Watching 'Street Outlaws'

willn513

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Anybody else watching 'Street Outlaws'? Not sure how real it is, but it sure is 'real' entertaining. Basically it follows a group of top 10 street racers in Oklahoma City. It shows tons of illegal street racing and illegal activities all together. Also seems pretty scripted, but neat to watch nonetheless. Anybody from the OKC area? I'd love to know the level of authenticity here... It's on Discovery if you guys are interested. It's new, so I'm sure it will be on repeats all month.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I just watched a preview on youtube. Looks like a decent series, I think I will have to put it on my DVR list.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
seems pretty stupid to me for someone to glorify street racing...thanks to the f&f franchise...reading comments found online after searching street outlaws, most people are opposed, but there are a few that seem rather young that dont have a care in the world and think its the coolest thing

i'm confident in saying that 95% of "reality" shows are scripted or follow some outline, but i'll still watch some of them..

duck dynasty is funny as hell, but street outlaws seems the total opposite

06_GATOR_VOY

May 22, 2013
^^^^^

somewhere I read that duck dynasty isn't scripted.....

anyways I find it hard to believe that street outlaws is 100% real....the racing for sure, but everything else just seems scripted for tv and I was trying to figure out how the hell cops or any bystander couldn't see the bright ass lights they had lighting up the spots they raced, let alone when cops showed up they were able to load their cars on trailers(possibly tie them down so they didn't move or cause damage) and haul ass before a cop showed up or a guy do a burn out/doughnut in the middle of an inner section with a big cloud of smoke and his buddy blowing his train horn and the cop not notice which was sitting at the same inner section.......I mean come on now. it definitely was entertaining but not sure how much is real.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Career Confidential: A Reality TV Editor Reveals The Most And Least Fake Shows

When "Survivor" first came out, that was considered a reality show. It was kind of like unscripted but in a totally scripted setting.

Now reality television has somewhat changed (some refer to it as 'docudrama') with shows like Deadliest Catch, Swamp People, Ax Men, Keeping up with the Kardashians (if you're into that), etc. That's when you basically just go observe people doing what they were normally doing anyway. The show is supposed to just be like a fly on the wall, but now the industry has changed drastically.

I used to watch Swamp People and Ax Men like crazy, but once those shows got popular, it seems that the dynamic changed as though a producer came in and started giving orders. Now those shows are all, in my opinion, very much changed by the producers, to the point where I can't watch them anymore. They aren't scripted in the literal since, but they are IMO improv, where the producer makes up the storyline and gives the guys a direction for where they want the scene to go and what they want to have happen, but the scene itself was a fabrication and not the truth.

On the one hand, it's still more real than watching a totally scripted sit-com like Friends or Seinfeld, which is kind of like the argument pro wrestling fans make to those who say pro wrestling is stupid because it's fake. These are real people that do have real jobs, or at least did at first. However, you are now taking guys who used to be lumberjacks for a living, and telling them to act and do improv, and it just is so obvious sometimes when they are in a BS situation.

Also, I don't think people realize how powerful editing can be. I don't mean just cutting out stuff, I mean adding in facial reactions from totally different conversations and clipping together different sentences to completely fabricate a storyline that has nothing to do with what was actually being talked about in real life.

The worst thing about it is it's insulting that they think I'm that stupid. I mean honestly why is there a camera on this truck facing backwards as these guys are driving home from work? And he flips the boat trailer over because of some unbelievably fake reaction to a guy touching the radio, you don't think I'm going to realize that's fake? It turns out that if you look closely, it's apparent that isn't even their boat.

[video=youtube;12A7Ao9rXlM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12A7Ao9rXlM[/video]

I trained with Jeff Bloovman, the young guy in this video. He was telling me that he and James Yeager (the bald white guy) had trained with each other for years before this show, but the producers wanted them to pretend they didn't know each other. He also is a very humble and nice guy, not at all the dickhead they asked him to be in this.

[video=youtube;wYL266zmq1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYL266zmq1s[/video]

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant but basically, if you find the show entertaining, then that's what TV is for, but to answer your question, those are probably guys who know something about street racing but everything in the show they were told to do by the producer or was deceptively edited. The police were probably there the whole time and closed the street down for the show, and then pretended to only show up at the end.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I recorded it to check out this weekend if I find time.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I just watched episode one today and I have to say that it has to be some what scripted. I mean who would go out and spend $3,000 just to prank their friends? They think their "Top 10" cars are the fastest in the country which is interesting because it apprears that they only race each other.

