Video: What are accessories worth in HP?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Was YT surfing when this one popped up. Very interesting to see what each accessory on the motor does to HP and torque numbers.

The fan may be a bigger power robber, especially the thermal type, and may lend some credence to e-fans but are marginal on the GMT360 platform due to the chintzy radiator.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
E-fans work if your cooling system can support them and you don't need 10,000 CFM due to the system being unbalanced in the 4.2. I would definitely run them on the v8s

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, our radiators, both for the i6 and V8, are marginal and were overcompensated by a big mechanical fan. And the other problem adapting efans is marginal A/C performance if the system was not originally designed for them. Been there. It was nice having them and the space but I've sworn them off because of these issues.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Who's spooling it up to 4500rpm? I cruise the highway doing 64mph, at 1800rpm. Climbing a steep mountain (which I have to do regularly but for short distances,) I take it easy and try not to exceed 2200rpm.

I want more torque at 1800rpm.

Reactions: Mooseman

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Reminds me of a project that we did as competitive pistol shooters many years ago. We took every 1911 accessory available and added up all the claims for recoil reduction. We concluded that, if you installed all this junk, your pistol would recoil downwards and would fly toward the target with every shot. Sadly, we never followed through on this project, because it would be ... well, ridiculous.

Add up every horsepower claim for all the marginal accessories, plus the scam of nitrogen-filled tires, and our Trailblazers could run the Daytona 500.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online