What are you towing with yours ????

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
HARDTRAILZ said:
Building a smoker?

Yes I am. I have run into a snag right now that I am trying to figure out but other than that, I can't wait to have it finished!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
MrDJ said:
Yes I am. I have run into a snag right now that I am trying to figure out but other than that, I can't wait to have it finished!

Sweet/ Make sure to post some specs and any tips you get building it as I would like to build one come spring. I like mine, but want a big boy. My buddy just did one with a actual woodstove and 4-500 gal fuel tank. Pretty cool but not mobile at all.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
HARDTRAILZ said:
Sweet/ Make sure to post some specs and any tips you get building it as I would like to build one come spring. I like mine, but want a big boy. My buddy just did one with a actual woodstove and 4-500 gal fuel tank. Pretty cool but not mobile at all.

I sure will! As soon as I can find somebody that won't charge an arm and a leg to help me weld the rest of it up, we will be good to go.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Went up playing in the mountains with the sleds...

Made it 8KM out with my sled, then the computer fried. Dragged it back to the trailer and went home. What a waste!

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
detroitmike said:

Just curious, I see that type of boat every once in a while. What is the purpose of the banana shape to this boat?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drove from Ottawa to London on Friday night and Saturday morning went to buy and pick up this loooooong 20 foot trailer to be used to tow 4 snowmobiles. It towed really well. Was surprised that I was able to leave it in overdrive most of the way, even with 3.42 gears. Mileage was actually surprising. Doubt this will be the case once loaded.

Drove 1400 km in two days. Insane!:crazy:

Attachments

• TB-Trailer (Medium).jpg
    TB-Trailer (Medium).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 14

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Mooseman said:
Drove from Ottawa to London on Friday night and Saturday morning went to buy and pick up this loooooong 20 foot trailer to be used to tow 4 snowmobiles. It towed really well. Was surprised that I was able to leave it in overdrive most of the way, even with 3.42 gears. Mileage was actually surprising. Doubt this will be the case once loaded.

Drove 1400 km in two days. Insane!:crazy:

Had I known you were doing this trip I would have met up for a coffee with you. I'm just off the 401 near Kitchener. I could walk to the 401 in less than a minute. Maybe next time....

Mileage when loaded may depend on brand, 4 Ski Doos less than 2000 lbs, 4 Yamahas maybe over 3000 lbs.

Anyone else ever gets this way let me know and we'll hook up, I love meeting people, especially GMTNation members :thumbsup:

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
Denali n DOO said:
I'm just off the 401 near Kitchener. I could walk to the 401 in less than a minute. Maybe next time....

Anyone else ever gets this way let me know and we'll hook up, I love meeting people, especially GMTNation members :thumbsup:

We are at the campground not too far away from you pretty much every weekend during the season. Stop by we can do chatting, boating and a beer or several.
I also have a toolshop in Breslau that I visit about once a month.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
kenmyfam said:
We are at the campground not too far away from you pretty much every weekend during the season. Stop by we can do chatting, boating and a beer or several.
I also have a toolshop in Breslau that I visit about once a month.

Tool shop in Breslau? I use to live near Meno St. on Shantz Station Road, my wife went to Breslau school back in the day. Herb Nickel use to see my vehicles quite a bit for repairs, he's a good guy!

One of these days we'll get together either at the tool shop or at Wildwood campground!

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Tool shop in Breslau? I use to live near Meno St. on Shantz Station Road, my wife went to Breslau school back in the day. Herb Nickel use to see my vehicles quite a bit for repairs, he's a good guy!

One of these days we'll get together either at the tool shop or at Wildwood campground!

Sounds like a plan !!!! :biggrin:

muddy tires

Dec 5, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Its just a tiny bit bigger!

Now I need a brake controller, anyone have one for sale?

Triton makes a nice trailer. My first 2 clamshells were Triton but I just couldn't justify the price when I moved up to a 4-place enclosed.

If you are still looking, I have a Prodigy controller on my bench that I pulled out of the TB when I sold it. My Silverado has the factory controller so I no longer need it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Denali n DOO said:
Had I known you were doing this trip I would have met up for a coffee with you. I'm just off the 401 near Kitchener. I could walk to the 401 in less than a minute. Maybe next time....

Mileage when loaded may depend on brand, 4 Ski Doos less than 2000 lbs, 4 Yamahas maybe over 3000 lbs.

Better make that 2050 lbs with the Doos. Don't forget to Bring Rings and Pistons :raspberry: . I have 3 Yamahas and one Doo (the wife's) which I tow regularly with my Yamaha.

crappy.jpg

I would have made plans to meet but we were just too tight for time. Also went to Royal Distributing in Guelph for a bit of shopping.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
kenmyfam said:
Good job it's not on a Ford Exploder !!!! :biggrin:
My uncle was hauling a ~10' enclosed trailer with just a dirtbike inside with his 2008 Exploder and snapped the axle when he took an offramp.
My driveway is like rock crawling after this last rain storm and I've gone off jumps (low jumps, but nonetheless jumps) in my '03 TB. :raspberry:

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
gpking said:
My uncle was hauling a ~10' enclosed trailer with just a dirtbike inside with his 2008 Exploder and snapped the axle when he took an offramp.
My driveway is like rock crawling after this last rain storm and I've gone off jumps (low jumps, but nonetheless jumps) in my '03 TB. :raspberry:

Next door neighbor has an F150 and tows a similar travel trailer to us. He mocked me when I got our Trailblazer that it would not be able to do the job. Funny thing is that he is on his 3rd tranny and we are still on the original. He doesn't comment much about it anymore :biggrin:
The exploders are worse as well.

detroitmike

Dec 25, 2013
SBUBandit said:
Just curious, I see that type of boat every once in a while. What is the purpose of the banana shape to this boat?

