LED Mod Thread

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sib said:
Has anyone used led strips for the side marker lights? Would you just have to stick the wires of the strips into the sockets?

I guess that would require me to open up the headlights though :duh:
Yes, and yes it does.

2013-06-02005154_zps84b8c485.jpg

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Blckshdw said:
Yeah pretty much. In my first retro (now Aarkon's) I put switchback strips on acrylic pieces for the main turns, and on the sides. I also have switchback strips in my mirror lenses.

See, your mod big is giving you some subliminal messages. Listen to them! :biggrin:
That's what I'm afraid of :biggrin:

Just not sure about opening up headlights. I guess if I ever decide to add projectors myself I'll do some strips :yes:

Sparky said:
Yes, and yes it does.

2013-06-02005154_zps84b8c485.jpg
I like the way that looks for sure. Are those just Amber or switchbacks?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I made my own DIY switchbacks. There are 3 strips that are forward facing, white and 2 amber, and then the single vertical strip. Parking lights are what you see there. DRL is the front white strip. Turn signal flashes the 2 front amber strips and the side vertical strip, and white remains off the whole time.

I think somewhere further back in this thread is a picture of my relay pack and a video of it in action.

One of these days I'll reopen the headlights to fix some projector alignment, and when I do I have a couple LED strip upgrades to do as well.

Reactions: Mounce and Sib

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Got 5053 strips for my cluster. Same strips I have in my wheel wells.
uploadfromtaptalk1423784362344.jpg

Theblackarrow

Feb 1, 2015
OK guys i need your help i am planing to change my interior Bulb to Led specially the Cluster ones as i need to change the defected speedometer step motor so i decided to upgrade my light as well and i did already placed my order with one of the Chinese shops in eBay 45 days back and still i didn't receive them (Chinese *****) so i am considering a refund and buying the same from a USA seller But the problem i never find a seller doing a combo like the Chinese do where they sell the motors along the LED blue Bulbs in one package so do you recommend any seller where i can buy the same (and they ship internationally :biggrin: as i am in Qatar) and also i need to know do i still need to use any resistors with these Blue LED i orders and is this 42Mm Festoon led bulbs good for the car especially the size will it fit all your help is really highly appreciated.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The Chinese new year was recent, and a lot of places shut down for a while. I ordered a few things off Ebay early in January, and the first of the items just showed up yesterday.

Those 194 bulbs will not give you much light output in your dome lights, and they aren't compatible in our clusters (assuming you didn't see the cluster mod earlier in this thread) The plug and play style bulbs don't need additional resistors, they are built in.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think those are the tiny 74 size, either way, they're not plug and play, Arrow, every bulb in the instrumentation and switches are soldered in.

Just wanting to make sure you know that.

Reactions: CaptainKD
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Capote said:
Got 5053 strips for my cluster. Same strips I have in my wheel wells.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20150212_175140.jpg
Hey capote.. Just fyi.. You may want to get some 3528 strips for the cluster.

As an update: while having my lights on for a while (maybe 45 min to hour) after the 5050 strip installation. My Speedo will stop working. I have all new steppers since may '14 so I don't think it necessarily a bad stepper, but how the strip runs along the bottom side of the cluster puts 2 chips basically right on the Speedo stepper. So I'm wondering if they are getting too hot and the stepper is shutting down? I've had it happen to me twice out of about 10-15 times running at night. So I'm not exactly for sure what causing it but just wanted to throw it out there for anyone considering the 5050 smd install.

Reactions: Sib and Aarkon
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
CaptainKD said:
Thanks for the heads up. [emoji106]

Side Note - Anyone wanna buy a roll of 5050's that I just ordered 2 days ago? :hissyfiy:
Sorry man.. I just had issue last night.. But it could just be my stepper flaking out.. I have no clue though.. If you do the 5050s maybe split them when you get to the Speedo so they not right on it.. See my pic of how I routed mine.. uploadfromtaptalk1423799808751.png

Reactions: Sib and CaptainKD

Theblackarrow

Feb 1, 2015
Blckshdw said:
The Chinese new year was recent, and a lot of places shut down for a while. I ordered a few things off Ebay early in January, and the first of the items just showed up yesterday.

Those 194 bulbs will not give you much light output in your dome lights, and they aren't compatible in our clusters (assuming you didn't see the cluster mod earlier in this thread) The plug and play style bulbs don't need additional resistors, they are built in.
I am confused which bulbs is not the compatible ones the 5050 SMD ones or the Festoon if you can me it easy for me and send me the correct models that can fit the cluster without any resistors that would be great :biggrin: also i saw some pictures about using a led strip so what do you think about it will it be better i really need to get detailed information as i am new to this and it will be my first project LOL

and last question what is the Cluster mod you mean i didn't see it in this thread. and thanks for your help

Theblackarrow

Feb 1, 2015
Mounce said:
I think those are the tiny 74 size, either way, they're not plug and play, Arrow, every bulb in the instrumentation and switches are soldered in.

Just wanting to make sure you know that.
Well i didn't so this won't fit can you till me the correct bulb sizes that fit plug and play :smile: and for now i need to change the cluster bulbs maybe the HAVC but the switches can be done in a later stage as i believe it's not that easy as the clusters ones.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Theblackarrow said:
Well i didn't so this won't fit can you till me the correct bulb sizes that fit plug and play :smile: and for now i need to change the cluster bulbs maybe the HAVC but the switches can be done in a later stage as i believe it's not that easy as the clusters ones.
None of the hvac, stock radio, cluster, or any of the switches inside are plug and play bulbs. The bulbs are soldered in. Most of us have used 5mm flat top leds and resistors to replace those bulbs.

Before starting to order anything..

Take some time to skim or even read through this whole thread and you will be able to better understand what it takes to convert it all over.

