Quad Bi-xenon retrofit? woot woot!!!

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Sparky said:
Like I said, there's a reason I didn't go for quad projector low beams. Single projector on each side is plenty, and none of the alignment irritations going on either.

been looking at a few ideas for the civic retrofit I'm gonna do after I get the car, and I'm seriously considering a one piece fiberglass shroud with whatever design I want and one big projector in each headlight :yes:

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Thought I'd throw up a couple of the quad I am finishing for member Grey Thunder. Its git fx-r low and mini h1 high. Waiting for a couple parts to button them up.
uby9e6u5.jpg
4amyvu4y.jpg

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Very nice work as usual. Now I am wishing I would have went with a quad retro, but it was not in the budget at the time. I could have if did not have to buy a new set of LT headlights that cost me another $330 on top of the retro. FX-Rs are a great choice, I am running the same and I am very happy with their output and the color at the cutoff line :thumbsup:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I won't do another quad, simply because I KNOW that I'll find something that doesn't line up perfectly and it'll bug me as much as this does now lol

When I do my next, though, BIG projectors and a crisper cutoff! :yes:

Just don't know when my wallet will start talking to me again after new tires AND a new battery within 2 weeks :hissyfit:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Grey Thunder said:
Im stoked to put these bad boys on! They are going to look BA with the hood i plan on getting!:thumbsup:

... and that would be which one now? You can't leave us hanging! :no:

Grey Thunder

Jan 11, 2013
Well I noticed the other day a chunk of my front bumber cover is missing so I have to replace that< and I thought well while im at it Im going to have all the dents pulled out and the TB repainted. He is going to paint all that crapy grey plastic body colored along with the handles and mirrors and such. So I might as well get a sweet hood too huh? lol

Attachments

• trailblazer hood.jpg
    trailblazer hood.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 52

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Grey Thunder said:
Well I noticed the other day a chunk of my front bumber cover is missing so I have to replace that< and I thought well while im at it Im going to have all the dents pulled out and the TB repainted. He is going to paint all that crapy grey plastic body colored along with the handles and mirrors and such. So I might as well get a sweet hood too huh? lol

I'm still confused about what the "bad boys" are that's going with the new paint and hood? lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
NinjuhhNutz said:
I'm still confused about what the "bad boys" are that's going with the new paint and hood? lol

:deal: Please see the last post from Smitty... That should explain things. :raspberry:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:deal: Please see the last post from Smitty... That should explain things. :raspberry:

:duh::diggrave: c'mon man...it was like a pretty picture book with all those "words" in them! No one reads the words! We just drool at the pics :rotfl:

seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing output pics of those! The combo should compliment each other nicely :yes:

Grey Thunder

Jan 11, 2013
Im also thinking about putting HID projector for the fogs as well. I don't know how that will turn out tho because the fog holes are pretty big. I have 4 inch fog lights in there right now and the biggest projector I could find was a little under 3 inches. So we shall see how that turns out.:thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grey Thunder said:
Im also thinking about putting HID projector for the fogs as well. I don't know how that will turn out tho because the fog holes are pretty big. I have 4 inch fog lights in there right now and the biggest projector I could find was a little under 3 inches. So we shall see how that turns out.:thumbsup:

Are you looking to retrofit the stock OE LT fog light or are you looking for a sealed projector to replace the OE fog lights all together?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grey Thunder said:
I have the Street Scene bumper cover with the circle fog light cutouts. So all that is aftermarket.

Oh ok. I have never seen that bumper and had to do a google search. Looks sweet. Projector fogs will go well with your quad retro.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Grey Thunder said:

You could retrofit the projectors into a 4" housing, and just put a shroud over them (trimmed of course) :yes:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Grey Thunder said:

Blckshdw said:
You could retrofit the projectors into a 4" housing, and just put a shroud over them (trimmed of course) :yes:

:iagree: TRS has projectors that are small enough to fit just about any fogs. I can't recall the name of them, and I'm heading out the door for work. But, it's very possible. THAT, I would LOVE to see :eek:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
:iagree: TRS has projectors that are small enough to fit just about any fogs. I can't recall the name of them, and I'm heading out the door for work. But, it's very possible. THAT, I would LOVE to see :eek:

You must be thinking of the BI-XENON: MORIMOTO MATCHBOX 2.0. It is their smallest projector and they claim it is best used in fog light retro applications. I am sure you would have to use some sort of splitter to activate the solenoid for the hi beam with the fogs. Would be pretty sweet to have fogs with hi and lo beams.

They are also offering BMW X5 OE LED fog lights for half the price of the matchbox. They are slightly larger by a few mm.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dmanns67 said:
You must be thinking of the BI-XENON: MORIMOTO MATCHBOX 2.0. It is their smallest projector and they claim it is best used in fog light retro applications. I am sure you would have to use some sort of splitter to activate the solenoid for the hi beam with the fogs. Would be pretty sweet to have fogs with hi and lo beams.

They are also offering BMW X5 OE LED fog lights for half the price of the matchbox. They are slightly larger by a few mm.

