transmission acting up

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
My daughters transmission seems to be acting up recently 235,000 miles original.

I am wondering if the torque converter is messing up or maybe module that locks it up.
what is happening, is you will be driving normal calm down the road, it will drop out of OD fish for like 2 seconds go back in OD. and be fine for awhile. It doesnt do it all the time, but daily now it seems.
Around 6 months ago it started doing this and a garage replaced the tranny lines which were leaking. It was fine all the time after that now acting up again. shop rechecked everything and its not leaking fluid is normal. shop said no codes were stored.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At that mileage, I'd get the tranny checked by a tranny shop. How'd the fluid look like?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
At that mileage, I'd get the tranny checked by a tranny shop. How'd the fluid look like?

not sure. I think they may have changed the fluid when they replaced the the lines that go to the radiator area.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I think the torque converter is disengaging.
Don't know if its a bad module or whats going on.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
At that mileage it could just be worn out and the mudules and electronics are fine. Was it serviced regularly? Ever get hot at all?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
nah, I neglect all my transmissions. but from what I know from a friend that has rebuilt them etc, the torque converter is told to lock up by a module which is controlled by the pcm telling it at what speed to lock up.
So that process is all electrical. So I am doubting worn parts as the transmission isn't slipping. or shall I say does not appear to be slipping. It is more like it unlocks the torque converter, then locks it then unlocks it then locks it. there is no floating revs whiles this happens like a slipping transmission would do. but I am no transmission expert and what I am observing could be mechanical failure also.
My daughter is not remotely car literate, I told her to drop it a gear below when it happens to see if acts normal in that gear but that made no sense to her lol.
I guess the torque converter can be failing?
It just does it for a few seconds as far as I know. I drove it around and it did it once, unlock, lock like 5 times then stayed locked.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Will it lock/unlock in 3rd as well? Or does it stay locked in better in 3rd?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I'll have to try and see that. that was what I wanted to ask. is 3rd still using the torque converter? I don't drive the envoy so I have some clueless questions.
I've worked on every single part of this car, just need it to last a few more months.
It is an odd thing I totally forgot I just replaced a rear rotor and brakes last weekend and drove this around for 15-20 minutes to burn in the the pads and it didnt do it at all.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like TCC lockup slip. Maybe what my 98 Camaro's 4L60E did (same transmission). Does it seem to do it only when warmed up, but before that (or in cooler weather) it is OK?

There's a kit out there designed to take care of this problem, if this is indeed what is going on. Fixed my transmission.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
interesting question. I'll have to ask her.
We took it for a ride one night after she got home from work, 20 minutes to walmart it was completely fine. left walmart and it did it the first time we hit 45mph which I assume the TC locks up at over 40+ when light on the pedal. pulled over and I drove it, after a bit it did it again. It may have done it once more after that but I cant remember.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
The TCC solenoid may be worn, so as it gets moved back and forth fluid can slip past it and screw up pressures inside the valve body. Mine would periodically hunt when I was in or going in to OD, which kind of sounds like what you're describing. In some cases the bore that the solenoid shaft sits in wears. In other cases some of the ball check valve seats wear. Either of those conditions can create erratic pressure.

I ended up getting a rebuilt valve body with metal accumulator valves and a modified TCC solenoid to give it more positive lockup...oh...and a new, slightly thicker separator plate so the check balls won't wear in to it as easily. No more
hunting! I'm only at 112K miles or so. Hope mine holds up as long as your daughters has!

Replacing the valve body was a bit annoying, but not terrible.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That is what was happening to my 98, and that kit I mentioned fixed it.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
The TCC solenoid may be worn, so as it gets moved back and forth fluid can slip past it and screw up pressures inside the valve body. Mine would periodically hunt when I was in or going in to OD, which kind of sounds like what you're describing. In some cases the bore that the solenoid shaft sits in wears. In other cases some of the ball check valve seats wear. Either of those conditions can create erratic pressure.

I ended up getting a rebuilt valve body with metal accumulator valves and a modified TCC solenoid to give it more positive lockup...oh...and a new, slightly thicker separator plate so the check balls won't wear in to it as easily. No more
hunting! I'm only at 112K miles or so. Hope mine holds up as long as your daughters has!

Replacing the valve body was a bit annoying, but not terrible.

Good Luck!

Chris

that all requires pulling the tranny right?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
well... tha all went south quick lol...
The transmission is now slipping in top gear and 3rd.
She was planning to get a new"old" car anytime soon so this just escalated that.
I'm not gunna waste more time on this car.
240k miles paid around $6k for it, lasted 8 years it's tried to commit suicide so many times over those years but I revived it every time. I really don't want to get rid of it but I have no room for it. and have a Q7 now. so don't even care for it as a beater.
The interior is so trashed from her, has a dent in the passenger rear door, hole in the passenger rear bumper. spare tire assembly is rusting off. car isn't worth more than $500.
I can part it out and make over $1000 in parts. the flexalite 292 twin fan assembly I can get a ton of dough for. the spyder headlights I did myself, the old head lights. extra set of tail lights. the no cel module for missing clutch fan when upgrading to electric fans. bunch of other stuff. front bumper I can pull off and sell.
blah

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm interested in the 292 and the module. PM me if you want to sell them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just a tip for the PCM, be sure it's for the same gearing or your speedo will be off (trust me).

