Power folding mirrors

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Very cool, and welcome! I love schematics. Even better would be to make it a one-stop resource, and put in a note for the function (time-delay relay and DPDT relay) for those elements.

cameeks

Jun 23, 2012
What amps do the motors actually need? If i know the power draw i would sit down and try to make an all in one box. I think 30 amps is a little high for the motors.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I believe Roadie posted something like 200mA on the other site, or was it 500mA? :undecided: Either way, they don't need very much.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yeah, I measured it because I was going to do it with FETs. Well under an amp until the motors stall. But if your circuit doesn't have any end-of-travel stall detection, then there needs to be just a few second timer (in the TDR) so somebody doesn't hold the switch down forever and overheat the little tiny motors.

Shownmyss

Jun 11, 2012
Which wires/colors on the switch did you use for??? The wiring diagram is a little hard to read. Thanks!!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Shownmyss said:
Which wires/colors on the switch did you use for??? The wiring diagram is a little hard to read. Thanks!!!

I assume you are talking about the one from the PDFs in the Manuals thread? This one was posted on the OS, and may be a bit easier to read if you click on the pic to view it full size.

switchandddm-pdmschema.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Shownmyss said:
The mirrors are only $ 68.60 for the pair now on e-bay was $118.

Got links?

Make sure they are actual power-folding mirrors, and not power-glass mirrors, that you have to fold in manually. :twocents:

Shownmyss

Jun 11, 2012
That was the first thing I checked. I was watching these for a while and they relisted them for the lower price.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, I had that set in one of my Watchlists for a reference. That price drop must have been in the last day or so. Only drawback is no turn signal, so you'd have to wire up your own, although if you're doing this mod, hooking up turn signals would be a cake walk. :yes:

Shownmyss

Jun 11, 2012
I bought some clear turn signal lenses a few months ago. I installed them but haven't wired them in yet so no biggy. I found the thread on how to do this so no big deal. Great deal on the mirrors though, only 4 sets left.:thumbsup:

Spalding1028

Jan 20, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, (my electronics knowledge is quite rusty) but wouldn't you want the extend/retract controls on pins 8/9 of the switch relay? unless the coil pushes the switch away when given +12v, if that's the case, then ignore what I just posted.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Spalding1028 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, (my electronics knowledge is quite rusty) but wouldn't you want the extend/retract controls on pins 8/9 of the switch relay? unless the coil pushes the switch away when given +12v, if that's the case, then ignore what I just posted.

Edit: :duh: My bad, looked at the wrong relay. When the door switch it set to neutral, the relay will be in the state shown in the pic, and operate the folding function. When it's twisted to either the driver's side or passenger side, it activates the relay, opening the circuits so the mirrors stay stationary, but the mirror glass moves.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DFWWIZ said:
Ok these are power mirrors and they fold, but these don't power fold like on the Silvy's.

The CV35EL & CV35ER that are listed, are the Kool Vue part numbers for the power folding mirrors they sell. :twocents:

bkredhead

Jul 30, 2012
cameeks said:
I worked a couple of days trying to get this right for my first post on this forum. Using all the pics and help from Blckshdw I came up with this. Hope it helps.:popcorn:

LINK

Foldingmirrors.jpg

Good evening, I'm new to the forum. I like the schematic, but I have a question. Where do the Extend+/Retract- and Extend-/Retract+ leads go after the polarity switch? I'm assuming they would tie into the DDM/PDM, but I want to be sure before I fry something.:helpme:

Spalding1028

Jan 20, 2012
bkredhead said:
Good evening, I'm new to the forum. I like the schematic, but I have a question. Where do the Extend+/Retract- and Extend-/Retract+ leads go after the polarity switch? I'm assuming they would tie into the DDM/PDM, but I want to be sure before I fry something.:helpme:

If I'm not mistaken, they go to the actuators (motors) that extend and retract the mirrors. I haven't done this mod yet, but that'd be my first guess

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
what do you mean? blckshdw's outlined how to wire them...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Maybe he meant 'operational' as in 'for sale to people who don't wanna make em on their own'? :confused:

Firebear

Jun 14, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Maybe he meant 'operational' as in 'for sale to people who don't wanna make em on their own'? :confused:

LOL sorry yes, i was wondering if anyone was able to be successful in building a plug and play set up.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
To turn the schematic into a product would mean a sale price of at least $100, and the target market would naturally require a lot of hand-holding and phone support, so if it was me, I'd charge $200 and nobody would buy it. YMMV.

Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
The_Roadie said:
To turn the schematic into a product would mean a sale price of at least $100, and the target market would naturally require a lot of hand-holding and phone support, so if it was me, I'd charge $200 and nobody would buy it. YMMV.

If this was a true plug and play system with harness and connectors no tapping of wires i would pay 400.00 for it. :smile: I really like the folding mirrors and even agree when key is on they should open. i live on a tiny one way street and folks tend to fly down it. i imagine one day i will see a missing mirror...

