Progress thread for my 03Burb Z71

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok, almost a year ago to the date I was in an accident and totalled my 05 GMC Envoy SLT.
It was cherry but the car gods saw fit to take her from me! I found a good priced, good condition 04 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. fully loaded. good deal for me insurance paid for the upgrade :tongue:
Although a year later my wifes 97 explorer has sprung a massive coolant leak from a broken bolt in the water pump that has snapped in the block. it will be repaired but not fast enough to use for the upcoming winter months.. so long story short brother in law had an 03 Burb Z71 package. I got it for 2500. (Family discount) lol below is the current diagnosis and progress thread i will try to keep updated as much as possible. yep! I'm Back! Miss me?

the problems are minor so to speak, he's already had the brake line fail so he had all of the steel from master cyl to each wheel the, all rotors, brake pads and calipers all replaced. everything is brand new including the 4 tires on it. Waterpump replaced, thermostat and fluids, and new dash guage cluster replaced.
Things i've found so far is the following. i'll make another progress thread when i get some headway going.

1 front hub bearing bad (fixed 11/29/15)
2, rear wiper motor not functional (fixed 11/26)
3 front wiper washer pump not functional (Fixed 11/26/15)
4. service airbag light on
5. Sun roof wont close (closed 11/26/15- Fixed 11/30/15 - purchased used one to install later)
6. radio has dam buzz from right rear speaker (same disturbing issue in my old 05 envoy.. (Fixed Maybe? Smacked center Console near Rear audio controls 11/28/15 hasn't returned since)
7, blower motor has chirp like a bird at low speed (going bad- bearing i think) (Fixed 11/26/15)
8. I think problem with digital climate control wont switch to floor and blows cold then hot from defrost. (Reset from battery disconnect now seems to be fully functional-Fixed 11/26/15)
9. On star doesnt call home (cant get it to connect but it will check number, minutes ETC.. ) (11/30/15- Solution OnStar is only digital, I need to get unit upgraded to use analog/Digital Services _Not sure if im going to pay them for this )
10. Temp guage on mirror shows 0*C all the time tried to set to F but still shows OC- (Diagnose- After headliner down I reconnected wires and it worked for all about 2 min, then went OC again (OC - Open Circuit). maybe a bad ground some where in the truck. hard to tell where though i think its all related even to the Airbag services. )

The Good!
Brakes new all 4 corners
Tires new all 4 corners
Body in excelent condition
Motor and Trans excelent condition
4X4 fully functional

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like those trucks. Little TLC and you got a good deal

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Does this 03 have the cabin filter? maybe some debris is in the fan cage. easy enough to fix then :tongue:

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
ok so today 11-26 went to the bone yard, What a score today. Got a new Fan for blower motor, easy to pull, they twist out nice..scored a sun shade for the sunroof. Scored blower motor, scored circuit board for rear wiper assembly, scored washer resevoir for wiper pumps. (not so nice to get to) also got the sun roof assembly.
Today I fixed rear wiper motor, finally got it working...
got the blower motor replaced, (no cabin filter in my 03 burb, dam...
replaced washer bottle and pumps, what a pita..tested and good.
readjusted the passenger wiper blade, the arm was not adjusted correctly and slammed the plastic base when they would drop.
I got the Sunroof closed almost sealed but still have a little gap, think the rubber is bad.
still got plenty to do but its a good start.

Reactions: xavierny25 and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can adjust the height of the glass in the closed position. If it's anything like on the TB, loosen the 4 screws that holds the glass to the mechanism and adjust for correct position. Or is this still the broken one?

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Still the broken one, havent gotten the new on yet. has to be pulled from the junk yard one.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Well More done.
11/29/15 Got a used hubbearing from an 01 Burb (this one seems to be my parts donor in the yard lol) had them pull it for 15$ put that on last night. I cant beleive the F'n moron who cranked down on the exisiting hub bearing so much an impact wouldnt take it off, i used a breaker bar jumping on it and still could not get it to break free. had to use a steel pipe for the extra leverage and standing/Jumping on it to get it to pop enough for the imact to pull it off. Um I'd say they crushed the bearings inside shame too, didnt look that old either.But that being said, finally transfered all over to the (New / older hub) and the wonderful road hum at speed is gone!!!! Thank god. Now I do have a question, These GMT's do they always feel like its loose in the steering wheel? I mean to say very touchy and responds to the littlest of input.
Stay tuned for the Sunroof assembly. I have about 2 hours tonight where the kid is in dance and I'll be in the lot waiting for her. Will I get it done in 2 hours? stay tuned bat kids and find out what happens next ! :tongue:

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok,so update,, 11/30/15. Took the kid to her two hour dance class. Guess what I got removed and installed in that time frame? Yep I busted that job out in two hours, minus a few trim parts I had the head liner back up and stable enough to drive it home and finish the little things like push tabs, trim plates. And for one minute the temp gauge in the mirror worked then went open circuit again. But moving forward.

