SS Rims and Appearance Mods

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I just bought a set of SS rims and cant to install them later today!:biggrin: There is a few more things i would like to do to the appearance of my TB.

1. The plastic molding on the bumpers and skirt looks pretty bad. Iv read that this can be fixed with a heat gun.
Anyone else try this?

:thumbsup: - 2. Remove the plastic dent protectors along the doors.I heard this is also done with a heat gun.
What should I use to remove the left over goop that wont hurt the paint and what should i do after? http://gmtnation.com/f33/suggestions-removing-side-molding-strips-2164/

:thumbsup: - 3. Remove the roof rack. I like the smooth and slick look. What would I need for this? http://gmtnation.com/f33/roof-rack-removal-2559/?highlight=roof+rack+removal

4.What do i do for a spare? Will I have to buy another SS rim and tire or is there a cheaper allternative? Will it mount where my old spare is?

Any help would be appreciated. Ill post pics as I go along.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
You've answered all your own questions man, leave the stock spare tire and call it a day. Remove the roof rack with a flathead screwdriver to pop the front cap off then grab whatever torx bit (wanna say either T-20 or T-30) and remove the bolts.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
You've answered all your own questions man, leave the stock spare tire and call it a day. Remove the roof rack with a flathead screwdriver to pop the front cap off then grab whatever torx bit (wanna say either T-20 or T-30) and remove the bolts.

But I kinda dont want to be without a spare tire. If I get a flat I dont want to be stranded somewhere.

http://gmtnation.com/f33/roof-rack-removal-2559/?highlight=roof+rack+removal

Found a roof rack removal one

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
But I kinda dont want to be without a spare tire. If I get a flat I dont want to be stranded somewhere.

Leave the stock spare tire. Just like scarabs post says. As in leave it there. So you have it. So you can use it.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
willn513 said:
Leave the stock spare tire. Just like scarabs post says. As in leave it there. So you have it. So you can use it.

Since i have 20 inch rims and I have a stock 16 inch spare and if i get a flat and put that one on, wont it screw stuff up? Will it be ok as long as I dont turn 4x4 on?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Since i have 20 inch rims and I have a stock 16 inch spare and if i get a flat and put that one on, wont it screw stuff up? Will it be ok as long as I dont turn 4x4 on?

Realize that rim size has absolutely NOTHING to do with being able to run a particular wheel/tire combo. The ONLY thing that matters is OVERALL wheel/tire size. Unless you put some huge tires on your SS rims, you will be fine. As long as it's within ~3% diameter you will be just fine for short distances. I had to run my spare for ~2 weeks on my SS with the factory 20s (why would GM put a 17" spare on an SS unless it worked?) when I spun out and popped the tire off the rim.

Stock wheels for TBs are 29.5" diameter, SS is 30.1". The spare I have on my truck is 255/65R17 I believe and was just fine for the time I ran it (on the rear of my AWD SS).

Basically, if you use 255/50R20 or 275/45R20 for tires on those SS rims, you'll be just fine. I understand being paranoid, Im anal about all my stuff too and dont want to mess it up. :thumbsup:

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Realize that rim size has absolutely NOTHING to do with being able to run a particular wheel/tire combo. The ONLY thing that matters is OVERALL wheel/tire size. Unless you put some huge tires on your SS rims, you will be fine. As long as it's within ~3% diameter you will be just fine for short distances. I had to run my spare for ~2 weeks on my SS with the factory 20s (why would GM put a 17" spare on an SS unless it worked?) when I spun out and popped the tire off the rim.

Stock wheels for TBs are 29.5" diameter, SS is 30.1". The spare I have on my truck is 255/65R17 I believe and was just fine for the time I ran it (on the rear of my AWD SS).

Basically, if you use 255/50R20 or 275/45R20 for tires on those SS rims, you'll be just fine. I understand being paranoid, Im anal about all my stuff too and dont want to mess it up. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I looked it up on the tire calculator. My stock setup is 29.5 in and my new setup is 30 in so its well within range. Boy am I relieved.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Good point Eric about the SS coming with a 17" spare from the factory. Didn't even really think of that.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Rudeawakening said:
The plastic molding on the bumpers and skirt looks pretty bad. Iv read that this can be fixed with a heat gun. Anyone else try this?

