Online gamers post here.

markmc

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I need help..
My kids older 60gig PS3 has blue screen and noise from hard drive.
When searching for a new ps3 system what should i be looking for?

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
markmc said:
I need help..
My kids older 60gig PS3 has blue screen and noise from hard drive.
When searching for a new ps3 system what should i be looking for?

I'm an xbox guy but both my brothers bought the 160gb for $249 and they seem pleased with them. Target has a decent black friday deal if i recall. You can also unload that old on ebay for a decent buck, i guess the older models can play ps2 games so "techy" people fix em up for that although I don't know much about it Good Luck!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mark, it may be something as simple as needing to replace the hard drive. That was something I did in my 1st gen PS3 (had the 50GB drive as well) Got online and grabbed a 300GB laptop drive and put that in so I could store music, videos and download a bunch of stuff. :dance:

markmc

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I didnt know a laptop hard drive would fit..thanks for the tip!

Are the new ps3 consoles backward compatible? cus my kid has like a couple hundred ps2 games..
Seen several black friday adds, might hit up wally world..
He also has the 360 xbox, and Wii but prefers ps3

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
markmc said:

Are the new ps3 consoles backward compatible? cus my kid has like a couple hundred ps2 games..

No the new ones are not backward compatible.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
markmc said:

He also has the 360 xbox, and Wii but prefers ps3

Well damn!! You guys wanna adopt me? I need someone to buy me some toys!! :rotfl:

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
markmc said:
THAT SUCKS!
Gamestop gives crappy trade in for used ps2 games..

Check the almighty Best Buy I think they do a little better on trade ins because you have the option of store credit and let's face it we can all use more money for electronic goodies:smile:

markmc

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Bub said:
Check the almighty Best Buy I think they do a little better on trade ins because you have the option of store credit and let's face it we can all use more money for electronic goodies:smile:

Thanks for that tip, but the nearest best buy is 30min drive..:frown:
Gamestop is only local game store in our area..:frown:

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
GTA V Official Trailer - YouTube

I don't know if we can embed youtube videos but as long as we are talking video games I have to plug GTA 5...I believe they are talking about a May release date :wootwoot::wootwoot:

Bub

Nov 21, 2011

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
With him having a bunch of ps2 games I would try to find some to rebuild it even if you had to ship it back and forth. I hate that my ps3 is not backwards compatable

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Honestly, you can buy a PS2 in the pawn shop for 20 bucks, so I wouldn't worry about that much. Hell, I am still playing on a generation 1 PS2. :eek:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
PS2s are cheap. Buy the replacement PS3 and then a PS2.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
djthumper said:
PS2s are cheap. Buy the replacement PS3 and then a PS2.

Can you still buy a new ps2 or can you only get them used?? I bought one used from Gamestop and it was a pile of shit, i'd hate to see anyone waste money on a overused and outdated game consule

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
used, I think the only place that has them right now is gamestop though. :frown: But I think you can get a warranty from them on it.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Bub said:
Can you still buy a new ps2 or can you only get them used?? I bought one used from Gamestop and it was a pile of shit, i'd hate to see anyone waste money on a overused and outdated game consule

The ps3 is so much cheaper now and so worth every penny!!! I mean if you do not play games, you have the netflix if you use that, you have the blue ray player which is pretty big, you can go online with it etc etc. I love my ps3 and worth it! :yes:

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
as cool as PS3 is I still have to reiterate I'm an xbox 360 fan, as far as gaming goes I think it's the best one just throwing my two cents out there

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I like my Wii. I can't keep up with the games on the xbox or ps3.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
Regulator said:
I like my Wii. I can't keep up with the games on the xbox or ps3.

Wii is bad ass I love using the blaster when playing fps and wii sports as well, however mine wont spit games out of it for some reason :-(

markmc

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Bub said:

To my surprise..
Walmart has new ps2s @ $99

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
markmc said:
To my surprise..
Walmart has new ps2s @ $99

:eek: Now your $100 ps2 than $250 new ps3, I wonder if Sony will rebuild your faulty ps3:eek:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I guess my boys make out with me being a gamer. I just need to get an new Xbox 360 with the kinects. I haven't decided if I just want the 4 GB or go for the 250GB.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
"I guess my boys make out with me being a gamer" UH...PHRASHING!!!

go 250gb, you can install games onto the hd. which even though you need the disk to play it wont spin the optical drive while you play therefore the system runs cooler and quieter.

OFF TOPIC, are you guys up just for the hell of it or is anyone a 3rd shifter??

markmc

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Bub said:
:eek: Now your $100 ps2 than $250 new ps3, I wonder if Sony will rebuild your faulty ps3:eek:

Well the PS3 he has, has to be just about at end of life cycle.. i`m amazed its lasted this long..lol
bought like 3-4 replacement remotes..

oh, and i see sony screwed up the last update.. bluetooth and wireless remotes now dont work after update of system..

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
djthumper said:
still up... but it is only 12:57am here. :biggrin:

ur out in Vegas?? I loved Nevada not a huge gambler but a big fan of the desert heat. One day I'll move out of the hell hole that is the Midwest

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
markmc said:
Well the PS3 he has, has to be just about at end of life cycle.. i`m amazed its lasted this long..lol
bought like 3-4 replacement remotes..

oh, and i see sony screwed up the last update.. bluetooth and wireless remotes now dont work after update of system..

hmm go figure ruining fixing something that isn't broke, are you sure it isn't made by HTC my cellphone is the same way "Incredible" is a loose term lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had played video games in months, but this thread got me motivated to fire up the ps3. Looks like I will be wasting more time in front of the tv now

markmc

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I had played video games in months, but this thread got me motivated to fire up the ps3. Looks like I will be wasting more time in front of the tv now

Its addicting..
But there are worse addictions out there..

Dont let Spyro die :rotfl:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
markmc said:
Its addicting..
But there are worse addictions out there..

Dont let Spyro die :rotfl:

:rotfl: Yes Spyro was a great classic!! I have three of those games on my ps3 (haven't really played them but yeah) lol

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Bub said:
ur out in Vegas?? I loved Nevada not a huge gambler but a big fan of the desert heat. One day I'll move out of the hell hole that is the Midwest

Yeah Vegas, I don't gamble much either. I stay away from the strip as much as possible but will met up down there when visitors are in town.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I'm surprised the thread has gone on this long without one mention of Skyrim. There I fixed it. I've gone without much in the way of sleep since it came out. (I have the PC version, none of this console silliness :biggrin:)

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I got tired of building a new gaming PC all the time.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
fishsticks said:
I'm surprised the thread has gone on this long without one mention of Skyrim. There I fixed it. I've gone without much in the way of sleep since it came out. (I have the PC version, none of this console silliness :biggrin:)

This is gonna sound bad but I don't even know what Skyrim is, everyone is playing it I have no idea.

markmc

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Wife was able to get a new 160gb PS3 console at wally world last night.
You guys will see my kid back online soon..

Should i just get another 2.5" hard drive for his old ps3?
The drive looks like it got way to hot..all the solder connections on the board are brown..:undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher