What are you towing with yours ????

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
off topic but scooter that wrangler is f-ing sweet:thumbsup: the wife has a yj I just put a new BDS suspension in. can't wait to lift the TB

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Uhaul and others that say 45-50mph are doing so for liability reasons, for people who either don't know how load a trailer, or don't know how to drive a trailer. UHaul rents trailers to people who likely don't know how to drive with a trailer (or they'd own their own), and likely don't know about tongue weight and how to properly load a trailer. The tail wagging the dog starts at 50-55mph if the trailer is set up wrong, so they are simply telling you to stay below that, so they don't have to give everyone a training course and supervision.

If the trailer is weighted correctly, isn't too big (or too much of a sail to side-winds) for the tow vehicle's wheelbase and weight, and has enough brakes to stop itself so the truck doesn't have to make up for braking capacity that's lacking in the trailer, there is no reason that 70mph can't be a safe speed.

Mike

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
CaptainXL said:
I suggest you do the research yourself.

It's not going to matter what I put on this forum. There are just going to be a bunch of people that scoff and say they are better drivers and know better. Besides my research could be wrong. Right? What I originally meant was that I saw the 50 mph figure on a GM manual over 10 years ago. My subsequent research has verified that. And so I just always stuck with GM's suggestion. Also my experience and butt knows what a safe speed limit is. It can at times be reduced even further depending on any abnormal winds and grade. Many experts recommend 55 as the max towing speed. I guess I a am a little more conservative.

i agree with you. not to mention it is less wear and tear on your vehicle and transmission towing at a slower speed then doing 70+mph.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
htseat2000 said:
i agree with you. not to mention it is less wear and tear on your vehicle and transmission towing at a slower speed then doing 70+mph.

I'm not saying you are wrong but just want to know others opinions on possible wear. at 60-65 in 3rd my torque converter seems to stay locked up unless I am going up a large hill where as when I am off the highway and doing 45-55 it seems my converter comes out of lock up more often even on smaller inclines and when your out of lock up dosen't that increase transmission temps alot, also at higher speeds your engine is closer to your power band then correct???

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
jonbo2002 said:
when your out of lock up dosen't that increase transmission temps alot,

BIG TIME! I can watch mine climb in hilly terrain with the 35s and the trans going in and out of lockup.

There is a plethora of factors that come into play when finding the proper speed for what you are towing. Glad you are looking deeper than just what someone says is a blanket "safe speed".

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
BIG TIME! I can watch mine climb in hilly terrain with the 35s and the trans going in and out of lockup.

There is a plethora of factors that come into play when finding the proper speed for what you are towing. Glad you are looking deeper than just what someone says is a blanket "safe speed".

oh for sure, I have towed with all sorts of vehicles with different trailers. the first time we took my travel trailer up north i tried staying around 55-60 then after a refreshment stop I tried 65-70 the rest of the way. Never had a problem with it either time but when we moved to new property I kept it at 65 going as low as 60 up hills and the trans seemed to like it more there. as for my old popup I converted into a hauling trailer I can pull that at 70 with both of the ATV's and other supplys and barely know its there and in lock up the whole trip.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

What are you guys even talking about? Who cares if your trans temps go up? You think there is going to be some type of nuclear meltdown or something? Just change the fluid more often. The stock trans cooler is fine.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011

Attachments

• og-meme-generator-shake-your-dicks-this-pissing-contest-is-over-e62bcd.jpg
    og-meme-generator-shake-your-dicks-this-pissing-contest-is-over-e62bcd.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 278

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
What are you guys even talking about? Who cares if your trans temps go up? You think there is going to be some type of nuclear meltdown or something? Just change the fluid more often. The stock trans cooler is fine.
The stock cooler would allow my trans to run 240+ in extreme conditions. Unacceptable. It was supplemented with an aftermarket and never has been past 220.

FYI...Heat is the main cause of transmission failure.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
CaptainXL said:

Can't go wrong with expert advice like that. :hopeless:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
CaptainXL said:

Actually, oxidizing the fluid isn't the only thing you have to worry about with 250-260F sump temps (and therefore, TC output temps above 300F). Temps like this harden the seals and O-rings, which will cause the trans to fail much sooner, and yes, it can be a meltdown. This is with Allison transmissions, which I'm certain use as good or better seal and O-ring materials as the Hydamatic junk that these things run.

Mike

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Yes it is more stable. I can tow 70 mph if I want but I like to be safe and use less gas.. You shouldnt tow over 50 mph with a full load. Did you know this?

Anyone knows that the longer the wheelbase the more comfortable the ride and more stable. Its a fact jack. You shouldnt make statements you cant back up. I had a 2007 Trailblazer and now the 2005 Envoy XL. Used both to pull the trailer. The EXT and XL's are better for towing by far.

