What are you doing today? [Part II]

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
The mrs. & I went to a pee wee ball game last night. We watch about 1 hour of pure fun. No overbearing parents just 7-9 year olds playing the best they could. If you haven't been to a little league baseball game lately and would like to relax watching a game go to your local ball field and enjoy this past time. And it was extra nice when there were two infield home runs and not due to errors. The ending score was 15 to 8 so plenty of runs helped the watching too.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Hauled in manure to the garden a tilled it in a few days back. Likely going to plant it tomorrow evening. Have my tomatoes, celery and new strawberry plants already in. My raspberry transplants from last summer are starting to grow and a few of last years strawberries have come back.

I may have used the Tracked machine to haul in the manure.... more as a comparison to the wheeled....

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Sons of bitchin coyotes are back with a vengeance. Found tracks in our horse pens now, including the mares and foals. Just before lunch they came milling about. Hell, two adults came running near, playing, then into the mare and foal pen. They got the horses in a panic and just about came at me. They moved off about 50m and I got a steady shot with my 308. Blasted the one, cycle the action and get a bead on the second just as it crested the rise and disappeared. Not bad witha bolt action and optics with a narrow field of view.

The one I hit got a second just to verify. Well they pissed me off for the last time. Coyotes are coyotes but when they think its ok to wander in during the day....

Attachments

• 20240524_121536.jpg
    20240524_121536.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well boys, just finished playing around with my 3500. So last year I figured I had its reoccurring P0111 issue potentially fixed. This past weekend it popped back on. Towing with ambient 15c, fine. 17c, fine. Hits 19c and on goes the light.

Swapped the IAT sensor with EGR temp sensor (same sensor used). Sure as shit they were both dirty again. I cleaned them both last year since I had them out. Seeing as the thing has been deleted for 60,000km with the EGR turned off, there should be no further soot on those sensors.

So now have to look at getting block of plates and remove the cooler and piping. I was hoping to avoid it as unnecessary work and expense, yet here we are.

Attachments

• 20240529_201804.jpg
    20240529_201804.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I am now officially unemployed. Now just waiting for the final work on my security clearance for the new job. Hope it's not too fast as I wouldn't mind the summer off :biggrin:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Just got back from buying the wife a newer mini-van..
438159728_957760085861779_38529337467042775_n.jpg

2012 Toyota Sienna Limited Premium AWD 92k miles, $15950

Its weird buying a vehicle thats not Silver... But Gold is in the same area!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Nice, certainly a step up from the "jack tester" .... :biggrin:

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Eighty Years Ago....Today...On June 6th, 1944, The SAC (Supreme Allied Commander) Five Star General Dwight David Eisenhower ordered our Allied Troops to cross the English Channel and land... NOT at the Pas De Calais, as they had tried to *spoof* the German High Command into believing, but upon the flat and sandy beaches of Normandy, France.

This was the day that we would to start the Land Counter-Invasion of NAZI Occupied France.This was the very first effort that began at the place the German General Irwin Rommel had planned for, designed and built up to resist us with what he called "Fortress Europe".

Over 60,000,000 people perished during that Five Year Long War; either while fighting for one side... or the other... or simply because they just plain got in the way of it all. So it is worth pausing for a moment and remembering the significance of "D-Day" and our eventual Allied Victory.

We should also pause and Pray to God and His Angels that we don't have to repeat this need to combine our International Armies once again and Fight against the Tyranny that Rears its Ugly Head ....RIGHT NOW ... starting in the second quarter of the 21st Century, AD to wreak havoc upon the European Continent.

In addition to paying such homage today to World War Two...Starting at 7:00 AM Central Time, it is notable that the Biggest Flying Machine EVER Created by the Mind and Industry of Man will make its Fourth Test Flight Attempt by lighting off (33) Type 2 Raptor Engines made in-house by SpaceX and capable;e of generating 15,000,000 Pounds of Thrust.

This power amounts to over twice that of the Saturn 5 Rocket-Dyne Rockets that took the Apollo Astronauts to The Moon and Back to Mother Earth. It is designed to roar and rumble up and away from the OLT under so much strength from its "BFR" Booster, that it can launch the latest Iteration of the Starship Spacecraft capable of lofting over 100 Tons into orbit, well away from the serene shoreline of the Gulf Of Mexico in Boca Chica, Texas and fly right around this Very Troubled Planet of Ours... The Good Earth.

This is an Outline of what we should see this morning:

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I haven't posted in a while, so figured I'd make up for it with some good old fashioned pic/post whoring :biggrin: Couple weeks ago, got an email coupon from HF about their handheld steamer. Had been kicking around the idea of getting one, mainly for my countertop grill cuz the plates never come 100% clean out of the dishwasher. Figured something like this would be good for cleaning small stuff like that.

