Off Road Setup help...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
We often go wheeling farther than that from home, to get to the good trails. Just sayin'.

1000+ mile roundtrips do happen.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
Cable810 said:
Ok then, why do you all prefer different shocks in the rear. Doesn't it ride odd with the different shocks?

What makes the shock operate is valving inside the shock. The shocks for our trucks appear to be all in the same ballpark valving wise. Accordingly they act similarly across brands and they compliment each other. We've started mixing up shocks purely to gain length while extended. None of the shocks currently available has gotten a consensus that they suck. So you're pretty safe with your choice. Additionally if you're using the stock shocks at 140k miles they are shot. Anything you put on is going to make a massive difference, and in a positive way.

You're being given good info that lots of guys have used for years.

Additionally the safety info you've been given is very relevant. Heed it. If something goes wrong and you can't walk to get help you're screwed. On the offroad site we've had several members stranded for hours in freezing temps... sometimes even with help.

You can install the lift with a surprisingly small amount of tools... it really doesn't make sense to modify something when you don't have a rough idea of it's workings.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:
Dj I would love to go to the meets but I live at least 4-5 hrs from most of the MI members and where they are meeting.

Plan one for your area!

It doesn’t have to be big; just a few other TB’s showing up facilitates information sharing, and network expansion. Even if you’re not able to travel, others can, and are often just looking for a reason to hit the road. Give it a try :thumbsup:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
shoot, if you stir the pot and get your lift ahead of time you might be able to sucker some guys in at the meet to install the lift and struts for you. Many of the offroaders have the tools on their truck to do everything except maybe the jack stands and spring compressors.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Spring compressors are at any parts store or sometimes mine are with me...

Jackstands can be as simple as a couple spare tires....

There have been several work/lift days at my place. For many of us it is a passion.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
walterc4553 said:
At one time there was a list of all the makes and manu for shocks for our vehicle on the OS. It was listed by stiffness and response rateing. If I can find that I will add it here. Found it.
From the OS

markarock said:
...it seems to shake out like this in terms of stiffness, from stiffest to softest:

• HD Bilstein aftermarkets for the Avalanche
  • OEM Avalanche shocks mounted on a Trailvoy
  • HD Bilsteins for the Trailvoy
  • TBSS shocks
  • OEM shocks for the Trailvoy
  • bungy cords
  • rubber bands
  • "Marshmellow Fluff® in a calking gun"
  • Blistein OEM shocks for the Trailvoy (with >100k miles)

Now this is only accounts for one characteristic for shocks. There are more like travel, length, rate of return.

If your parents are really making you stay with all one Brand they maybe consider the Bilstein HD for the Avalanche. It is longer so would not over extend when you do the lift.

Ammended

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm going to be getting the BDS 2" Lift with No rear Shocks. What travel length is recommended in the Rear? For the front I'm gunna do Bilsteins HD OEM Replacements. What Bilsteins OEM Replacment Avalanche shocks do I have to get? Will there be any modifications to the shocks/vehicle to get them to fit? My mom is a bit concernd with me lifiting it, just do to it making it a bit more top heavy.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
I'm going to be getting the BDS 2" Lift
After re-reading your post #17, I have to offer my condolences. If you're lifting the rear, your grandfather must have passed.
with No rear Shocks.
If you want the PROPER and OPTIMUM setup, just get the BDS shocks. They are meant to go with the kit, and will come with all mounting hardware for no issues on installation.
What travel length is recommended in the Rear?
The BDS shocks that are listed to go with their lift kit. Asking the same thing over and over again is getting annoying. After 87 posts in this thread, you've been given MORE than adequate advice.
For the front I'm gunna do Bilsteins HD OEM Replacements.
As you were advised multiple times.
What Bilsteins OEM Replacment Avalanche shocks do I have to get?
You do not want Avalanche shocks in the back, by Bilstein or anyone. Just get the Trailblazer Bilsteins if you don't need additional articulation, or BDS if you do want articulation. As a first time offroader, I predict you do not need articulation. If you come back and ask "what is articulation" that will pretty much prove you have no Google-fu.
Will there be any modifications to the shocks/vehicle to get them to fit?
Not if you buy the Trailblazer Bilsteins or the ones offered with the BDS lift kit.
My mom is a bit concernd with me lifiting it,
As we are also. As we are......
just do to it making it a bit more top heavy.
And the little issue of your grandfather......

Seriously, how many thousand miles do you have under your belt? Are you a confident driver under emergency lane-change conditions now? Are you certain you're ready to take it out and not roll it over when the center of gravity is higher?

I'm concerned that the quality of the questions you're asking is not evolving.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:
My mom is a bit concernd with me lifiting it, just do to it making it a bit more top heavy.

You know one thing I was told early on is that a good rule is to match the upward with outward, meaning as you lift widen the footprint to help with the new higher center of gravity. That also gives you a good a good reason to ask for wheel spacers, and bigger tires.