Hell if it were to be offered cheaper that's even better.

Thanks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bill05EnvoySLT said:
If this was a true plug and play system with harness and connectors no tapping of wires i would pay 400.00 for it. :smile: I really like the folding mirrors and even agree when key is on they should open. i live on a tiny one way street and folks tend to fly down it. i imagine one day i will see a missing mirror...

Hell if it were to be offered cheaper that's even better.

Thanks

:undecided: I don't see a completely drop in, plug 'n play kit as a possibility. Long explanation short, we'd need to add connections to harnesses that the required modules don't have connections for, and get the BCM reprogrammed, which isn't a cheap proposition by itself. Your best bet is to read, learn, understand, and then try the mod for yourself. :yes:

A few members have done this mod, or stripped down versions, that suited their needs, so I'm sure you can too! :cool:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Due to an in-law who doesn't know how to back up, I need to replace my passenger mirror, and I'm thinking of going full-throttle for the power-folding mirrors. One thing I am wondering though -- do all of the different mirror styles use the same connector inside the door? Can I install the power-folding mirrors now, and wire up the actual functionality at a later date? I can't seem to find anything that shows the plug for my current mirror (memory + turn signals) to compare to the plug on the mirror with the full folding + heat functions.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Thanks Roadie!

I found some mirrors that are power-folding, heated, with clear/smoked turn signals -- however they do NOT appear to include the memory function and I don't see any listings that have both the power-folding and the memory function. Does anyone know if this is a module I could easily remove from my existing mirrors and plug into the new mirrors? Or know of the correct GM part numbers for a mirror that has everything?

jpimp

Feb 1, 2013
Shdwdrgn said:
Thanks Roadie!

I found some mirrors that are power-folding, heated, with clear/smoked turn signals -- however they do NOT appear to include the memory function and I don't see any listings that have both the power-folding and the memory function. Does anyone know if this is a module I could easily remove from my existing mirrors and plug into the new mirrors? Or know of the correct GM part numbers for a mirror that has everything?

When I played around with this idea...I found that the aftermarket non gm ones don't have the same guts as gm mirrors...so it's not possible to take the memory sensor from a gm mirror and put it into a non gm mirror.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
FYI, some part numbers I have found...

GM1320316/GM1321316 -- Amber lens, heated, power-folding, no memory
GM1320349/GM1321349 -- Clear lens, heated, memory, manual folding, smooth finish.
GM1320350/GM1321350 -- Clear lens, heated, memory, manual folding.
GM1320394/GM1321394 -- Clear lens, heated, power-folding, no memory

I can't seem to find anything that has both power-folding and memory functions. :frown:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Where is the memory module located in the mirror? :undecided:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Where is the memory module located in the mirror? :undecided:

Not sure if you're being serious, but with all the checking I've been doing into part numbers, most are listed as either having the memory function, or being a non-memory mirror. I assume the actual memory is controlled by the BCM, but there are sensors in the mirror to tell the computer the exact position of each mirror?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was being serious. Due to giving my mirrors the 2 tone paint job, I've given mine a complete tear down. My stock mirrors were the plain Jane, no frills types, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the memory function, it's hardware, etc.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The memory function is controlled by the BCM, with commands sent through the DDM and PDM. The mirror simply needs to include position sensors (potentiometers), but since it involves the BCM, adding memory function to a vehicle that doesn't have it won't be trivial.

I suspect the GM part numbers for a mirror that supports all features will be in an export-only list I haven't seen since Compnine died.

My power folding mirror with all the hardware included for memory, which my BCM supports, was a Cool-Vue aftermarket one from Ebay. On it, the mirror is wavy and I'm not pleased with its quality. But the power folding is cool and functional for offroading near trees and rocks.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Fortunately I do already have the memory function (and turn signals) in my existing mirrors, so there's nothing to add to support it -- however I also don't want to lose that feature! I have no problem with gutting my old mirrors to add the sensors to new mirrors with the power-folding, but that obviously won't work if the mounting points for those sensors don't exist. My goal is memory, power-folding, and clear signals. Heated defrost would be nice too. But I don't want to have to buy two complete sets of mirrors to add features, and my existing passenger mirror can't be used as a base to add the power-folding function since the pivot was destroyed.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Right, since he said he currently has the memory feature, I figured it would just be a matter of swapping the position sensors over. And from his bumper thread, I know he's not afraid to jump in the deep end of the mod pool. We just have to figure out what has to get swapped over and how to get it connected. :thumbsup:

I think I got lucky, my mirrors were advertised as Prozone, I wanted to avoid the Kool Vue issue with the wavy glass. But when they showed up, they were Kool Vue. :mad: Fortunately the glass was flat, and other than a busted turn signal lens screw mount, they have been fine. They make things quite convenient when people park too close to the lines in parking lots and you need to squeeze through. :yes:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah but jpimp mentioned above that aftermarket mirrors don't have the same internals and simply moving the sensors over may not be an option.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online