2002 Silverado not shifting past 2nd gear.

mloranzan

Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Ohio
I recently purchased a 2002 silverado lt with the 5.3 and 4l60e trans in it. When driving it shifts from 1st to 2nd perfectly fine, but when it goes to shift into 3rd it just stays in 2nd. It's like it is holding 2nd and not attempting to go into 3rd.

All of the threads I've read about the 3-4 clutch packs failing, they say that when it goes to shift into 3rd it feels like it's going into neutral. That is not the case with mine. It is simply holding 2nd gear.

I have replaced the A and B shift solenoids, new filter and fluid and had no change. I have changed the ignition switch and VSS also with no change. I have checked the ign 0 fuse and the btsi fuse and both checked out fine.

I have tested wiring from PCM to the trans and everything checked out fine. I am getting power to the trans and the A, B and TCC solenoids all ohm'd perfectly fine.

I have ruled out the 3-4 clutch packs by disconnecting the trans harness and driving it. It put the trans in "limp mode" and only drove in 3rd. I also am not getting any codes.

Is there something else that I may be missing? I feel like I have checked everything possible.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This thread was resolved with a new filter and fluid but you did that already:

What was the fluid condition and contents of the pan like when you changed it?

This one says the tranny needs a rebuild:

Reactions: mrrsm

mloranzan

Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Ohio
This thread was resolved with a new filter and fluid but you did that already:

What was the fluid condition and contents of the pan like when you changed it?

This one says the tranny needs a rebuild:

Fluid looked fine. A little dark as expected, but no burnt fluid smell no metal in the pan.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
I recently purchased a 2002 silverado lt with the 5.3 and 4l60e trans in it. When driving it shifts from 1st to 2nd perfectly fine, but when it goes to shift into 3rd it just stays in 2nd. It's like it is holding 2nd and not attempting to go into 3rd.

All of the threads I've read about the 3-4 clutch packs failing, they say that when it goes to shift into 3rd it feels like it's going into neutral. That is not the case with mine. It is simply holding 2nd gear.

I have replaced the A and B shift solenoids, new filter and fluid and had no change. I have changed the ignition switch and VSS also with no change. I have checked the ign 0 fuse and the btsi fuse and both checked out fine.

I have tested wiring from PCM to the trans and everything checked out fine. I am getting power to the trans and the A, B and TCC solenoids all ohm'd perfectly fine.

I have ruled out the 3-4 clutch packs by disconnecting the trans harness and driving it. It put the trans in "limp mode" and only drove in 3rd. I also am not getting any codes.

Is there something else that I may be missing? I feel like I have checked everything possible.
Have you found any solution to this? I’ve been fighting with this for a while myself and this is the first time I’ve seen anyone with the same issue. Mine will eventually shift into 3rd, maybe 4 miles later and coasting downhill. I may change my throttle position sensor, even though it doesn’t show any other signs of it going out. This has been driving me nuts.

mloranzan

Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Ohio
Have you found any solution to this? I’ve been fighting with this for a while myself and this is the first time I’ve seen anyone with the same issue. Mine will eventually shift into 3rd, maybe 4 miles later and coasting downhill. I may change my throttle position sensor, even though it doesn’t show any other signs of it going out. This has been driving me nuts.
I have not found a solution. If you end up finding a solution if some sort let me know.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Any codes?

Jul 24, 2012
Depending on how many miles you have on the transmission, I kinda feel like all the troubleshooting is overrated. At a certain point they just need rebuilt. All the extras we do to try to eke a few more miles out of a fried transmission are probably wasted. I got 230k miles out of mine. I spent a bunch of time and money trying to avoid a rebuild, and then had it rebuilt anyway. I learned some stuff so it wasn't a total loss, but it would have been less everything in the end if I had just rebuilt when the troubles started. Your mileage may vary.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
Depending on how many miles you have on the transmission, I kinda feel like all the troubleshooting is overrated. At a certain point they just need rebuilt. All the extras we do to try to eke a few more miles out of a fried transmission are probably wasted. I got 230k miles out of mine. I spent a bunch of time and money trying to avoid a rebuild, and then had it rebuilt anyway. I learned some stuff so it wasn't a total loss, but it would have been less everything in the end if I had just rebuilt when the troubles started. Your mileage may vary.
Problem is, the issue may not actually be the transmission itself. It’s not that it can’t shit, it’s not being told to shift.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My experience with the MAF is that it would cause hard shifting, like it had a shift kit. I once forgot to plug it in and it shifted hard but it did shift. Still worth exploring however it would give a code.

Staying in second is usually caused by a total loss of connection with the tranny or it's unplugged. It's like a limp home mode. Again, a code scan would tell this.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
My experience with the MAF is that it would cause hard shifting, like it had a shift kit. I once forgot to plug it in and it shifted hard but it did shift. Still worth exploring however it would give a code.

