And the hunt ends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got a flight planned, but not booked, one way, for 30 bucks....
That's it? Is it a paper plane? That is dirt cheap. You can't drive for that little.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That's it? Is it a paper plane? That is dirt cheap. You can't drive for that little.
Yeap, thats it.. Its actually 25, plus taxes, 28.40 total.

Edit: At that price, I might upgrade to first class.. Cause why not. New Total. 58.40

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
FYI - Ran into a You Tuber who may have some insight on the Escalade and swapping some things out, including the AWD system.

I watched videos today from him on swapping in a 4L80e (after rebuilding it); installing a different AWD case (b/c the spline count on the output shafts differ), etc.

His username is A21Bravo. You'll find a ton of stuff by him. The sections / project you'll want to look at, he calls his 'Dadillac'. He's also hopped it up a bit, too.

If you watch long enough, you'll see that he also builds a turbo system on the truck.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
They got the loan check this morning, and the lady at the dealer called, said I have good news, and bad news. Got your loan check this morning for the Escalade, but one of the other sales people sold it about an hour before we got the couriered check.

I am just having zero luck.. Mother F*&^%$*&%(*!!!

Told her to send the check back to the finance company

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Went and looked at a NNBS Yukon yesterday. Wont be buying that either. Had the options I wanted, but was just uncomfortable. GM, being an American company, seems to have forgotten that a lot of Americans are FAT, and need a bigger seat. The new Yukon's are built for skinny ass's.

The rest of the market seems to be baron on the used market, or extremely overpriced. Theres a local guy selling a 2013 Escalade for 42k. Its worth, on a good day, maybe 24-26. Its really low miles. But no where near 42k.

Another stupidly overpriced truck..

Got a Rainier V8 that I keep looking at, and its still on the dealers lot (surprisingly), with 51k miles. But I think its just going to be to small moving forward. They are also asking a bit much for it, at 12k. It does have the RSE, but no Sunroof. Its a really pretty color too. I think it would be a great car for the wife, but she just wont let go of her Aztek.

:poke::deadhorse::bonk:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just keep going like you are and don't do like me and desperation shop. That's what happened to me with the Av after the Saab's engine blew and wound up with a problem plagued rust bucket.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just bought a 08 yukon XL w dead lifter from DOD but that just means newly built motor. A member from here keyed me into it last night and sent payment before it went to auction.

I really wanted an ESV but one decently priced sold n had no luck on any another

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
All due respects and I feel that we are all basically all GM guys and this is a GM site but, why limit the search to GM.
Other companies make great trucks too and as much as I hate straying out of my comfort zone I have to say it has been a refreshing experience for me.
Hey, it's your money and you deserve to get what works for you regardless of who makes it.:twocents:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have been looking at other makes. Problem comes down to, I need a full size. So it limits to a few vehicles.

Dodge doesn't really make a full size, but have been looking for a Durango v8 to at least look at.

Jeep Commander v8 would be a good one, if I could find one, that isn't beat, and low miles

Toyota/Lexus is out. Not even really considering them. Insanely overpriced anyways.

Nissan/Infinity I have been looking, they are generally better priced than ToyLex. The 5.6 in the Armada/QX are actually pretty good engines.

Been looking for a Ford/Lincoln Expedition/Navigator with the 5.0 Coyote engine (no Triton please), but those are generally hard to find. They are out there thou. But Ford electronics are always garbage, especially the Sync crap. The new Lincoln Aviator GT would be awesome, but not really looking to drop 70g, and I don't want a Ford anything with a turbo.

Can't afford a Benz GLE

NO BMW!
NO VW!
NO AUDI!

I like being able to work on my cars, and the Germans really don't want you to.

Back on the GM side, nothing newer than 2006, and I want the 6.0 if at all possible. Hate the 2007+ interior, feels so cheap, and not comfortable. 2014+ are a bit better, but not by much. And the 2021's I really don't like. Love the 3.0 Dmax, interior is no bueno.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All due respects and I feel that we are all basically all GM guys and this is a GM site but, why limit the search to GM.
Other companies make great trucks too and as much as I hate straying out of my comfort zone I have to say it has been a refreshing experience for me.
Hey, it's your money and you deserve to get what works for you regardless of who makes it.:twocents:
I have been looking at other makes.

