Upgraded Forum Software

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
As you can see, we've upgraded our forum software to the latest version allowing us to take advantage of the newest and greatest features and technology. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but instead of keeping the site closed while we tweak features and settings, we've decided to open it up and solicit feedback.

Things to note:
  1. Permissions, user accounts, and content remain the same as they were prior to the upgrade.
  2. Aside from the items mentioned in item #1, we are essentially starting fresh with features and layout.
  3. Attachments & images may not be displaying correctly at the moment, we're working on it.
  4. Many of the features we plan to reinstate cost money, and we have to purchase licenses for this new software.
If you find problems or have questions about this new software (which is largely similar to what you're used to), please post in this thread and allow us time to respond.

We have full-time jobs and families that take priority over the time we have available to spend on our forum software, so please be patient with us while we address things in a prioritized manner.

We also have to purchase new licenses according to a budget. Operating costs eat up most of our revenue, so we won't be able to restore everything immediately.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I'm not even trying to support IE right now, there are all sorts of issues that don't exist on browsers that use updated technology.

Reactions: Reprise
Upvote 0

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
After spending some time on the desktop version (via Chrome) - I can tell the site runs faster now, whether posting new content, or editing a previous post. That's a good thing worth the change in style format alone (e.g.; I now withdraw my earlier stated preference for the 'old' theme...lol)

Future Suggestion - move the page navigation buttons at the bottom across to the RH side (yes, I know it could potentially cause an issue w/ people on Mobile (requiring test / staging), and there are actual bugs to fix right now.)

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130
Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You both likely need to delete your cookies and cache. I haven't seen either of these issues (using Chrome).
I'm using Chrome as well.

EDIT: Disregard, no longer an issue for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
You guys make the rounds far more than I do these days... are the popular threads working OK? Are older attachments, as well as new ones, displaying properly?

Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You guys make the rounds far more than I do these days... are the popular threads working OK? Are older attachments, as well as new ones, displaying properly?
I just checked several threads that are attachment heavy and everything was ay-okay, even for the way older posts.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I just checked several threads that are attachment heavy and everything was ay-okay, even for the way older posts.
Great, thank you.

I've also darkened the text as requested. There are a few menu items that are too dark at the moment as a result of that, I'm tracking down those styles now in an effort to correct them.

Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Anytime :tiphat:
It's all coming together nicely.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just got on the mobile site with my phone on Chrome. Anybody else find navigating twitchy where it will just jump all over when teying to scroll? And typing is laggy as hell.

Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Just got on the mobile site with my phone on Chrome. Anybody else find navigating twitchy where it will just jump all over when teying to scroll? And typing is laggy as hell.
I'm having intermittent twitchy-ness and laggy typing as well. But the lag when typing has always been an issue for me on mobile, even before the update.
I feel the same way when I read some of his posts. :2thumbsup:
Made me chuckle with that one, I think we're all on the same page there.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
But the lag when typing has always been an issue for me on mobile, even before the update.

Me too, was just hoping it's something that can be fixed. I remember it was pretty good for a while. I have a feeling it might be the spell checker doing this but I need it with my fat thumbs.

Reactions: Capote
Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I've just come to accept it.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2016
KSA

Yes have been experiencing it as well. Typing had been an issue on the old version as well but it's more noticeable on the new version. Hope its something that can be sorted out with some improvements

Upvote 0

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Typing seems worse now than before the update but I can tolerate that. I thought the jumping around was just me. I scroll a little and be bottomed on the page lol.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
These little bugs that you report are likely related to the theme we're using as opposed to the update itself. We're working with the developer to get these issues addressed.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Has anyone been getting emails from the new software about thread and post, or PM notifications? I've received a few, but I am seeing a lot of errors on the server-side about email issues.

Input either way would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I switched over to the default template that came with Xenforo 2 (with slightly tweaked colors). Please see if the bugs you've previously reported still exist on both desktop and mobile browsers.

I'm still working on tweaking colors and backgrounds on the default theme, so you may see some subtle changes pop-up.

Upvote 0

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This looks sexy as f*** on mobile. I like.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Scrolling seems fixed. Keyboard lag is better if I switch back to the default keyboard instead of Thumb keyboard 4. Still a bit of lag but much better.

I'd keep this style. Works well in both and free (I guess).

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have not been receiving emails from any of the threads that I watch.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I've also added the option for fixed and fluid width styles, use the selection list at the bottom left corner of page (in the footer).

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hell yeah! The number one complaint was the inability to upload images without having to reduce them first. Just uploaded one and it went through! Reduced my megapixel pic to 36k.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A minor issue with long member names.

Screenshot - 01_01_2018 , 6_22_23 PM.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Has anyone been getting emails from the new software about thread and post, or PM notifications? I've received a few, but I am seeing a lot of errors on the server-side about email issues.

Input either way would be appreciated!

I have been getting emails just fine!

I switched over to the default template that came with Xenforo 2 (with slightly tweaked colors). Please see if the bugs you've previously reported still exist on both desktop and mobile browsers.

I'm still working on tweaking colors and backgrounds on the default theme, so you may see some subtle changes pop-up.

It's waaaaayyy better now. Really fast and fluid. One thing is like to ask is the omission of the hide sections option. Was it responsible for the lag? And will it be added once again? I really liked that option IMO. As always thanks for all your hard work

:thankyou:

Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
@Jman423 The way you have the color-scheme now is perfect, nice & cozy :tiphat:

Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I have been getting emails just fine!

It's waaaaayyy better now. Really fast and fluid. One thing is like to ask is the omission of the hide sections option. Was it responsible for the lag? And will it be added once again? I really liked that option IMO. As always thanks for all your hard work

:thankyou:
I will add it to the list to offer the collapsible categories, but it will be lower down on the list.

@Jman423 The way you have the color-scheme now is perfect, nice & cozy :tiphat:
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with what we have here. There are some rouge elements that need to be brought inline, but the bulk of it is looking good. I haven't even started to shop around for add-on's yet, so functionality is still pretty basic at the moment. Working on the core aspects first, and giving developers more time to polish up there add-on's for Xenforo 2.

Upvote 0

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Writing a pm seemed exceptionally laggy for whatever reason. That's way down the list I'd imagine. My statement still stands the site layout on mobile is 11/10. Everything is pretty damn nice and I haven't seen any other major issues.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Writing a pm seemed exceptionally laggy for whatever reason. That's way down the list I'd imagine. My statement still stands the site layout on mobile is 11/10. Everything is pretty damn nice and I haven't seen any other major issues.

Haven't experienced that on my end as of yet though!

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When I write a post in the quick reply, it says "a server error occurred" but it does post it, because refreshing the page shows it. It is resulting in dupe posts however because people are trying again (I did too) not realizing it is actually posting.

Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I just experienced the same thing twice, but due to seeing your post above, I didn't double post.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I got the same problem. Every time I try to reply to a post, I get a server error but if I refresh the screen, the post(s) went through. This is why we're getting duplicates. Does the same on computer and mobile.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
These problems may have been related to a server issue which was resolved about 45 minutes ago. Is anyone STILL seeing this problem?

Upvote 0

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
@Jman423 Diggin' the wintery snow affects :tiphat:

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1