I've been looking at those BMW fogs, but haven't found a good enough excuse to pull the trigger and mess with them.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Blckshdw said:
I've been looking at those BMW fogs, but haven't found a good enough excuse to pull the trigger and mess with them.

Looks like they are on the closeout list and according to their site, there are only (10) left in stock. I am assuming after these are gone, they will no longer carry them. $60 is cheap for BMW OE equipment. Plus they are LED, right up your alley.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was reading their thread on HID Planet, that's how I came across them. They had gone out of stock before, bunch of the regulars over there snatched them up, and then they reloaded. I don't even use my fogs now as it is. The HID bulbs are still in em, but I took the ballasts out. :crazy:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:

Indeed, sir...always got my back haha
just a pair of splitters and some extentions (if you want to do it "the right way") and you're golden.
High beam fogs (I'd hope 4300 and below would be used in them) are gonna be insane with the quads...I'm kinda excited to see the end results lol

Blckshdw said:

Bimmer bulbs? haha why not? at that price, it's almost worth the experiment!

::checks wallet:: still don't have enough for my 22"s yet :hissyfit:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Did you do that group buy for the 22"s? I think NorCal set it up.

I messaged the guy on here that was doing the list, but he hasn't replied yet...I'll hit up NorCal and see if they've done the order yet. THOSE are the rims I really want...so, we'll see

Grey Thunder

Jan 11, 2013
Oh great now you got the wheels turning in my head!! Hmmmm retrofit fogs?? That could be interesting but i may just stick with some projectors and call it good. I just dont know what color i want. I kind of want to match the bulbs that will go in the retrofitted headlights which i think was 6000k but i kind of want the yellow one for more of a Euro look. Decisions decisions!!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grey Thunder said:
Oh great now you got the wheels turning in my head!! Hmmmm retrofit fogs?? That could be interesting but i may just stick with some projectors and call it good. I just dont know what color i want. I kind of want to match the bulbs that will go in the retrofitted headlights which i think was 6000k but i kind of want the yellow one for more of a Euro look. Decisions decisions!!

I was in the same boat. I went a head and purchased a set of 4300K and 3000K HID bulbs for my fogs. The Morimoto 3Five HID bulbs run $45 a pair. I have to say for functionality, I like the 4300K over the 3000K. Seems the 3000K did not light up the road as well and I could tell no difference in bad weather either.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I was thinking to retro my fogs but one of the bolts that keeps the drivers side fog on is rusted and I tried to put some vice grips on the little stud sticking out and then use a wrench to get it off but it doesn't budge. Even pb blaster isn't breaking it loose. Damn thing.

I have my old 42mm futurevision projectors I took out my first retro job and replaced with 64mm futurevision projectors and was thinking to re-use the 42's in my fogs but looking at the depth I don't even think thats possible. It looks wayyy too shallow for the projector.

As for how people are talking about the temperature light they bought. I currently run 6000k 50w bulbs and love it. Because of the extra wattage they are not blue at all other than the cutoff line and when you look at it straight on. On the road its pure white and I can even see it on things in broad daylight. lol. I have 4300k, 35w bulbs in my fogs and they are a little bit whiter than halogen but not by much. When I put them to 50w they are more pure white. I also ran 8000k 50w bulbs in the low beams and they had a very very faint blue hue to them, almost like the color of this emoji :wink: but a little more faded. They were okay but not peak performance like my 6000k 50w's are. Now each manufacture has differences in their temperature rating so I can't always say to get 6000k 50w bulbs like I did but if the manufacture is close to futurevision then I say go for it. Trust me, you won't regret it.

What I was thinking of though is to check the depth of my backup lights. They currently have vled 5000k bulbs in there and I was thinking maybe if they fit to put my old 42's in the backup lamps and just get some nice halogen bulbs because waiting for HID's is just not worth it for how long I am in reverse. Or maybe even get some H1 LED bulbs. That wouldn't be bad either. Damn it and me wanting to screw with things. lol.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
yea man...we kinda sorta feed each other's mod bug around here :thumbsup:

and I want 4300k fogs, when I scrape up the cash for it :hissyfit:

I try to stay away from threads like this just to avoid disturbing my mod bug from its nap..........though i have a bad feeling that once i get the parts from Dmanns its gonna wake up...:eek:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
kickass audio said:
I was thinking to retro my fogs but one of the bolts that keeps the drivers side fog on is rusted and I tried to put some vice grips on the little stud sticking out and then use a wrench to get it off but it doesn't budge. Even pb blaster isn't breaking it loose. Damn thing.

I have my old 42mm futurevision projectors I took out my first retro job and replaced with 64mm futurevision projectors and was thinking to re-use the 42's in my fogs but looking at the depth I don't even think thats possible. It looks wayyy too shallow for the projector.

As for how people are talking about the temperature light they bought. I currently run 6000k 50w bulbs and love it. Because of the extra wattage they are not blue at all other than the cutoff line and when you look at it straight on. On the road its pure white and I can even see it on things in broad daylight. lol. I have 4300k, 35w bulbs in my fogs and they are a little bit whiter than halogen but not by much. When I put them to 50w they are more pure white. I also ran 8000k 50w bulbs in the low beams and they had a very very faint blue hue to them, almost like the color of this emoji :wink: but a little more faded. They were okay but not peak performance like my 6000k 50w's are. Now each manufacture has differences in their temperature rating so I can't always say to get 6000k 50w bulbs like I did but if the manufacture is close to futurevision then I say go for it. Trust me, you won't regret it.