Heresy! Both of you thou shalt be banned! (Just kidding :biggrin: )

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I find.. What I think is the holy grail (for me)..

Get to the dealer, and look at the truck, and red flags are just going off, at alarming rates..

I find the truck had been sold recently as a Theft Recovery..

Heres the problem.. The dealer CAN NOT legally sell this truck

Why?

The truck literally has NOT A SINGLE VIN TAG on the entire truck..

Engine block? Gone
Firewall? Gone
Glovebox? Gone
Frame Rail? Gone
Each door (5), plus hood, and glass, and...? GONE
Transmission? Gone

He cant sell it, without catching a Felony for selling a vehicle with a Altered VIN.

Anyone with a sharp eye will see the next glaring problem..
The speedometer in the theft auction is a silver overlayed Regency speedo (no miles showing)
The speedometer in the craigslist ad is Black showing 56k miles. And these are the miles the dealer is claiming the truck has.. No way to verify it.

The drivers seat looks more like it has 130k miles.

Its a shame, other than no locking axle, it has all the options I want.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Hey @TollKeeper , I'm in the same situation, every turn I make something is wrong or it gets sold.

There's a 2013 Suburban coming up for sale in a few days near me, a bit more than I want to pay for it, but it's worth it.

2013 2500 LT with I believe 80 sh K miles in the low $30's. Dark bronze exterior, black interior, 2nd row buckets.

I can send you the info.

I looked at a 2012 Yukon XL Denali today, very clean and was surprised to see it has a 2nd row bench.

What was more surprising......is THEY DON'T FREAKING RECLINE! WTH? Edited to add: Unless the 2nd row bench reclines with a pull of a different lever, can anyone confirm this?

Apparently you need 2nd row buckets to have the recline feature so that may be one I reluctantly pass up. One more discovery I have made in my quest.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thanks for the offer, but I am after a SWB Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade. Dont need the 2500, or the LWB.. Hell, I dont even need the 3rd row. But you cant buy one of these trucks without it, unless its a SSV (Police) package.

Reactions: gmcman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I have been seriously considering:
Volvo XC90 V8 (2009-2011)
Infinity FX45
Infinity FX50
Infinity QX70 (2014 Only, V8)

Your right, these are quite a bit smaller than a GMT (Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade). But I really wanted something that was spirited. TBSS are way to expensive, (14-20k), but I am not counting them out, and I would be stupid to. I know how to work on them!

After researching quite a bit over the last few days, I am leaning towards the Volvo.

Granted, the FX50/QX70 have about 75-80 more HP.. But I just have a hard time going with a Nissan. I just really dont like them. My boss swears by the Infinity he is in, Q50 3.0 Twin Turbo. These actually have a motor that was only designed for the FX50/QX70, and its a race car drop in engine, slightly detuned (390hp vs 420hp).

Test drove a XC90 V8, that was a fun ride. Quick, snappy, easy to maneuver, great stereo. The downside is, the Bluetooth conversion is expensive, about 500-600 bucks!

Could always do a Porsche Cayenne.. Wait, no I couldnt, I am not made of money!

Of course it all comes down to Money..
I can get a low mile XC90 v8 for around 8-10k
Local

Road Trip
Deleted - Not a V8

I can get a FX45 for around 5-6k for high miles or 13k with low miles
Low mile

High Mile (needs work)

I can get a high mile FX50 for 14k

I cant seem to find a QX70

I can get a low mile TBSS for 18k

I really like that Road Trip XC90.. Would mean a road trip to get it, but it has all the options I want! It also has a really rare, 2nd row, bucket seat option. Edit: Nevermind this one, it is a I-6. The worst of the 3 engine options for these cars.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
An SS with cloth seats? Never seen that before. Fun thing about the SS is that it can haul the family as well as ass. However my only concern is that they could potentially have been beaten like a rented mule stop sign to stop sign.

Reactions: northcreek

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well.... I did a thing...

Vehicle Photo 1

Picking it up Saturday. Only missing items that I wanted is the RSE, but I can survive without, thats what they tablets for.

