Replacing Pads & Rotors, Front & Rear

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Also, NRS now makes their own line of proprietary pads.

Went to Nucap's website after reading this, but it's geared more toward h/w and backing plates, not ready-to-install pads.

Would you have a link to an application lookup? As you may recall, I installed the Adaptive Ones on my Envoy, based on your recommendation, and love them. However, NAPA doesn't carry AO's for my pickup (RPO JH6, 9900lb brakes)

If I could find a set for my Sierra, I'd swap them out before I head for points west w/ trailer in tow.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is an interesting "White Paper" Quality Tech Article from EBC (British, I suspect...but the Science being discussed crosses all National Borders) on the subject of "How to Choose The Best Big Brake Kit" if you eventually decide to increase the size of your Rear Disc Brakes from other GM Truck Line Series to help "cool things down on the slopes..."

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
On the Nucap page, click on NRS Brakes or go to nrsbrakes.com. They don't have an application for our 360 platform but seem to cover a lot of pickups. I have never tried them so can't make any judgements.

Reactions: mrrsm and Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
On the Nucap page, click on NRS Brakes or go to nrsbrakes.com. They don't have an application for our 360 platform but seem to cover a lot of pickups. I have never tried them so can't make any judgements.

Found them - D784 on nrsbrakes.com (thanks!) 👍

As it turns out, NAPA now lists them on their site (@ half the price, too). Although they're listed as D785, there.

And I learned something new today - the manufacturers of brake frictions use a standard parts naming system - the FMSI 'D-number', which you can read more about here if you're so inclined.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I am going to try the new Raybestos Element 3 pads. With new calipers and rotors, I will be able to compare them back-to-back with the Akebono ProAct pads. The Akebono are fine, and give the OEM feel, but I just find them a little soft for pedal feel. Initial bite is good, which is what I experienced when I put them on the first time. But I am very sensitive to brake feel, and the Raybestos Element 3 pads are considered an "upgrade" over OEM. We will see.

As always, I did a lot of research. One doesn't get something for nothing of course, and better braking performance usually comes at the cost of reduced life, increased rotor wear and increased noise. This is why I rejected Power Stop Z23 and Z36. The EBC pad was tempting and lots of users report noticeable improvement in stopping power but they also wear fast. The Element 3 seems to get consistently high reviews.

Reactions: mrrsm

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Raybestos Element 3 pads are going on tonight. Because they are rated GG for friction, I wanted a new set of rear pads as well, and found the new Bosch QuietCast pad is also a GG.

This time, I am going with AC Delco full coated Advantage rotors on the rear. I usually stick with AC Delco Professional on the fronts but the rears contribute much less braking. Plus, the AC Delco Advantage Coated is simply a renamed rotor, also distributed as the NAPA Premium coated rotor and the Bosch QuietCast premium rotor.

I will let everyone know once I get these pads bedded in properly. The Akebono ProAct were fine and less than half worn, but they were just a bit softer than I like. We will see if the new Raybestos Element 3 knock the Adaptive One pads off my list of best pads I ever tested.

Mechtr0nik

Aug 20, 2015
Raybestos Element 3 pads are going on tonight. Because they are rated GG for friction, I wanted a new set of rear pads as well, and found the new Bosch QuietCast pad is also a GG.

This time, I am going with AC Delco full coated Advantage rotors on the rear. I usually stick with AC Delco Professional on the fronts but the rears contribute much less braking. Plus, the AC Delco Advantage Coated is simply a renamed rotor, also distributed as the NAPA Premium coated rotor and the Bosch QuietCast premium rotor.

I will let everyone know once I get these pads bedded in properly. The Akebono ProAct were fine and less than half worn, but they were just a bit softer than I like. We will see if the new Raybestos Element 3 knock the Adaptive One pads off my list of best pads I ever tested.

Hey​

Chickenhawk. Do you have any updates on those pads? My brakes are getting close to being replaced.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This time, I am going with AC Delco full coated Advantage rotors on the rear.
I can add that at the dealership I work at, that's all they use on everything unless it's not available. Makes sense with the salt here. Why ACDelco put them in their Advantage line instead of painted Professional, I don't know. Cheaper for us though. However I would stick with the Professional pads, even in the rear. For the extra few bucks, why not.

Reactions: mrrsm

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The Raybestos Element 3 pads on the front were just what I wanted. They are slightly firmer than the Akebono pads, and have proved to be long wearing and problem free. The Bosch QuietCast pads on the rear squeaked at low speed for months until they were more worn. It is harder to tell the 'feel' of rear brake pads because they don't contribute much to braking power.

Regardless of the pads, they should be bedded in properly. There are conflicting methods and lots of people will say not to bother, but I have a long history of driving high speed cars, and this is what I do. Do five or six gentle stops from 60 to about 20 a few seconds apart to get them heated up. Then, when the road is clear, do three HARD stops from 100 to 10 KPH in a row. (Don't come to a complete stop.) Then drive for 10 minutes without touching the brakes.

Once you have bedded the pads, find a gravel road and do a couple of hard stops that engage the ABS. This will remove the softness in the brake pedal.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For the Full Size GMT-800 Trucks...THIS is the Correct Brake Pads Bedding Method:

(1) Find a Safe, Level remote (Low Traffic) area.
(2) Accelerate to Only 20 MPH.
(3) Apply MODERATE BRAKE PRESSURE.
(4) Decelerate GRADUALLY to around 5 MPH and Release Brake Pressure.
(5) Accelerate again to 20 MPH and Perform this Same Method 30 Times in a ROW.
(6) Do NOT Apply Excessive or Extreme Braking to any Sudden STOPS.
(7) Do NOT allow excessive time in between the 30 Brake Pedal Pressings.

This Method will ensure a proper seasoning of the Disk Brake Platter surfaces without generating so much HEAT that the Disk surfaces will either Craze or Crack and ensure a Long Life of the Pads and the Disks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just use the 30/30/30 method. 30 near stops from 30 MPH with 30 seconds in between. Works for me.

Mechtr0nik

Aug 20, 2015
Thanks, Glad to hear there going well, They most likely will be my next pads. I hope they have a firmer feel and a better bite than the Wagner oex pads.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online