TB passenger side vibrates when applying brake at 60mph or higher

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a huge headache trying to figure out as to why my TB vibrates when I apply the brake. I have changed out tie rods inner and outer on both sides,new LCAs on both sides,UCA that are 6 months old now, sway bar links,new rotors that I just recently turned and brake pads that have at least 3 months of use, new wheel hub on passenger side and I'm still getting a vibrations from the passenger side.

Now my question to you guys is can a bad caliper or calipers cause it to vibrate when I apply the brakes?

Any helps I appreciated!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Cv axle and an out of balance wheel will do that too. Rotate the tires and see if the vibration stays in the same location?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Recheck all that new stuff for something left loose. May be that simple.

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Cv axle and an out of balance wheel will do that too. Rotate the tires and see if the vibration stays in the same location?

Thanks for your reply Playsinsnow.

Can the Cv axle cause warped rotors too? I have gotten my tires balance and rotated and it still vibrates from the passenger side in the front.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It is completely possible the new wheel hub failed. There have been a few that have had early failures with hubs.

Have you tried grabbing the CV and seeing if there is play in it?

Have you jacked up that tire and spun it to see if anything appears loose or if you can hear any grinding or rubbing? Shake the tire from top and bottom and from each side and see if there is any play.

Reactions: rene_320

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
Midnyteryder196 said:
Is the vibration more in steering wheel? Or kinda all over vibration?
its all over the front of the TB but more of a slow vibration nothing heavy but when i apply my brakes to stop going over 60+ you can feel the vibration way more.

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
It is completely possible the new wheel hub failed. There have been a few that have had early failures with hubs.

Have you tried grabbing the CV and seeing if there is play in it?

Have you jacked up that tire and spun it to see if anything appears loose or if you can hear any grinding or rubbing? Shake the tire from top and bottom and from each side and see if there is any play.
They wheel hub seems fine to me. but who knows it might have gone bad since i had to replace the inner/outer tie rods.

My TB is a 2wd would it even have a CV Axle?

When i did the work i spun the tire and check to see if anything appeared to be loose and nothing. i did do the 10 and 2 on the tires and felt a small bit of play. did the 12 and 6 and there was no play.

im just stump at this issue i have had it for about 6 months now and its driving me crazy.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It does not have a cv.

You had an alignment with all new parts on it?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
rene_320 said:
Thanks for your reply Playsinsnow.

Can the Cv axle cause warped rotors too? I have gotten my tires balance and rotated and it still vibrates from the passenger side in the front.
I would check everything out that Hardtrailz suggested above. What brand wheel hub did you use? See if you can turn the axle/hub with wheel removed to locate it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You can do it with tire on as well. There is no axle...

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
It does not have a cv.

You had an alignment with all new parts on it?
yes sir, weird thing was that when i replaced the both LCA's either my left tire or right tire would stick out when i tried to straight out the wheels so i had to get it towed to the shop to get it the alignment on it.

the mechanic that did the alignment told me there was still some small play on the wheel which i did feel now as soon as i got on the free way i let go of the steering wheel and feel it pull to the right not sure if its due to the same issue but i wil be taking it back to since it has a 6 month or 6K warranty on the alignment.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
A decent shop would give you a print out of the specs and you could see the issue. I would not have accepted that alignment esp if he could not even tell you the source of the play. Be careful when you go back...they do not like to work for free and it seems they did not do so well even when being paid

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
I would check everything out that Hardtrailz suggested above. What brand wheel hub did you use? See if you can turn the axle/hub with wheel removed to locate it.
i got the timken from Autozone. I turned the wheel hub with and without tire and didnt hear a thing.

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
A decent shop would give you a print out of the specs and you could see the issue. I would not have accepted that alignment esp if he could not even tell you the source of the play. Be careful when you go back...they do not like to work for free and it seems they did not do so well even when being paid
very true this was sears and i asked for the print out specs of the alignment. the front personal told me they had to correct the issue on both sides of the camber but mainly on the right side.

you are right about them not liking working for free so i will watch what they do.

