/cheat?

Thanks.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I will need to install that TIS software or whatever it is, on the tool to do anything more than diagnostics?

No, it will do all diagnostics and testing. What you won't be able to do is reprogram modules or security related stuff like changing a VIN in a radio. I even used it on my 2011 Caprice but I won't be able to do the other stuff without a subscription at ACDelco.

I don't have an old laptop but I have a Mac with Windows Vista running in Boot Camp and it takes a PCMCIA card. I also have several USB-to-RS232 port adapters. Can I install straight to the PCMCIA card itself, or will I need to run from USB-adapter-cable-tool?

Only if you want to reprogram modules you will need a computer. If you do, then you would certainly need a Windows laptop, preferably with a serial port, or you can use a USB to serial adapter. PCMCIA is not required. It just stays in the Tech 2.
Prices seem to run about $250U.S. right now, but there are TONS of sellers on Ali. I don't always trust reviews either because I know there are companies that will do nothing but fill a page with positive reviews. How do I decide?

Buy the cheapest one you can find. They are more than likely made in the same factory. I didn't get a case with mine, saving a few more bucks, and just used an old laptop case. Less bulky.

If I can't install the TIS software, what are my other options? Can another forum member in Canada who has one install it for me? If so, do I need to send them the whole tool or just the PCMCIA card?

Not necessary. You will receive the PCMCIA card pre-programmed as you request, likely for GM North America. The Tech 2 will work out of the box with the included card.

Can someone run me through the whole process for the 04/06 Trailblazer? I need to order the tool, CANDI module, TIS software disks; install the TIS software somehow; anything else? Anything I need to find/hack/cheat?

I did do a thread here somewhere on how to install Tis2000 in case you ever need it. When ordering, you just have to tell them which card you want (GM North America). It will be good for vehicles up to 2014.

You won't regret it!

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks! That answers my questions. Sometimes, there is just TOO much information on forums, and it is hard to wade through hundreds of pages to find the most basic stuff. I am getting one next month with the nice little cheque I got for training some actor guy how to shoot a gun fast and accurate. Can't remember his name but it was something like "john" something, or he was in "john" something. Oh well. It goes to a good cause.

As for your Caprice, congrats. One of what I do for what my wife laughingly refers to as "a living" is police vehicle editor for a national police magazine. I know the whole story about the Caprice, and even about why it wasn't sold in Canada. I have written about it many times. They are highly prized by officers in the U.S., but are just too expensive to continue the line. After all, GM makes less per unit on fleet sales than they make selling Chevrolet baseball caps at the parts counter, and their total sales numbers for the whole year were less than what Ford accidentally drops off the back of car transporters in a week.

Last edited:

John in RI

Oct 17, 2018
Greene, RI
I bought a full kit on 10-22-18 and it was delivered here on 10-26-18. I purchased from http://www.chinacardiags.com and had no issues. I'd recommend the full kit with the case,...... simply because IMO the case is additional *insurance* / shipping protection. Items damaged in shipping are a PITA to deal with even if it was shipped from the next town over - never mind returning a damaged item shipped from Hong Cong.

No problems running it thru it's self test and getting it connected to my truck. Seems like I'm gonna' have to get my hands on a old notebook if I want to use this thing to it's potential. Didn't do much with it yet due to 'fear of the unknown' as I don't want to screw up my truck by 'bricking' the PCM or something stupid like that. I've wanted a Tech 2 since I bought my 95Z back in Y2K. Now that I've got one ( even if it's a knock off ) I've got a lot to learn and a lot of questions !!!!!

:cool:

Reactions: Mooseman

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
sorry to bother yall but I bought one of them clones, when i first got it it worked pretty good.. once in awhile it would tell me that there was no communication with anything and i would have to back out and start over... then the green light would work sometimes on the candi.. I did a update on the tech 2 and now it says that there is no candi at all... is the candi bad or bad software I need some advice if someone could help

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Noooooooo! There is no update available. If you performed an update from Tis2000, then you reverted your card to a 2008 or older version instead of the last 2014 one that was already on the card. Either you will need to get another card or figure a way to re-update it with the 2014 version, and that info is not available here. It may be impossible as you would need a very old laptop with an old PCMCIA slot.

You may just have a bad Candi unit.

• Sad
Reactions: Blckshdw

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
I think it is a bad candi... I did get the tis2000 cd with it and it has the software 29.10 or close to that number I can't remember off the top of my head.... I do the self check and the candi pass but when its on the car it says there is none...I may have to order one right from vertex
Noooooooo! There is no update available. If you performed an update from Tis2000, then you reverted your card to a 2008 or older version instead of the last 2014 one that was already on the card. Either you will need to get another card or figure a way to re-update it with the 2014 version, and that info is not available here. It may be impossible as you would need a very old laptop with an old PCMCIA slot.