Reactions: Matt

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
I'm just glad I estimated my time correctly. No small task in a parking lot in darkness in rain. Lol my ideal working conditions.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok so I have done my research and have ordered the following
http://store.xmfanstore.com/complete-sirius-install-kit-for-gm.html
http://store.xmfanstore.com/bluetooth-add-on-module-for-complete-sirius-xm-radio-install-kits.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14182019739...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=141820197392&_rdc=1
Looking to also get the CDX Cable for external 6disc CD changer slim style to mount under climate controls.
but this will offer me the features I want and still keep it Factory looking.
Now to find a Nav Disc or image to test with.. Anyone know if its DVD format?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm a member of the MHH Auto forum whick posts a lot regarding vehicle software like GPS Disks. Have a look and send me the links to the posts to get the download links.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Update 12/4/2015
Purchased and installed I-simple gateway and I-simple Bluetooth with XM radio interface. simple plug and play run an antenna and Mic in the A-pillar she is connected. now to just get used to the options and menu access keys.. hit this, hit that and press 4 5 times lmao.. not that hard but a little bell curve to get into options. not very well documented but it does work and works well. clear audio no HISS, alt wine ETC. Waiting for the NAV touchscreen (factory unit) to arrive should be in the mailbox Monday morning.. Going to tap hot wire under the overhead console to give me a 12V socket so I can wire up my charger and tuck excess wire in headliner. this way I don't have wires hanging from mirror to outlet in console.already found a constant hot in the sunroof (keyed) so I don't have to worry about it draining. After payday I'll clip one from the yard and install in headliner should be an easy mod.

Tonight I hope to have the touchscreen in (as long as I dont get the theftlock symbol loaded) ill have it almost complete, just need teh external cd changer and cable as well as the NAV antenna and cable.(still to purchase them and mount them)

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok, Update 12/8/2015...
Navigation unit was possibly coming in Saturday, Didn't happen. I finally got my Express 2 day mail 4 days later lol.. Anyway, I did install the TNR unit and it works flawlessly in ACC mode. tested speakers, touchscreen and verified lights and all other options. One thing I found annoying was my RES was not functional. appears that when the power is commanded from the back seat it amps the front up considerable. but there is no audio or digital display on the rear controller. (honestly not a deal breaker but my daughter is not happy)
So my question is this. when the Vin is relearned will it also program for a suburban with rear audio? so it will accept the inputs?
Also another little issue. I have the Isimple gateway with Bluetooth adapter. I can not add the CD changer to this system with additional cables. This is due to me adding XM/Sirius to the systems as well. That however does work well. so does the bluetooth and the caller ID and such does display nicely on it.
Gotta get someone with tech2 or clone I need to get the system unlocked. I hope I dont have to resort to dealer for this as its expensive and money I cant really afford to spend.

Is it possible that the radio needs to be programmed for a vehicle with rear audio? is this something that occurs when the tech 2 is connected? I know this radio works as i can test it but it was not an option for my year vehicle..

Still trying to get a copy of the navigation Disk... I know the proper way would be to buy it BUT... Can you justify to your wife the cost of 200 for a disk outdated by 3 + years now? I cant.. and after they stop supporting the disk it should be free.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More than likely, it does need to be programmed with proper options and VIN. Haven't done it yet on an OEM unit since I just install aftermarket HU's.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
ok so more today.. its the little things now but still progress.
12/10/15 Got the new head unit in, called around to several dealers who will reset the Vin (relearn Process) they are all highway robbers!!!! quotes from 90 to 140. finally spoke to one of the techs and he told me to call a dealership out in Willow Grove PA about 30-40 min opiset direction from their dealerships... even gave me the number... Well brought the burb in , they were surprised at the overall condition of the truck for being a 2003, that being said the guy said he just tried to reset a nav unit yesterday and it failed. I told him he needed to go into the menu options for a 2005 Chevy suburban and go into the optins for a nav unit relearn. he did and less then 5 min later it was good to go.. It took longer for them to write up the work order then to actually get it reset. lmao..
Then I had 2 of the service guys standing around it, discussing what i had just accomplished. I told them i had researched the different part numbers, what would fit and work. and guess what the one guy says he has a 08 trailblazer. says he wants to keep the truck but considered putting in a nav unit. i told him he should not have any issues and that because my truck didnt have an option for the nav i had to cheat the tech2 into thinking it was stock. anyway they were impressed that it worked and it was clean looking I think the guy will investigate it further. BTW, the Isimple bluetooth and XM modules interface awesome with it. displays well and everything works as it should except the rear audio controls.. i assume the radio came from a pick up that didnt have rear audio.

