YT: 4200 turbo build

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know a couple of guys asked about turbos. This one is just the install but not tuned yet but interesting how he does it. Not for keeping it all under the hood though.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And then.... nothing. It sounds like he made it more complicated than it should be and gave up. Maybe @limequat could throw some knowledge at him but I do know that the pre-08 PCM are harder to program. Maybe he should have went with an 08-09 instead.

Reactions: 808

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Cool. He's just not working on that turbo build though. Sure hope he doesn't try to swap in the 05 motor into the 08 electronics because we all know that won't work. I'll bet he's gonna hunt for an 08-09 motor if he can get the body and chassis together.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And pt. 5

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Cool. He's just not working on that turbo build though. Sure hope he doesn't try to swap in the 05 motor into the 08 electronics because we all know that won't work. I'll bet he's gonna hunt for an 08-09 motor if he can get the body and chassis together.
Watched them all last night. I cant remember what video it was but he did speak on grabbing the head off the 08 and doing some port work and maybe put it on the 05 motor. Like you said it won't work but we'll see where he goes with that. Hopefully he finds out sooner than later that picking up a good running 08-09 i6 will be his best option. I sure hope he does go all the way through to the end of this project.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks like he may have stalled or abandoned this project. No updates since April.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
That's unfortunate. I love seeing what people are capable of doing with the I6. I noticed he had an XUV (no plates) sitting in the back of the lot, when they were moving the upper body outside. Wonder if hes got a small collection em, to toy around with.

Would be great to see more "completed" builds, it seems like a fully working turbo I6 is as scare as the mythical V8 swap.

Reactions: 808 and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
With that idea in mind... This Lad installed and Turbo-Charged a Vortec 4200 Set Up in his Ancient Studebaker Lark that originally sported an NA In-Line Six:

...and here is "The Sloppy Mechanic" 's Video on how he Tuned the Machine ...with real interest and fascination with our GMT360 Engine Platform:

Last edited:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
There's another from going to the drag strip, it seems to be fairly quick. Looks like he still needs to do some tweaks, it did beat the Mustang that crashed and the car that blew its motor :yikes:

• Love

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here, he tried to 3D print some intake runners and was almost successful. Good proof of concept and also found a possible compatible intake plenum but would require redoing the runners.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Here is some interesting background*** on what the behaviors of Longer vs. Shorter Intake Runners are while affecting Engine Performance... especially Racing "ET":

*** The Writer has included a Bonus Link to another Article, "How to Turbo-Charge and Tune Your Engine"

• Love

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This one popped up on recommended videos, from member @ConeKilrAutoX

Last I can see from him here is he blew the motor and parted it out.

• Wow

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The sacrifices he made - no AC, heat or interior. Not for me...
This truck does not make a good racecar. It looks like that is what he was trying to achieve.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Still gives ideas on how to turbo this engine.

• Love

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
I mean, not the way I would have gone but kudos to him for doing his own thing. The 05 PCM is virtually not tunable for boost. But the 08 PCM (E67) is almost as versatile as an aftermarket ECU.

@limequat Would you please explain more about the E67 capabilities (and limits) as a forced induction controller?

For example, are there additional I/O's available, can some I/O's be reassigned, can boost control be achieved, what are the absolute pressure limits and so on.

I happen to have a 2wd controller out of a 08/2007 TB. It has a tiny E67 stamped on the backing plate, so I'll assume it's the controller you mention. I'm interested to work with you when it comes time to address power adding mods using the stock ECM.

Thank you,
Rick

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
@limequat Would you please explain more about the E67 capabilities (and limits) as a forced induction controller?

For example, are there additional I/O's available, can some I/O's be reassigned, can boost control be achieved, what are the absolute pressure limits and so on.

I happen to have a 2wd controller out of a 08/2007 TB. It has a tiny E67 stamped on the backing plate, so I'll assume it's the controller you mention. I'm interested to work with you when it comes time to address power adding mods using the stock ECM.

Thank you,
Rick
Hi Rick,
The P12 PCM is limited in that it can only read 67 lb/min airflow and it only uses the first 11khz of the maf. The E67 can use the full range of the maf and read over 500 lb/min. The P12 spark tables only go to about 2 bar. The E67 spark table axes are calibratable -so you could theoretically have unique spark timing at 50 psi.
The E67 can do E85, intercooler pump, and dual VVT (if only). There's probably more, but that's what I know...

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
Gentlemen,
I'm intrigued by the idea of retaining the E67 controller for operating a forced induction application.
I see the above examples and cannot help but wonder if their choice of controller is causing some of their headaches. What are your thoughts? Additionally, I already have a pile of stock harnesses and a few controllers. Purchasing a replacement stand alone control system seems wasteful and unnecessary to me at this juncture. Am I right?