I am sure producers have to get involved to keep the entertainment value of any show. Son of Guns is not so much scripted, as it apprears Will does what he wants and tells the camera crew to go away quite often, but that could be another twist on the show to appear real. I wonder how scripted the show Gold Rush was :undecided:

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Hmm Gold Rush that's a good question. I think that show was less scripted but more deceptively edited. They were complaining constantly about how it was being edited to make it black and white that Todd Hoffman was dumb and Dave Turin was smart and resented Todd for his mistakes but it wasn't like that. It's still disingenuous and took away from an otherwise great show because the viewer who was paying attention couldn't understand why everyone would listen to Todd if he was really that much of a walking calamity.

Sons of Guns is definitely scripted to some degree. When real life lacks enough drama in the producer's opinion, that's when they step in and start screwing around. I remember the Jesse James episode where it was supposedly some big surprise that he showed up, despite a camera crew following him in a truck on the highway before he ever got there. It's just been that recently Will Hayden's terrible business skills have created enough real drama to fill a couple of episodes.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
xtitan1 said:
Hmm Gold Rush that's a good question. I think that show was less scripted but more deceptively edited. They were complaining constantly about how it was being edited to make it black and white that Todd Hoffman was dumb and Dave Turin was smart and resented Todd for his mistakes but it wasn't like that. It's still disingenuous and took away from an otherwise great show because the viewer who was paying attention couldn't understand why everyone would listen to Todd if he was really that much of a walking calamity.

Sons of Guns is definitely scripted to some degree. When real life lacks enough drama in the producer's opinion, that's when they step in and start screwing around. I remember the Jesse James episode where it was supposedly some big surprise that he showed up, despite a camera crew following him in a truck on the highway before he ever got there. It's just been that recently Will Hayden's terrible business skills have created enough real drama to fill a couple of episodes.

Now that you do mention it, I remember all of the guys saying, on the reunion show, that they hate how everything was edited together. Initially I expected Will Hayden to be a good leader as well as having basic business skills, but it seems not to be the case, unless the editing is making it look that way. I wonder how much scripting goes into Will's and Vince's feud. Now on the last episode, it apprears everyone is leaving to start their own business. I would assume he would have his employees sign a contract holding everyone accountable and not allowing them to quit and go work at a competitors business.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Oh another example, I don't know if you saw it, was the episode where there was a hurricane coming and they had the blond guy stay overnight to "guard" the warehouse with a blunderbuss. And they had that whole fake scare when Flem was trying to get in, and then Vince happened to be there. That was such an obvious fabrication! He was guarding the warehouse with a blunderbuss? And the camera crew decided to stay overnight with him? And Flem was attempting to open the door for like 15 seconds to build up the tension?

Which means not only is the Red Jacket crew being told what to do by the producers, but so is Vince. Kind of interesting how the camera crew also just happens to be there when Flem talks to Vince and sees that he has all of those .458 SOCOM barrels that somehow no one else in the world has and Red Jacket needs.

Okay sorry, way off topic now. But to bring it back, I can guarantee you that Street Outlaws follows this new trend in reality TV.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
xtitan1 said:
Oh another example, I don't know if you saw it, was the episode where there was a hurricane coming and they had the blond guy stay overnight to "guard" the warehouse with a blunderbuss. And they had that whole fake scare when Flem was trying to get in, and then Vince happened to be there. That was such an obvious fabrication! He was guarding the warehouse with a blunderbuss? And the camera crew decided to stay overnight with him? And Flem was attempting to open the door for like 15 seconds to build up the tension?

Which means not only is the Red Jacket crew being told what to do by the producers, but so is Vince. Kind of interesting how the camera crew also just happens to be there when Flem talks to Vince and sees that he has all of those .458 SOCOM barrels that somehow no one else in the world has and Red Jacket needs.

Okay sorry, way off topic now. But to bring it back, I can guarantee you that Street Outlaws follows this new trend in reality TV.

i know that show is scripted but i do like to watch it, i wish they had American Guns back on that was a good little show also

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
At the end of the day, the show is for entertainment, and if it entertains you then that's all that matters. I like American Guns a little better because I just find the guys' personalities less grating.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Just watched the second episode today. Hard to believe they can close down a road that long and put up all those flood lights without being noticed. #7 Chuck has been quite annoying and its only episode #2 lol. If his 89' Mustang had as much HP as he does excuses, he would be #1 by now :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online