Replacing Pads & Rotors, Front & Rear

Chickenhawk

I find the OEM pads (which Akebono are) to give me a slightly softer pedal than what I like. They are better than the worn pads but I sure liked the Adaptive One for both life and feel. Brake pads actually contribute a lot to the feel of the braking.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
Also, NRS now makes their own line of proprietary pads.
Went to Nucap's website after reading this, but it's geared more toward h/w and backing plates, not ready-to-install pads.

Would you have a link to an application lookup? As you may recall, I installed the Adaptive Ones on my Envoy, based on your recommendation, and love them. However, NAPA doesn't carry AO's for my pickup (RPO JH6, 9900lb brakes)

If I could find a set for my Sierra, I'd swap them out before I head for points west w/ trailer in tow.

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
This is an interesting "White Paper" Quality Tech Article from EBC (British, I suspect...but the Science being discussed crosses all National Borders) on the subject of "How to Choose The Best Big Brake Kit" if you eventually decide to increase the size of your Rear Disc Brakes from other GM Truck Line Series to help "cool things down on the slopes..."

Chickenhawk

On the Nucap page, click on NRS Brakes or go to nrsbrakes.com. They don't have an application for our 360 platform but seem to cover a lot of pickups. I have never tried them so can't make any judgements.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
On the Nucap page, click on NRS Brakes or go to nrsbrakes.com. They don't have an application for our 360 platform but seem to cover a lot of pickups. I have never tried them so can't make any judgements.
Found them - D784 on nrsbrakes.com (thanks!) 👍

As it turns out, NAPA now lists them on their site (@ half the price, too). Although they're listed as D785, there.

And I learned something new today - the manufacturers of brake frictions use a standard parts naming system - the FMSI 'D-number', which you can read more about here if you're so inclined.

Chickenhawk

I am going to try the new Raybestos Element 3 pads. With new calipers and rotors, I will be able to compare them back-to-back with the Akebono ProAct pads. The Akebono are fine, and give the OEM feel, but I just find them a little soft for pedal feel. Initial bite is good, which is what I experienced when I put them on the first time. But I am very sensitive to brake feel, and the Raybestos Element 3 pads are considered an "upgrade" over OEM. We will see.

As always, I did a lot of research. One doesn't get something for nothing of course, and better braking performance usually comes at the cost of reduced life, increased rotor wear and increased noise. This is why I rejected Power Stop Z23 and Z36. The EBC pad was tempting and lots of users report noticeable improvement in stopping power but they also wear fast. The Element 3 seems to get consistently high reviews.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
aczlan