I've seen a video on youtube for that but never tried it or seen it work in person.

Reactions: Sua25

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I did all these mods u r talkin about on my voy I had. Easy as cake.

Doors...just rip off the molding and clean with heat gun and goo gone(or wd 40)
Derack...take em off and use set screws to fill holes
Leave 16" spare as said above
Then my suggestion....lower it.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
jrSS said:
I did all these mods u r talkin about on my voy I had. Easy as cake.

Doors...just rip off the molding and clean with heat gun and goo gone(or wd 40)
Derack...take em off and use set screws to fill holes
Leave 16" spare as said above
Then my suggestion....lower it.

I just installed my SS rims, I love em! Its amazing what just some rims can do. Heres before and after pics. The TB is dirty the rims arent polished yet, but dont worry, they will be :smile:

View attachment 25889

View attachment 25890

View attachment 25891

View attachment 25892

What are the SS's lowered to?

Attachments

• IMAG0322.jpg
    IMAG0322.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0353.jpg
    IMAG0353.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG0358.jpg
    IMAG0358.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 42

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
After im done with these first set of mods, I would like to paint my door handles. Are they the same door handles as the SS ones? The SS door handles seem to be flat and even with the rest of the car, while the ones I have are the plastic ones that bulge out. Just wondering if im crazy or not :weird:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Definitely looks 100 times better. I think mine sits around 32 ground to fenderlip. Not 100% sure tho. If u wanna lower pm tony.....NORCAL SS. He knows his shit and will hook u up.

Rudeawakening said:
After im done with these first set of mods, I would like to paint my door handles. Are they the same door handles as the SS ones? The SS door handles seem to be flat and even with the rest of the car, while the ones I have are the plastic ones that bulge out. Just wondering if im crazy or not :weird:

Nope same handles just smooth and painted.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Looking good there man you could also use the door moldings to cover the roof rack holes to make it look cleaner. Just use some adhesive:thumbsup:
my bad saw the door moldings you had if they were the smooth ones it'd work

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
TexazReece said:
Looking good there man you could also use the door moldings to cover the roof rack holes to make it look cleaner. Just use some adhesive:thumbsup:
my bad saw the door moldings you had if they were the smooth ones it'd work

Yeah, it would look kinda wierd on the roof to see "Trailblazer" lol. But thats ok becuase id rather just put tyflon tape around around some set screws and caulk it (yes im anal). That way if i change my mind its easier to put the roofrack back on. Also, how much does it cost to lower the TB to an SS height? Just a ball park, dont need an exact number. Another mod I was thinking was getting an SS crossbar and paint it the same color as the body.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Also, is there special care I need to take with these rims? I live in chicago and since we get plenty of snow (usally) theres usally plent of salt in the winter. Just keep em clean? I really really dont want to mess these bad boys up. Also, my old rims are pretty crappy looking but work just fine, what should I sell em at? The tires dont have to much left on em either. Im thinking id sell them as a set but if theres enough buyers that want 1 wheel id split em up.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Also, is there special care I need to take with these rims? I live in chicago and since we get plenty of snow (usally) theres usally plent of salt in the winter. Just keep em clean? I really really dont want to mess these bad boys up. Also, my old rims are pretty crappy looking but work just fine, what should I sell em at? The tires dont have to much left on em either. Im thinking id sell them as a set but if theres enough buyers that want 1 wheel id split em up.

Personally, If I'd spent the money to get the SS rims on there, I'd check Craigslist for a decent set of winter tires and put them on the stockers. Maybe even paint them black. You won't get alot for them anyways, yours are pretty rough like mine, and then you could have the great traction of snow tires in the crappy weather while your SS rims stay safe. Then put them back on in the spring.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Personally, If I'd spent the money to get the SS rims on there, I'd check Craigslist for a decent set of winter tires and put them on the stockers. Maybe even paint them black. You won't get alot for them anyways, yours are pretty rough like mine, and then you could have the great traction of snow tires in the crappy weather while your SS rims stay safe. Then put them back on in the spring.

