noise in system

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I starting getting this issue for some reason after changing my fuel filter. The only reason I mention that is because I had unhooked the battery. After hooking it back up, i started getting feedback in the door speakers...the louder the volume the more feedback I can hear. I've had the same system in for 2 years with no prior issues. Even with no music playing I can hear it when the volume is up. If I change the input from AUX to USB...the noise goes away(I don't have any music on a usb drive to really test it yet). I've been trying to play with all the different settings, but am getting no where...making it worse actually.

My subs are working fine. The doors are running off Kenwood KDC-X493 CD Receiver and to Kenwood KAC-6404 amp which powers just the door speakers.

Any ideas before I start tearing down and re installing everything?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Check your ground cable in particular. Did you make sure your terminals were clean before reconnecting the battery?

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
haven't checked anything out yet...just out of curiously...i normally disconnect the inline fuse before unhooking my battery. Is that necessary? I did not do it last time, and now i'm having issues.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I never remove any fuses before disconnecting the battery. I normally just disconnect the negative cable and go about what I need to do.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
djthumper said:
Check your ground cable in particular. Did you make sure your terminals were clean before reconnecting the battery?

:iagree:

noise almost 100% of the time comes from a grounding issue.. and as stated above.. i wouldnt remove fuses before disconnecting the battery terminals.

hopefully its just a simple grounding issue for you.. i know how much of a pain it can be to troubleshoot engine noise...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think there is a couple grounds by tank and one from frame to filler hose as well. May check them.

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Nice out and had time today to clean all my grounds. Noise is still there. Again, noise is only there in aux mode on my head unit. If I put it into usb the feedback disappears. Any other ideas? Once I figure out how to pull a video off my phone i'll post one.

Smoove

Dec 5, 2011
if its only giving feedback in aux mode, go purchase a new cord, or test with another device.

2.5 mm jacks are cheap and wear out easy.

If thats not it

Check the wiring harness on your deck, make sure the antennae is plugged all the way in. somethings loose.

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Smoove said:
if its only giving feedback in aux mode, go purchase a new cord, or test with another device.

2.5 mm jacks are cheap and wear out easy.

If thats not it

Check the wiring harness on your deck, make sure the antennae is plugged all the way in. somethings loose.

Makes the noise even with no cord plugged in. I'll try to pull the deck out tomorrow and make sure everything is tight.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
tbuckalew14 said:
.....noise is only there in aux mode on my head unit.

tbuckalew14 said:
Makes the noise even with no cord plugged in.

Based on this I think it's an internal problem with the head unit.

Did you get around to trying the usb (with music)?

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
Sounds like a head unit issue, probably a damaged aux jack. If the feed was always there then it could be a ground issue.

I tend to stay away from using aux, (in my opinion) it's an older method used to link anything to anything and the the quality of aux jacks and cables are getting cheaper and cheaper ever year. I find it to have a real low quality in sound compared to a USB jack. It seems there is a USB cable out there for every modern device and its digital for a better sound. plus your device can get a charge while plugged in and in most cases, it'll sync your head unit to your device for better control of your music library, video's, ext.

But yeah, it sounds like a broken aux jack. Maybe try cleaning it out with a little rubbing alcohol. If your good with a soldering gun, it may be possible to replace the jack, or just simply run an external one off the back of your radio if it has an RCA input.

What kind of head unit do you have?

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
It's a Kenwood KDC-X493. I'll try the usb today...then pull out the unit and make sure everything is tight. Worst case I can swap the unit out of my wifes jeep to test and make sure it is just the headunit.

Joe D 04 said:
Sounds like a head unit issue, probably a damaged aux jack. If the feed was always there then it could be a ground issue.

I tend to stay away from using aux, (in my opinion) it's an older method used to link anything to anything and the the quality of aux jacks and cables are getting cheaper and cheaper ever year. I find it to have a real low quality in sound compared to a USB jack. It seems there is a USB cable out there for every modern device and its digital for a better sound. plus your device can get a charge while plugged in and in most cases, it'll sync your head unit to your device for better control of your music library, video's, ext.

But yeah, it sounds like a broken aux jack. Maybe try cleaning it out with a little rubbing alcohol. If your good with a soldering gun, it may be possible to replace the jack, or just simply run an external one off the back of your radio if it has an RCA input.

What kind of head unit do you have?

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
USB plays a lot better. Still hear a little feedback when turned up. I need to go back and play with the amps a little, but should be bearable for now. I hate using a USB when I have a perfectly good mp3 player just sitting there.

Also listening to a CD just sounds like it's distorted too. Still need to swap the unit out of my wifes jeep to see it it's any better...although it's a crappier head unit.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
USB plays a lot better. Still hear a little feedback when turned up. I need to go back and play with the amps a little, but should be bearable for now. I hate using a USB when I have a perfectly good mp3 player just sitting there.

Also listening to a CD just sounds like it's distorted too. Still need to swap the unit out of my wifes jeep to see it it's any better...although it's a crappier head unit.
Check your RCAs for the door amp I had this same issue and it was a crap RCA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online