The Worst Appearance Mods

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
What is the worst appearance mod you've seen on not only our own GM platforms but any vehicle out there? Let us know and post a picture if you can.

I'm going to start it off and it doesn't even deserve a picture...

TRUCKNUTZ

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
The worst vehicle appearance mods, I can think of, all include the following. Contains double-sided tape and chrome over plastic. Non-functioning air vents/scoops. Exhaust tips I can shove a softball into. Chrome letters & #'s, that aren't put on straight. Just a few. I have the "chrome" letters, but they are straight, and just say 4x4.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:coffee:

Something JimmyJam and I saw on the highway a couple years back. :hopeless:

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

This one I saw when visiting the aquarium. :no:

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Best one I ever saw....... 95ish Geo Metro with homemade brushgaurd (well sortof) made of 1/2" rebar 3feet tall and 6 foot wide. :rotfl: Man I wish I had a pic:mad:

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Boy, can I have fun with this one. Here's some thoughts.

1. Audi-style headlight LED's in cars that CLEARLY didn't have them from the factory.
2. Any chrome tchotchke that you get in AutoZone.
3. Most aftermarket headlights and taillights. (Most)
4. Any HID color over 6000K.
5. Any attempt at mis-badging. Clones this means you.
6. Flat-black rattle can paint jobs. Also, 'Primer' is not a color.
7. ^^^^ x2 on the Trucknutz.
8. Through-the-bed chrome stacks on trucks. You're gay.
9. Big spoilers/wings on FWD cars.
10. Light window tint. Go dark or leave it.
11. That stupid ass LED strip that goes under the tailgate on trucks. Also, light-up hitch plugs.
12. Unless your car is a GrandSport Vette or a few newer Dodge cars, you aren't allowed to have two stripes on your fender. This is law.
13. Any all-chromed rim made before 2008-ish.
14. Bugshields and car bras. All of em.
15. Obama 2008/2012 stickers.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
This paint job!!! The pics doesn't even come close to how bad the color really is.

0227121826.jpg

0227121826a.jpg

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
groundshock said:
About half of the things on your list are things are things that many members here have at least one of. :frown:

Reactions: bmcutright

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Groundshock,

I agree with most of your list except for the LED strips. Anything to help wake up that idiot on the cell phone in back of you and let them know you're stopping is a good thing in my book, besides I like the look (putting my asbestos underwear on now :smile:).

And the 2005 Voy came with the factory 6 spoke chrome rims and the SIlverado has a bug shield. :eek:

(BTW just read your list to my wife, she snickered at most of them.)

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
About half of the things on your list are things are things that many members here have at least one of. :frown:

:iagree: I have

groundshock said:
11. That stupid ass LED strip that goes under the tailgate on trucks. Also, light-up hitch plugs.

If rims count for the paint

groundshock said:

And dedending on what you call dark, I have 35% on my front doors.

groundshock said:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
groundshock said:
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :smile:

I don't have a problem, my mods work well with my truck. I don't like the turn signals on the tailgate light bars, so I used a "cheap" LED strip and wired it to my brake lights.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
groundshock said:

I'll agree with some of that...

the thing that stands out to me though, is the window tint comment... each state has its own legal limit as to how light or dark you can go... here in Ohio, it's 50%.. now is my SS tinted that light? sure isnt.. but have i gotten a ticket for breaking the law for tint, sure have... will i change it, sure wont...

now back on topic... as some have said.. any stick on lund hood scoops, range rover style fender vents, or the 3 bullet tear drops or whatever you wanna call them... and pretty much any "Donk" vehicle...

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
About painting....I painted my wheels, Better than running wheels that are full of corrosion

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
My wheels are painted too - just not with the cheapest flat black from WalMart and sprayed spotty as hell....

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
groundshock said:
My wheels are painted too - just not with the cheapest flat black from WalMart and sprayed spotty as hell....

I used $1 a can flat black from Lowe's, but I did proper prep and my wheels are not spotty. My paint job with $1 a can paint looks better and has held up better than others that used $7-8 a can wheel paint.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Honda's, in General.
Toyota's, in General.
Demolded GMT's (sorry guys, I like the moldings)
Camo stickers/Vent Shades/or other areas.
Portholes on anything but a Buick
6 Portholes on a Buick that is clearly an I4
8 portholes on a Buick that is clearly an I6/V6
The Deisel boys stickers (I rather be cummin than stroken, or whatever)
"Its a Jeep thing, You wouldnt understand" stickers
Religous stickers
ProLife stickers
Calvin and Hobbes stickers
Anything Donk
Raised and lifted trucks with big tires... Only to find out there 2 wheel drive.

