SS Rims and Appearance Mods

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
TexazReece said:
Yep I did the SS grill with the LT bumper and looks GREAT to me. I got more pics in my album if you need more pics of how it looks.

Actually, your the one the game me the idea :thumbsup:. I did look at your album before but now I cant see your album :confused:

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Heres an updated pic of my TB :thumbsup:

View attachment 25953

Mods so far: SS Rims
Remove Door Side Molding
Remove Roof Rack

I would like to save money and paint the rocker panels and door handles my self. I know some of you have a professional sprayers hooked up to an air compressor, but could I do this with spray paint and make it look nice? What sand paper would any of you recommend to use on the handles and rocker panel to get them nice and smooth? I assume I could buy my color from a dealer ship or something and get a can of primer and clear coat.

Attachments

• err.jpg
    err.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 32

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Heres an updated pic of my TB :thumbsup:

View attachment 11857

Mods so far: SS Rims
Remove Door Side Molding
Remove Roof Rack

I would like to save money and paint the rocker panels and door handles my self. I know some of you have a professional sprayers hooked up to an air compressor, but could I do this with spray paint and make it look nice? What sand paper would any of you recommend to use on the handles and rocker panel to get them nice and smooth? I assume I could buy my color from a dealer ship or something and get a can of primer and clear coat.

Looking good. Amazing the difference removing the side moldings makes.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah really. Also, using a heat gun on the plastic works great. They look brand new. I found an SS shift knob , junk yard wants $50 for it. Tried looking online for prices but couldnt find it, is $50 a good price?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
If its in good shape, $50 is a good price. Usually on eBay brand new ones go for 75-100.

BTW would you be interested in a drop kit? Its an Eibach kit 1.5/2" drop, I only want like $100 for it plus shipping (not sure how much that'd be). I can grab some pics of the springs later today, they're tucked away up in the attic right now.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
If its in good shape, $50 is a good price. Usually on eBay brand new ones go for 75-100.

BTW would you be interested in a drop kit? Its an Eibach kit 1.5/2" drop, I only want like $100 for it plus shipping (not sure how much that'd be). I can grab some pics of the springs later today, they're tucked away up in the attic right now.

I am acutally :undecided: 2 inches lower is about the height of an SS correct? Im looking to go the same hieght as one or a little higher but not lower. Is this all the stuff I need to lower it? Like do I need to buy more stuff as well? I Dont know anything when it comes to this kind of stuff. Since I wont be installing them myself how much would it cost?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
With the Eibach kit, you will need shorter shocks in the rear as well (I can point you in the correct direction for those, $130 for 2 new rear shocks). Cut the rear bumpstops and personally Id do new shocks up front as long as the strut assembly has to come apart (but thats me). Thats it for a mild drop, it will align just fine as well.

Eibach says you can run stock shocks in the rear, believe me you CAN but it WILL ride like crap.

As for install, no idea. Probably ~2 hours of labor minimum, ask if there are any members in your area that would be willing to help.

It will be pretty close to a stock height SS, maybe .5-1" lower. I found some pics of my 02 from 08 when I had this Eibach kit on it. Tires are stock 16s with 245/70R16s.

IMG_0593800x600.jpg

IMG_0600800x600.jpg

IMG_0597800x600.jpg

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
With the Eibach kit, you will need shorter shocks in the rear as well (I can point you in the correct direction for those, $130 for 2 new rear shocks). Cut the rear bumpstops and personally Id do new shocks up front as long as the strut assembly has to come apart (but thats me). Thats it for a mild drop, it will align just fine as well.

Eibach says you can run stock shocks in the rear, believe me you CAN but it WILL ride like crap.

As for install, no idea. Probably ~2 hours of labor minimum, ask if there are any members in your area that would be willing to help.

It will be pretty close to a stock height SS, maybe .5-1" lower. I found some pics of my 02 from 08 when I had this Eibach kit on it. Tires are stock 16s with 245/70R16s.

IMG_0593800x600.jpg

IMG_0600800x600.jpg

IMG_0597800x600.jpg

Is the ride alot smoother than stock? or is it about the same? What kind of exaust do you have?

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Here's my tb after a couple ss mods.

Attachments

• 20130119_133710.jpg
    20130119_133710.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20130119_133733.jpg
    20130119_133733.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 22

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Is the ride alot smoother than stock? or is it about the same? What kind of exaust do you have?

Ok, my ride up front was nice and firm, but the rear was $hit. I messed up and used Bilstein HD shocks in the rear, they dont like being run 2" lower than stock. If you use the correct Belltech drop shocks for the rear, the ride will be firm but not harsh. Definitely stiffer than stock.

Its the Magnaflow dual exhaust catback, think I was one of the first people to scoop one up! Sounds great, only drones a little from 1800-2000rpms. Quiet at part throttle, loud at WOT. :cool:

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Nice exuast :thumbsup: So when you say stiffer, it means it wont be as smooth I take it. Is there ones I can buy that go well with the drop kit and provide a smoother ride than stock? Also, can anyone clue me in on about the self paint job i was asking about a few posts up?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Nice exuast So when you say stiffer, it means it wont be as smooth I take it. Is there ones I can buy that go well with the drop kit and provide a smoother ride than stock? Also, can anyone clue me in on about the self paint job i was asking about a few posts up?

