LED Mod Thread

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You don't want the lighting right below your field of vision to be too bright at night. It will mess with your distance vision on the road.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Capote said:
This may sound stupid, but I am thinking of using one green LED strip and one blue one...
The strips I use aren't bright as yours so I probably don't have to dim
[emoji41]
I'm not for sure how that would look honestly.. But yeah if they are not the 5050's then you prob wouldn't have to dim.
CaptainKD said:
Midnytryder - Does yours have any hot spots or is it a even light across the cluster?
It's really pretty even.. I think it's just the color that is giving the illusion in a couple spots.. But it looks a whole lot better than just the 5mm leds.. Which I did keep in, just removed one to wire in the strips.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Is there much, if any, difference between the envoy or trailblazer when converting insides to leds? I'm sure cluster is the same but wondering about doors, HVAC, etc.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
CaptainKD said:
Did you go with 5050 or 5630 LED strips?
The listing expired so sorry no link but it said "Red 3528 SMD Waterproof 300 LED 12V Flexible Light Strip Car Auto Lamp New" I got a lot more then needed (for some other projects).

You can compare them to midnights pics they definitely don't pop like his! :drooling:

20141209_133407.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
CaptainKD said:
Sweet. I pulled the trigger tonight on a roll of 5050's. I'll post some pics when they get installed.
[emoji41] [emoji364] [emoji365]

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Midnyteryder196 said:
I bought the waterproof roll also.. But for the cluster I peeled the silicone off the strip so it would contour to the bezel easily..
Makes sense

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dang that's bright. Personally I feel like the 3528 strips would be plenty bright... I don't like overly bright dash lights.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sib said:
Is there much, if any, difference between the envoy or trailblazer when converting insides to leds? I'm sure cluster is the same but wondering about doors, HVAC, etc.
All of the components are the same, just the trim pieces on the outside may be different, which doesn't matter.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Blckshdw said:
All of the components are the same, just the trim pieces on the outside may be different, which doesn't matter.
Great. Now when captain is done with his he can help me with mine :poke: :raspberry:

Reactions: CaptainKD

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sib said:
Great. Now when captain is done with his he can help me with mine :poke: :raspberry:
You can doooo iiitttt, no need help, noooo

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
LEDs & Beers = Great time

Reactions: Sib

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sounds good Ryan, maybe I'll do that this weekend at Brandon's

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Blckshdw said:
:popo: Careful with the whoring in here people :nono:
Thought this was the whore thread.....

I plan on doing my cluster once I order clear needles. Blue or green strips

Reactions: Sib

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Midnyteryder196 said:
How's color compare to the 5mm?
I went with the uv and they seem to match my 4wd switch best so far but I need to see it in a switch to make sure

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I quite like the look of UV LEDs, I was considering doing my cluster in UV, but it does mess with my eyes a lot, even with the bit of 5mm UV's I have in the rear wiper controls and headlight control module

Reactions: Aarkon

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I guess me and Ryan will be tanning then?
They look good Sparky, its nice to think outside the box color wise

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Back to your sideways pics again I see.......
Looks great bro, mine are all different colors throughout everything. Blue in door modules, UV in some switches, soon to be green/blue cluster lol

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Ya sorry old pic they always do that here is the new smds

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423551605712.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423551605712.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 37

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So friggin tiny haha. I would need some new soldering tips for those lil guys

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
Looking for some honest feedback about these. I don't have a large budget for LED Turn Signals but if there a better option for not that much more money let me know. :thumbsup:

ebay link: Switchback 3157 3357 Amber/White LED High Power Turn Signal Light Bulb +Resistor

View attachment 65181

Specification:
Color: 3000K Amber / 6000K White
LED Type: 22 LED 5730 SMD High Power (11 Amber / 11 White)
Dimension: 17.5mm Diameter, 63.0mm Length
Actual Lumen: 370 / 280 Lumen (White / Amber)

Feature:
High performance LED, long lifespan, superior illumination & stability
Environmental-friendly: energy saving, no UV and IR radiation, shock-proof and anti-corrosion
Easy installation, just plug & play
Faster on/off response time and vibration resistant
Two 6 Ohm Load Resistors included, prevent Hyper Flashing, No Flashing or Burnt Out / Error Code
Resistors have NO positive or negative wire

Reactions: Sib and Mounce

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
They'll be fine. Just be prepared, the amber will not be nearly as bright as the white LEDs. That's a problem with all switchback bulbs IMO, so no way around that besides building your own.

emedlin

Jan 25, 2012
I got the 5050's installed in my interior lights. Like everyone said the ones that come on when you press the button don't light up as bright unless you open the vanity. Found it interesting that it stays bright even after you close the vanity. Although that was tested when I had only swapped the front passenger side out. My wife and kids said it looks like a space ship now. I think it looks like a newer car.

I was wondering if yall trimmed the metal reflector so it would fit around the LED's that turn on/off when you press the button. Mine were too wide for it to go around, so I just removed it for now.

Reactions: Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine are gone. They don't do squat with my bulbs so I pitched them.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I also removed the metal reflectors, although as you can tell, I went slightly overboard with my dome lights. Just slightly. :blush:
Slightly? :faint: That's like she's almost pregnant or you're almost a virgin. You are fully infected with the LED mod bug. :sick:

Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Has anyone used led strips for the side marker lights? Would you just have to stick the wires of the strips into the sockets?

I guess that would require me to open up the headlights though :duh:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sib said:
Has anyone used led strips for the side marker lights? Would you just have to stick the wires of the strips into the sockets?

Someone did a mock up of them in there, but it looks bad IMO

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sib said:

Yeah pretty much. In my first retro (now Aarkon's) I put switchback strips on acrylic pieces for the main turns, and on the sides. I also have switchback strips in my mirror lenses.

See, your mod big is giving you some subliminal messages. Listen to them! :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david herman

Members Online