Since you're 'supposed' to use distilled water to prevent deposits from clogging up the machine, I looked up some YT videos on how to make your own. Most people used a large pot of water, placed a smaller bowl inside, put the lid on upside down and fire up the stove. Water boils, collects on the lid, and whatever condenses drips into the bowl for you to use. Pretty easy, but the mod bug yawned. Saw some more complicated videos, one in particular where a guy used a throwaway pressure cooker, drilled a hole in the lid to screw in a barb fitting, use some tubing to connect to a copper coil in a small bucket as a condenser, that fed into a mason jar. Mod bug liked that idea :lightbulb:

Wanted to keep it cheap, in case is was a miserable failure, so here's the route I went. I have an InstantPot with a pressure cooker lid. One of the pressure valves leaves a 3/8" hole when removed, so I bought a length of clear vinyl tubing to fit that. I have my old aux transmission cooler that I took out of the EXT (that I suspected had a clogged thermal bypass) and some 3/8" hose pieces left over. Grabbed an old 2.5 gallon bucket, drilled an outlet hole near the bottom and started piecing stuff together.

20240607_163620_resize.jpg20240607_163629_resize.jpg20240607_164344_resize.jpg20240607_164356_resize.jpg20240607_164403_resize.jpg20240607_164441_resize.jpg20240607_164449_resize.jpg

Had to cut the clear tubing at a 45* angle to insert it into the lid. Used short sections of the transmission line to use as couplers for the clear tubing into/out of the cooler.

20240607_164917_resize.jpg20240607_164929_resize.jpg20240607_165319_resize.jpg

Set up everything at the sink, since I figured there was going to be water coming out of the bucket, and if anything went sideways, best place for hot water would be right there. Setup a plastic bottle in the sink and inserted the drain tube after dropping the cooler into the bucket.

20240607_165901_resize.jpg20240607_165920_resize.jpg

I had a bunch of ice packs, to brought them all out. Placed those around the cooler, and then emptied about 3/4 of the ice maker on top of everything.

20240607_170320_resize.jpg20240607_170914_resize.jpg

Fired up the pressure cooker, and could slowly see condensation working its way up the clear tube. After about 10 minutes, there was a steady stream of steam pushing through to the cooler, and eventually through the drain tube. It started melting the plastic bottle as it wasn't condensing in the cooler at all. Switched to a glass that was nearby, and then noticed some goop starting to flush out. I had flushed the cooler with water to get the rest of the Dexron out of it, so I assumed this is what had clogged things up and caused the cooler to stop helping my transmission. Good old steam cleaning for the win! :laugh:

20240607_172210_resize.jpg

I added some water into the ice bucket, and that solved the steam output issue, after a few moments, it turned into a steady drip, but some of that was due to the non-seal where the exit tube passed through the bucket. Used a water bottle to put a slight rise in the tube so the melt water didn't run down the tube where the distilled water was draining.

20240607_172856_resize.jpg20240607_172914_resize.jpg

I still had some more sludge make its way out of the cooler, but the proof of concept seemed to work the way I wanted it to. As long as there was a decent amount of water to submerge the cooler, the steam condensed completely and the exit tubing wasn't warm at all. Just need to address that bulkhead to prevent leaking and I think I could boil off as much water as I needed without needing to add more ice. Doing this would have also saved my plastic bottle the first time around. But live and learn.

20240607_174148_resize.jpg20240607_174306_resize.jpg20240607_181931_resize.jpg

Granted, I don't NEED a ton of distilled water at the moment. This steam cleaner only holds ~12 fl oz at a time, but if I ever buy something for larger jobs, like steam cleaning the floors or upholstery on the couches or anything like that, having a gallon or 2 at the ready, or being able to make enough ahead of time would be quite convenient. :2thumbsup:

Was able to clean out the glass with some Dawn and hot water, and I had a pipe cleaner that took care of the tubing, so the only casualty was the plastic spray bottle.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Should anyone need to use distilled water and not have the time and engineering that Blckshdw
has gone through, stop by your local walmart and for a $1.26 you can purchase a full gallon of distilled water in the childrens section of the store. I pick it up there for the wife's cpap machine.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Floridians living in and around the Gulf of Mexico adjacent the Walton County Area should be aware that there were THREE Shark Attacks within Four Miles of each other and that the local authorities spotted numerous Bull Sharks in that area. Uniquely... Bull Sharks are BIG Thick Headed, Aggressive Creatures, that have the ability to tolerate swimming up into the local Canals of Brackish and Fresh Water ...and thus... they WILL aggressively hunt Human Beings who might think they would NEVER see Salt Water Predatory Fish in the Hot, Sultry areas where their Kids might be fishing, noisily jumping off the docks and swimming right along those narrow waterways at the canal sides of their homes and properties:

