YT: 4200 turbo build

Mooseman

I know a couple of guys asked about turbos. This one is just the install but not tuned yet but interesting how he does it. Not for keeping it all under the hood though.

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

And then.... nothing. It sounds like he made it more complicated than it should be and gave up. Maybe @limequat could throw some knowledge at him but I do know that the pre-08 PCM are harder to program. Maybe he should have went with an 08-09 instead.

xavierny25

There is actually more.

And then it continues with a few more videos. He does say that he will be going back to putting a turbo in this 08.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Cool. He's just not working on that turbo build though. Sure hope he doesn't try to swap in the 05 motor into the 08 electronics because we all know that won't work. I'll bet he's gonna hunt for an 08-09 motor if he can get the body and chassis together.

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

And pt. 5

xavierny25

Cool. He's just not working on that turbo build though. Sure hope he doesn't try to swap in the 05 motor into the 08 electronics because we all know that won't work. I'll bet he's gonna hunt for an 08-09 motor if he can get the body and chassis together.
Watched them all last night. I cant remember what video it was but he did speak on grabbing the head off the 08 and doing some port work and maybe put it on the 05 motor. Like you said it won't work but we'll see where he goes with that. Hopefully he finds out sooner than later that picking up a good running 08-09 i6 will be his best option. I sure hope he does go all the way through to the end of this project.

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Looks like he may have stalled or abandoned this project. No updates since April.

Mike534x

That's unfortunate. I love seeing what people are capable of doing with the I6. I noticed he had an XUV (no plates) sitting in the back of the lot, when they were moving the upper body outside. Wonder if hes got a small collection em, to toy around with.

Would be great to see more "completed" builds, it seems like a fully working turbo I6 is as scare as the mythical V8 swap.

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
With that idea in mind... This Lad installed and Turbo-Charged a Vortec 4200 Set Up in his Ancient Studebaker Lark that originally sported an NA In-Line Six:

...and here is "The Sloppy Mechanic" 's Video on how he Tuned the Machine ...with real interest and fascination with our GMT360 Engine Platform:

Last edited:

Mike534x

There's another from going to the drag strip, it seems to be fairly quick. Looks like he still needs to do some tweaks, it did beat the Mustang that crashed and the car that blew its motor :yikes:

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Here, he tried to 3D print some intake runners and was almost successful. Good proof of concept and also found a possible compatible intake plenum but would require redoing the runners.

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
Here is some interesting background*** on what the behaviors of Longer vs. Shorter Intake Runners are while affecting Engine Performance... especially Racing "ET":

*** The Writer has included a Bonus Link to another Article, "How to Turbo-Charge and Tune Your Engine"

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

This one popped up on recommended videos, from member @ConeKilrAutoX

Last I can see from him here is he blew the motor and parted it out.

Mektek

The sacrifices he made - no AC, heat or interior. Not for me...
This truck does not make a good racecar. It looks like that is what he was trying to achieve.

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Still gives ideas on how to turbo this engine.

rchalmers3

I mean, not the way I would have gone but kudos to him for doing his own thing. The 05 PCM is virtually not tunable for boost. But the 08 PCM (E67) is almost as versatile as an aftermarket ECU.
@limequat Would you please explain more about the E67 capabilities (and limits) as a forced induction controller?

For example, are there additional I/O's available, can some I/O's be reassigned, can boost control be achieved, what are the absolute pressure limits and so on.

I happen to have a 2wd controller out of a 08/2007 TB. It has a tiny E67 stamped on the backing plate, so I'll assume it's the controller you mention. I'm interested to work with you when it comes time to address power adding mods using the stock ECM.

Thank you,
Rick

limequat

@limequat Would you please explain more about the E67 capabilities (and limits) as a forced induction controller?

For example, are there additional I/O's available, can some I/O's be reassigned, can boost control be achieved, what are the absolute pressure limits and so on.

I happen to have a 2wd controller out of a 08/2007 TB. It has a tiny E67 stamped on the backing plate, so I'll assume it's the controller you mention. I'm interested to work with you when it comes time to address power adding mods using the stock ECM.

Thank you,
Rick
Hi Rick,
The P12 PCM is limited in that it can only read 67 lb/min airflow and it only uses the first 11khz of the maf. The E67 can use the full range of the maf and read over 500 lb/min. The P12 spark tables only go to about 2 bar. The E67 spark table axes are calibratable -so you could theoretically have unique spark timing at 50 psi.
The E67 can do E85, intercooler pump, and dual VVT (if only). There's probably more, but that's what I know...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
Laruscetti
Top Bottom