It will be a firmer, sportier ride. I have yet to see a drop kit that rides as softly as the stock suspension, they all firm the ride up.

If you havent painted before and dont have the correct compressor, filtration system, spray guns, drying area, etc you'll end up spending a lot more on stuff vs just taking it to a shop. If you want to rattle can it, then yea just pull the parts off and sand them down smooth, use adhesive promoter and lay a few coats down. Wetsand then spray some clear. Wont be professional grade, but especially for rockers that will get beat up over time.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
When I bought my TB, the orginal owner replaced them just recently at about 55,000 miles, I currently have 86,000 miles on it.I dont know if he replaced them with factory or different ones. Lowering kit would come with everything I need to lower it correct? and I could use the orginal shocks and struts but it would ride like crap so far is what im understanding.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
When I bought my TB, the orginal owner replaced them just recently at about 55,000 miles, I currently have 86,000 miles on it.I dont know if he replaced them with factory or different ones. Lowering kit would come with everything I need to lower it correct? and I could use the orginal shocks and struts but it would ride like crap so far is what im understanding.

If you're talking to me, then no. I said before I just have the Eibach springs, you would need to get the correct Belltech drop shocks from Tony at TBSSOwners.com for the rear. I have another member that has been PM'ing me about them, I offered them to you first but once I get him a shipping quote they're getting out of my attic. Sat there for 2+ years, I want em gone.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I found someone near me selling an SS front end for $1100. It has everything minus the brackets to mount them with that the 03's dont have. Is this a good deal? It seems likeit becuase I started researching parts and it looks like they will add up to alot more. Iv tried looking up the braces but have not found any. I assume that its part numbers 21994090 1 Left Brace and 21994091 1 Right Brace from thr parts list below. Anyone know how much these things cost? Any other help or info would be appreciated. If thats all I need to get than im serouisly considering buying this.

FRONT PARTS
19120219 1 Molding Kit
15134119 1 Grille
19120215 1 Bumper cover
15135191 1 Lower Grille
15135190 1 Right outer grille
15135189 1 Left outer grille
15135187 1 Left Chrome Bezel
15135188 1 Right Chrome Bezel
19121420 1 Right Insert
19121419 1 Left insert
19120214 1 Spacer
21994090 1 Left Brace
21994091 1 Right Brace
15161503 1 Left & Right Fog Light

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
jrSS said:
Rock auto will have what u need.

I checked it, it didnt have the matching part # but I assume its this,

VARIOUS MFR Part # GM1066191
SS; Impact Bar Brace; Left Front

Heres the link, there oly $10 each. Its under body exterior, than under bumper mounting bracket.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

So I take it its a good deal for the front end? I still have to repaint em.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
I checked it, it didnt have the matching part # .....

The part number does not match because the part is not oem. By saying that....the price is reduced. The parts I have recieved from rockauto are nice fitting and well made. So nothing to worry about on the fitting dept that I would worry about. If your unsure of the part u want is correct...give rockauto a call.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
jrSS said:
The part number does not match because the part is not oem. By saying that....the price is reduced. The parts I have recieved from rockauto are nice fitting and well made. So nothing to worry about on the fitting dept that I would worry about. If your unsure of the part u want is correct...give rockauto a call.

Thanks for the help. I looked up sideview mirrors with turn signals as well :biggrin:

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
djez015 said:
06 Trailblazer Floor Shifter | eBay this seems like a close match for a ss shifter

Thanks, but I all ready have one :biggrin: Does anyone know if the door handles made by doorman any good? I would like to get a set of smooth ones to paint, but if there cheap as hell and break after a few uses i dont want em lol. Iv bought an APP switch from them before and it was complete crap and ened up buying an OEM, learned my lesson on buying OEM parts for anything that makes your car run correctly.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ive got 3 smooth handles. Lol. They are from my envoy I had. They are oem painted and chrome.(not a chrome cover) But I do have 1 reg texured handle that I painted silver. If interested pm me. Ill let em go for cheap...

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Picked up an entire SS front end, $1100. It seems like a good price to me, alot of little things go for like $100, the bumper alone is $400 or more. Grille assembly and grille is another $300 or more, of course you have to find em first lol. This also saved me alot of head aches of running around and ordering/shipping parts a well. Im get more parts before I have the front end painted, I assume it would be cheaper to have all the parts I need painted and have them all at ounce instead pieces at a time. Im looking to get smooth outside door handles, smooth side view mirrors with turn signals. The rocker panels ill just sand em down really good, they seem to cost alot of $$$ so I think id rather save some money that way unless anyone has smooth rockers there looking to sell cheap, but since there at the bottom I doubt anyone will even notice. A lowering kit and pcm tune is currently in the works as well so I should be getting that soon.

When I paint my rockers and my rear bumper at some point im thinking of painting is silver, so its got a little something different to it, a more sportier look. Imagaine the front bumper an SS one.