I'm happy its good and I have all the presets and options the lux systems have. Midrange is there too.
Now on to the next bothersome issue.. the Airbag system I'll be getting one of the sensors from the junk yard saturday after i get both of my vehicles inspected.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
So did you tell them about the site? They can learn more from here.

Reactions: dmanns67

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Of course I did. Dont know if he will check it out or not he owns an 08 trailblazer but seemed interested.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
ok so 12/12/15
Been a pretty dam busy morning..
Gotta say thank you GROUPON.... as my luck had it, My expedition inspection expired at the end of Nov. and as luck would have it, was forced to get the chevy. I like the truck but dam, both trucks need inspection. So anyway, I have the stereo in and vin cleared, I still have the air bag issue but after finding the code with the software on the laptop. I found it to be the front right bumper sensor. this is good, Got both trucks inspected for 79.00 total. and both trucks need nothing so to speak, I did fix the air bag system. so now that annoying light is off. Do need to replace the rear center high light. just one more thing I gotta find in the yard..

So I think its about time to show off the hard work..
I'll post pics of the truck.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
So here is a few pics of the new ride..
I did clean it yesterday as well.
2015-12-12 16.44.05.jpg 2015-12-12 16.43.47.jpg 2015-12-12 16.44.23.jpg 2015-12-12 16.44.46.jpg 2015-12-12 16.45.19.jpg 2015-12-12 16.45.43.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Not that there is much love for the Fords on this forum I own it, I'll share it!
My ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2015-12-12 16.46.28.jpg 2015-12-12 16.46.49.jpg 2015-12-12 16.47.09.jpg 2015-12-12 16.47.30.jpg

Reactions: SnowBlazer and Matt

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok so I've finally slowed the pace down a bit.. no real issues to deal with right now.. Funds are um extremely tight.. lol
So my next plan is to add some additional factory options they have/had for my Z71... I want to add factory heated seats.. add the memory functions for seats and the like. Also want to swap out the manual passenger seat for a full power and upgrade my drivers seat to full power (8Way ) I think it is.

So thoughts or ideas? would this be a direct bolt in and plug and play?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a crapshoot as to what wiring might be there. Only way to know is to look, If the wiring is there, it might work if you get the DDM to go with it.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
any part numbers for me to look at (DDM) assuming its the control module for memory and heated seat controls.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
OK So not so much done to the Burb this weekend but did get some things accomplished.
I Pulled the PCV Valve, or what I assumed was the valve just to learn that the 5.3 doesnt exactly have a PCV its more like a hollowed out PCV with a very small diameter hole drilled in the bottom.. I went to pick a replacement and thats when i found out it was hollow.and to think they want like 8 -10 bucks for a hollow peice of metal.. Lol.. anyway cleaned mine, pulled throttlebody, cleaned it well, got the IAC and TPS cleaned good. was able to get a good carb cleaner in the hole for IAC let it sit for a few seconds and then dumped it.. truck Idles much better also did the SeaFoam in the Intake and an entire can in the tank.. I did get a ton of Smoke and yeas I'm aware its just the residue from seafoam burning off but it also means I got plenty in the cylindars to saturate the carbon deposits and helped clean out the intake to a degree. seems to respond a bit better now too. did an Oil change with Full synth oil and K&N oil Filter. (not that the K&N is a huge deal) just happen to come with the deal for the synth oil change.

So a friend of mine who is not very well to do or mechanically enclined, called me with a few car issues.
runs like shit, stalls and wont start needing jump and no power.
Background- 2003 Ford Windstar 3.8Ltr.
So a few months ago I Pull IAC, cleaned and re-installed- Fixed his AC system, and replaced his Alt-got a battery from a junk yard and replaced the Coil pack.also replaced the front 3 plugs as they were the easiest to get at, weather was getting bad told him we would get the rest later , well fast forward 6 months and he comes calling again. this time the IMRC bushings on the electronic controller all were blown out hasnt opened the butterflys in over 6 months. and like above running badly. pulled IMRC motor installed new bushings, pulled and replaced battery as he had so much corrosion on it I assume it killed the battery. cleaned up corrosion nice solid contact now. Pulled wiper assembly and replaced the back 3 plugs, The front plugs were bad but I never seen a car run on plugs this fowled before..
IMAG0096[1].jpg
Needless to say he had a better running motor or so we thought.. I hooked up to the scanner and ran another DIAG, It now pops a P0171 and P0174 code..
Guess what I get to do.. I get to pull the intake and replace isolator bolts, and lower gaskets and clam shell gasket.. yea me! also dud hasnt done an oil change since he bought the car two years. Oh and overflow bottle on fender had water in it and froze so now its cracked and also needs to be replaced. total neglect on this van.. and the Van's heater is on the fritz due to actuator malfunction and dude doesn have a pot to piss in.
So my charity case.. I looked up all parts vacuum lines, pcv, oil flush, oil and filter, gaskets and cleaners and bolts all come out to a grand total of 146.and change.. he seriously needs it and even though he cant afford much he donates his time and his van to help the food banks in our area by picking up all their food thats donated to them by the local supermarkets. so Its for a good cause. I'm trying to scrape up some cash for him and I'm doing all the work for free so. hope we can get this done quickly.