Rick

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
@limequat, a simple question: Can the E67 controller be used retroactive on the 2006 engine with the 7x crank reluctor? Besides the crank counter, would there be any other obstacles to having the E67 manage the older engine?

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
@limequat, a simple question: Can the E67 controller be used retroactive on the 2006 engine with the 7x crank reluctor? Besides the crank counter, would there be any other obstacles to having the E67 manage the older engine?

Unfortunately there is no easy way for the E67 to control an 06-07 engine. Many people have made this mistake and had to get new engines.
Besides the crank teeth, the cam teeth are different too. In fact, many of the sensors and actuators are different and would need to be switched over such as the throttle body and crank sensor itself.

Reactions: rchalmers3

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Someone who was industrious could theoretically swap out the cam sprockets and build an external 58x reluctor wheel.

That's some real outside the engine thinking. :biggrin:

Say Lime, I seen this today on the 4200 Facebook page about the complete intake cam sprocket replacement from an MY 06-07 onto the MY 08-09 to fix MS3's problematic software issues. Do you think it's a thing? From what I read earlier, MS3 was somehow broken from a software standpoint across the board for controlling the VVT on the 4200. I was certain Jarrod had this working on the Vega years back.

Reactions: rchalmers3

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
Besides the crank teeth, the cam teeth are different too. In fact, many of the sensors and actuators are different and would need to be switched over such as the throttle body and crank sensor itself.

Thank you limequat, I appreciate your insight. I have a pile of mixed parts from a variety of year models to pull from, and I noticed a MAF sensor on the intake tube of what is presumably a newer year model. I need to back up a bit and match the harnesses, sensors and computers to their respective years.

I'll be sending you a P12 controller for unlocking and to configure for stand alone operation . How do I identify the P12 from the earlier and later models?

Rick

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
That's some real outside the engine thinking. :biggrin:

Say Lime, I seen this today on the 4200 Facebook page about the complete intake cam sprocket replacement from an MY 06-07 onto the MY 08-09 to fix MS3's problematic software issues. Do you think it's a thing? From what I read earlier, MS3 was somehow broken from a software standpoint across the board for controlling the VVT on the 4200. I was certain Jarrod had this working on the Vega years back.

I'm not sure if they got MS3 working for VVT for any sprocket. But it makes sense that you could change the sprockets around for whatever is supported.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Thank you limequat, I appreciate your insight. I have a pile of mixed parts from a variety of year models to pull from, and I noticed a MAF sensor on the intake tube of what is presumably a newer year model. I need to back up a bit and match the harnesses, sensors and computers to their respective years.

I'll be sending you a P12 controller for unlocking and to configure for stand alone operation . How do I identify the P12 from the earlier and later models?

Rick

The 2002-2005 PCM looks unlike any other GM PCM. It's sealed and has 3 large connectors that are the same size.
The P12 PCM has a form factor that is similar to many other PCMs. It has a blue, gray, and black connector. The black one is bigger.
p12pcmsmall.jpg

The E67 PCM was used in 2008 and 2009. It is nearly indistinguishable from the P12. You can tell it from the extra keying on the connectors that the P12 doesn't have.

• Love
Reactions: 808 and rchalmers3

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope unless you want to add something to it.

Sep 8, 2022
Fayetteville ar
Is anyone building these engines still ? I bought one with a turbo on it already. 07 trailblazer lowered with bell tech street performance de-caped injectors 340lph fuel pump gt45 turbo. Needs a good tune but it runs and drives.

Attachments

• Message_1659300187404.jpg
    Message_1659300187404.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 8

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@limequat would be the one to talk to for a tune on these. IIRC he had a boosted 4.2 in a Supra. Most other tuners probably don't know much about this engine but you never know.

Would be interesting to see the details of your turbo setup.

Reactions: limequat
Sep 8, 2022
Fayetteville ar
Its kinda slung together for now. Going to clean it up more when it runs better. I've kinda talked to limequat on the phone once. Most decently needs a tune and hope that will help it out. Cause it won't even do a burn out at the moment very sad.

Reactions: limequat

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Take High Quality Images of EVERYTHING You have 'Under The Hood' and POST them all up HERE ...so we can see what is THERE...

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Looks like fun! A couple of thoughts from the pics:
1) It may be worthwhile to move the MAF to in front of the turbo. For sure the air in front of the throttle is going to be a mess and you could be getting bad readings
2) Not sure if there is room/inclination to do so, but moving the filter out in front of the engine will reap rewards as well. Currently it's sitting right over the exhaust manifold.

Sep 8, 2022
Fayetteville ar
So the maf is rite behind that air cleaner. Tried to do a little test to move it. Made it worse going to try. Move it some more to help it. This is my first diy turbo I have several other cars. None have turbos beside a factory one.

Attachments

• 20220910_091229_HDR.jpg
    20220910_091229_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nice fleet. Is that an SS I see? I have it's older cousin, an '11 Caprice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online