Edit: well I guess the door switches technically are plug n play but you won't have very good light output unless you do individual led under each switch..

Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
CaptainKD said:
Thanks for the heads up. [emoji106]

Side Note - Anyone wanna buy a roll of 5050's that I just ordered 2 days ago? :hissyfit:
What color? Price?
Theblackarrow said:
Only bulbs that won't need resistors are incandescent bulbs like are already in there. Even those blue bulbs you were eyeing have resistors in the blue bases. Not quite sure why you're opposed to resistors, though.

The festoon style bulbs you linked will only work in the rear cargo light, btw.

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
Mounce said:
What color? Price?
I was only messing around. I also ordered a roll of 3528's(?) because those cluster pics looked crazy bright. I like Blkshdw's idea of footwell lights. :yes:

What wire does the footwell lights tap into to function like the entry lights?

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I was thinking just tap the dome wires but after I thought about it, when do you want them to be on? Just when entering and exiting? Or every time the domes are on? If the latter, tap the dome wires, if not, idk. You could probably use the door closed/open switch/sensor to trigger them. Where are those sensors anyway? In the "door check" things I'm assuming?

[sometimes I make posts that show me how fitting my member title is by the amount of questions I ask....this is one of those posts..]

Reactions: CaptainKD and Sib

Theblackarrow

Feb 1, 2015
Mounce said:
What color? Price?
Only bulbs that won't need resistors are incandescent bulbs like are already in there. Even those blue bulbs you were eyeing have resistors in the blue bases. Not quite sure why you're opposed to resistors, though.

The festoon style bulbs you linked will only work in the rear cargo light, btw.
OK so can you be kind and till me what bulbs shall i buy(Link if possible) and i don't prefer to do resistors cause it will be difficult to get inhere in Qatar and will be too damn expensive as will so i either buy it from outside along with the bulbs or i buy the bulbs that is already resisted so i only need to solider it and also what is your opinion about using the LED Strips Instead on bulbs will it be better ?

and for the festoon it will not work with the side ones above the windows also as i don't have dome/map light console in the middle.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
uploadfromtaptalk1424392094159.jpg From the cargo area with lift gate open.

uploadfromtaptalk1424392103586.jpgFrom drivers seat looking towards the back.

uploadfromtaptalk1424392110150.jpgShot from the hood.

Every light except for the cargo light are 5 chip 5050's, cargo light is one 24 chip 5630 panel. With the dome lights on while looking from the outside with all of the doors shut it looks like none of the windows are tinted.

uploadfromtaptalk1424392119680.jpgWay brighter than it looks....ridiculously bright...lights up the ground outside the car with the doors closed. One 24 chip 5630 panel. (Mustang)

-ugh, tapa doubles pics again. :no:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424392103586.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424392103586.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 30
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424392110150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424392110150.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424392119680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424392119680.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 29

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Welp my driver's side switchback failed today, time to browse for replacements. Gonna stick with the projector style switchbacks, but this time I'm gonna get a pair with smd's on them as well

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Mounce said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_20150219_181100.jpg From the cargo area with lift gate open.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20150219_181922.jpgFrom drivers seat looking towards the back.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20150219_181948.jpgShot from the hood.

Every light except for the cargo light are 5 chip 5050's, cargo light is one 24 chip 5630 panel. With the dome lights on while looking from the outside with all of the doors shut it looks like none of the windows are tinted.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20150219_180343.jpgWay brighter than it looks....ridiculously bright...lights up the ground outside the car with the doors closed. One 24 chip 5630 panel. (Mustang)

-ugh, tapa doubles pics again. :no:
Hey Garth, how does the 24 chip panel fit? Got any pics of it mounted in the light? My 15 5050 chips fit pretty good but all I can find from us sellers is the 24 chip models..

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Midnyteryder196 said:
Hey Garth, how does the 24 chip panel fit? Got any pics of it mounted in the light? My 15 5050 chips fit pretty good but all I can find from us sellers is the 24 chip models..
It fits good, they're really awkward to mount though. I'll get you a pic when I get home bro.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
As promised:
uploadfromtaptalk1424468236098.jpg

Once you get the cover off you'll see a flat spot on either side of it right where mine is stuck. If fit perfectly on said flat spots. The wires are very awkward to deal with though and get in the way so be prepared for a small struggle lol.

Also, great tip, turn the dome lights off when you plug it in, if not you'll be blinded for a while after plugging it in and wrestling with it to get it stuck down. When looking at it like the picture shows from standing outside the truck, positive is on the right passenger side, negative is the left driver side. :tiphat:

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright thanks for the pic.. I currently have 2 5050 panels in my cargo and was just wondering how much bigger the 24 5630 panels were. They don't look much bigger at all. uploadfromtaptalk1424479503820.jpg

Reactions: dmanns67
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Yeah cameras do suck lol.. It's all good though. I have a 5630 strip n it looks bad ass n since I had one my panels go out it's time to upgrade to something brighter. Haha

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Midnyteryder196 said:
Yup.. And 2 in the cargo light
Do you not have lights over the third row? My TB has 11 bulbs so if yours has the lights over the third row like me you'd need 12 to do what you're wanting.

Btw, 2 in the cargo light will blow you away! :wink:

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Mounce said:
Do you not have lights over the third row? My TB has 11 bulbs so if yours has the lights over the third row like me you'd need 12 to do what you're wanting.

Btw, 2 in the cargo light will blow you away! :wink:
2 above each back door, 1 on each side of 3rd row, and 2 in cargo light. So that is 8.. Lol. I can only put the panels behind the front seats bc The wifey says the 5050's are too bright.. If we was counting all the lights then I would need 14 if I did 2 in the cargo

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online

No members online now.