But I would think Mom should be more worried about the extra gas she’ll be putting in the tank after the lift.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I don't think he has used google fu, or done any reading of what we have discussed. He hasn't brought up looking at our build threads or the articles and what not that we have posted. There is a lot of experience that has been giving great advise. None of us wants to see anyone hurt from a lift or anything. I understand your parents concern, I too am a parent, but I feel their lack of understanding is getting in their way.

Here let me make it easier for you then since we have been discussing this in another forum. Since you keep coming back with everything let s just save you, your parents and everyone else some grief. Get your lift by getting 245/75R17 tires, which should give you about an inch more overall height. You may or may not need wheel spacers since they are only 245s I doubt you will. You can get what ever shocks your parents want because now you don't need a suspension lift. If you want to lift the front up to closer to level get the Lift Meister 1/2" top spacer.

With that you get a very mild lift with very little modification to your suspension, if any. With the right tire this should be a capable off-road rig without all of the issues your parents are having. If you don't think it is capable then a member that is running a fairly similar setup and has been doing great.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
Cable810 i am also a you aka 19 year old with a 03 LTZ and my ?? for you is do you make the payments for the truck?? (ex: insurance, loan payment, parts for the truck??? i pay for everything on my truck and i get full say. mom and dad get to say what they feel but i get the last say your almost an adult so you should get to make you own choices. But that's my opinion. Sorry to your mom and dad but they need to lighten up your going to do it one day any way.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
My grandfather has yet to pass. All I'm wanting to do is see how much I'm gunna be spending. I guess I'm making this a bit more complicated than what it is.... I'm paying for everything gas, insurance, etc... Seeing that I'm still living with my parents I have to respect what there say is. The only reason why I don't want to get bigger tires is, I don't want that decrease in MPG, the Big Tire Noise and have to trim the wheel wells. My Uncle had suggested that I do the bigger tires in stead of the lift. Cause what he said is that a lift only lifts the body, and the Bigger tires are where your gunna get ground clearance.

I have been reading other Build threads, here are some Builds I like. JamesDowning, HardTrailz,Fishsticks,Gordinho80
I feel that a 2" lift is gunna have very little Top Heveay increase.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Cable810 said:
My grandfather has yet to pass. All I'm wanting to do is see how much I'm gunna be spending. I guess I'm making this a bit more complicated than what it is.... I'm paying for everything gas, insurance, etc... Seeing that I'm still living with my parents I have to respect what there say is. The only reason why I don't want to get bigger tires is, I don't want that decrease in MPG and the Big Tire Noise. My Uncle had suggested that I do the bigger tires in stead of the lift. Cause what he said is that a lift only lifts the body, and the Bigger tires are where your gunna get ground clearance.

I have been reading other Build threads, here are some Builds I like. JamesDowning, HardTrailz,Fishsticks,Gordinho80
I feel that a 2" lift is gunna have very little Top Heveay increase.

This goes to what I was saying they are all worried about something they don't really understand. Or you for that matter. Taller skinny tires will yield slightly higher gas mileage do to the height, You will lose more mileage by the width due to more surface contact. So you need to know what you are talking about "bigger" tires. What big tire noise? That goes with the type of tire you are running. an AT tire will have less road noise than a MT tire but slightly more than a highway tire. Your uncle obviously doesn't realize that he is only talking about a body lift not a suspension lift. Tires help but for every inch you increase the tire size you only gain about .5" of lift. As your lift goes up and your width goes out you will offset some of the change of your COG.

It has been said again again in this thread, "Define your mission". This will define how your build will go. You have chosen 4 very well built trucks but all have different missions. So different that Fishsticks is changing his truck and bringing back down for more daily driver duty and family wheeling trips and has purchased a more purposed built trail rig. The basic build I gave you earlier belongs to BartonMD.

I understand having to live with your parents wishes. Do they honestly understand all of this that you have gone over?

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
It has been said again again in this thread, "Define your mission". This will define how your build will go.

the roadie said:
I keep pushing on you to define your mission. I see I should have been pushing on you see if you were even going to be allowed to start the project.

Here is a build I want to follow, pretty simple and strait foward. OffRoad TB - View topic - ConradM's Build 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Thats what my Build Mission is. I have defined my mission and i QUOTE
Cable810 said:
I'm looking at makeing it more off road capable. The kinda off roading I'll be doing is mostly 2 tracking. Seeing that I'm not seriously offroading. Now this is going to be a daily driver as well so I really don't want to sacrifice a whole lot just to offroad.
Therefore ConradM's builds Is what I want to do to my TB. Now I have changed my mind about wheel spacers. I'm leaning on either 255/65/17 or 265/65/17. I kinda want to get bigger tires but I do not want to trim my wheel wells and lose mpg. I can deal with a 1-3 MPG loss but anything over 4..... So what is the biggest I can go with out having to trim and a without a 4+ mpg loss?

According to this chart I can get 265/65/17 without any Triming and Spacers. But should I still get spacers for that tire?http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2290

I'm sorry for dragging this thread on and on :frown:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online