Tips for visiting Chicago?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
My wife and my son ad I went to a cubs game in chicago last sept and it was fun. We rode the train from waterloo In. To chicago. Didn't get to do all that much since after the game we had to catch the train for the ride home, but the best part was the train. Oh and cubs won. Hehe

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Well have a good time. I hope the weather warms up for yall.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Weather really isn't too bad at the moment. Currently in the 30's but we've just recently had it in the 40's and 50's too....these temps are really up there for Feb..!! The wind and lake effect will make downtown seem colder than the burbs.

Just walking around downtown Chicago is pretty cool, so many little streets and to explore with smaller restaurants, shops and bars. Plenty of Lloyd-Wright architecture around the area if that's your thing. Art Musuem is cool is you like art. Field Musuem is cool regardless of what you like....the complete U-boat there is just amazing.

A drive up Lake Shore drive is nice, and a good way to see some of the cool little cities just north of Chicago.

JosueLT

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Haha, the auto show would be hilarious!

And we've been checking the weather, doesn't look too bad! It's been around the same temperature here, so we're used to it. Just might not be walking around outside too too much. lol

JosueLT

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Figured I'd update everyone on how our trip went.

LOVED IT!!!! We had an awesome time, and look forward to going back in warmer weather. The cold wasn't too too bad, and we still did a shit-ton of walking. Took cabs here and there, but the train to get to and from Midway, how convenient!!! Wish I could get to the airport and back here for $2.25 and leave my car at home! lol

Saturday - got to the hotel around 2, unpacked, then hit up Ed Debevic's...hilarious. Our waiter came by on his way to another table and was like..."Yea, I'm your waiter, get excited about it". When my wife's burger came out, she asked for a knife. He grabbed one off another table and stabbed her burger right in the middle of it! hahaha Took a cab to Water Tower Place, impressive mall! Only store we went into was Candyality for some gummies and chocolate covered smores. Also stopped by the front desk there to pick up our Go Chicago Card. $175 for the both of us, and we had access to 27 attractions! Most of them had "front of the line" access, so no waiting! WELL worth it IMO.

Sunday killed us. After breakfast, took a cab to the Shedd Aquarium and spent a few hours there. Then walked over to the Field Museum for a few more hours. We didn't even see the whole museum...holy SHIT was that place HUGE!!! We just saw what we wanted to see and left. So, driving past the Bean in the cab, I'm like..."Well, that's not too far?" We wanted to see that next, but I didn't think it was far enough to merit a $10 cab ride (what we spent on every cab ride we took) so we walked it. BIG mistake!! It was a LOT farther than expected. hahaha But ah well, that's life. The bean was pretty awesome, got some cool shots there. Then we walked over to Sears Tower, followed by a cab ride to Portillo's. Chicago Dog's FTW!!! My wife got pissed at me because I wouldn't give her a bite of it. lol I'm like...."WTF!!! I'M the Chicago Dog lover here, we're IN Chicago, and you want me to give you MY FIRST BITE of an authentic Chicago Dog??" (I hadn't even bitten into it yet) Do you WANT me to go home without you???? :hissyfit: Naptime at the hotel after that, then Giordano's for some Pizza later in the night. I couldn't even mess with that stuff...DAMN it was filling! Since we didn't have a fridge in the room, we gave our leftovers to a bum. lol

Monday started off with the Herbie Hancock Observatory. I actually liked that one better than Sears Tower! Then another $10 cab ride to Navy Pier...froze our ass off there! haha We just walked to the end outside, and went inside for the walk back, so it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Cab ride to a Verizon Store so they could check out my wife's phone that was acting up, then a short walk across the street to the Marilyn Monroe statue for some fun (tee HE!), and since we were right there, stopped by the Billy Goat Tavern for a Cheezborger!!! Amazing! Naptime again, then Portillo's for dinner...2 Chicago Dogs, an Italian Beef, and Hot Fudge Sunday...had to do it right on our last night! haha And that place was our favorite.

Train back to Midway, and home on Tuesday. :frown: Thanks again to everyone for the input and suggestions!!

Oh, and Garret's Popcorn was ridiculous!! Definitely going to order that stuff online for home delivery!! haha

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Awesome. Sounds like a damn good time!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
glad you guys have fun...

the dogs were driving dad nuts!!!! :crackup:.. of course, i played a roll in that for sunday dinner :yes:.. love those lil guys!!

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
JosueLT said:
and look forward to going back in warmer weather.
Attractions like the Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier are much better visited after the spring thaw. In the summer, you may even be able to catch a 'classic American' Wrigley Field Cub's game. Lots of great shopping and cuisine up near the ball park.

JosueLT said:
Then walked over to the Field Museum for a few more hours. We didn't even see the whole museum...holy SHIT was that place HUGE!!!
Granted, Chicago's Field Museum is big, as I've walked the exhibits a handful of times. But nothing in comparison to the Louvre in Paris. You can spend an entire work week inside and still not see all the major pieces. Glad to see you had a good time. :thumbsup:

JosueLT

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I can imagine the crowds will be more of a factor in warmer weather. It wasn't bad in the cold...

Forgot to mention, we also did a half hour horse drawn carriage ride on Saturday night. Didn't see much because they had the canopy's up because it was so cold out, but it was nice to check it off our Chicago bucket list. lol

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Things to do in Chicago??

Hmm... Drop a bomb, uhm... Run away.... Go somewhere else?

Sorry, dont me to be a negative nancy.. Just Chicago is my #1 hated area of this country. Followed by DFW.

Heading north into Wisonsin and most of Wisconsin, is a beautiful country thou!

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
JosueLT said:
It wasn't bad in the cold...

Glad you had a great trip.

The funny thing is that (by Chicago standards) it hasn't been cold much this winter. In a period where we regularly see temps in the single digits and treens, we have been having temps in the 40's and 50's. Positively tropical (by comparison), really..!!

jayd1563

Nov 18, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Things to do in Chicago??

Hmm... Drop a bomb, uhm... Run away.... Go somewhere else?

Sorry, dont me to be a negative nancy.. Just Chicago is my #1 hated area of this country. Followed by DFW.

Heading north into Wisonsin and most of Wisconsin, is a beautiful country thou!
kind of agree..I do like the city as for things to see/do,chicago has a ton to do...BUT The traffic makes me want to slit my own throat!!!,,you cant even get close to the city without it being a gridlock...Ive been to NYC,Atlanta,and LA,,for some reason Chicago traffic is horrible all the time.

JosueLT

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Good thing there's the L train to avoid all that traffic...and cheaper too! :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online