Transmission Cooler

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Hello all...I hear somewhere on the site that everyone recommends a Auxiliary Transmission Cooler. Does the factory Trans Cooler built into the Radiator not provide enough cooling of the fluid?...what is the benefit of a external/auxiliary Trans Cooler?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
That really depends on what your plans are for your TB. The factory cooler does fine without a large load. If you go to oversized tires and a lift you will likely need an added cooler. If you are hauling fairly heavy loads you will want one as well.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Or you're like me and realize sitting in traffic your temps rise to 230 and decide a little extra protection wouldn't hurt. Adding it shouldn't hurt. I did it because I haul the boat enough to use it. And it won't hurt. Then again I also added an external filter...

Reactions: RTTBLT1

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
That really depends on what your plans are for your TB. The factory cooler does fine without a large load. If you go to oversized tires and a lift you will likely need an added cooler. If you are hauling fairly heavy loads you will want one as well.

Ok, i see. We are going to get a med-large Pop-up Camper so around that time I will pick up a Heyden Auxiliary Trans Cooler.

Or you're like me and realize sitting in traffic your temps rise to 230 and decide a little extra protection wouldn't hurt. Adding it shouldn't hurt. I did it because I haul the boat enough to use it. And it won't hurt. Then again I also added an external filter...

We don't sit in traffic much so no worries there but do plan to do a little towing in the near future. So I will pick up one before we purchase a Pop-up Camper.

Thank you djthumper and littleblazer for the input.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Lotta guys say put one in for the extra insurance. Gotta think that with the stock cooler, your trans Temps will never get below 190f or so due to it being cooled by, well, a hot fluid (coolant). I don't like that myself and many others don't either.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Lotta guys say put one in for the extra insurance. Gotta think that with the stock cooler, your trans Temps will never get below 190f or so due to it being cooled by, well, a hot fluid (coolant). I don't like that myself and many others don't either.

Ok, just didn't know if a Auxiliary one would throw off the Trans Line Pressure or not so figured I would make a thread and get some input. I figured with the Tow Packages you don't have to worry but i see where you guys are going...the Cooler the running Trans=Longer the Life/Service. Thanks for the info Mounce

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Ok, just didn't know if a Auxiliary one would throw off the Trans Line Pressure or not so figured I would make a thread and get some input. I figured with the Tow Packages you don't have to worry but i see where you guys are going...the Cooler the running Trans=Longer the Life/Service. Thanks for the info Mounce
The return side is mostly free flowing, don't need to worry that much about pressure. GM wouldn't have added them to tahoes and such with towing packages. (They use a similar 4l60E as well)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All automatic vehicles I get, I put a cooler on it. Heat is the enemy of transmissions and keeping it cool will extend its life to the point it may even outlive the vehicle. Well worth it, whether it's a trailer haulin' truck or a grocery getter.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I'm reading this and I'm thinking that I'll probably buy and install one in another month or so. I know that the upcoming hot Florida summer definitely is not good for the trans, towing or not. I was looking into one with it's own electric fan last month, but I seriously do not think I'll need to go that route for the type of driving that I normally do. Undecided...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The stock cooler is marginal at best. Good choice! :2thumbsup:

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I think I will go ahead and purchase one, seen a Hayden on Amazon for around $60-65...Cheap price for the extra insurance. Thanks to everyone for the info. :2thumbsup:

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I suggest the ridged plate design is a better quality unit that some of those cheaper ones that zip-tie through the rad. I don't think you will regret installing one.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Doesn't GM have any OEM extra trans cooler for our TB? Like plug n play so we don't have to use hoses with universal hose clamps?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Haven't seen any. Only on full size trucks.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Haven't seen any. Only on full size trucks.
Connections not the same from full size trucks to our TB?? If so maybe we´could use a full size trucks cooler, just modify the brackets?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They're actual add on with hard lines specific to the vehicle. I'd just go with an aftermarket plate type, not a tube and fin.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I dont tow but Im going to install one soon as insurance on my transmission.

From some of installs I have read I notice that they are installing it in front of the A/C radiator, requiring the hoses to snake around the radiator to the engine side where the fittings into the radiator reside.

Is there a way to install the cooler on the back side, between the engine and the radiator or is there some suitable location besides the front ?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I dont tow but Im going to install one soon as insurance on my transmission.

From some of installs I have read I notice that they are installing it in front of the A/C radiator, requiring the hoses to snake around the radiator to the engine side where the fittings into the radiator reside.

Is there a way to install the cooler on the back side, between the engine and the radiator or is there some suitable location besides the front ?
You want it in front of everything because it'll get fresh air, if it's behind the radiator it's in the fan shroud getting warm air from the radiator and condenser. Also behind everything airflow would be greatly reduced. As far as the hoses go you just snake up in from the bumper. No real hassle.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Thanks, Im scoping out the right cooler now.
Has anyone installed an actual transmission temperature gauge ?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012

The radiator fan (on the inside) will be in the way.

I really do not want to install a trans cooler in front of the a/c condenser & Radiator, so that's why I was thinking of installing one with an electric fan and maybe finding a different location for it. Not sure what location would be best for a solid mount which also allows for proper airflow. So far, the only reasonable spot that I can think of is the front of the rad/condenser but I'll get under there to see what else I can think of.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Well if you find a spot where the cooler fits laying instead of standing, you could put a small electric fan on to help the airflow.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only real advantage of taking it out of in front of the A/C condenser is not having warm air hitting the condenser but our fans pull a lot of air and doesn't really affect it much.

Dec 4, 2011
attachment.php

Just thought you may like to see an install in front of the ac condenser.