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
Also can it be my right side caliper not releasing on time? i havent been able to get someone behind the brake pedal and turn the wheel while its jacked up to see if the pistons release.

this will be my next proect to do. put in new calipers and maybe while im at it go switch out the brake pads for some news.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you are gonna shotgun parts like that at it...get new rotors. Esp since you just had them turned last time. Look around the forum for some of the Brakemotive reviews. Many like them.

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
If you are gonna shotgun parts like that at it...get new rotors. Esp since you just had them turned last time. Look around the forum for some of the Brakemotive reviews. Many like them.
I got the Duralast Gold rotors from autozone which i wish i had done some research since i just heard of the brakemotive this week. but since the DG rotors have a lifetime warranty i will just switch them out for some new ones.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just as good since you dont have to pay. When you spin the tire you dont hear any drag? Can you see if pads are worn evenly?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I suggest taking the wheel off so you can see if the rotor wobbles any looking where the caliper/pad slot is.

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
Just as good since you dont have to pay. When you spin the tire you dont hear any drag? Can you see if pads are worn evenly?
some what i cant remember i will have to check it when i get home. I just remember not having to try to hard to turn the wheel. i checked the brake pads and they seemed fine like they had worn out evenly.

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
I suggest taking the wheel off so you can see if the rotor wobbles any looking where the caliper/pad slot is.
I will try that this evening hopefully i get some sun light when i leave work if not i will have to wait till the weekend. this weather here in houston is crazy one day is nice and warm the next its to cold to do anything.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
rene_320 said:
When i did the work i spun the tire and check to see if anything appeared to be loose and nothing. i did do the 10 and 2 on the tires and felt a small bit of play. did the 12 and 6 and there was no play.

rene_320 said:
the mechanic that did the alignment told me there was still some small play on the wheel which i did feel now as soon as i got on the free way i let go of the steering wheel and feel it pull to the right.

This info has me thinking it is in the steering not the brakes for some reason. Hopefully your return to the alignment shop gets you a good tech that can evaluate the steering and other components and get a real alignment before you do spend unneeded money on any brake parts since they are relatively new and sound to be in good working order.

The fact you feel it without the brakes and the braking extrapolates the problem also has me leaning toward alignment and steering...

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
This info has me thinking it is in the steering not the brakes for some reason. Hopefully your return to the alignment shop gets you a good tech that can evaluate the steering and other components and get a real alignment before you do spend unneeded money on any brake parts since they are relatively new and sound to be in good working order.

The fact you feel it without the brakes and the braking extrapolates the problem also has me leaning toward alignment and steering...
I hope so i dont want to go to another alignment shop but if i have to i will. but yeah its weird how it vibrates just going over 40 then once i hit 60 i feel it vibrate but not as much as to when i apply the brakes.

I will let you all know the outcome. i have a mechanic looking at it right now to see if he can pin point whats wrong with it.

I appreciate everyones input and opinions. :thankyou:

rene_320

Original poster
May 21, 2013
hi guys sorry for bring up this old thread but i found the problem to the vibration. it was my struts and strut mounts that where causing the TB to vibrate and also one of the "new" tie rods went out.

thank you all for your help on this!

Reactions: Mounce

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hey guys I'm going to post my issue here although the OP has solved his issue. I'm having a much similar noice/vibration going on when I'm heavy on the break at about anything above 45 mph. I'm attaching a video of my findings when I checked thing out.

I'd like your input on what the hell may of happened. The wife and I never really get this voy up and going above 50 here in the city. But we did notice yesterday while on the jersey turnpike headed to a family outing. I was trying to keep up with my brother in law in his tbss but when he hit the break and I followed I thought the voy was going to fall apart. So I let off and couldn't keep pace. It was terrible. :frown:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Well I went a head last night and ordered complete moog lower control arms, new set of sway bar bushing and the Cardone cv half shaft assembly. All the brackets I've seen don't seem as good as the oe one so I'm going to pick up a set of used ones.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I thought the Moogs came with brackets?

