LED Mod Thread

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Where are you guys wiring the led strips in behind the dash. I have yet to open mine up but will be something I will be doing soon. Any pics of where you wired them up to?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sib said:
Where are you guys wiring the led strips in behind the dash. I have yet to open mine up but will be something I will be doing soon. Any pics of where you wired them up to?
I was going to ask that myself brother

Reactions: Sib

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Just use any of the bulb contacts ON the cluster board for the backlighting, and solder the wires to them. Easy peasy and self contained.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Blckshdw said:
Just use any of the bulb contacts ON the cluster board for the backlighting, and solder the wires to them. Easy peasy and self contained.
Figured, was just curious to which one you guys were using. I recently did that when I put an LED strip in my driver's door module instead of 5mm LEDs

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
BlazingTrails said:
I still have yet to pull my cluster back out and strip the blue off of the face. I have not felt like dealing with pulling the dash out. :duh:
I am waiting to put my black bezel in until I get the gauge face & needles I want, and put the strips in my cluster. That's how much I HATE pulling the dash bezel off, it's a PITA and on top of that I gotta move all my wiring for LEDs and my 2 gauges around, I wanna do all that on the same day lol

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Aarkon said:
Envoy for the win
Must be nice not having to deal with an annoying bezel

Reactions: Aarkon

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: CaptainKD and Sib

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
BlazingTrails said:
I still have yet to pull my cluster back out and strip the blue off of the face. I have not felt like dealing with pulling the dash out. :duh:
...I mentioned that to you while you had it apart in the processes of putting leds in and you said yours didn't have blue on it and lights up white.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Mounce said:
...I mentioned that to you while you had it apart in the processes of putting leds in and you said yours didn't have blue on it and lights up white.
We already had this conversation after that happened. :yes:

Seriously though it didn't look blue at all maybe it is just faded i dunno. definitely needs some brightness.

Reactions: Mounce

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
SRCK is in our tails. This means instead of 2 positives opposed and 2 negatives opposed an SRCK bulb has both positives on one side together opposite of both negatives. ITs bascially a 90* rotation of position of contacts if you look at it like a face of a clock.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
That's rather random.

On a different note...one of my switchbacks has been flickering for a while, took it out and was gonna take it apart but it seems to be glued to the base so I retouched the solder joints on the boards that I could see from the outside and...it still flickers. :no:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
BlazingTrails said:
That usually means the smd is burning out.....
The whole thing flickers, not just one LED, is that still the same? And oh, it's only the white circuit that does it. Orange/amber appears to be fine.

5630 chips btw.

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
I'm gonna take the dive into installing LEDs into my cluster and I was hoping I could get some feedback about this LED strip before I order it.

Here's the link to the eBay listing:
5M 5630 LED Strip Cool White Waterproof IP65 Light 2 times Brighter than 5050

I choose this one because it states cool white (5500K to 6000K). Some of the others say 6000K to 7000K which I'm guessing would have a hint of blue, right? My goal is just to have white.

Thoughts on this item?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Why not just go to any autoparts store and buy LED strips there?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
CaptainKD said:
My local store don't have these strips.
They don't have LED strips?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That's the brand of all the LED strips on my rig. They are a bit pricey, but they make excellent LED strips

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Ebay strip ftw. I refuse to overpay for a product.

You'll have to do the rest of your interior after that cap'n...you'll have your brightness turned down so those don't blind you then you won't be able to see the radio and such lol

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm not gonna wait days to do a mod if I can buy the strips down the street Garth

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
MAY03LT said:
Late to the party but for the led strips in the cluster I couldn't trust the 3m tape because bass. I used that q bond stuff to lock it in place. Just a dab every 2-3 inches.
Did you go with 5050 or 5630 LED strips?

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
CaptainKD said:
Is 1 strip of 5630 too bright? Is 2 strips of 5050 better?
Capt.. I would suggest 1 strip of 5050..
Mounce said:
I'm not personally sure, but they'll be brighter than the 5050's for sure.

Matt, you got 5050's or 5630's? It looked bright as fck.
Mine are 5050's. And that last picture was with the strip just on the top side of cluster.

Reactions: CaptainKD

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Holy crap that is bright man

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Midnyteryder196 said:
Yeah I just took it for a spin to check needle positions n once u got out of town lighting, I had to back the dimmer down a Lil.. Lol
This may sound stupid, but I am thinking of using one green LED strip and one blue one...
The strips I use aren't bright as yours so I probably don't have to dim
Sib said:
That is bright. Since cap likes to drive with his sunglasses on at night he won't have to dim it tho. :raspberry:
[emoji41]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online