Nasty Pitting on Rims

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Anyone have ideas on how to remove this nasty pitting on my rims? The rims I was told are aluminium. They as you can see are just the stock rims.

View attachment 18897

Attachments

• P2173752.jpg
    P2173752.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 15
  • php4P5RY2AM.jpg
    php4P5RY2AM.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 14

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
I dont think that can be removed at this point, might try a wire spin brush and then repaint

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
What causes that is the clear coat coming off. Sand paper will clean up the oxidation, then you should put more clear over it. It would work better if you remove the weights before fixing.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
DJones said:
What causes that is the clear coat coming off. Sand paper will clean up the oxidation, then you should put more clear over it. It would work better if you remove the weights before fixing.

the weights on the rim are what causes it

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
yes the weights are what cause the clear coat to come off it is a reaction between the two metal's. the weights that are to be used on aluminum rims are stick on and to be put on the inside of the rims http://http://www.weightsaver.com/smartweight_weightsaver03.htm These are what the weights look like. i get the stick on type because i don't want my rims to look like yours lol but the shop that dose my rims and tires says i am one of few that ask for these to save my rims you have to ask for these weights and if the shop you use dose not have these you should change shops

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
bigytwotone said:
these are what the weights look like View attachment 4169
Exactly, Thats all the SS has on it no outside weights. Definitely going to take some elbow grease on those bad boys.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Curious to see how fixing them turns out. Best of luck.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
bigytwotone The link to the weightsaver dosn't work... I hate to ask this but where are the wheel weights?

Thanks Hardtrailz I'm hoping tomorrow will be a nice 40 degree day that I can get this done.

Another question when I get this cleened up I'm debating on whether to paint the rims or not. If I paint them I want to go black but what how will it look on the Medium Green Metallic??

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
Cable810 said:
bigytwotone The link to the weightsaver dosn't work... I hate to ask this but where are the wheel weights?

Thanks Hardtrailz I'm hoping tomorrow will be a nice 40 degree day that I can get this done.

Another question when I get this cleened up I'm debating on whether to paint the rims or not. If I paint them I want to go black but what how will it look on the Medium Green Metallic??

it works now sorry but here is a new one just in case lol SmartWeight(R) Balancing Technology

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hm I didn't even think much of those weights. I thought they were a little ugly on the outside edge but no biggie I thought. I should probably have them switched to stick on weights.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
So if I'm to remove the weights It will no affect? Dang Its 40 out, maybe I'll do it today. Would I need to do the clear coat? I don't drive it at all LOL I drive it just when I need a vehicle.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cable810 said:
So if I'm to remove the weights It will no affect? Dang Its 40 out :biggrin: Now I have a project!!

You will need your tires re-balanced...

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
You will need your tires re-balanced...

Ok Thats what I thought

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Actually it is the installation of the weights that damages the clear coat. After the bare aluminum is exposed the galvanic corrosion begins to happen between the disimilar metals of the steel and aluminum. There is more damage to that rim from some chemical being splashed on it causing the clear coat to be that open to cause all of that oxidation.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
do you have another vehicle? if you do take all the tires off the truck and remove the weights and take them in and get them re balanced with the proper weights and from now on you have to ask for the stick on weights or else they will put on the hammer on ones. and if you want it all fixed now take two tires of and get the ruber removed and fix the rim as in sand it down and clean then re-clear coat them. the do that same to the other two.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
Hm I didn't even think much of those weights. I thought they were a little ugly on the outside edge but no biggie I thought. I should probably have them switched to stick on weights.

:iagree:
within the first month of getting my 09, i took it in and had it switched to the stick-on weights
my 03 ext rims were starting to pit, because of the weights, when i sold it. :twocents:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I do not have another vehicle, besides my parents. If I do this its going to be in the spring. We keep getting high 30s to mid 40s for 2 days then it snows for a day or three then its back ot the high 30s mid 40s :crazy:....

I asksed, I think it was post #12 if I should Paint my Rims black? I'd rather not start a new thread so what are your thoughts?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
How about painting the rims dark gray and color matching the grooves in the spokes with your truck? IMO black will only look good if you do an off-road look.

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
Can;t you get them to add the weights onthe back side of the rim instead?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Rubberman said:
Can;t you get them to add the weights onthe back side of the rim instead?

When you weight the lip of the wheel you do both the inside and outside...

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
when I worked in a tire shop in HS and college we always put the weights on the backside of nice rims.
We used an old bubble balancer so that was easy. I'm unsure if it makes any difference with the balancers now.

I didn't think to ask for my TB and mine are crudding up as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online