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
OK! now she is contemplating getting the tranny fixed instead since we know the engine is pretty much stable for this amount of miles and although burns oil its normal. It's crazy this car has put me through hell but its really easy to work on and WTF... I replaced the fuel pump 2 years ago thinking it was bad and instead it was a crimped wire between the body and frame so that is good for another 200k miles...
I just took it for a test drive... driving along 40mpg you punch it enough to where it should downshift instead it just slips, I drop it to 3rd it goes... leave it in 3rd punch it to downshift levels is slips... I drop it to 2nd it goes... so maybe this isn't as bad as it seems? how much to rebuild this tranny? I'm not gunna do it even though my friend has a lift... lol

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
if I were to buy a torque converter from rock auto which is correct high stall or low stall? I am guessing low stall?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok not going to junk it.
aamco is going to rebuild it and change out transfer case fluids for $2800 with 3 year 50,000 warranty
So the fun will continue for a few more years lol.
Rack in pinion has been slow leaking at the wheels for a long time now, I refilled it a year ago and I think I checked it a few months ago and it was fine.
That is the only difficult repair I foresee. I can probably do that on my friends lift a lot easier.
Still need to repair the spare tire area. water pump and alternator are both newish. no clutch fans... both front wheel bearings are under 2 years old. replaced rear control arms last year. cat converter is 4 years old. waterpump 2 years old. left front axle is 2 months old. my fault for not packing enough grease in when the boot fell apart.
fun fun...

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
When I was considering a full trans replacement before finding out more about the valve body, I recall a stall speed of about 2500, but hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in.

The valve body kit that Sparky mentions did not require dropping the trans, at least not for me, but I did not put in the Corvette servo.

What does the fluid look like in your daughter's truck? If it's looking really cooked now, a full rebuild would be the best bet. If it still looks OK and you don't see a lot of metal in the pan, you might salvage things with the valve body swap.

Lucky you with a friend who has a lift! :smile: I did the valve body swap in my driveway.

Cheers-

Chris

EDIT: Ah...OK...nevermind...just saw your update. Hope she gets a lot more miles out of the truck!

CH

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Well the fluid was changed out 6 months ago. I did look at it last nite to see if it was low, as 6 months ago it was leaking. I thought I noted it was dark. but I cant remember.
My friend has a 2000 corvette maybe ill swap transmissions? lol he just had his rebuilt a few months ago. but we took it out of the car and took it to the shop.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
2wd should work. 4x4 you'd have to swap output shafts and tail unless the Vette was 4x4 :tongue:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bellhousing could be different though, along with input shafts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
But bellhousings should be swappable. And torque converter is probably different

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I was kidding about the vette! lol
it's in his vette and we drive around!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just in case :biggrin:

murdog

May 20, 2016
Duluth MN
Sounds like you lost the sunshell and it kinda spiraled from there. As long as they use the "updated" sunshell and put in quality parts that thing should be good for another 235K miles. Though from how it sounds like your daughter treats it, it may not make it that long lol. Either way $2800 isnt horrible for a rebuild.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
she treats it pretty well she has put the last 140,000 or more miles on it herself.
the transmission dude told me the cooler was nearly 100% clogged he couldnt flush it. so apparently that is what was going on, the tranny overheating.
What is interesting though 7 months ago a different place placed serviced it and found the tranny lines leaking so they replaced them with warranty. she took it back to them TWICE a week before it was toast. neither time did they notice it was over heating and said everything was fine. so either they are just plain dumb or they rigged it to clog.
either way it was still under warranty and my daughter is going to demand they reimburse her for the transmission frying.
I didnt like that garage at all anyway, as the first time she took it there to be looked at I asked them to replace the left axle and supplied one, because a year ago Its boot came loose and I didnt pack it with enough grease so it was howling now. I figured while they have it up replace the axle as I was too busy.
so they go check it out call me and tell me the left hub is bad too. so I asked what the costs are to replace it and the dude quotes me Part and LABOR.
So I was like dude, you are replacing the axle why are you charging me labor to take off the hub... "Oh ok I wont charge you labor on that"
like gee thanks for not double charging me, you are so honest.

murdog

May 20, 2016
Duluth MN
I was more talking about the interior as you said trashed... I have no doubt she takes care of it as most vehicles wont make it that long. As to the shop, pretty sure the cooler was plugged but they were too stupid to know it, and no surprise on trying to double charge, hence why I do my best to do all of my own work. But like you on occasion am too busy and hand it off to a shop that I trust (I finally found ONE! lol)

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Oh yeah the interior! lol... I forget things I say im busy with too many cars right now! working on my crown vic and Q7.
Yeah the interior is just disgusting, every liquid has spilled in there. Lift the seat to change the fuse and french fries, cookies etc etc all dance around. 5 year old drops it all... but all that in the front too from the driver doing the same! lol.
If I outright tell the dude I had the axle off to fix the boot and didn't put enough grease in it and didnt care to take it off again because they are only $65. and then tell him I replace both hubs on this truck, along with some other work, you would think it would click in his head that I know quite a bit about how things work and not to try and double charge for labor.
The owner of Aamco who rebuilt the transmission now that dude I trust. I told him everything I did, all the things I replaced etc etc. he didnt try to push anything and we talked about his vehicles with 200k+ miles. He gave me good parts prices etc. I told him some things that are on their way out and said if I don't feel like doing them, I'de bring it back.
I never like anyone touching my cars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fred2910

Members Online