View attachment 26383

Attachments

• IMAG0391.jpg
    IMAG0391.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 14

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Im gonna order some sideview mirrors that are paintable/smooth with turn signals. From what I inderstand its plug and play right? Even though mine are plain and no turn signals, just plug it in the turns signals will work?

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Im gonna order some sideview mirrors that are paintable/smooth with turn signals. From what I inderstand its plug and play right? Even though mine are plain and no turn signals, just plug it in the turns signals will work?

Yep, the plug should be behind the door panel.

djez015

Jan 28, 2013
I wish i can find a ss front end its so hard lol i think me and you are just about at the same point at a ss look a like idk of I want to remove my roof rack yet

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I just saw someone selling front end on tbss for 350 and someone mentioned they have aftermarket front ends available at a parts store for 300

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
djez015 said:
I wish i can find a ss front end its so hard lol i think me and you are just about at the same point at a ss look a like idk of I want to remove my roof rack yet

Definitely remove the roof rack, unless you use it. I never used mine. With the roof rack gone it really adds a much smother look to it and its really easy to do. Look at my album and youll see a before and after picks :thumbsup:

I got this great idea from fireman4215 to install raptor lights. Ill add 2 at the bottom as well to try to look a little more like it. I think it looks badass.

View attachment 26414

Attachments

• imagesCA9RIXWQ.jpg
    imagesCA9RIXWQ.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 128
  • RPTR.jpg
    RPTR.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 128

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Im not to sure what to do about the rear bumper. The SS bumper looks really bulky and fat so im not to much of a fan of em. I might go with 06+ LT bumper, or maybe an Envoy or 9-7x? Also, what do you do to add the support for the center of the 06+ bumpers. Mines the old kind so if I just slap it on and step on it, it will crack. Im trying to find a part number for it. Any suggestions?

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Im not to sure what to do about the rear bumper. The SS bumper looks really bulky and fat so im not to much of a fan of em. I might go with 06+ LT bumper, or maybe an Envoy or 9-7x? Also, what do you do to add the support for the center of the 06+ bumpers. Mines the old kind so if I just slap it on and step on it, it will crack. Im trying to find a part number for it. Any suggestions?

Someone on the OS, welded a piece of tubing across the step area.

Also the raptor lights would be a interesting idea, what lights would you use? Looking forward to seeing it!

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Rudeawakening said:

Any bumper except for a TB bumper will not follow the body lines correctly, just a heads up.

You can weld a piece across the back or use the GM bumper filler piece (I believe it's metal as well), if you can it's probably easier to have a shop weld a piece across the top.

I prefer the SS rear bumper to the other 2 choices, but I like the 06+ LT style as well.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Porkins said:
Someone on the OS, welded a piece of tubing across the step area.

Also the raptor lights would be a interesting idea, what lights would you use? Looking forward to seeing it!

Im just using amber trailer lights lol and ill just mount em where I want. Fireman4215 came up with this awsome mod, so all props to him :thumbsup:

Any bumper except for a TB bumper will not follow the body lines correctly, just a heads up.

You can weld a piece across the back or use the GM bumper filler piece (I believe it's metal as well), if you can it's probably easier to have a shop weld a piece across the top.

I prefer the SS rear bumper to the other 2 choices, but I like the 06+ LT style as well.

This isnt it is it??? Its foam! New Bumper Absorber Rear Chevy Chevrolet Trailblazer GMC GM1170212 25939880 | eBay

What would it be from this pic? Lol, this cant be that hard to find :crazy: :bonk:

View attachment 26424

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJCcFCdYIsPe-BQtpOOfB6!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJCcFCdYIsPe-BQtpOOfB6!~~60_57.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 16

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Im looking at different online parts dealers and ebay. They say some sideview mirrors wont fit on certain years, thats all baloney right? Any year mirror will fit and mount on any year trailblazer right? I would find it very hard to believe GM would change the sideview mirrors for any reason due to cost effectiveness of mass production and mounting versitility.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Im just using amber trailer lights lol and ill just mount em where I want. Fireman4215 came up with this awsome mod, so all props to him :thumbsup:

This isnt it is it??? Its foam! New Bumper Absorber Rear Chevy Chevrolet Trailblazer GMC GM1170212 25939880 | eBay

What would it be from this pic? Lol, this cant be that hard to find :crazy: :bonk:

View attachment 12390

You want item #9. You can see it in this thread (first pic) here: http://gmtnation.com/f33/my-ss-conversion-6666/

GMPD calls it a "Center bracket CHEVROLET, 2006-09 SS" $36

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Porkins said:
You want item #9. You can see it in this thread (first pic) here: http://gmtnation.com/f33/my-ss-conversion-6666/

GMPD calls it a "Center bracket CHEVROLET, 2006-09 SS" $36

Thanks Porkins, that was really helpful. I saw an SS on the road today and I do like the rear end. I guess they look different in pics to me *shrug*. The rear ends seem to be easier to find and less expensive than the front end, though thats not saying much, but I hope I can get a good deal on it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online