Power folding mirrors

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That's why I asked where the ones on your stock mirrors are. "Different" might be moddable, where you can fab up some mounts, or a deal breaker. Without knowing where/how your sensors are mounted, there's no starting point.

Here's the only pic I took that somewhat shows the inside where the glass motor mounts.

PaintedMirrors.jpg

Reactions: dmanns67

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
jpinoy said:
That link seems to not work anymore, but I did save that page, at least the first page offline :smile:

What fuse did you add to the add-a-fuse going to the relay? I'm going to attempt this mod this weekend if I got enough time...
IgnitionTap.jpg
I moved your post over to the main thread, so all the info you were searching for is here. As for the fuse I added, it was just a 2A fuse. Very little current draw needed to trigger the relay, so you don't need a big one.

Reactions: jpinoy

jpinoy

Jul 31, 2013
Blckshdw said:
I moved your post over to the main thread, so all the info you were searching for is here. As for the fuse I added, it was just a 2A fuse. Very little current draw needed to trigger the relay, so you don't need a big one.
Thanks Blckshdw! :thumbsup:

Went over your initial 'how-to' and looked over cameeks take on the wiring and gave it a go. Finally got it done and loving how it auto folds :celebrate:.

I'll add my take on cameeks wire diagram for my hook up, there were some changes as my DPDT had different # for the pins. Also did a quick vid, posted it to youtube, nothing special.. haha.. :biggrin:
Power folding mirrors schematic1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHQpI9lv8xk

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
jpinoy said:
Thanks Blckshdw! :thumbsup:

Went over your initial 'how-to' and looked over cameeks take on the wiring and gave it a go. Finally got it done and loving how it auto folds :celebrate:.

I'll add my take on cameeks wire diagram for my hook up, there were some changes as my DPDT had different # for the pins. Also did a quick vid, posted it to youtube, nothing special.. haha.. :biggrin:
attachicon.gif
Power folding mirrors schematic1.jpg

http://youtu.be/cHQpI9lv8xk
Thats awesome :thumbsup: Very nice install and how-to video. NIce touch with the LED turn signals running as parking lights with a separate strip for the turn signal.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:goodpost: Nice job Jay, and thanks for the shout out. Also liking the LEDs, but I'm a little biased. :2thumbsup:

jpinoy

Jul 31, 2013
Thanks guys, video could of been better, but that was an afterthought.. :smile:

Semborski

Apr 1, 2014
Any thought on the kool-vue mirrors? Also I don't have factory turn mirrors or heated and I've seen how to add the turn, but can I utilize the mirrors heating ability? I haven't been able to find any threads on this topic. Thanks

jpinoy

Jul 31, 2013
Semborski said:
Any thought on the kool-vue mirrors? Also I don't have factory turn mirrors or heated and I've seen how to add the turn, but can I utilize the mirrors heating ability? I haven't been able to find any threads on this topic. Thanks
I like the koo-vue that I picked up. Got it off eBay as a pair for $105 back in Jan.(still see them for that price). But, the first set, one had a broken mount on the mirror for the turn signal and the other, near the sail part, tip was broken off. Sent the one back with broken turn signal, as they told me to keep the other one and they will send a replacement as well. Long story short, I ended up having 2 with the sail part(tip) broken off and got 2 good ones, so I had a spare set. Gave those to my dad, he has an Envoy :tongue: and wanted the turn signal, but has yet to install it.

These have a different texture from the originals, so I'm thinking of painting them.

From what I understand, the control module that it plugs into, already have the pins for it(pop out your module and you should only see 1 pin missing where the mirror plugs into) and I looked at mine and it did. I didn't have turn signal mirrors or heated either. I originally did the turn signal mod just like how it is now in the video before getting the power folding/heated mirrors.

I tested the heat on the mirrors and it works fine, comes on when you turn your rear defroster on. I had heated mirrors in another vehicle I own, didn't realize how much I missed it during the winter months :biggrin:

dtudja2j

Jan 2, 2013
I took the time to search all the parts I would need IF I got enough interest and was able to buy in bulk. **Please keep in mind that this will take some knowledge and ability to take the door panels off and simple wiring and also running a couple wires through the door boots to the mirrors** The Install will be at your own risk but I will provide as much information as I can on the DIY write up to make it as easy as possible. I will test each set up out on my truck before I ship them to make sure they function properly. I've had the mod completed on my truck for a while now and they work great. Very cool feature. **You will also have to switch out the painted plastic piece when the mirror arrives but I will provide a DIY with pictures for that as well, very easy, involves about 5 clips** I am thinking I could do these in two ways, (1) Auto Folding Only = Mirrors open when key is turned to ignition, Mirrors close when key is removed from ignition, (2) Auto Folding & Manual Folding = Mirrors open when key is turned to ignition, Mirrors close when key is removed from ignition AND Mirrors can be Power Folded by using the OEM Manual Switch already in our truck.. (Involves wiring in an extra DPDT Relay and four extra DIY wire hookups for you located in the driver side door panel) I personally never use the manual switch but it might be useful for some of you guys.

