Just double checking type of fluid for Differentials...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
So I'm going to be heading out to the stealership and the parts store so I can get some of my maintenance done on the truck while it's semi warm and dry out. I wanted to double check which fluids I need and which gear oil goes where. It's REALLY early for me and I'm lacking coffee so I just want to double check.

Front and rear Diff get the 75w90 full synthetic gear oil
Transfer case gets the GM Autotrek II

I will also be doing break pads all around and my end links....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Get the Mobile 1 diff oil. Many people use it wiuth good luck. Decent price for quality. Need 3 quarts for front n back.

It is AutoTrak II but 2 quarts will do it.

I got the lifetime ceramic pads from the parts store. Their brand...Gold series maybe. They have worked well and have lasted good

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thank you Kyle!! I planned on doing the mobile 1 as that's what I use for motor oil and wanted to keep it "In the family" so to speak. I know Mat wants to look at the walmart brand, but I don't think I will go that route.

For the brakes, that's what I'm aiming for. I have the metallic organic cheapo's on the truck now and want to upgrade.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
If you have advanced auto in your town use the code retmenot124 you will save tons I have probably saved $250 from all my recent maintenance

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Get the Mobile 1 diff oil. Many people use it wiuth good luck. Decent price for quality. Need 3 quarts for front n back.

It is AutoTrak II but 2 quarts will do it.

I got the lifetime ceramic pads from the parts store. Their brand...Gold series maybe. They have worked well and have lasted good

Has anyone you know of used the lucas brand diff fluid with good feedback? I like you use lucas in everything i have ive had goodluck but seeing as alot of people use mobil now im second guessing it.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
cjceg1985 said:
Has anyone you know of used the lucas brand diff fluid with good feedback? I like you use lucas in everything i have ive had goodluck but seeing as alot of people use mobil now im second guessing it.

Honestly I couldn't tell you, I have only ever used Mobile 1 for my truck.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Voymom said:
...... I planned on doing the mobile 1 as that's what I use for motor oil and wanted to keep it "In the family" so to speak. I know Mat wants to look at the walmart brand, but I don't think I will go that route......

I went to get the M1 at my local parts store but they didn't have enough so they gave me Royal Purple at the same price.
I imagine the Walmart brand would be fine but I figure you change diff oil so infrequently I don't see the need to skimp.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
I went to get the M1 at my local parts store but they didn't have enough so they gave me Royal Purple at the same price.
I imagine the Walmart brand would be fine but I figure you change diff oil so infrequently I don't see the need to skimp.

Since I offroad my truck, I do change my diff fluid frequently and now use whatever is on sale and will work with my locker.

But for those that dont use their rigs hard, it is advisable to use quality fluid since it will be around for awhile.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
More important than choosing the correct diff fluid is just changing the fluid in a timely manner. This means every 50k or so! Also when you change the fluid you want to check seals for leaks. This means the rear wheels and brake rotors need to come off to see if the rear wheel seals are leaking. If they are bad then you could end up adding diff fluid every 15k instead of just changing it every 50k.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online