May not want to be thinking of adapting an 8 speed

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Couldn't get the 4L60e reliable in ANY year built. I can't image things have gotten much better since. I don't see myself in a GM with the next truck I buy. Transmissions are the number one reason.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I have zero issues w my 4l60s and only basic fluid n filters for hundreds of thousands of miles. I would take one of them over any dodge and most ford transmissions.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Couldn't get the 4L60e reliable in ANY year built. I can't image things have gotten much better since. I don't see myself in a GM with the next truck I buy. Transmissions are the number one reason.

170k on one and counting in my Camaro that yes had a TCC valve problem that I had to fix, 215k never a problem on the one in my 02 TB, and 205k and counting on the one in my 07 Silverado.

Seems reliable enough to me.

No the 4L60E ain't bulletproof, but it really isnt that bad of a transmission either.

• Love
Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The tahoe has the shudder and cant pick a gear to save its life, was one of the things I hated about it day one. The colorado has been good so far, better programming it seems.

The escalade has 300k on the the 65e behind a 6.0 and aside from the shift kit has been fine. The only trans I've actually had to rebuild is 2 4l80es which are allegedly bullet proof... go figure.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I've had 4 trucks with 4L60Es. My '02 GMC Safari had about 150k when I traded it. No issues at all with the trans.

The one in my '95 'Burb had to be rebuilt at 123k. But I bought it with 97k and the previous owner had no idea if the fluid had even been changed.

My '03 TB had 160k on when sold it, my current '08 Sierra has 153k. No trouble with those transmissions.

Change fluid when recommended, be nice to them, and they are fine.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I've had 4 trucks with 4L60Es. My '02 GMC Safari had about 150k when I traded it. No issues at all with the trans.

The one in my '95 'Burb had to be rebuilt at 123k. But I bought it with 97k and the previous owner had no idea if the fluid had even been changed.

My '03 TB had 160k on when sold it, my current '08 Sierra has 153k. No trouble with those transmissions.

Change fluid when recommended, be nice to them, and they are fine.
We're not nice to anything... but we do keep up on maintenance.

Reactions: Matt and HARDTRAILZ

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Seems reliable enough to me.

Understatement of all time. What does reliable enough actually mean? I suppose that is what GM said when they built my TB.....it's just 'good enough to be reliable enough'. You see....that's is exactly the problem with GM engineering. This message forum is just loaded with new users asking the same repeat questions about P1870 and P894 related to the 4l60e.

My own situation, I brought the truck into a shop for a full diagnostic last fall....just to learn that I have a shot stator shaft bushing (7 dollar part). No amount of filters and fluid would have prevented that....and apparently it's a regular event. When the bushing fails, much needed line pressure leaks out between the shaft and bushing starving the torque converter.....causing more slippage RPM than the computer can control. You can guess what happens next. Heat and then loss of friction surfaces and the CEL on. Keep driving and you'll burn your fluid etc etc etc. The only fix is the full removal of the transmission. To me, that's not reliable enough. See why I might be ticked?

I don't want to start something here, it's not my intention...but scale this up to today's situation where people are putting $50,000 plus and getting screwed by the 8l90/45....especially once this falls outside of warranty. Another 4l60e story repeated IMHO. I'm done.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Meh, they're all equally shit. But when you pay shit box proces om some who cares and when you pay luxury prices on others it's just the cost of having luxury.

The 8 speed is a total screw up. (Allegedly a decent chunk of the problems are caused by the factory fill being the wrong fluid. Idk if I believe that)The 6 speed was good as is the 10 speed. The 60e was designed 30 something years ago, (revised 700r4 to be exact... so 28ish actually) considering the shot boxes it was going into at the time... good enough was getting maybe 200k out of it if the car didn't rot out around it at first.

Back to drinking.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't want to start something here, it's not my intention..

It's not starting something. It's healthy discussion of different experiences.

It happens with anything new. Look at DOD failures. Funny that there were no lawsuits on that one since it's so well known and documented, there are kits and instructions on how to remove it. There are always growing pains with any new tech (look at Samsung's folding screen!), which is why I never adopt a new thing early. But GM has been having these issues with the 8L90 for a few years now and haven't resolved them. Methinks that it is a major design flaw that can't be remedied, like the early Honda CVT's. Might have to retrograde to a 4L60e :smile:

The 4L60e has been good to me. My '02's tranny failed at 300k km so it owed me nothing.

Reactions: Matt and northcreek

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Agreed!... we can all relate to bad vehicle experiences but, you have to take the good with the bad. We drive high tech vehicles and we like all the bells & whistles, so be prepared to shell out some bucks when they break, it's the new reality. Besides...RockAuto needs the business :wink:.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I used to tell me the 2.8 GM motor was indestructible but I had three fail in under a year of babied use. Shit happens, but lumping them all together based on a used vehicle experience is just silly. I will never own another, but don't bring them up in any engine thread randomly. Esp when the topic was about new shit that was junk from the assembly line on, not things of age with unknown maintenance. We do get lots of new owners of old 4l60s that have issues, but if you don't maintain something...it will fail.

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Understatement of all time. What does reliable enough actually mean? I suppose that is what GM said when they built my TB.....it's just 'good enough to be reliable enough'. You see....that's is exactly the problem with GM engineering. This message forum is just loaded with new users asking the same repeat questions about P1870 and P894 related to the 4l60e.

At 200k I don't think any vehicle owes anyone anything by that point. Sure, longer is even better, but by 200k that's a lot of time and wear. That's what I mean by good enough.

P1870 is the biggest issue IMO with the 4L60E because when that TCC valve and bore start to wear and screw up it can lead to a number of other failures due to overheated trans fluid causing clutch pack burnup etc.

I had to laugh a little at the article that said the 8 speed shift from reverse to drive was so violent it almost sent the car through a garage door. Well, you're supposed to have your foot on the brake, don't blame the trans for that one!

I didn't realize the issues with the 8 speed. Hm. I was thinking it would be nice to get something like a 16 or 17M Silverado in a couple years if I could afford to, to replace my aging 07. Not buying a Ford, had one for a rental car for one day and really did not like it at all. Not a Toyota, don't like the Tundra either. Have not driven a Ram but can't say I'm too keen on trying one...

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Trouble it that every brand and model has it's issues. Some are minor, some not so minor. I've been thinking my next truck might be a Ford. But you know what they say, "the devil you know..."

I frequent a couple of RV related forums and have only seen one posting of some guy's BIL having the issue. Lots of GM trucks on those forums with the 8 sp. trans.

Just because there is a class action lawsuit doesn't mean it's a widespread issue. It means that a few people didn't get satisfaction and a CA layer got hold of it and figures he can make some good money on it. I'm not saying it's not an issues, just not convinced that it's widespread.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Trouble it that every brand and model has it's issues. Some are minor, some not so minor. I've been thinking my next truck might be a Ford. But you know what they say, "the devil you know..."

I frequent a couple of RV related forums and have only seen one posting of some guy's BIL having the issue. Lots of GM trucks on those forums with the 8 sp. trans.

Just because there is a class action lawsuit doesn't mean it's a widespread issue. It means that a few people didn't get satisfaction and a CA layer got hold of it and figures he can make some good money on it. I'm not saying it's not an issues, just not convinced that it's widespread.
Honestly every 8 speed with a decent chunk of miles on it I've driven has had the shutter fron the torque converter. It's just annoying and can't really hurt anything more than anything. But it was in 5 vehicles all less than 2 years old. I agree though, I cant see every damn one having the problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online