I cant believe they were trying to sell this for nearly 16g. It needs 5000 in "dealer" repairs. Real pricing, probably 1000.

BrandLight TruckModelTahoe / Yukon / Escalade - 06 Bodystyle (4WD / AWD)
BodyYUKON CLASSIC 4 DR 1/2 TONEngineENGINE,6.0L(6.0N),V8,MFI,IRON,HIGH OUTPUT
TransmissionTRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC 3-SPEED(THM325)
Original EPC Decode:
922TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER, PEWTER1SZDISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE
59UEXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,FINE SILVER BIRCH MET6XKSPRING COMPTR SELECT FRT LH
7XKSPRING COMPTR SELECT FRT RH92IINTERIOR TRIM SHALE/PEWTER
A31WINDOW POWER OPERATED, ALL DOORSAG1ADJUSTER FRT ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL, DRIVER
AG2ADJUSTER PASS ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONALADJUSTER,SEAT,6-WAY POWER,SPLIT BENCH,PASSENGERAJ1WINDOW TINTED DEEP, ALL EXCEPT W/S AND DRS
AJ7RESTRAINT SYSTEM SEAT, INFLATABLE, DRIVER & PASS, FRT & SIDEAL0SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR
AL4SUSPENSION,FIRM RIDE HANDLING,FRONT AND REARAN3SEAT FRT, INDIVIDUAL/NON-BKTSEAT,FRONT DRIVER,PASSENGER
ARLPLANT CODE-ARLINGTON TX, CPCAS3SEAT REAR UTILITY
AU0LOCK CONTROL,REMOTE ENTRY(KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM)(USED WITH TROFEO SPORT COUPE WL3)AXPVEHICLE TYPE MULTI-PURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLE
B30FLOOR COVERING-CARPET STDB58COVERING FLOOR MAT, FRT & RR, CARPETED INSERT
BS1INSULATION,ACOUSTICAL(USED WITH SSE Y85)BVFSTEPS RUNNINGBOARD, SIDE, COLOR KEYED
BW2ORNAMENTATION,EXTERIOR,BRIGHT BODY SIDE MOLDING WITH DUAL BLACK ACCENTC25WASHER&WIPER-BACK WINDOW
C36HEATER,AUXILIARYC49DEFOGGER,REAR WINDOW,ELECTRIC
C5WGVW RATING 7,000 LBSC69HVAC SYSTEM RR AIR CONDITIONER
CF5ROOF - SUN, GLASS, SLIDING, ELECCJ2HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT
D07CONSOLE FRT COMPT, FLOOR, CUSTOMDF5MIRROR,OUTSIDE,REARVIEW,ELECTRIC REMOTE,THERMOMETER ILLUMINATED
DH6MIRROR,INSIDE,VISOR VANITY,RH AND LH(ILLUM) ILLUM S/S MIR(DH6)DK8CONSOLE ROOF INTERIOR, DELUXE
DL3MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED, POWER FOLDINGE52DOORS,REAR WRAPAROUND(83 INCHES)
EVATEST DVT, EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENTFK2ARM,TORSION BAR,SPRING ADJUST,LH
FK3ARM,TORSION BAR,SPRING ADJUST,RHG69LEVEL CONTROL AUTO, AIR, HD
GT4FINAL DRIVE RATIO - 3.73:1 (GM CODE)JF4PEDALS ADJUSTABLE, POWER
JH2BRAKE HYD POWER, DISC/DISC, 7,200 LBSJL4CONTROL ACTIVE BRAKE
K34CRUISE CONTROL AUTOMATIC, ELECTRONICK47AIR CLEANER HIGH CAPACITY
KA6VACUUM SYSTEM,BELT DRIVENKC4COOLING SYSTEM,ENGINE OIL(EXPORT-IRAQ)
KNPCOOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTYKUPTHROTTLE CONTROL ELECTRONIC
KW1GENERATOR,160 AMPLQ9ENGINE,2.5L(2.5-2),L4,TBI
M32TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L65-E, ELECTRONIC, HDN30STEERING WHEEL,2-SPOKE,LEATHER(DELUXE)(USED WITH ULTRA W24)
N94SIMULATED WIRE WHEEL DISC(14)NC7EMISSION SYSTEM,UNLEADED FUEL(EXPORT)
NR3TRANSFER CASE ALL WHEEL DRIVE (AWD), OPEN DIFF, SINGLE SPEEDNU4EMISSION SYSTEM CALIFORNIA LEV2 PLUS
PDCCONTROL SALES ITEM NO. 120QANTIRE ALL P265/70R17 BW R/PE ST TL AL2 113S
R4YTYRE BRAND - GOODYEARR6PSALES ITEM NO.15 - 8VK69 - 8GF
R9NCONTROL SALES ITEM NO. 89SAFLOCK SPARE TIRE, HOIST SHAFT
SLMSALES PROCESSING STOCK ORDERST74HEADLAMPS CONTROL AUTOMATIC, DELAY
T96LAMP,FRONT FOG(USED WITH DELUXE SPORT PKG W32)TL1GRILLE,SPECIAL
U1SPLAYER MULTIPLE COMPACT DISCU2KDIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND
U84ANTENNA BODY SIDE WINDOW, RADIOUD7SENSOR INDICATOR REAR PARKING ASSIST
UG1OPENER GARAGE DOOR, UNIVERSALUM8RADIO,AM/FM STEREO,TAPE,ETR
UQ7SPEAKER SYSTEM,6,DUAL INSTRUMENT PANEL,SAIL MOUNTED,STANDARD SPEAKER AND SUBWOOFERV1KPLANT OPERATION BUICK SKYLARK LIMITED NAMEPLATE
V54LUGGAGE CARRIER ROOF, PAINTEDV73VEHICLE STATEMENT US/CANADA
V76HOOK,FRONT TOW(EXPORT)VR4TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM)
VT4BUMPER,REAR,PAINTED,INCLUDES IMPACT STRIPS(DELUXE)VXSLABEL COMPLETE VEHICLE
VZ2CALIBRATION- SPEEDOMETER(EXPORT)XANTIRE FRONT P265/70R17 BW R/PE ST TL AL2 113S
Y91LUXURY EDITION PACKAGEMERCHANDISED PKG LUXURY EDITIONYANTIRE REAR 225/70R19.5 G 126/128 N BW TL CTL
YD3AXLE FRONT (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATEYD5SPRING FRONT BASE EQUIPMENT
YD6SPRING RR, BASE EQUIPMENTYE9CONVENIENCE PKG COMFORT & DECOR LEVEL #3
YF5CALIFORNIA EMISSION CERTIFICATIONZ55TOP,REMOVABLE(LT SLATE-TEXTURED)
Z75SHOCKS,FRONT QUADZ82TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH)
ZNKTIRE SPARE P245/75R16 BW R/PE ST TL ALS 109SZY1COLOR COMBINATION SOLID