What I was thinking of though is to check the depth of my backup lights. They currently have vled 5000k bulbs in there and I was thinking maybe if they fit to put my old 42's in the backup lamps and just get some nice halogen bulbs because waiting for HID's is just not worth it for how long I am in reverse. Or maybe even get some H1 LED bulbs. That wouldn't be bad either. Damn it and me wanting to screw with things. lol.
Yea I was looking at the VLeds, I just can't justify dropping that much cash on reverse lights, when I have other things I want to do right now lol like get my 22"s, finish my AR build, etc etc
Darkrider_LS said:
I try to stay away from threads like this just to avoid disturbing my mod bug from its nap..........though i have a bad feeling that once i get the parts from Dmanns its gonna wake up...:eek:
acceptance is the first step :raspberry:

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
The V-led's are nice but they changed their models and they lost some light output as a result

I only had 1 bulb die on me but I think it was the internal resistor or something because instead of being bright it would flicker and eventually only went to a dim light, kinda like your running lights do until you put on your turn signal or press your brake.

They are really nice though for backing up with, they really light up the path a lot better than halogen. The only thing I had a problem with was those damn SRCK bulbs we have for the stop light and running light in the taillights. I bought 2 pairs of CK stop lights and the bottom light worked fine but when I put the CK in the middle light it wouldn't light up no matter which way I had it so that is the only light in the rear for the running light that I had to keep as a halogen. I tried putting a standard led in the running light back there in the middle and it worked fine until I pressed the brake then it blew the VEH STOP fuse in the back. Every other bulb for my dome lights, turn signals, etc is LED but that middle running light in the tail lights. :hissyfit:

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Just throwing my .02 out there... when I did my FX35 retrofit, I used the following alignment method, I thought it went pretty well.. the toughest part was finding a leveled parking lot with a wall... just thought I share this, if other methods aren't working out...

JnC's Mounting Method (with Rotational Adj Capability)

Pic of my projector in place with Upgrade lens from retrofit source removed....

Attachments

• FX35.jpg
    FX35.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 8

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:goodpost: Like a boss!!! Several times when I was doing my alignments, I was trying to think of a way to do exactly what you did. Obviously with the TB lights built the way they are, you wouldn't be able to make any adjustments once they were sealed up. I was trying to think of some kinda worm gear drive accessed from the backside of the headlight, and all other kinds of off the wall stuff.

That's pretty sweet though, would have made things so easy if we could do that with our lights. :yes:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I wish we could have used this method on our retros :frown:

and it also makes it a helluva lot easier to adjust the way you want when you use the centric rings to mount your shrouds...my shrouds screwed on to the back of the projector housing, which made it a PITA
and I wasn't aware of that limitation until I got them in and looked closer at them

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
A couple more pics of my setup... the sealer I used is the type you can heat up and take apart... I have full capabilities of adjustment once the Headlight is sealed up, all I have to do is remove the headlight from the truck, and with an allen key make the adjustments... I did the retrofit back in 2008 I think, I have not had one issue... using 85122cm bulbs...

Attachments

• 100_5148.jpg
    100_5148.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_5155.jpg
    100_5155.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Sealer - 10909164dc4mv.jpg
    Sealer - 10909164dc4mv.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 7

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
you didn't have any problems with your headlights getting filthy on the inside? I know mine are NASTY and I'm gonna re-open and clean them up, and re-seal them better...or did you cover that massive hole in the back?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:duh: Completely dump the reflector bowls, which took up the most time trying to get those shaped and (un)seated repeatedly, and mount the projector directly to the base. I never even considered that. And with both bottom bolts being adjustable, that gives you your vertical, as well as rotational. How much flex do you have with that upper mount? Got any closer shots of that?

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
you didn't have any problems with your headlights getting filthy on the inside? I know mine are NASTY and I'm gonna re-open and clean them up, and re-seal them better...or did you cover that massive hole in the back?

My bad, I thought I had shared that pic as well... I have had no problems, used some ABS plastic and molded it to cover the big hole, using some Silicone and screws to secure it in place... about 24 hours after using the Nissan sealer to close up the headlights, I also applied some of the clear silicone around the lights to seal them up... the only hole on the headlight is the vent hole that came from the factory...

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 9

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
KNBlazer said:
My bad, I thought I had shared that pic as well... I have had no problems, used some ABS plastic and molded it to cover the big hole, using some Silicone and screws to secure it in place... about 24 hours after using the Nissan sealer to close up the headlights, I also applied some of the clear silicone around the lights to seal them up... the only hole on the headlight is the vent hole that came from the factory...

Damn...I like that!
gotta finished pic of the front view? I'm curious as to how it looks with nothing in the high beam spot...that was the reason I went with the quad in the first place, didn't like the mixed look

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online