The Worst Appearance Mods

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
IllogicTC said:
The early 90s Beretta digital cluster wasn't all that bad. Provided a "bar graph" style gauge system, with a numerical readout on the speedometer in addition to the graph. It was easily switchable between imperial and metric units (changing which numbers lit up next to the bar graph and providing the appropriate numerical readout), the gauges to the left would blink their symbol if there was an issue, and the info center on the right offered things like calculated fuel range, instant and average MPG, and a digital readout of the tachometer. It was pretty novel.

Then... you had the digital display in the Daytona Shelby Z. Stupid little robotic voice yelling "PLEASE CLOSE YOUR DRIVER DOOR." "PLEASE CHECK YOUR DISC BRAKE PADS." "YOUR OIL PRESSURE IS LOW. ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR." "YOUR KEYS ARE IN THE IGNITION." That last one is funny because the light that lights up on the little "location" thing (shows a wireframe view of the car) lights up the engine bay area. It had a gauge on the lower right for fuel and a "combo" gauge on the lower left that could be shifted between voltage, oil pressure, and temperature.

80s Chrysler New Yorker had the same crap. "YOUR FUEL, IS LOW." except with the addition of beeps and blips for dummy lights like you're playing Pong.

And then those new Volvo digital dashes... an LCD screen acting as your cluster. There's a big round "gauge" dead center flanked by two other side spots. What's weird is there's different themes, but selecting different themes not only changes the cluster appearance but changes what's displayed. For example, you can't have the thermometer displaying on ECO or Performance themes, unless they can be manually selected later. Then you gotta click this thumb wheel thing to get little stats to roll up above the clock and outside temp which are shown at the bottom of the outboard "gauges," and then roll the thumb wheel through various metrics. It's all.... engaging to say the least, but distracting overall. It's just a little complicated to use.

However, one thing which is interesting is the integrated GPS. The center of the central "gauge" will show you turn-by-turn directions in addition to voice instructions, and more novel is that it uses the GPS data to gather speed limits on the road you're on, and will show a marker next to the limit on the speedometer. In the "performance" setup the central outer "gauge" is turned from a speedo to the tach, with a digital speed readout in the center. It'll still tell you the speed limit in the lower corner, though. Overall setup of the vehicle itself though? Pretty dang fancy.
Don't forget the Oldsmobile Cutlass
I had a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass International series with the digital cluster, Digital trip computer, Steering wheel controls for everything ( stereo functions and climate control).........Had the Imperial / Metric button one touch to switch everything over....One of my fav rides ever! Looked like a spaceship at night inside. Grey leather interior, Midnight Blue exterior, factory ground effects/ skirting and the big circular international badge on the front of the hood. I put just over 225 000 miles on that car. Still miss that ride.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
sawicksted said:
Don't forget the Oldsmobile Cutlass
I had a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass International series with the digital cluster, Digital trip computer, Steering wheel controls for everything ( stereo functions and climate control).........Had the Imperial / Metric button one touch to switch everything over....One of my fav rides ever! Looked like a spaceship at night inside. Grey leather interior, Midnight Blue exterior, factory ground effects/ skirting and the big circular international badge on the front of the hood. I put just over 225 000 miles on that car. Still miss that ride.
My old merc grand marquis and caddy Seville were like that. Was your Olds the cutlass cirea model with the international package?

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
My old merc grand marquis and caddy Seville were like that. Was your Olds the cutlass cirea model with the international package?
Nope just the Cutlass with an international package. I know the ciera models they were very nice inside. Mine was the regular cutlass model but with every conceivable upgrade except for a sunroof. They also made a few of this style into the convertible model. It got unreal mileage too...only the 3100 engine but it would move along pretty good and smooth as silk.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
sawicksted said:
Nope just the Cutlass with an international package. I know the ciera models they were very nice inside. Mine was the regular cutlass model but with every conceivable upgrade except for a sunroof. They also made a few of this style into the convertible model. It got unreal mileage too...only the 3100 engine but it would move along pretty good and smooth as silk.
I had an '90 Cirea Sl if I remember the trim right...it wasn't a bad car Tbh. It had the 3300 in it. Between fire responses and delivering pizza it got a lot of hard use.

Reactions: sawicksted

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Saw this today in Carlos' parking lot while we were loading the Uhaul. Guestimated at least 30" as it was sitting up higher than the Ford Escape on the left and Volvo crossover on the right.. Chris (he's 6'2") stood next to one of the wheels (before I could get my phone out) and the rim was almost up to his waist. :hopeless:

20141122_101708_zps9qqex65g.jpg

Both bumpers were scraped up and missing paint. Carlos was kind enough to inform me, the driver wasn't one of 'my people' That gave me some relief.
It's only halfway to "donk" status. But all that ground clearance don't matter when a pebble in the road could probably make the inside of the tire contact the rim :rotfl:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I guess a combo of appearance and functional mods. This from JC Whittney. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418335949.222071.jpgthings that make you say WTF!?

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
KD - would be cool if it shot flames out the back. Nice subtle way to get people to stay off your a$$!

Reactions: CaptainKD

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
This is/was a Colorado... Got some ugly rims, idk if you can make them out in the picture. That structure where the bed should be is made of wood. Been seeing it for a couple years..driven by a middle aged white guy.

Only thing I like about it is the big-rig LED lights everywhere.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419132305002.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419132305002.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That truck is suffering from identity confusion syndrome [emoji38]

Reactions: Mounce

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
This Voy could of fit into some other threads too; it needs to be saved...
It looks like it's got a lift on it, but the front is about 3 inches higher than the rear.... Driver:middle aged white woman

uploadfromtaptalk1419230173213.jpguploadfromtaptalk1419230184616.jpg

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
The problem with jokes like that is they have a tendency of not being funny.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Come on man, what's the matter with you? Those are subwoofer ports!!! Sheesh!
1 exhaust, 4 drafting heat away from the brakes, and 1 is the in-motion recharging port. Sort of like in-flight refueling but these come up from the back and can push if needed. Looks a bit like this:
eR7tie0.gif

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Cheaper than sheet metal :undecided:
It's the mold. He'll put clay on top of it then shape the fiberglass or sheet-metal. Yeah, that's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Cheaper than sheet metal :undecided:
Gotta love the Gt spec Geo Metro right beside it :rotfl:

Reactions: dmanns67

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That has got to be the roughest ride ever. No suspension on that thing at all. Ouch.

Reactions: Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online