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Congrats! Looks like it's in nice shape except for that dent in the right front fender. What kind of repairs does it need? I'll betcha it's the active suspension.

Edit: Just saw their estimate. I was right. Likely the same as my Avy. Basically electronically controlled air shocks. Parts are expensive if you want it working again but can run without it with regular shocks. Just an annoying message to service suspension system on each startup.

Repairs.png

Missing spare? WTF?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The repairs quoted are..

Handle for the Tilt Column - $89
Rear Suspension - $2374
Belts - $89
Spare Tire - $303
Rear Brakes - $300
Trans Cooler Lines - $367
Tires - $818
Oil Pan - $646
Valley Covers - $282
Valve Covers - $346
Total - $5614

Real Cost
800 for tires
30 for spare tire and rim (used)
30-200 Rear brakes (pads only, or pads and rotors)
150ish? for a new aftermarket trans cooler
Dont know on the rear suspension, have to look at it.
$30 Belts
And thats it.

Couldnt find a oil pan leak, valve cover leak, or valley pan leak.

Theres a kit you can buy at Advanced Auto Parts to plug in the AAS to get rid of the message.

Reactions: christo829 and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, they're basically resistors at each shock connector to fake the presence of the actual shocks. My problem is that even the module was gone so no help there. Minor annoyance.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So a weird thing happened with the loan..

