gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Reactions: Mounce

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Sib said:
Nice. Thanks for getting back. Gonna have to check these out as my reverse lights are bright white but I can't see much of anything when backing up.
Yeah, these light up a pretty large area.
Even with my garbage vision I haven't had a single problem seeing behind me since I put them in.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Hey Blckshdw (or another subject matter expert), I've been searching through some electronics pages and using what I can on Google. Can anyone direct me to some decent information where I can figure out the difference between 7020 LEDs, 5630s, I 5050s, 3528's, etc.?

I'm looking mostly at SMD type strips but I'd like to add some to wheelwells (so I know I'll need IP 67 or better probably), interior footwells, grill, and some as brows around my headlamps. If I can find the information I need, I'm pretty familiar with voltage and resistance, draw, and serial versus parallel.

Thanks for the help.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
Hey Blckshdw (or another subject matter expert), I've been searching through some electronics pages and using what I can on Google. Can anyone direct me to some decent information where I can figure out the difference between 7020 LEDs, 5630s, I 5050s, 3528's, etc.?

I'm looking mostly at SMD type strips but I'd like to add some to wheelwells (so I know I'll need IP 67 or better probably), interior footwells, grill, and some as brows around my headlamps. If I can find the information I need, I'm pretty familiar with voltage and resistance, draw, and serial versus parallel.

Thanks for the help.
Basically, when LED chips are referred to as numbers you are talking about the dimension. Example, the 3528s are 3.5mm x 2.8mm, 5050s are 5.0mm x 5.0mm, etc. The larger the dimension, the more surface area the chip will have and in turn provide more lumens.

I believe the latest Samsung chip on the market is the 5730s 5.7mm x 3.0mm. There are not many vendors I have seen offering this chip and if they do they are still expensive as compared to the 5630s.

For lumen output per (1) chip you are looking at the following:

3528- 8 lumens
5050- 22 lumens
5630- 50 lumens
5730- 60 lumens

As you know, the power draw increases as the chips get larger. I have upgraded to the 5630s from the 5050s and they are way brighter than the 5050s considering that (2) 5630 chips are as bright as (4) 5050 chips. I have also found that the 5630s run hotter as well, at least in the T10/194 base.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Thanks David. That explains a bunch to me. So now I can look at lumens output versus size. Wondering if anyone has seen any info on the differences between a long rectangular (7020) chip vs one that is closer to square (5050 or 5630, 5730). This is just curiosity. I've found some now with the info above that are 5630s, SMD, IP67, and are relatively inexpensive (and US based seller). Hoping they have colors.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
7020 is the same concept, 7.0mm x 2.0mm, but does not appear to be that popular of a choice of LED. From what I can find the lumen rating is 40-50 lumens per LED. If you wanting the brightest you can get, I would look for some 5730s or if cost is an issue, 5630s will do ok as well.

Reactions: Mounce and mcsteven

emedlin

Jan 25, 2012
Most of my interior and cargo dome lights have burned out. I was going to replace them with standard bulbs, but thought I would check out LED's first. Does anyone make a kit to replace all the dome lights in an XUV? Really need a plug and play kit as I have never soldered anything before.

By they way nice work replacing the console lights with LED's to those who have done it.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
All dome lights are plug and play. All are the T10/194 base and the cargo area is a 212.

Kits are very expensive and sold to people who do not know what they need from what I have seen on EBay. It is easier and cheaper to know what bulb base you need and buy them individually.

Never seen the interior of the XUV, so I am not 100% sure on the cargo light bulb base.

Sylvania's website will list every bulb base number for your vehicle based on location.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Your interior lights will be 194s. I don't remember what the cargo area lights on the sides are. My roommate has an XUV, I'll have to try to remember to look one of these days.

Reactions: dmanns67

emedlin

Jan 25, 2012
Thanks, that helps alot. How bright are the stock bulbs? I don't want to get something to dim or to bright.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
emedlin said:
Thanks, that helps alot. How bright are the stock bulbs? I don't want to get something to dim or to bright.
(1) 194 incandescent bulb produces about 25 lumens. Majority of the 194 LEDs that are sold are made with the 5050, 5630, 3528, and the newest chip which is 5730. Below is a list of the chip sizes and lumen output.

3528- 8 lumens
5050- 22 lumens
5630- 50 lumens
5730- 60 lumens

The 194s with the 5050 chips typically have (5) chips per 194 bulb which comes out to roughly 110 lumens or a little over four times as bright as an incandescent 194. With the 194s with the 5630 chips, they typically have (6) chips per bulb for a total of 250 lumens. I would avoid the 3528s since they are not that bright.

I am using the 5630 194s in my interior lights currently and the added lumens make a huge difference at night as compared to the incadescent bulbs.