You may just have a bad Candi unit.

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
I think the candi is just bad.... I have looked at everythin on it... I emailed the company that i had purchased it from and they said that they have to contact there supplier and find out what they want to do... I have a feeling that this is goin to be a run around or end up to be a big joke.. so I think i am just goin to go a ahead and buy one from someone else.. I think i can find a true gm candi... at least I hope I can and that its prices resonable..

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
I have never dealt with a company quite like the one that i bought my tech 2 from. They told me that they are trying to get in contact with there supplier to find out what to do.... they also said that I could take it to a local shop to have it fixed and that they would reimburse me... Normally wouldn't a company say that they are sorry for the trouble and we will send ya new one out.. I had convey this to them and told them if we can't get this fixed that I am going to have to go to ebay on it

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Before going that route... you might want to try and save yourself a lot of grief by simply ordering another, separate GM PCMCIA Card... pre-programmed with the last and latest version of the GM Tech 2 Software ... and swap it into your "GYMKO" Clone Tech 2. Then start from scratch with the correct PDF set up procedures for connecting up everything and try to using the Candi Device once again.

This will only cost you a little under $20.00 ...so if you find yourself back to square one afterwards... it will not be much of a loss in coin. This is the link to the sale of this card from AliExpress.com... and be certain to identify it by the "Color" as "For GM" during the Check Out Procedures to ensure that you will get the correct card:

TECH2CLONECARD.jpg

It is important to remember that when connecting up the 12 VDC Power Source... to insert the Power Plug into the DLC connector of the Cable Plug that inserts into the Female OBD2 Port of the Vehicle... rather than inserting it into the Power Port located at the base of the Tech 2 Hand Held Scanner. THIS could make all the difference in whether or not the Candi device AND the Tech 2 work properly.

Last edited:

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
if there was something wrong with the update would the tech 2 still work? I see there is a card that has gm version 33 is that the update them? kinda wish there was a way to find out for sure if the candi is bad or if it is the card.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it may be the Candi unit that's defective. The card is fine but may have been reverted to an old update. Check to see if you can select a model year higher than 2009 with cars or other pickup trucks.

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
I had contacted vetronix about my issue... I thought since it was there number that was on all the call info I would see if they are the ones that might warranty it.. I was told to give them the numbers off of it all and they would see if in fact it is under there warranty.. I asked them if the candi could be bad... they said it could be or there is something that went internally wrong with the tech 2

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If yours is a clone from China, Vetronix will tell you to pound sand. Or they will happily sell you a real Candi for several hundred $.

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
Honestly I don't know all the stickers that came with it are for Vetronix... all the part numbers are for them and the cd was a bosch cd so I really don't know... the company I got it from said they had to contact there supplier. Which they did get back to me and said they would send me a free return postage and once they got it back to there warehouse they would give me a full refund. But i don't know how well i trust that,,, I send them my scanner what's to say the just don't do shit.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Won't they just replace it? Except for the "reboot on engine start" issue, my clone has worked great.

And that's what a clone is, an exact copy down to every detail except it's still a copy not made by the original company Vetronix.

Reactions: Redbeard

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
well u was right vetronix said they didn't make it so no dice.. the company that i bought it from for some reason won't exchange it for a diff one they just want to give me a refund. which is kinda odd if I do say so myself

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which company is this? Is it US or China based?

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
china of course lol... and ya know how they work,,, I said the hell with it and pulled the rrigger and ordered a new candi and I am hopin like hell that is all that is wrong with it...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you check for the range of years available in the Tech 2? You could check in the 1500 pickups. Should be able to select up to 2014. If there isn't anything available beyond 2008 or 2009, you'll need another card.

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
mine is only to 09... I will have to get a diff card later,, good thing my two cars i need it for are 05 lol.. I paid 96 for the new candi that is up to date.. just hope it will be better then the one that came with the tech 2 when i got it

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
it would be kinda cool if a person could get the 33.00 version software and just upload it on your card.. I mean its still the 32 mb card same thing... I am just wondering since these are clones that they don't have all the same access to the reg stuff that the gm ones do

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The problem with 'just loading it up...' is that the PCMCIA Cards common to the ones that can have Read-Write capability use an acceptable technology for all disk drives of modern computers called "ATA". The GM Vetronix PCMCIA Cards use a completely different technology and demand an odd formatting method called "LINEAR"... and thus it employs what is called: "Erase Before Re-Write" principles that are generally not compatible with the ATA PCMCIA Card Slot Readers present within PCs and Laptops. And by the way... Assuming you have the Latest Updates (NOT Via TIS2WEB) They come with EVERYTHING necessary that the OEM GM Tech 2 PCMCIA Cards have.