I was kinda thinking about that but I dont have any place to store an extra set, I dont have a garage or anything.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
The SS is about a 1" drop over regular TBs, Id go a little lower. I used Eibach springs on my 02 and they were great up front with Bilstein HD shocks, but do not run Bilstein HDs in the rear with a drop kit. Use Belltech drop shocks.

Speaking of that, I still have those drop springs in the attic, need to pull them out and put em up for sale. Not doing me any good up there and the 02s going to stay lifted lol.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks, Ill do that at some point maybe, not sure if i wanna lower it or not. On another note about painting the door handles, becuase its the crappy plastic finish, if I have em painted will it not have a nice finish and be bumpy or will i have to get new door handles and have them painted so its a smooth finish?

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Thanks, Ill do that at some point maybe, not sure if i wanna lower it or not. On another note about painting the door handles, becuase its the crappy plastic finish, if I have em painted will it not have a nice finish and be bumpy or will i have to get new door handles and have them painted so its a smooth finish?

Most folks that paint them sand them smooth. Takes a little work, but generally comes out pretty nice. I was thinking about getting a set of the chrome stick on door handle covers on ebay, sanding the chrome off and painting them. That way if they don't come out like I want, I haven't really changed my actual handles

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks, thats really good to know.

Im dropping of my TB to get a dent worked out.

View attachment 25899

I hope they can fix it back to how it was. I wanna take the side trim off and the dent would be alot more noticable if I do so I hope they can get looking like new :frown:

I also would like to install an SS cross bar. I just hope I can pop my old one off the grill and put the SS one on.

Attachments

• IMAG0322.jpg
    IMAG0322.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 28

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
I also would like to install an SS cross bar. I just hope I can pop my old one off the grill and put the SS one on.

You'll also need a new bumper. The SS Crossbar is part of the whole grille. The LS grille, like yours and mine, is flat across the bottom, and the bumper goes flat across to match. The 06+ LT and the SS both have an indentation in the bumper to allow the grille to go lower into them. To install an SS grille (by the way these are crazy expensive), you'll also need a front bumper from either an 06+ LT or an SS.

Many of the Trailblazers did come with a painted to match cross bar. It doesn't have the vents in the headlights, but they will fit without a new bumper

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
SBUBandit said:
You'll also need a new bumper. The SS Crossbar is part of the whole grille. The LS grille, like yours and mine, is flat across the bottom, and the bumper goes flat across to match. The 06+ LT and the SS both have an indentation in the bumper to allow the grille to go lower into them. To install an SS grille (by the way these are crazy expensive), you'll also need a front bumper from either an 06+ LT or an SS.

Many of the Trailblazers did come with a painted to match cross bar. It doesn't have the vents in the headlights, but they will fit without a new bumper

Doh! Looks like I wont be doing that for a while. I did see someone buy an SS grill and cut it up so it would fit the older style bumpers. But it looks like the whole grill and the vent inserts will run me over $300, ouch! Oh well, Ill just focus on my other mods that wont really cost me anything.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Doh! Looks like I wont be doing that for a while. I did see someone buy an SS grill and cut it up so it would fit the older style bumpers. But it looks like the whole grill and the vent inserts will run me over $300, ouch! Oh well, Ill just focus on my other mods that wont really cost me anything.

Lol, sorry. If you do the sanded handles, do the same thing to your mirror caps. The SS mirror caps were painted too and look nice. You could also try either sanding and painting (alot of work) the Rubbermaid part of your front bumper, or cheap and easy, you could plastidip it. Easy to do, hard to screw up, and in black it would look cleaner than the faded gray

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
SBUBandit said:

Im sorry, I didnt quite understand this last sentance.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Im sorry, I didnt quite understand this last sentance.

Picture is worth a thousand words right? Check out the truck below, its not an SS, but its crossbar is the same color as the paint. Some of the TB came that way rather than with the chrome cross bar. That grille/crossbar will fit yours. If you picked up one of the paintable ones, you can paint it to match. I doubt you'll find one already in the Dark Gray Metallic, but you might get lucky.