The bank is giving me a loan at a 3.9%
Its not a standard auto loan, as they -DONT- want any lien paperwork

I was so happy about this, saves me some time, and money.
Just never seen a loan like this.. I think this is a signature loan?
Bank never even asked me what I was buying, age, VIN, NOTHING.
Wired the money over, and is pending on my account right now.

Found a local guy (to where I am buying the truck) selling a set of wheels off his Silverado, I asked if I could just buy the spare (with new tire).. Done deal. $50.

Now I just hope the jack, and all that other stuff is in there.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just never seen a loan like this.. I think this is a signature loan?
It does sound like it, if they have no security interest. Nice. You'll have clear title.

And congrats on finding your truck :thumbsup:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Couldnt find a oil pan leak, valve cover leak, or valley pan leak.
That does seem weird to replace the pan and covers on the engine, are the gaskets integral with those items...:confused:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe because of its age they can't use it as collateral so it's just a regular loan. So no lien which is cool.

I was wondering if you were gonna bring that spare on the plane with you according to your other post but then you said here you found it local to the truck :laugh:. You should ask the dealer if the jack and tools are there as they can disappear over time. For the longest time I've resisted getting CAA (AAA in the US) and since then I've used it enough times to make it worth it. Latest was when the tranny line blew off the cooler on the Avy and got her towed home. A couple of times I've had the door unlocked too due to my own stupidity. :redface: And as a bonus, saving a ton of money (~$1000) on insurance with their own insurance as well as discounts all over the place.

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I just enrolled into AAA today.. Thanks for the tip. 550 mile trip.. AAA would be a good idea.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Drove it home yesterday, no issues. Drove great. Had to get new tires before I left. I'm sure the tire shop loved me coming in 15 minutes before closing. The spare tire I had arranged to get before I left, seller flaked out on me. Navigation didn't work the entire trip home, started working when I pulled into my driveway. No key fobs, and generic keys (no PK3 system, yay)

Rear shocks are completely blown, air compressor is inop, stereo works awesome, all lights work, small other things I need to fix. Somebody screw drivered the drivers door to break in, gotta get a reinforcement plate for that. Sunroof works, but the sunshade doesn't work as it should. Small dent in the passenger front fender. Lost a center cap on the way home. Rear brake pads. Gate glass handle needs replaced.

Already got my Bluetooth module from the envoy installed.

Other than I need to get used to driving something that is bigger than the envoy, its a good truck so far.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Congrats on your new acquisition. I do believe you are the first Caddy truck owner on the forum. Same as a Chevy, just fancier :smile:

Just a bit of TLC and she'll back in shape.

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Is there a way to easily tell if my 'lade is supposed to have the PK3 system, and is either bypassed, or chip taped to the steering column module, without taking apart the steering column?

I also noticed my trucks key in the ignition dinger isnt working, which is why I asked the question.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looked through the master list of option codes and found nothing.

According to this, there is no chip:

The key reminder is just a simple switch. You can have a key from a different truck in it and it will still ding. Probably just need to check that the switch is closing. Maybe the volume is programmable?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Im beginning to think this might have been a theft recovery, or at least a B/E, or maybe something. Theres not anything big, or crazy wrong. Just little things that add up.

The key in the ignition dinger, plus the drivers door showing signs of being broken into. The cluster is brand new, although programmed to the actual miles on the truck.

And the keys I was given do not work in the lock for the spare tire carrier.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
VATS might have been turned off in the PCM however the security light would still flash. BCM says DON'T START and the PCM ignores it.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
No light, and its got a standard, no plastic head/no chip, key.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's possible that the spare tire lock is just seized. Happened to me on the Saab's door lock, probably from non-use. I'd just drill it out and keep it off. I don't hear about spares getting stolen here.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Cant say it was that.. I had a stash of other GM keys I pick up from the junk yard. Found a key that slotted in perfect, turned like butter. Didn't install the lock back, just put the tire underneath. Definitely a different cut than what the key I have is.

Oh yea, found a tire and rim on Craigslist for $30. I now have a spare!

Reactions: christo829 and Matt

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
This have an aftermarket radio??

Chimes, like the key in ignition ding ding function through the factory radio. I have read that this can be supported by replacement audio equipment but not always.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Factory navigation.. all the other chimes work, just not the key reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member