Lower control arm/bracket replacement position

RoggieRunner

Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Home
04 TB replacing both upper and lower control arms , strut, sway bar link first on the driver's side. My question is related to the lower control arm bracket placement. How do know how far in or out it should be. Since I took off the suspension yoke and strut, I don't have a real good idea how far in or out the replacement should be. When I put the control arm and bracket back in, I left the three bracket to frame bolts lose, put the strut and yoke back in place, and adjusted the lower control (in and out using crowbar)to meet the yoke and fit correct. Is this the correct way to get the lower control arm close ? Does an alignment at a shop then re adjust the lower control arm. Do shops get pissed when dyi guys bring vehicles for realignment

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
An alignment shop will adjust them if they are competent. Just eyeball it or tape measure align it for now. The alignment shop wont care who did the work if done right.

Reactions: RoggieRunner

RoggieRunner

Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Home
Ok. Other than fighting with rusty bolts and corrosion (live in rust belt) , it has been pretty straight forward. Have you heard of stories of this type of replacement not done correctly that we can learn from. God forbid I haven't done it

RoggieRunner

Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Home
Video and manual have been my guide. One video mentioned not to torque upper control bolts or lower control arm to bracket bolts until vehicle is lowered then torque them otherwise there is a chance to tear or reduce the life of the bushings if torqued "pre tension" i.e. no vehicle weight. Is this common

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I torqued mine down without a load on the control arms on both sides I believe back in January of this year without any problems arising. I would almost bet they were torqued at the factory without any load on them, so I did likewise. I have about 185k miles on this `04 tb.
just my 2¢

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My only real problem was one of the frame's weld nuts broke off. After cutting the bolto ff with a torch, used a nut and bolt as a replacement. Thankfully.it was a front one that was accessible from the top of the frame.

RoggieRunner

Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Home
My only real problem was one of the frame's weld nuts broke off. After cutting the bolto ff with a torch, used a nut and bolt as a replacement. Thankfully.it was a front one that was accessible from the top of the frame.
Gottcha.

I torqued mine down without a load on the control arms on both sides I believe back in January of this year without any problems arising. I would almost bet they were torqued at the factory without any load on them, so I did likewise. I have about 185k miles on this `04 tb.
just my 2¢
Thanks for the 2¢

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online