The other more problematic issue is that LINEAR PCMCIA Cards use a Very, Very Low amount of DC Voltage for their activation during R/Ws and therein lies the key to their unbelievable durability and reliability, as they start on the low end at around 100,000 Reads and Writes before risking an MTBF and they can end up at around 1,000,000 R/Ws for the most expensive flavors of these cards... which is essentially a PERFECT MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures).

The BIG problem with BOTH cards however is that these cards have identical Female Pin-Outs in their interfacing...so if you freelance and make the mistake of placing and addressing the LINEAR PCMCIA Cards within the common Readers of the Windows PCs and Laptops... the excessively high voltages present WILL Destroy the Card...and the solid state memory cores therein.

Likewise ...if you make the mistake of placing a Common ATA PCMCIA Card inside of the either Slot A or Slot B of your "GYMKO" Tech 2 Scanner... a similar problem can ruin the MOBO-Logic-Board inside. In short, Please... Do NOT experiment with trying out any of the variations of these PCMCIA Cards in between your PCs-Laptops and the "GYMKO" Tech 2 Clone Scanner ...and you will not regret this reading this Cautionary Tale. :>)

There IS one possible way of Duplicating your Tech 2 - TIS2000 Version 33.04 Systems Software and THAT involves obtaining an un-formatted LINEAR PCMCIA Card (...for around $100.00) and then placing it into the Slot B position while using a Good GM OEM Ver. 33.04 PCMCIA Card in its designated Slot A... and then using the TIS2000 Software Feature... you can CLONE an existing Good Card onto the Slot B LINEAR PCMCIA Card.

Last edited:

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
ah so when they made the clones they couldn't really copy all the tech that was needed to make them a true gm tech 2 like certain stuff was in encrypted that they couldn't hack

oh and question what the hell is that midi thing

It also would have been nice to be able to use window's 10 for the tis2000 I have a small laptop that would have worked great for tat jbo

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Forgive this idea... but that is a leap of action that would make no sense. The Market that opened up the possibility for the use of all these Clones happened back in the 1990s over in Europe and involved servicing a lot more than just GM Platforms... including Chrysler and Ford and while GM, and Hewlett-Packard and Bosch may have maintained some level of HARDWARE Secrecy, in the end... they simply achieved this initially by cutting off the source of manufacture and distribution of the OEM 6 to 20 Volt DC-to-DC Power Converter Modules for the GM OEM Tech 2 Scanners.

The Chinese responded by sourcing that converter design out in other locations. But unfortunately, the operating voltages in there alternative design(s) were in the slightly less robust min-max range of only 9 to 18 Volts. Please consider that there have been way too many success stories and repeated uses of the "GYMKO" flavors of the OEM GM tech 2s without flaws or failures to imagine that the OEM GM Operating System would have been deliberately shunted enough to make it " only work only ONCE in while" if used on any Tech 2 Clone.

"The MIDI Thing" as you call it... is an Older 1980s Computer Technology Interface; usually sold separately as a Peripheral IDE Card such as on the Old SoundBlaster Cards... and used for controlling things like Moog Synthesizers and Electronic Musical Instruments - Pianos and Organs, etc for the Electronic Audio Manipulation and Audio to Digital Conversions required ... But I'm not sure how that topic applies in the case of this Thread. .......???

Uh Ohhh... If You are thinking about trying to hook the GYMKO Scanner into a MIDI Port on your Legacy Laptop.... I would NOT attempt to do that If I Were YOU... Not unless you want to BRICK your GYMKO Unit into an Interesting Conversation Piece!

As for using Windows 10 for Running tis2000 or TIS2WEB ... Here is the link that will edify you on how that can be done:

I'd like to suggest that you visit the TECH 2 Main Forum Page ...and start in the Blue Sticky Section... and Read EVERYTHING. Most of the questions you have brought up have already been covered there (ad nauseum) and in great detail. :>)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So all that to say you need to buy a new card with the latest software version. And it was mentioned in one of those stickies:

Warning: In Tis2000, whatever you do, DO NOT USE THE "SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD" BUTTON! This will retrograde the card in your Tech2 to an old version from 2008.

Reactions: mrrsm

daddyscaddy05

Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
well i def think my candi was bad at least the new one lite up like its suppose to.. but the card is bad and I have one coming when i got the one with my clone it was only 96 to 2008 that's why i did the update not knowing that 2710 was still not the newest update.... at least this one is prgramed with all the newest stuff

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nice!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If that's the case, at least he's ready to issue a refund

Forum Statistics

Threads