One thing I have noticed after switching over to LEDs in the interior, when you press to turn on one of the interior lights, the LED only lights up about 25% of the way. This is ok for me because if I am driving at night and the wife needs to turn on one of the interior lights, I am not blinded by 250 lumens. I also have replaced the vanity mirror lights with LEDs as well. I have noticed if an interior light is on at 25%, once you open the vanity mirror and the LED comes on, the interior light that was on will illuminate to 100%. So if for some reason you need 100% lumens out of one map light, all you will need to do is open the vanity mirror.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
There's something weird about the circuit.. I don't know if anyone has really narrowed it down but it seems that they're likely fed a pwm signal so instead of a constant 12v it's rapid pulses of 12v.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
emedlin said:
Mine does the same thing. I have not looked into it. But I am sure it is a grounding issue.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think it's the latter, I've tried to see the difference but can't. I think it's just more obvious on leds because they're instant on and off while filaments will glow for a second.

Reactions: Capote

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
emedlin said:
LEDs look good to me. Good call on the US seller. At least you will have extra on hand in case one burns out due to quality issues.

Also, the lights above the license plate are a 194 base as well in case you want to replace them since you have extra. If you do one exterior lighting swap to LED then you will have to do all. The mod bug will be [emoji14]oke: you :yes:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BlazingTrails said:
No it has to do with resistance through the standard bulbs. They have resistance and LEDs do not. So it is likely to be a grounding issue. I will look into it and see if I can find a simple solution. If so I will report back.
Sounds like a load resistor scenario. Interested to see what you find out. Due to my own curiosity, I will likely troll you until you get some findings. So no slacking!! :nono:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think I have that problem with mine. I'm running single chip Samsung 5630 bulbs in the front which is bright enough for me.

emedlin

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
I don't think I have that problem with mine. I'm running single chip Samsung 5630 bulbs in the front which is bright enough for me.
Can you provide a link to the ones you have? Thanks.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
emedlin said:
Can you provide a link to the ones you have? Thanks.
I have used many different LEDs, brands, chips, etc and they all behave this way. This is not an issue you should concern yourself with. Just passing on an observation that all of us have experienced since switching over to LEDs in the interior lights. Just wanted to give you a heads up so you did not think anything was wrong as that is how the LEDs behave.

I forgot to mention, if you would like to replace the vanity mirror lights with LEDs, you are looking for the fuse shaped LEDs that are 29mm long. Typically you can search "vanity mirror LED" and they will come up. Just make sure they are 29mm in length and you will be ok.

Reactions: Mounce

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Something I came across during thread cleanup, those with vanity lights have reported that opening the visor, causes the reading lights to brighten up like the doors are open. I would like to know if any who have swapped those to LED, still have this functionality. If so, then I would go back to believing the dimming is by PWM logic, and not a resistance thing as Brandon theorized.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Blckshdw said:
Something I came across during thread cleanup, those with vanity lights have reported that opening the visor, causes the reading lights to brighten up like the doors are open. I would like to know if any who have swapped those to LED, still have this functionality. If so, then I would go back to believing the dimming is by PWM logic, and not a resistance thing as Brandon theorized.
Yes sir. The reading light fully illuminates when my sun visor is open. The reading light will dim once the visor is closed.

I believe the reading lights behaved the same way with the incandescent bulbs in the visor as well.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
My led panels do the same thing, only light partially when turned on, however I would never want to "fix" that. At night they would be WAY to bright at full power. They are still plenty bright.

Reactions: dmanns67
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright so having a few issues.. To the ones that have done the strips in the cluster, how did you get them to stick around all the curves?

Lil teaser with a single strip on the top, but it's not stuck all the way around because the tape that came on the strips isn't holding.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423377657606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423377657606.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 32

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So the 3M backing isn't holding up behind the cluster guys??

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, the ones with the 3M adhesive directly on the strip don't seem to hold up very well. I always apply some 3M double sided molding tape. Then it doesn't move without you removing it. :yes:

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That's odd considering all my LED strips exposed to water and dirt have held up extremely well. Weird it's not holding up in the cluster. Well when I do my cluster I'll save myself the trouble and get that molding tape too

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The ones I got for my eyebrows (post #1) were like that. The way I had them setup, I couldn't tell sections were coming loose, until the hood was up and I was trying to figure out why some sections had gone out. Had a thought of how hooptie it would look like if a strip came loose while driving, and was dangling in front of the truck, how that would look to oncoming traffic. :eek:

Couldn't have that, got me a roll of the double sided tape that afternoon. :tongue:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I always got extra 3M with me [emoji106]

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Aarkon said:
I also used small peices of molding tape cause mine tried to peel off as well
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, the ones with the 3M adhesive directly on the strip don't seem to hold up very well. I always apply some 3M double sided molding tape. Then it doesn't move without you removing it. :yes:
Awesome I knew if I just went to bed n finished it in the morning I would have some good answers to help me get it done today..
Capote said:
So the 3M backing isn't holding up behind the cluster guys??
The 3m backing on this strip at least is weak. And while trying to go around all the bends, it just doesn't stick.

Reactions: Aarkon

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
3M makes a billion different types of tape. My guess is they used the cheapest 3M available on the strips, while still being able to say "uses high quality 3M!" on the ads.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcwest38

Members Online

No members online now.