Performance steering rack?

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if I have ever seen anything about this before. Are there any performance steering rack options for the Trailblazer? Are they any mods that would give a better, tighter steering feel?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if I have ever seen anything about this before. Are there any performance steering rack options for the Trailblazer? Are they any mods that would give a better, tighter steering feel?
Use a rack & pinion from a TBSS or EXT. The EXT has a slightly quicker steering ratio, but the TBSS is the one you'd want for a drastic difference. It's quite pricey though, not worth it IMO. Don't buy an A-1 Cardone or any other non-OE brand from what I've researched in the past on this. Seemed on TBSSowners that the consensus was just go with the OE ACDelco when they had to replace their rack & pinions.

TBSS rack & pinion:
ACDELCO 19330462 (GM #19207780) - NON-VARIABLE P/S(N40); EXCEPT SPORT PERFORMANCE package(B4U)

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
By "drastic difference," how does that translate on the highway. I haven't ever had much of an issue with the stock TB but of course being a lifetime student in the art of handling, I am always open to stuff like this if it is a real improvement and doesn't just make it more twitchy.

That link you did on Rock Auto appears to be the same unit for the 4.2, 5.3 and 6.0. Is this correct?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
By "drastic difference," how does that translate on the highway. I haven't ever had much of an issue with the stock TB but of course being a lifetime student in the art of handling, I am always open to stuff like this if it is a real improvement and doesn't just make it more twitchy.

That link you did on Rock Auto appears to be the same unit for the 4.2, 5.3 and 6.0. Is this correct?
I haven't driven a TBSS so I couldn't say how much of a difference there really is between the steering responsiveness in comparison. I'm just going off of data between the various P/N's. My assumption is that it'd just be twitchier. Would be something to consider maybe if you do Autocross, don't see the point for a daily driver.
All the units are interchangeable with any GMT360 apparently, excluding 2002. 2002 had the 14mm tie rods.

Reactions: xavierny25

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks! Topics that include the word "performance" always catch my eye. (Unless it's a Civic forum, talking about fart can mufflers and Chinese-made anodized parts that have the unique qualities of being illegal, expensive and dangerous all at the same time.)

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
IIRC you lose almost a full turn lock to lock but the bias at center is roughly the same. The sierra has roughly 3 turns to lock where my truck is almost 4. I notice and and like the quicker steering of the truck better. I can keep my arm on the door turning onto blocks unlike in my truck... the SS unit is also low friction.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online