Reactions: bmcutright

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
BO TIE SS said:

Some of us just have better taste than the rest.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Underglow I'm not to hot on.
Aftermarket spoilers on cars that can't push enough air for it to make a difference.
Nuts hanging off the back ( ill kill ya)
Overly large rims on any car
Stick on. Never
Convertibles

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
PnP kits with 6k and up...$&#%@&$%I want to take a bat to every one of them! especially the lifted pickups around here the *cool kids* are driving :confused:

the BMW, Mercedez, etc etc etc pulling out of the high school parking lot, that ISN'T mommy or daddy's...must be nice

all the chrome 22" and up stickers, as mentioned before-applied any way but straight, ESPECIALLY on cars with stock rims :rotfl:

cars with rims that costed more than the car itself

Altezza, and the like.......should be all I need to say! If you have them, and like them, that's all that matters...BUT the import scene is what I grew up around, and I got more than my fair share of overly-chromed tail lights :frown: just can't do it anymore

pickup trucks with Salt Life, Duck Life, Country Boy, etc etc etc on the back window...if you live in the city, have never stripped and cleaned a firearm just because, or can't back a trailor down a boat ramp...you don't have a license to ride around with these decals kthxbye

purple, bubbly, window "tint" :lipsrsealed: Oh Em Gee...window tinting is NOT DIFFICULT!!! if you're going to do it yourself, rather than pay someone to do it, at least do a bit of research about HOW to do it!

Political bumper stickers :mad: do you put them there to get me mad at stop lights?

could go on and on...especially around here

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
NinjuhhNutz said:
cars with rims that costed more than the car itself

pickup trucks with Salt Life, Duck Life, Country Boy, etc etc etc on the back window...if you live in the city, have never stripped and cleaned a firearm just because, or can't back a trailor down a boat ramp...you don't have a license to ride around with these decals kthxbye

I agree with all of this. Saw a lot of cars on my road-trip last weekend with rims worth way more than the car itself. I especially hate vans with giant chrome rims. I also do not like when city folk pretend to be country.

groundshock said:

1. Audi-style headlight LED's in cars that CLEARLY didn't have them from the factory.
2. Any chrome tchotchke that you get in AutoZone.
4. Any HID color over 6000K.
5. Any attempt at mis-badging. Clones this means you.

7. ^^^^ x2 on the Trucknutz.
8. Through-the-bed chrome stacks on trucks. You're gay.
9. Big spoilers/wings on FWD cars.

12. Unless your car is a GrandSport Vette or a few newer Dodge cars, you aren't allowed to have two stripes on your fender. This is law.
13. Any all-chromed rim made before 2008-ish.
15. Obama 2008/2012 stickers.

I do agree with most of what you said so I bolded what I agree with. I do have a bug shield though, it may have a bad appearance but I believe it to be functional.

NewfieEnvoy said:
A V6 sticker on an I6, :-(

^^^this pisses me off^^^ I saw one the other day. I wanted to inform them that their engine is not a v6 but then I didn't:hissyfit:

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Short Bus said:
I fixed it for you Conner299

Its got a giant pimple under the grill! :biggrin:

On the way to work, passed a well kept white dually pickup with pink/purple HIDs. I couldn't get a picture since I was trying hard not to yak.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
View attachment 32871

Saw this on my old street about 6 to 9 months ago. Stopped, looked twice, got the phone out and the owner thinks I'm up to no good. I said I liked his car. He was ready to pose with it.:rotfl:

Attachments

• gt.jpg
    gt.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 90

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
mcsteven said:
Saw this on my old street about 6 to 9 months ago. Stopped, looked twice, got the phone out and the owner thinks I'm up to no good. I said I liked his car. He was ready to pose with it.:rotfl:

To some, that is a challenge. Give it enough time, and resources people will do strange things. So far I have seen an LS civic, an old (80's) Toyota Nova with a 3sgte, and my favorite was the metro with the 5.0.

If I can get on base before the guy leaves there is a Type R Corvette with a huge rally wing, massive air defusers and the ugliest of front bumpers.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
If I can get on base before the guy leaves there is a Type R Corvette with a huge rally wing, massive air defusers and the ugliest of front bumpers.

Please do and take :pictures: !

:book:

:whistle:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
This thread's right up my alley.

Case A: Geo Metro
Mod(s)
Decal saying SWEET RIDE over the top of the windshield. Not sure if they're being serious or sarcastic. If it's sarcasm, it's played in a font a little too large to be super funny.

Case B: Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition
Mod(s)
Went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up one of their little stick-on badge-style letters. In particular, the letter "Y." Added it to one of the words in the vehicle's name up there, I'll give you one guess which word. It was actually fairly chuckle-worthy, but since the font and size of the letter didn't match the rest by a very noticeable margin, -points. Not exactly a WORST mod, but it could also be offensive to some, if you think about it.

Case C: Honda Civic
Mod(s)
Ran a racing stripe up the roof, along the top, and down the back. Made out of duct tape.

Case D: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
Mod(s)
Had Z71 decals (with a hefty dose of hunting camouflage for the fill color of the lettering) placed toward the back of the pinstripe on the rear quarter panels. We all know Z71 was not an option for this platform, and even then wouldn't come displayed in Team Realtree. It's almost as bad as adding SS badges.