Staying in second is usually caused by a total loss of connection with the tranny or it's unplugged. It's like a limp home mode. Again, a code scan would tell this.
Mine doesn’t just stay in 2nd, it will eventually shift into 3rd. It just takes a little bit.

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Neither of you have said anything about scanning for codes or said if you even tried changing the fluid and filter, which was a solution in the other linked thread.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
Neither of you have said anything about scanning for codes or said if you even tried changing the fluid and filter, which was a solution in the other linked thread.
Pretty sure I have, he said he replaced the filter and fluid (I haven’t yet, but the fluid is pretty clean and the trans was supposedly rebuilt before I bought it..), but I don’t get any codes.

Edit: unplugged the MAF sensor and the truck behaved a lot better. Still didn’t seem to want to shift under heavy load (ie: flooring it) until I took my foot off the gas and let the rpm’s come down, but it did shift into 3rd a lot sooner than 3–4 miles down the road.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pretty sure I have, he said he replaced the filter and fluid (I haven’t yet, but the fluid is pretty clean and the trans was supposedly rebuilt before I bought it..),
That doesn't mean anything. The seller could have just replaced to make it look nice without even dropping the pan. Unless he provided proof, I'd take the rebuild with a grain of salt. Now if the tranny looks really clean, then maybe it was rebuilt, but by whom? Could have been a quickie rebuild in some guy's home garage. You would think th seller would have had proof of it.

I think you'll wind up having to take it to a real tranny shop.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
That doesn't mean anything. The seller could have just replaced to make it look nice without even dropping the pan. Unless he provided proof, I'd take the rebuild with a grain of salt. Now if the tranny looks really clean, then maybe it was rebuilt, but by whom? Could have been a quickie rebuild in some guy's home garage. You would think th seller would have had proof of it.

I think you'll wind up having to take it to a real tranny shop.
Hence the supposedly, lol. But I don’t think it’s a transmission problem. It’s not that it can’t shift, it’s that it won’t. It’s not being told to shift when it should be. I may replace the MAF and see what happens. It’s disconnected right now and is actually acting better.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or maybe it is being told to shift and the tranny won't because of an internal failure. Check out this thread:

As also stated in that thread, you could try swapping the solenoids as a last ditch attempt.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
Or maybe it is being told to shift and the tranny won't because of an internal failure. Check out this thread:

As also stated in that thread, you could try swapping the solenoids as a last ditch attempt.
But it does shift…

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
Well, it was acting better this weekend with a new MAF sensor then this morning it was the same old shit. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with the ecm or tcm. Idk.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
I have not found a solution. If you end up finding a solution if some sort let me know.
I haven’t tried it yet, maybe this weekend, but have you tried changing the pressure switch manifold? It seems to go by a few names. Someone mentioned this in a Facebook group I joined recently for these transmissions and it seems to be a possible cause.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I haven’t tried it yet, maybe this weekend, but have you tried changing the pressure switch manifold? It seems to go by a few names. Someone mentioned this in a Facebook group I joined recently for these transmissions and it seems to be a possible cause.
The pressure switch manifold that has the "pillows" is on the 6L80E. His is a 4L60E that has solenoids and a valve body.

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
The pressure switch manifold that has the "pillows" is on the 6L80E. His is a 4L60E that has solenoids and a valve body.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 24215111 Automatic Transmission Manual Valve Position Pressure Switch or look up the pressure switch manifold I think it what RockAuto calls it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Yes, that`s a possibility. Could be worth a look.

I had been playing so much with the 6L80 that I forgot what a 4L60 looked like :biggrin:

m3talc0re

May 28, 2024
Alabama
I need to add that when I am driving and have it just in Drive, it stays in 2nd, but if I manually shift to 3rd (I know it doesn’t actually mean shift to 3rd, just tells it not to go past 3rd), the truck does a pull like you can feel it tried to do something, but doesn’t, just stays in second.

59840Surfer

Apr 19, 2020
Montana
@m3talcOre --- your: "I know it doesn’t actually mean shift to 3rd, just tells it not to go past 3rd" ..... isn't the whole story.

Check the Application Chart (below) ... and see you're not getting the info you need to make the assumption(s) you're making.

When you manually shift into 3rd/Direct, the Overrun clutch is doing all the holding, and it's not designed to handle horsepower ...

From all the innocuous advice, it's important to understand HOW the unit works in all situations; wishful thinking and rumors have no place in transmission diagnosis and repairs.

I know it's sometimes a tough pill to swallow about things that, by nature, are mysterious and full of wizardry, but it's just another machine, doing a human's will --- until it can't.

1726757181515.jpeg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vickes

Members Online