View attachment 25902

Attachments

• change-fuel-filter-chevy-trailblazer-800x800.jpg
    change-fuel-filter-chevy-trailblazer-800x800.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 423

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Ohhhhh, I see what your saying. Ill just wait a while before i do that, or ill just paint the one I have. I like the aggresive look the SS one gives. I woud like to put an SS front bumper on it someday so ill just wait until I do that.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Ok, I just got a crazy idea, I dont know if its cool or dumb so let me know what you think. I found this bumper for $90

View attachment 25904.jpg]

Its the newer style bumper on the LS, mines an 03. I was thinking about getting it painted to match my TB but also having them spray and out line box around here like an SS and than painting my cross bar to match, that way I can get an SS look for a fraction of the price. Not to sure how it would look though.

View attachment 25905

At first it looked like it would just fit right on there becuase it needs the same kind of grill I have. However I did notice a problem. The vents I have circled is where my lights go on my TB.

View attachment 25906

If I knock, out the vents, will my lights fit in it? and what else would I have to do to make tis bumper work? I really hope this works. I would like to use this bumper over mine becuase when I get it painted it would be nice and smooth and I think its a little cleaner looking than the one I have. Pluse $90 bucks seems pretty good.

Attachments

• 3G73Fd3N55N85G85E4d1f04e17dc6bd981123[1].jpg
    3G73Fd3N55N85G85E4d1f04e17dc6bd981123[1].jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 273
  • new bump.JPG
    new bump.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 274
  • imagesCA7LGZIW new.JPG
    imagesCA7LGZIW new.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 273

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
You'll have to fab up mounting brackets for your fogs if you use this bumper. Honestly, spend a little more $$ and get the right one.

Sherman 690 87 3 Bumper Cover Front Chevrolet Trailblazer | eBay

Or upgrade to the new style LT bumper that has the drop in the middle so you can run the SS grille.

Chevrolet Trailblazer 06 09 Bumper Cover Front Lt Model | eBay

Well, I dont like the textured look and the other bumper requires the new grill. Plus ill be spending almost an extra $200, which id rather put towards the paint job, I dont have anything to paint with, I dont even have a garage. Im sure it cant be that hard to come up with something to mount em. Would that be the only problem?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Well, I dont like the textured look and the other bumper requires the new grill. Plus ill be spending almost an extra $200, which id rather put towards the paint job, I dont have anything to paint with, I dont even have a garage. Im sure it cant be that hard to come up with something to mount em. Would that be the only problem?

You'll have to do some research on how to install fog lights on an LS because thats what you're doing, getting an LS bumper. Personally I wouldnt toss a perfectly good LT textured bumper for a paintable LS one, not worth it IMO. But, its your truck so your call.

You can find bumpers that arent textured on the bottom for cheaper than that, I literally spent 15 seconds on eBay finding those.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
You'll have to do some research on how to install fog lights on an LS because thats what you're doing, getting an LS bumper. Personally I wouldnt toss a perfectly good LT textured bumper for a paintable LS one, not worth it IMO. But, its your truck so your call.

You can find bumpers that arent textured on the bottom for cheaper than that, I literally spent 15 seconds on eBay finding those.

Omg! I just checked eBay earlier and those bumpers weren't there! There were a few textured ones, that was it.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
This guy totally stole my idea! lol.

View attachment 25919

Thanks scarab for your help, I really apprciate it as well as everoyne else. I took off my side moldings and im gonna take off my roof rack later today as well, so far everythings going smooth :smile:

Attachments

• imagesCAJKSIN0.jpg
    imagesCAJKSIN0.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 248

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I like it, I was going to put an 06-09 LT front end on my 02 but the body shop fixed it before I could say otherwise.

Dont paint the silver stuff, IMHO it looks cheesy.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
I like it, I was going to put an 06-09 LT front end on my 02 but the body shop fixed it before I could say otherwise.

Dont paint the silver stuff, IMHO it looks cheesy.

Yeah, he had my idea trying to make a cheaper SS look. I would get the bumper, but its so freakin expensive as well as the other stuff you need with it. So ill just settle for the Lt bumper and get the SS grilled assembly as well.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Yep I did the SS grill with the LT bumper and looks GREAT to me. I got more pics in my album if you need more pics of how it looks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online