But...They MIGHT be WRONG about THAT. If memory serves, back around the year 2000 in the Tampa Bay Area, , one of our Elderly Retirees was just sitting idly on the edge of his dock, gently swishing his legs in the canal water just below him...but still a fair distance inland from The Gulf of Mexico ... when a large Bull Shark swam right up to him, grabbed him by the legs, and as he was being swept away, that Shark Bit the Old Fellow in HALF. His death sparked the interest of the local USF Marine Scientists who tried to raise awareness and educate the local population about Dangerous Shark Behaviors....and that of "Risky Humans" as well.

Listen for any updates or local Water Entry Warnings and advisories about such things occurring nearby. One "Shark Bite" Event might be considered quite unusual. But statistically... Having TWO (Correction... Make that THREE Now...) such Incidents occurring within a Single Day, only 90 Minutes apart and in such close proximity from each other around a Four Mile Stretch near shallow, shoreline-sand-bar locations is very rare, indeed. So THESE Three Events cannot be matters of mere coincidence!

florida-county-map.jpg

Question: "What Do You Call a Tourist who Swims in the Gulf Of Mexico near the locations of Three, Back-to-Back Shark Attacks?"

Answer: "Shark Bait..."

EDIT: June 10th, 2024 @ 08:00 PM EST

THIS is Important Information that my just save your life...

Some years back...While investigating possible means for repelling Aggressive Shark Species... some Scientists settled upon using the Power of Magnetism present in having a whole array of Neodymium Magnets mounted upon a Rake Like Pole Device... the Strong Magnetic Field set up around the Divers performing this very dangerous experiment observed that the incoming large numbers of Bull Sharks hunting for Prey... were Completely Startled and Disoriented so badly...t hat they ALL Quickly Swam away from this extended apparatus.

So if you have scavenged all of the ND Magnets out of your Old Relic Hard Drives that you may have sitting around.. Building something like this Magnetic Irritant Rake-Pole and keeping it available On-Board Your Boat.. .might just come in handy if you are unlucky enough to get swamped in heavy sea swells and capsized in any body of Salt Water you can think of around the Globe. Just make certain to Grab Hold of IT ASAP B4 heading overboard in any such Boating Emergency... should anything happen to make things go "Sideways at Sea".

Last edited:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thankfully I dont have to worry about shark attacks, flying spiders or things of that nature.

Today was 2/3 days off. My wife and oldest are on their way home from a horse show so my 14 year old and I are batching it. We ate like royalty, Traeger chicken thighs, homemade burgers, ice cream and took a big chunk out of the conjuring movies.

Today I checked my garden, happy to see the peas coming to life and everything else doing well. Then took out the 325G to level the approach into the one pasture. Its used for parking during our cattle events and the breakover angle is not great for some of the big rigs that come and go. So I skimmed it down a bit more. Spotted a pelican overhead, there are quite a few on the nearby river.

Attachments

• 20240609_103654.jpg
    20240609_103654.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240609_145317.jpg
    20240609_145317.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240609_144533.jpg
    20240609_144533.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 7

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Oh joy!

Went to join a Toyota Sienna forum... And guess who its owned by? Vertical Scope..

YAY! :smiley_kill::argue::deadhorse::compu-punch::crazy:

Went to try to join a Toyota Forum... And guess who its owned by? Vertical Scope...

Guess I am stuck with Vertical Scope and Facebook.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
After a MONU"MENTAL" Failure from my latest issues with non-access to YT Videos... Having become addicted at the height of the Covid Crisis to listening to FULL Audio-Books on the Novelized "ALIEN" Sub-Culture...what was ONCE offered (and taken for granted by ME) for FREE over on YT...Disappeared Overnight and bubbled up FOR SALE on Amazon under "Audible" offerings. No Sweat...THESE SCIFI DRAMAS are well worth their asking prices (just search for anything involving Dirk Maggs... and it will open up an entirely new world of SCIFI Entertainment for you)...

But Anyhoo... Early this morning, I was Browsing for something to distract me from my shattered YT Fetish on The Internet Archive...and OMG... I Found THIS.

Now I know that the moment I bring this possibility to the attention of "The Sci-Fi Fanatics" among us ...that some DA will flag it and then it TOO will disappear... So Saying No More About IT... And Without FURTHER ADO... Go Visit This Link...and You will soon figure out WTF I'm talking about...and then...Know WTF to DO about it... Next ;>)...

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaywebb25

Members Online