Case E: Late 90s Ford Mustang
Mod(s)
Had a little decal on the rear quarter window that was a deer. Must be a hunting nut. But directly below this deer the decal read "mustang." My mind was nearly blown with what the owner might have been trying to imply about the proper name for a male deer.

It's hard to get photos. Some of these things I saw a while ago anyway. But I do remember this stuff, that's for sure. I can probably remember more if I stew over it a bit.

Oh, and have a couple from the Internet:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio

Attachments

• 4617355312a2fc8f09dco.jpg
    4617355312a2fc8f09dco.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 4617355862_2f8312a39e.jpg
    4617355862_2f8312a39e.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 82
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374084011214.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374084011214.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 84
  • ja3e4ysy.jpg
    ja3e4ysy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 81

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Case D: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
Mod(s)
Had Z71 decals (with a hefty dose of hunting camouflage for the fill color of the lettering) placed toward the back of the pinstripe on the rear quarter panels. We all know Z71 was not an option for this platform, and even then wouldn't come displayed in Team Realtree. It's almost as bad as adding SS badges.

I am actually okay with this one (minus the real tree crap). The Trailblazer should have had a Z71 package, and members who add the Tahoe springs are pretty close to what the Z71 package is anyways. On the Avy Z71 is just a 2LT with the upgraded suspension, bigger wheels and the emblems.

The realtree would have to go though, I see trucks around here without and think "faux redneck"

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
I am actually okay with this one (minus the real tree crap). The Trailblazer should have had a Z71 package, and members who add the Tahoe springs are pretty close to what the Z71 package is anyways. On the Avy Z71 is just a 2LT with the upgraded suspension, bigger wheels and the emblems.

The realtree would have to go though, I see trucks around here without and think "faux redneck"

Yeah, plenty of lifted crap and camouflaged crap around here. "Oh lookit muh truck you can't see it in the trees y'all!" Well... thanks to your stupid wannabe semi exhaust on your diesel, you can definitely be HEARD in the trees for miles, so that's kind of moot.

Rant over, for now.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Z71 includes; 18" wheels, painted bumpers, fogs, 4x4, 46mm shocks (2011), skid plates, and stiffer shocks that make it stand a little taller. 3.73 gears at min too.

This the closest mis-badging that's almost allowable? Let's not forget who had "rubicon" on their voy. I guess if you earn the badge with every appropriate part, it's not just sticker hp anymore. :twocents:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Z71 includes, 18" wheels, painted bumpers, fogs, 4x4, 46mm shocks (2011), skid plates, and stiffer shocks that make it stand a little taller. 3.73 gears at min too.

This the closest mis-badging that's almost allowable? Let's not forget who had "rubicon" on their voy. I guess if you earn the badge with every appropriate part, it's not just sticker hp anymore. :twocents:

I forgot about the skids, the painted bumpers were also a 2LT class standard (I have never seen an 07+ without them). I am kid of glad I got a pre 09 as I have seen a lot of disgruntled owners with the 6 speed transmission, not to mention (why would you put this in a truck) a 3.08 axle ratio. Z71 also had the metal dash accents, the wood one is awful looking and had me look away from several trucks.

There is a member on ORTB with the jeep outline on his bowtie :confused:.

I would rate that as a terrible appearance mod (keeping it relevant)

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I am going out on a limb and saying one of the worse mods are removing the rack or running boards off a stock height TB. With stock wheels. Just looks cheaper and unless you sell the parts or make future mods, you technically paid more than you should have.

And short antennas on stockers. Looks goofy. Shave it to the roof height but too short looks like it didn't quite make it up.

Shortys belong on the roof. :yes:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
mcsteven said:
View attachment 20291

I have seen a few of these "specials" before....what i find most amusing about them is the fact its usually people from the Philippines driving them lol. I remember seeing this Windstar Type R/SS 4x4 in the walmart parking lot once...in fact i think i have pics of this thing on my old phone i dont use anymore....i will need to check and see if i can get tapatalk to play nice with the wifi to post them.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
High Voltage said:
bupeba3u.jpg
9e2y6eza.jpg
uvy9yzuv.jpg

Guess where it was parked!
Outside of JC Whitney!

It's funny because the decal dude is pointing out a crappy-looking mod where "ALL DEM FLAMES increase muh torque by 37 RPM and my intake air temperature dropped 42 foot-pounds since all the heat is away from the intake!"

And of course it's an Illinois vehicle. Why wouldn't it be? :rotfl: (Used to live 20 minutes from Illinois)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've got Z71 Tahoe springs, so I claim the badges are OK.

And the "Rubicon" sticker I've rationalized as a bucket list GOAL I've achieved. Most of the Jeeps with that option package have never even come close to touching the iconic trail. Yes, I take heat for the sticker. I just don't care. :raspberry:

s8-13.jpg

s8-14.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online