Its called a drift boat used for fishing rivers. The hull is flat bottomed to reduce draft and bow and stern are sloped upward to get up and over rocks and logs...anything that might be in the river.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
ajallen14 said:
Had my first real towing experience with my truck back in August when I was going back to school. Rented a 5x8 Uhaul trailer and loaded nearly to the brim. Additionally, the inside of my truck was pretty packed too (the bags really came in handy) I live in Atlanta and was towing to my house in Statesboro (Georgia Southern University. Go Eagles!) which I was just moving into. The trip is about 230 miles. I got about 19 mpg the whole way towing in third the whole time. I was satisfied.:yes:

Reminds me of my first esperience, 6x12 UHaul, 600 miles. Indianapolis sucked on the way through, I had to detour off the interstate and go on some really tough/tight roads. 15MPG, back was fully loaded up, trailer was filled (including a 300-pound 1930s Ritter dental chair), me and the woman I was with at the time, and two cats.

ajallen14

Sep 24, 2013
Towed a friends car back home before Christmas from school. From Statesboro to Atlanta. Lots of hills on 75
gyge7aga.jpg
tu7anu8a.jpg

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
I just bought an 03 TB...wanted something smaller than my 2000 V10 Excursion..LOL

I will be towing a 66 Airstream Overlander. Weight about 4250.

Wondering about getting a trans cooler and if I will need to add airbags to the rear or not. The TB runs great and has just over 110000 miles on it. Had the trans serviced and oil changed before I got it.

Attachments

• DSC_9128.jpg
    DSC_9128.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: sawicksted

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Nice rig! You're going to be running with about 500 pounds hitch weight on your WD hitch. I would put in airbags just to counteract cargo weight you might put in the tow vehicle instead of the trailer, but I don't know how many passengers you run with and what they all weigh. A cooler is pretty much mandatory if you want to enjoy a long and satisfying relationship with your tranny. They're cheap - I think my Hayden was only $50 plus some fittings. The brake controller cost more.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
I only carry 2 people. I already have a Prodigy brake controller, so its the trans cooler I will need. As for airbags, I guess I will do a trip first and see how it does. Wondering about stuffer sidewall tires,too. Its all iced out here so I can't look to see what tires I have now..LOL

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
When you set up your WD hitch properly, and it may take over an hour of fiddling, angling, and adding adjustment washers to get the trunnion tilt angle just right and the torsion bar chains adjusted, you'll be using your tape measure to measure the deflection at each corner of the vehicle. I use the ground to top of the wheel well opening sheet metal. That will be a clue if you need air bags in the back.

I have a lighter weight Trailmanor, and an electric tongue jack I added makes it go soooooo much faster.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
A number of good choices on eTrailer.com. They also carry a special GM fitting which makes it much easier to tap into the existing tranny cooler in the radiator so you don't have to cut any lines.

Reactions: sawicksted

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Strongly recommend a tranny cooler. First thing I put on ours before we started pulling the travel trailer. See it on page 1 of this thread. Also now have a bigger, heavier boat to pull as well. Cheap insurance in my opinion.
Good Luck and enjoy !!!

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
etrailer has about 10 coolers for my TB -- how much difference does it make if they are larger...I mean does the smaller one get the job done? I guess its obvious that bigger is better but is it necessary?

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
General rule I've always thought is biggest one you can fit. If you're going to do the work to install one, why bother doing a small one. Also, be sure its the plate style, not tube-and-fin. Much more efficient.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice trailer. We just got an enclosed trailer. Lil 5x8 Horton Hauler. Only one owner and the price ws barely more than renting one for her two trips moving my sister from Cinci to Detroit. a

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Nice trailer. We just got an enclosed trailer. Lil 5x8 Horton Hauler. Only one owner and the price ws barely more than renting one for her two trips moving my sister from Cinci to Detroit. a

Sounds familiar. I looked back and realized I had spent a fortune renting trailers over a 3 year period and we were getting ready to move. So I bought this one. Its a pretty basic Wells Cargo. It does everything I need.:cool:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
:undecided:
kenmyfam said:
Looking for a small enclosed trailer for our son's band to haul the equipment (Drums, amps, guitars etc) pretty pricey around here even used.

Look into freedom trailers. They are mafe here in GA and they dont seem to be to badly priced.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Or you could get one from Harbor Freight, and enclose it. About 1200 bucks completed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He's in Canada. No Harbor Freight here (but I wish we did :biggrin:). We have Princess Auto, which is similar but they don't have complete trailers, just trailer parts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online