How do you say that you shouldn't make statements you can't back up and then tell people you don't have to/ can't convince anyone while further stating that people should look it up themselves when they ask for the info?
If you have the info, and I'd guess you do since you believe statements should be backed up, then why wouldn't you share it?
If it's just an opinion then qualify it as such. Ain't no shame in having an opinion. But c'mon now. The posts you made following this one were pretty over the top and contradictory to everything you originally stated :hopeless:

Now your claiming an overheating transmission is fine, just change the fluid more often? Seriously?

Next your going to tell us if the engine overheats constantly it's ok, you just need to change the coolant more often.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
CaptainXL said:

look another blanket statement!!!! I would love to be his mechanic $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :wootwoot:

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
jonbo2002 said:
is that security camera footage of a hot dog cart theft??? lol sorry had to say it

LOL Nah. Had to move it from the back of the lot to up by the store so we could use it. It was 515a and my camera phone sucks.

Scooter Scott

Dec 7, 2011
jonbo2002 said:
off topic but scooter that wrangler is f-ing sweet:thumbsup: the wife has a yj I just put a new BDS suspension in. can't wait to lift the TB

Thanks man!

CaptainXL said:

I thought I said Wow last time? But holy shit man you obviously don't know much about the mechanicals of your rig.

Do me a favor and go check your muffler bearing. With the high temps you put your rig through I bet it's wearing prematurely.

Muffler Bearing - $33.95 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I use to enjoy following this thread...

I wish one of our fine community staff could do some of their magic and clean out a few posts (including this one) and get this thread back on track.

Please and Thanks :thumbsup:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Come on guys :grouphug: Sometimes I wish my truck was the 5.3 even though I don't tow heavy loads. Guess I just want the extra power lol. I must say that for the size of our GMT's they sure can do a lot more than one would think :thumbsup:

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
guess what I wasn't able to tow last weekend???? I think it may be a couple weeks till I get this up the hill!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 229

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
jonbo2002 said:
guess what I wasn't able to tow last weekend???? I think it may be a couple weeks till I get this up the hill!!!

Yep, you might want to wait a little while for that one. Stopped by our campground on the way home from Toronto on Sunday and there is still plenty of snow there as well. Having said that we bring our trailer home for the winter and take it back again each opening day.

muddy tires

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Uhaul only has that warning due to insurance. If you are inan accident above those speeds they try to prevent liability. It has nothing to do with safety.

That and the fact that ST Tires, which most trailers run, are only speed-rated to 65 mph. Anything higher than that and you run the risk of overheating, premature wear and possible blow outs. My friends who overload and run at high speeds tend to have more tire-related problems with their trailers.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
muddy tires said:
That and the fact that ST Tires, which most trailers run, are only speed-rated to 65 mph. Anything higher than that and you run the risk of overheating, premature wear and possible blow outs. My friends who overload and run at high speeds tend to have more tire-related problems with their trailers.

Around the turn of the century, Uhaul was using Goodyear Marathon radial tires on their trailers, which are ST rated (and about the best trailer tires available :thumbsup: ). Now, they've regressed to yestertech (bias ply tires that look like they made a time warp from the 1960's!). I'm suprised they don't use Dayton axles to go along with them :wink: I wouldn't be suprised if they have a much lower speed rating than 65. Remember, in the '70s and '80s, U-Haul used to put "Maximum Speed 45 MPH" stickers on the trailers :smile:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Hooked up to the pop up for the first time in over a year, bringing it home from the fiances grandparents home. Gonna rip it apart and hopefully have a utility trailer in the next few months.

View attachment 27093

Attachments

• 2013-03-28_19-09-06_86.jpg
    2013-03-28_19-09-06_86.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 55

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Our first camper was a pop-up and in some ways I wish I still had one.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Wish we could use it, a lift hinge snapped and a replacement is almost impossible to find. Two others are getting weak as well. I could Fab something up I'm sure, but we got 3 years out of it and paid $500 for it. Had some great times and memories with that thing.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Hooked up to the pop up for the first time in over a year, bringing it home from the fiances grandparents home. Gonna rip it apart and hopefully have a utility trailer in the next few months.

View attachment 13243

thats what we did with ours, works great for the quads. we were going to sell it and get a utility trailer but only paid $300 for it and every utility trailer we found was $500 plus. also I just replaced the tires with 8 plys and put new bearings in it, so we just tore it down.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Well I didn't get a pic but I had to tow my moms Yukon with the tb the other day. Somehow the low fuel light didn't make her stop until the engine died lol. What can you do!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online