Quad Bi-xenon retrofit? woot woot!!!

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:duh: Completely dump the reflector bowls, which took up the most time trying to get those shaped and (un)seated repeatedly, and mount the projector directly to the base. I never even considered that. And with both bottom bolts being adjustable, that gives you your vertical, as well as rotational. How much flex do you have with that upper mount? Got any closer shots of that?

I initially was going to try and use the bowl, but after breaking the first one and then thinking about it a bit further, it was going to be crammed in there, so I tossed it....this is the only pic I have of the top...

Attachments

• back 2.jpg
    back 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 13

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
Damn...I like that!
gotta finished pic of the front view? I'm curious as to how it looks with nothing in the high beam spot...that was the reason I went with the quad in the first place, didn't like the mixed look

this is the finished product, I ran out of time & to top it off, received the wrong size ABS plastic from eBay... so I sealed them up... I had said I would get back to it after my semester was done with.. I thought for sure I would have problems, but since I never did, I left them alone...

Attachments

• Finished 2.jpg
    Finished 2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Finished 1.jpg
    Finished 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: dmanns67

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
Damn...I like that!
gotta finished pic of the front view? I'm curious as to how it looks with nothing in the high beam spot...that was the reason I went with the quad in the first place, didn't like the mixed look

there are a few videos on Youtube on how a vacuum is used to mold a cover for the projectors, unfortunately I didn't search for those until after I had finished, otherwise I think I would have taken that route... they use plexiglass, I think...

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
So, is the interior of the headlight sprayed with anything? or is that just from the angle?
and a shroud covers the empty high beam spot? I had several ideas for taking up that empty room, but wouldn't work because of the reflector bowl.
::COUGH COUGH:: if I had access to, or a friend with a vacuum table ::COUGH COUGH:: my retro would have turned out COMPLETELY diff :eek:

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
So, is the interior of the headlight sprayed with anything? or is that just from the angle?
and a shroud covers the empty high beam spot? I had several ideas for taking up that empty room, but wouldn't work because of the reflector bowl.
::COUGH COUGH:: if I had access to, or a friend with a vacuum table ::COUGH COUGH:: my retro would have turned out COMPLETELY diff :eek:

I don't think I sprayed anything inside, it's all ABS plastic, heat molded to cover up the insides...

when I ordered my projectors from the retrofit source, sales dude convinced me on also buying their upgraded lens, which gives me a purple/blue cutoff... I had also bought from them their FX35 chrome shrouds, but they didn't work out, one of them I dremeled too much so it would fit inside, not being happy with it, I ended up tossing it ...

the shrouds that are in there now are some that I picked up at Ace Hardware as a last ditch effort of making things look half way decent, I ended up using the original lens that came with the projector...

ConeKilrAutoX said:
BAD ASS :thumbsup: I really like that look!

thx...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
KNBlazer, you feel that poking feeling on the side of your head? That's me trying to pick your brain, so don't mind me. :biggrin:

Can you describe how the top mount works? How much vertical adjustment does that allow you to play with? I figured you probably tried to get the projector as close to where you wanted it from the start, but in the case of being hard headed and doing quads, being able to raise and lower one side vs the other is huge.

As for the vacuum table, luckily I didn't drop kick that bitch in a fit of rage (best believe I thought about it multiple times though) because I knew I was going to try it again at some point (meaning next retrofit) The 1 piece shroud idea I had would come in handy here, have it combined with the bezel. Just need to save up more money after getting the retrofit goodies, build some bigger frames and get bigger sheets of acrylic, then go to town. Sounds easy right? :banghead:

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Blckshdw said:
KNBlazer, you feel that poking feeling on the side of your head? That's me trying to pick your brain, so don't mind me. :biggrin:

Can you describe how the top mount works? How much vertical adjustment does that allow you to play with? I figured you probably tried to get the projector as close to where you wanted it from the start, but in the case of being hard headed and doing quads, being able to raise and lower one side vs the other is huge.

As for the vacuum table, luckily I didn't drop kick that bitch in a fit of rage (best believe I thought about it multiple times though) because I knew I was going to try it again at some point (meaning next retrofit) The 1 piece shroud idea I had would come in handy here, have it combined with the bezel. Just need to save up more money after getting the retrofit goodies, build some bigger frames and get bigger sheets of acrylic, then go to town. Sounds easy right? :banghead:

Vertical adjustment: to tell you the truth, a lot of movement... first, when I initially installed them and fired them up, they were as if they were the high beams... after I adjusted them, the cutoff line was about 10-15 feet from the front bumper... about a quarter turn or so is the way to adjust the vertical beam...

Vacuum Table: yeah, sounds easy enough... lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm actually happy with the projector alignment, but I don't like the black on black of the assemblies. They need some contrast or some kind besides just the yellow of the halos.

My passenger side has a tiny leak, going through the car wash resulted in a little bit of water in the bottom. But due to a couple days of FL sunshine, it evaporated on it's own, since I don't have the caps on the back of the bulb openings. Wanted to reseal that one all the same. Having another issue with the switchback module on the driver's side. The first one was fine for months, and then started making the parking light flicker. Had some spares from splicing 2 strips together on each side. This second one, sporadically upon startup in the dark, the white LEDs don't come on, but the amber ones will be flickering instead. A quick toggle of the light switch fixes it, but since I have one more left, might as well splice that in.

Haven't quite figured out what I'm gonna do color wise yet, maybe try color matching the bezels. I can think about that when I'm taking stuff apart. Guess I better check and see how much paint I've got left first... :undecided:

Grey Thunder

Jan 11, 2013
Blckshdw said:
I'm actually happy with the projector alignment, but I don't like the black on black of the assemblies. They need some contrast or some kind besides just the yellow of the halos.

My passenger side has a tiny leak, going through the car wash resulted in a little bit of water in the bottom. But due to a couple days of FL sunshine, it evaporated on it's own, since I don't have the caps on the back of the bulb openings. Wanted to reseal that one all the same. Having another issue with the switchback module on the driver's side. The first one was fine for months, and then started making the parking light flicker. Had some spares from splicing 2 strips together on each side. This second one, sporadically upon startup in the dark, the white LEDs don't come on, but the amber ones will be flickering instead. A quick toggle of the light switch fixes it, but since I have one more left, might as well splice that in.

Haven't quite figured out what I'm gonna do color wise yet, maybe try color matching the bezels. I can think about that when I'm taking stuff apart. Guess I better check and see how much paint I've got left first... :undecided:

I vote for color matched bezels. Just my opinion!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
KNBlazer said:
Leave your truck alone, it's suffered enough:biggrin:...lol

:tongue: I think this is the longest I've gone without modding it, since the early days when I first bought it.

Grey Thunder said:
I vote for color matched bezels. Just my opinion!

That's probably the route I'll go. That'll be the easiest really. If I hate it, I've got plenty of gloss black to go back to how it is now.

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I was at the gym when I got the email lol smh saw the pic of the front of your TB and sighed a little to myself.
I REALLY need to open mine up and clean them/reseal them properly. A daring spider found it's way in my driver's side housing :hissyfit:

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
I used this RTV Silicone after I used the Nissan Sealant that you heat up...haven't had any leaks... almost 6 years... I don't take it to the automatic car wash though...I wash the truck at a self service car wash....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397863379740.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397863379740.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 12

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, I use the same brand, but the ultra black. I think there's a small spot on the inside cut behind the crossbar. For whatever reason, heating adhesive doesn't work for me, so I go straight to the Dremel and have a tube of RTV handy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online