The price point would likely be as follows:

Option 1 (Auto Folding Only) : $325/Shipped - Includes Two (RH/LH) Power Folding Mirrors, All components (relays, Etc.) and wiring needed to hook up the power folding mirrors. DIY Write up including pictures on how to hook mirrors up to the Truck. (You will have to switch out the Clear Turn signal Lenses with your own since these mirrors come with an Amber Plastic Cover where the lense goes)

Option 2 (Auto Folding Only) : $425/Shipped - Included Two (RH/LH) Power Folding Mirrors, All Componenets (relays, Etc.) and wiring needed to hook up the power folding mirrors. **Includes New Clear Corner Turn Signal Lenses installed** DIY Write up Including pictures on how to hook the mirrors up to the Truck.

Option 3 (Auto Folding & Manual Folding) : $375/Shipped - Includes Two (RH/LH) Power Folding Mirrors, All components (relays, Etc.) and wiring needed to hook up the power folding mirrors. DIY Write up including pictures on how to hook mirrors up to the Truck. (You will have to switch out the Clear Turn signal Lenses with your own since these mirrors come with an Amber Plastic Cover where the lense goes)

Option 4 (Auto Folding & Manual Folding): $475/Shipped - Included Two (RH/LH) Power Folding Mirrors, All Componenets (relays, Etc.) and wiring needed to hook up the power folding mirrors. **Includes New Clear Corner Turn Signal Lenses installed** DIY Write up Including pictures on how to hook the mirrors up to the Truck.

Let me know what you guys think. Any input or questions welcome. Thanks

Reactions: CDJuda

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
I would totally buy a set if your needing pr-orders, assuming the install instructions are idiot proof.

dtudja2j

Jan 2, 2013
Its would pretty idiot proof as long as you are capable taking your door panels off and running two wires in each door through the door boots. Also you need to connect four wires in the driver door panel and two under the dash amd your done. Which option would you be looking at?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Whew, this thread has been dead for a hot minute! My previous setup has worked great for many years, but I've had to make a couple of minor changes to the logic since then. For those who are comfortable designing circuits, the changes are minor, but for everyone else... I finally got around to making a proper schematic, although the ones that @cameeks and @jpinoy made were great!

I added a kill switch to stop the auto folding feature, and for some reason my OEM mirror switch wasn't pushing enough juice to run the mirrors, especially when the alternator wasn't running, so I added two more 5 pin relays tied to 12V, and used the mirror switch signals to trigger those relays instead.

So here's the parts list, and schematic for my current setup. (some of the wire colors aren't showing up very well, couldn't find a way to thicken the lines in the software :frown:)

Diodes: 5
5 Pin relays: 3
DPDT relays: 2
DEI 528T timer relays: 2
Kill switch: modder's choice, I used a momentary push button
Connectors: modder's choice

Power%20Folding%20Mirror%20Logic%203.0.jpg

onephattsi2

Nov 10, 2014
Whew, this thread has been dead for a hot minute! My previous setup has worked great for many years, but I've had to make a couple of minor changes to the logic since then. For those who are comfortable designing circuits, the changes are minor, but for everyone else... I finally got around to making a proper schematic, although the ones that @cameeks and @jpinoy made were great!

I added a kill switch to stop the auto folding feature, and for some reason my OEM mirror switch wasn't pushing enough juice to run the mirrors, especially when the alternator wasn't running, so I added two more 5 pin relays tied to 12V, and used the mirror switch signals to trigger those relays instead.

So here's the parts list, and schematic for my current setup. (some of the wire colors aren't showing up very well, couldn't find a way to thicken the lines in the software :frown:)

Diodes: 5
5 Pin relays: 3
DPDT relays: 2
DEI 528T timer relays: 2
Kill switch: modder's choice, I used a momentary push button
Connectors: modder's choice

Power%20Folding%20Mirror%20Logic%203.0.jpg
I know this is old as heck. But would it be possible to send a higher resolution of this? I have one of the older setups In my LS currently and would love to have a switch to kill the auto fold because in the winter it struggles to open when it's cold. Thank you!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know this is old as heck. But would it be possible to send a higher resolution of this? I have one of the older setups In my LS currently and would love to have a switch to kill the auto fold because in the winter it struggles to open when it's cold. Thank you!

Whew, yeah this thread is pretty dusty. Sorry, I don't have any better pics of the schematic, but if all you're looking to do is install a kill switch to stop the auto fold feature, you don't really need it. Just splice in a switch on the trigger line to the relay that feeds your auto fold function. Easy peasy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online