By the way this is Tru-cool model 4589. These are low pressure drops (i noticed you were querying this in previous post) and they have a temperature compensation so that if the oil gets to cool it bypasses the cooler ( i run mine all winter down to -40 F)

Fully recommend a cooler (towing or not) as others have mentioned. Hope this helps

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Wow, the Tru cool 4589 is much bigger than the units I was looking at and that temperature bypass feature sounds great.

Dec 4, 2011
I have used tranny coolers for about 40 years and tried more than one brand. I have been totally impressed with the Tru-Cool unit. Here is the link to their site and no I am not on their payroll LOL. Site gives dimensions and performance levels.

PS i don't think you can go to big and with the temp bypass over-cooling will not be an issue

http://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-lpd

Reactions: Mooseman
Dec 4, 2011
heatchrt.jpg

This will give you an idea why I think a tranny cooler is (and should be) a standard piece of equipment on any vehicle. The rad cooler works to a degree but severe conditions require additional cooling before disaster strikes.

Reactions: Mooseman

swede

Jun 22, 2014
In my previous Volvo V70R with about 350 hp I installed a OEM extra tranny cooler and a temp gauge. You be suprised how quick the tranny temp rises at any WOT runs between traffic lights even without any trailer.
DSC00742.JPG

Small cooler but OEM factory

bredband1.JPG

Wide band
Boost
Trans oil temp

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Great info everyone. Keep it coming, I'm still keeping up with all the input. I forgot to ask...

1. Do I use the Auxiliary Cooler and the factory Radiator Cooler in conjunction with each other?...or only one or the other?
2. Do I need to purchase additional Line/Hose to modify the Cooler Lines/Hoses?

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Great info everyone. Keep it coming, I'm still keeping up with all the input. I forgot to ask...

1. Do I use the Auxiliary Cooler and the factory Radiator Cooler in conjunction with each other?...or only one or the other?
2. Do I need to purchase additional Line/Hose to modify the Cooler Lines/Hoses?
I would use both, let the fluid go trough the OEM first and then the extra one

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As far as how to hook up the add-on line to the stock line, some use adapters, most just cut the line coming out of the radiator cooler and slip the rubber line over the cut ends. Double clamp the hoses just to be sure it doesn't leak or slip off under high pressure in very cold temps.

Once when it was -30c leaving for work one early morning, the hose got pushed off the cut line by the thickened tranny fluid and drained all the fluid. Made for a very cold impromptu fluid change and repair.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
As far as how to hook up the add-on line to the stock line, some use adapters, most just cut the line coming out of the radiator cooler and slip the rubber line over the cut ends. Double clamp the hoses just to be sure it doesn't leak or slip off under high pressure in very cold temps.

Once when it was -30c leaving for work one early morning, the hose got pushed off the cut line by the thickened tranny fluid and drained all the fluid. Made for a very cold impromptu fluid change and repair.

Thanks for that info. Lol, let me guess...you found yourself limping the truck home to find you were 5 QT or more of Trans Fluid low thanks to the mentioned hoses/clamps?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope, she was dead where it stopped. Had to wait for the wife to get me. She managed to go the wrong way so made for a very long wait. Good thing I was well dressed.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Oh no, that bites. But at least it didn't make anything fail internally in the Trans from being low, right?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Doesn't look like it. Didn't have a chance to slip for very long it emptied out so fast.

Dec 4, 2011

Thanks for that info. Lol, let me guess...you found yourself limping the truck home to find you were 5 QT or more of Trans Fluid low thanks to the mentioned hoses/clamps?

If you are worried about leaking with the hose over the tube and hose clamp arrangement you can always find fittings that have a compression fitting on the pipe end and then put a hose fitting (on the cooler end) and then just screw them together. Of course this means female on one end and male on the other.

The clamps will not necessarily leak but they do sweat. By the way the coolers will come with enough hose to get to where you need to connect to the tranny lines. And i agree with whomever said to the rad cooler first then to the aux cooler then back to the tranny. That is why mine is on the drivers side, the connections are on that side of the lower tank on the radiator.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Another option is to use a flare fitting. This requires a flaring tool and some patience. Flaring these tubes can be a little tricky as it is a seamed tube and not getting a good flare can cause a leak along the seam. I had one that I had to redo.

If you search on the net you will find some discussions on cooler orientation. There are lots of people who have installed them in various orientations with success - the most common school of thought however seems to be installing with the fittings pointing up, or at least to the side with the outlet at the top to mitigate trapped air in the cooler. How big of an issue this is can be debatable. I have done side and up without issue. I did them pointing up on my Envoy because a found a way to route the hoses that was not hard, just required some longer lengths of hose than you might find in some kits. I routed the hoses along the top inside of the upper rad support toward the drivers side headlight then down toward the bottom of the rad. I also wrapped the hoses with the plastic wire loom split tubing to protect against abrasion.IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4600_low.JPG

swede

Jun 22, 2014
And if you don't want to use hose clamps you can use AN fittings like I did on my Syclone with an extra oilfiltertr17.JPG tr18.JPG tr19.JPG tr20.JPG tr21.JPG tr22.JPG .

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Doesn't look like it. Didn't have a chance to slip for very long it emptied out so fast.

Well that bites that happened but at least all you needed was to refill an go and nothing got permanently damage. That could be considered the upside of that day.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Wasn't there a company that used to sell trans cooler kits for our trucks that included fittings and so on ?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Wasn't there a company that used to sell trans cooler kits for our trucks that included fittings and so on ?
PCM of NC has a kit I believe.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online