Seems you covered all that seems to need attention, but did you look at the wear on the pads and rotors? I know my Impala rotors warp easy and I can feel it coming off an exit ramp, but nowhere else. I just deal with it and don't worry since I only feel it basically once or twice a day.

Make sure everything is tight and the alignment is good after the new parts!

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Rockauto didn't have the bracket when I looked up sway bar bushings. I Did see a few on summit racing with polyurethane bushings but couldn't get a exact fit or part # for our platform. I'm just going to get the oe ones and call it a day.

Wow this is going to be 3 alignments in less then a year. Smh. It is what it is.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was referring to the LCA. I never messed with the sway bars except to unhook em and then when I finally made some front bolt on links. Not sure on any bushing or brackets for it.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I thought the Moogs came with brackets?

Seems you covered all that seems to need attention, but did you look at the wear on the pads and rotors? I know my Impala rotors warp easy and I can feel it coming off an exit ramp, but nowhere else. I just deal with it and don't worry since I only feel it basically once or twice a day.

Make sure everything is tight and the alignment is good after the new parts!

The vibration is warped rotors for sure, caused by heavy braking, easy check...take off wheel and rotate and note the warp at the caliper.

I recently did iirc a month and 1/2 ago front pads and everything seemed fine. I pretty much just did them cause they were still under warranty and my wife said she didn't like the way the brake pedal felt. To me they were good no funny ware and alot of meat still on them. Rotors were done about 2 yrs ago again by an indy shop while I was away in Buffalo n.y. I'm Not even sure what brand rotors they put in there.what I do know when I got back from my trip I wasn't pleased with the pads and switched those out for duralast c max which I'm super happy with.

I planning to do the front and rear rotors and pads. I'm thinking to go with either of these options the brakemotive set up for our rigs or go all out and do the front bigger caliper brackets from the s.s/ext models and throw some baer rotors and pads all the way around.

I'm still up in the air about what I'm going to do so if you have any other suggestions please feel free to share your thoughts.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Do the brakes and see if the problem goes away

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Do the brakes and see if the problem goes away
I have to tackle that sway bar bracket and bushings first and foremost. I got under the voy last night and started to take it apart and the the 2 bolts that hold one side up are shoot and stripped a bit. I pulled the bolts from the other side out and the came out nicely. I then tried those bolts to the other side were the bracket broke and they started to strip. So I'm going have to tap the thread on the chassis and may be go up one bolt size depending on how the clean up tap works out.

Brakes and rotors are going in right after I get that sorted out. I still have to put my order in for which ever set I finally choose.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Get the EXT brakemotive kit and be happy :wink:

smt 59

I recently did iirc a month and 1/2 ago front pads and everything seemed fine. I pretty much just did them cause they were still under warranty and my wife said she didn't like the way the brake pedal felt. To me they were good no funny ware and alot of meat still on them. Rotors were done about 2 yrs ago again by an indy shop while I was away in Buffalo n.y. I'm Not even sure what brand rotors they put in there.what I do know when I got back from my trip I wasn't pleased with the pads and switched those out for duralast c max which I'm super happy with.

I planning to do the front and rear rotors and pads. I'm thinking to go with either of these options the brakemotive set up for our rigs or go all out and do the front bigger caliper brackets from the s.s/ext models and throw some baer rotors and pads all the way around.

I'm still up in the air about what I'm going to do so if you have any other suggestions please feel free to share your thoughts.

You can have lots of braking material left while doing an inspection but if the rotors are over heated and warped then they are useless to you, I am a heavy breaker and had this issue many times on my trucks, I am now using Brakemotive on my Voy and Napa brand on my Equinox that gets more city driving that it should and am loving the Brakemotive so far. I would recommend Brakemotive drilled and slotted, good performance and look good at the same time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online