Reactions: Matt

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Well I have to apologize, I've been a little busy the last couple of months, got some construction to the house going on, some new appliances and new stereo equipment.. all this time just plain forgot to update my Progress thread. please see updated progress

1. 1 month ago, so lets say March 17 had to replace both front shocks, bought bilsteins yep your all correct they are very nice and comfortable in the ride.
2. March 17, also had to pull the front hub bearings, replaced them both and torqued to 160Ft Lb. could not get to the spec of 177. my wrench doesn't go that high.
Fast forward a month
3. April 9, 2016 - replaced tubing for washer reservoir to rear wiper (appeared to be cracked)
4. 4/9/16 - replace washer bottle with new pumps behind battery tray.
5. 4/9/16 - replaced outside temp sensor but still hasn't fixed the issue with temp reading on my mirror, still shows OC.
6. 4/16/16 - A/C non functional (weather not bad yet but need to be proactive- pulled out the gauges, hooked up and system all but empty less then 6lbs pressure (potentially residual from gas expansion) so purchased o-ring kit, purchased new dryer and away I go- pulled front grill replaced all seals on front end, tore apart all A/C lines Low and high pressure sides replaced all seals , pulled orifice Tube, looked clean as a whistle (great news compressor hasn't imploded) replaced anyway for GP. ran an A/C flush though entire system pushing out the dye and oils from all lines including compressor- put in new dryer, reconnected all hoses after flush evaporated and sealed up system. here's the sucky part. borrowed a friends AC vac, put in fresh oil, went to connect to my system and the dam fitting on the vac was for the wrong system. cant use this to pull a vac. DAM...now what to do? Pulled out the trusty Compressor and venturi vacuum, was able to pull the system down to -25 not perfect but dam good for venturi.
Waited about an hour and no drop in pressure (vac) so feel confident the system is sealed good and tighht. now the real fun happens.. connect the first can (oil charge PAG 100) it draws in (duh of course its under a vacuum) but now I crack the first can of 134a, it starts to go in but compressor never engages.. (High Point here ) #snowflake A/C button (GM PITA) was unaware it was backwards on my truck for 2003- changed in 04 (my system digital climate ) apparently GM sets A/C to ON by default and when you hit the snowflake button its to disable the A/C Compressor in 04 they put it the way it should have been to Engage the A/C - so anyway after replacing the High pressure and Low pressure limit switches (both were rusty and replaced as part of the rebuild) well now I have the compressor engaging. cool. I have 134a entering the system it pulls in 4 cans (12Oz) no problems. i see the pressure where it shuld be on my guages and its cycling properly lines getting hot and cold like they should and my temp gauge shows 41* in the vent (not a very hot day either. fully charges and good to go. both front and rear A/C functional now.
7. 4/17/16 - Fun Times - Pulled all wires and plugs. took about 1.5 hours actually not as bad as I initially thought for this. plugs seemed to be worn a little they did have proper plug (AC delco's) gapped a little on the small side under .040 , proper gap was supposed to be depending on your source .040-.060 and i had all of the replacement plugs at .043.
8. 4/21/16 - Since I suffered from the same issue everyone else does with this year suburban, i could not let the fuel go below 1/4 tank or it would not start (seemed to be starved for fuel) so I did what any normal guy would do. I dropped the tank! lol pulled old (original) fuel pump out, bought AC Delco replacement pump and new retaining ring too. installed and truck starts with less then 1/4 tank yea!!!
9. 4/23/16 - replaced fuel filter - one of the easiest jobs yet! Thanks to May03lt for letting me know Via his Youtube video about the stubby line release tool.
10. 4/23/16 - replaced fog lights, marker bulbs, turn signal bulbs, and DRL bulbs. all old and dim.
11. 4/23/16 - could not figure out why the E-brake would not work. pulled rear brakes, purchased new e-brake kit and pads. cleaned up a bit of rust under the rear rotor, lubed up the orifice for new hardware and re-installed new clips and all. at its lowest setting the hardware is grabbing a little but after reassembly it appears I now have an E-Brake functional yea!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online