Valve covers

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Would you have a copy of that TSB? Haven't heard of anything. either way, those valve covers do look nice!

Oh, I also fixed the title :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Interesting. Is yours using oil? I would imagine an aftermarket valve cover would have a better design than OEM. The TSB doesn't mention that the new valve cover is improved. Just says to replace it if necessary.

Frazier

Original poster
May 1, 2016
Utah
From what I've read, the original valve cover had the pcv valve molded/integrated into the valve cover and was not serviceable. The new valve cover has an improved pcv valve that is serviceable. I haven't noticed excessive oil cunsumpsion. However I think it's time to change the valve cover gaskets and figured why not take care of the tsb while I'm at it and nip any potential problems in the bud.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
If your (general your, not you specifically @Frazier ) engine was using oil, the general consensus on 5.3 AFM boards was that the valve cover (and the windage tray) didn't do anything to fix it. It seemed a rebuild with new rings and a hone of the cylinders would work for a while. I recommend having your AFM/DOD turned off via a tune. You can also unplug the sensor by the vacuum booster as detailed in @Mooseman 's thread until you get a tune, but you'll have a CEL.

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It does depend though. Sometimes it is the cover causing it (run across that a few times for some people). In my case, shutting down AFM almost stopped the oil usage. About 1/4 quart used in almost 3k miles, I can live with that. Better than 2 quarts in 3k miles!

Reactions: Mooseman

Frazier

Original poster
May 1, 2016
Utah
Well, after doing some research on the holley covers, it turn out they won't work. They don't have a pcv provision at all. Those who have installed them had major oil cunsumpsion problem .

I definitely plan on having a tuner turn off the AFM. Right now I'm just focused on routine maintenance. Truck just hit 100k miles. Planning on doing plugs and wires and I figured I would take care of the valve cover while I was at it. Liked the ldea of mounting the coil packs directly to the valve cover rather than an ugly bracket. But I'll probably just go with the updated GM cover.

Frazier

Original poster
May 1, 2016
Utah
Well, I found oil in my intake manifold today:Banghead: I unplugged the brake vacuum sensor. I'm going to order the gm updated valve cover. Hopefully it's not too late.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You're always going to have some in there from PCV. I wouldn't freak out yet.

I still have the original valve cover on mine.

Frazier

Original poster
May 1, 2016
Utah
Switched the valve cover today. Not pretty like the holly covers but hopefully this will help with any oil issues. The old cover has a round opening located 3/4 of the way down from the pcv valve. The new cover has a square flanged opening located even further away from the pcv valve. I've also been told that a chang has been made to the pcv valve itself, but that isn't visible.

Attachments

• 2016-07-30_16.56.03.jpg
    2016-07-30_16.56.03.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 31

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online