no shift from 2 to 3

motorhead1117

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
I busted a trans line on interstate 3 weeks ago fixed with sawsall and rubber hose no leak since but trans sliped in 2 to 3 shift for a bit and now wont sift in 3 at all had to drive home in 2nd gear at 2500 slow any help is mutch appreciative thanks

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
My Tb with a jasper trany failed the same way with 16,000 miles on it. They replaced it with another one. You probably will need a rebuild or a remanufactured one.

motorhead1117

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
shrek77 said:
My Tb with a jasper trany failed the same way with 16,000 miles on it. They replaced it with another one. You probably will need a rebuild or a remanufactured one.

no dont tell me that

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
It first fluttered about 500 rpm up and down when holding it steady like it was slipping but kept a steady speed and within a few miles it lost 4th and then it wouldn't go into 3rd after stopping in traffic a few minutes later. I had to drive about 100 miles back home in second. It was interesting!

motorhead1117

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
shrek77 said:
It first fluttered about 500 rpm up and down when holding it steady like it was slipping but kept a steady speed and within a few miles it lost 4th and then it wouldn't go into 3rd after stopping in traffic a few minutes later. I had to drive about 100 miles back home in second. It was interesting!

did they tell u what happened to the trans,yea i bet i went up to 55 and 6 miles to the gal lol what fun

ssmedt

Dec 8, 2011
About a year and a half ago I had the same problem while towing my boat; 1st and 2nd worked fine but no 3 or 4; hooked to a scan gauge and the computer thought it was shifting fine ended up needing a new trans sorry to say that but probably time for a new/rebuilt trans

motorhead1117

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
ssmedt said:
About a year and a half ago I had the same problem while towing my boat; 1st and 2nd worked fine but no 3 or 4; hooked to a scan gauge and the computer thought it was shifting fine ended up needing a new trans sorry to say that but probably time for a new/rebuilt trans

yea i have no codes did u bust a line or just lost 3-4 i only have 100,000 miles on mine and no towing was great until line break

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
motorhead1117 said:
did they tell u what happened to the trans,yea i bet i went up to 55 and 6 miles to the gal lol what fun

Nah, they didn't say but my fluid looked like it had silver glitter in it.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Sorry, but I have to agree with the others here. It sounds like when you lost transmission fluid the 3/4 clutches were burnt up. How long did you drive it on low/no transmission fluid?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
dfc739 said:
Sorry, but I have to agree with the others here. It sounds like when you lost transmission fluid the 3/4 clutches were burnt up. How long did you drive it on low/no transmission fluid?

That is absolutely right.... It takes, oh about no time at all to tear out the 3/4 clutches starved for fluid. GM had so much trouble with those clutches in particular burning up even when not engaged that they installed little springs to keep them off eachother.

If they were engaged and starved not only would they almost instantly overheat, also the pump starving for power will lower the line pressure holding both the 3-4 apply clutches and the 3-4 clutches themselves and cause them to slip and well, boom goes the dynamite.

It happens.... No use beating yourself or the ride, chit happens.... :frown:

ssmedt

Dec 8, 2011
motorhead1117 said:
yea i have no codes did u bust a line or just lost 3-4 i only have 100,000 miles on mine and no towing was great until line break

I had no codes either; I did not loose any lines just driving home from the lake when it feels sluggish look down and I am at like 5500rpm at 45 mph i did not feel it go or anything. Mine went out at 80000 miles.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
ssmedt said:
I had no codes either; I did not loose any lines just driving home from the lake when it feels sluggish look down and I am at like 5500rpm at 45 mph i did not feel it go or anything. Mine went out at 80000 miles.

It actually takes quite a long period of time for the parameters to be met for the TCM to send a code if there is not an electrical problem. If a solenoid goes bad the code is set much quicker than if it has to take readings from several different sensors to decide if there is an internal issue with the trans. And then usually you will just get an excessive slip code.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Motorhead, what does the fluid look like? I agree you may have smoked the 3-4 clutches. If you need a rebuild or replacement I would get one built for some HP, take some of the laziness out of what the stock setup offered. Won't be too much of a price difference.

Edited to add that the only other thing I can think of would be a shift solenoid but seems too ironic.

motorhead1117

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
gmcman said:
Motorhead, what does the fluid look like? I agree you may have smoked the 3-4 clutches. If you need a rebuild or replacement I would get one built for some HP, take some of the laziness out of what the stock setup offered. Won't be too much of a price difference.

Edited to add that the only other thing I can think of would be a shift solenoid but seems too ironic.

did not leak any more fluid dont see any thing in fluid i will drop the pan in morning to see if any clutch fibers or metal if not got two shift solinoids and filter kit so guess we will see thanks for all the info guys

motorhead1117

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
ok guys i finally had time to drop the pan and the fluid was dark with a little metal flake so new trans or new filter and shift solinoids

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I honestly believe that the trans needs a rebuild. However if I were in your shoes and had the fluid out and the pan off......I would think that a quick solenoid change and a filter isn't that much to try, the price gap is substantial and would kick myself if there wasn't anything else wrong with it.

Worst case, If it's toast, then pull out the new solenoids and save them for a later date. You can check their operation first though (not sure how) and just try the filter but metal is bad. Another poster just went through the same ordeal and needed another trans.

3-4 gallons of trans fluid is a waste though if it's bad. Tough call my friend.

If when you drive it and you feel a shift into third but so much slipping it won't accelerate.....then don't waste your time. It's likely a goner.

motorhead1117

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
gmcman said:
I honestly believe that the trans needs a rebuild. However if I were in your shoes and had the fluid out and the pan off......I would think that a quick solenoid change and a filter isn't that much to try, the price gap is substantial and would kick myself if there wasn't anything else wrong with it.

Worst case, If it's toast, then pull out the new solenoids and save them for a later date. You can check their operation first though (not sure how) and just try the filter but metal is bad. Another poster just went through the same ordeal and needed another trans.

3-4 gallons of trans fluid is a waste though if it's bad. Tough call my friend.

If when you drive it and you feel a shift into third but so much slipping it won't accelerate.....then don't waste your time. It's likely a goner.

my thoughts exactly thanks

davids_1718

Jun 3, 2013
How are you, was wondering what the results turned out to be. Seems like I just came across that problem as well. I know for sure I'm dry on fluid but don't know for sure if I burnt anything or if it could be a solenoid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online