Is this power steering pump noise normal?

dkvasnicka

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
I've noticed that my power steering pump makes this kind of "hissing" sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnerLTGxr3I
Is this normal?

I haven't noticed any changes in ease of steering - until recently. AWD got engaged intermittently on highway in heavy rain (or I think it was it) and it grabbed my steering wheel a bit - after that my steering feels a bit heavier and I think the truck also needs to work a bit harder to run. Did this help the pump to the grave?

Jul 24, 2012
I didn't hear anything too strange in the video. I don't think the AWD and power steering would be connected. Lack of fluid in the system makes the pump whine pretty loud, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem now.

You could try the "easy" flush for fluid, which is to remove fluid from the reservoir with a hand pump of some sort, and then put in fresh fluid ... and repeat several times.

If you have a blockage in the lines somewhere you might have a harder time turning, and not have signs of lost fluid, I suppose.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What does the fluid look like? Could be due for a change. I also didn't hear anything bad but it sounded like a vacuum leak to me. Did you try removing the belt and running the engine to see if the noise is belt driven? You can then check the belt, pulleys and water pump.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I'm worried I let my fluid go dry. On my way home from work there was a loud whining noise and then the power steering just went out on me...whilst traveling at speed on the freeway! A little scary. Had it towed to a shop last night and waiting on the diagnosis/prognosis now.

Jul 24, 2012
Pittdawg said:
I'm worried I let my fluid go dry. On my way home from work there was a loud whining noise and then the power steering just went out on me...whilst traveling at speed on the freeway! A little scary. Had it towed to a shop last night and waiting on the diagnosis/prognosis now.
You have a leak somewhere. Hoses are known issues on these trucks I guess. I ended up replacing my rack, had a seal go bad, and was losing fluid out the passenger side of the rack.

Reactions: Mooseman

dkvasnicka

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Mooseman said:
What does the fluid look like? Could be due for a change. I also didn't hear anything bad but it sounded like a vacuum leak to me. Did you try removing the belt and running the engine to see if the noise is belt driven? You can then check the belt, pulleys and water pump.
Not sure what the colour should be. It has browny colour, as far as I can remember.
I'll try removing the belt tomorrow.

dkvasnicka

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
I must say I've never seen anything as cryptic as the "Power Steering Fluid (Part No. U.S. 89021184, in
Canada 89021186)".
I refuse to believe that the only thing I can pour in there is the official ACDelco bottle.

What do you people put in your PS? A lot of people say Dex III...? Anyone tried the "universal" PS fluid from Gold Eagle?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
dkvasnicka said:
I must say I've never seen anything as cryptic as the "Power Steering Fluid (Part No. U.S. 89021184, in
Canada 89021186)".
I refuse to believe that the only thing I can pour in there is the official ACDelco bottle.

What do you people put in your PS? A lot of people say Dex III...? Anyone tried the "universal" PS fluid from Gold Eagle?
I would strongly recommend not putting in trans fluid. Any regular old power steering fluid should be fine. Should be an amberish color, almost clear. You don't want to mix the two. Trans fluid would not mix well with ps fluid. Some vehicles come that way though. If you were starting fresh with new pump and rack and lines you could do it but I dont see the point.

dkvasnicka

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
OK, this is how the PS fluid looks like:

Photo%2028.08.15%2020%2033%2029.jpg

Smells a bit like electronic circuit... maybe a bit overloaded one...? :rolleyes:
Guess that's not the best PS fluid condition one can have. When do people usually change theirs? Am I way over on 90k mi?

Jul 24, 2012
My rack went at 210K miles or so. Never changed fluid before then. Never had to. Maybe if I had it would have saved the rack, but maybe not. Dunno.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would change/flush it for the peace of mind and eliminate it as a cause. Any brand power steering fluid will work except for specific ones like Asian/Honda. Definitely not transmission fluid.

Reactions: Texan

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
It's OK to use either Gold eagle or Redline power steering fluid.

Worked for me.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
I am one who likes to change all fluids even brake. now my power steering res is going dry every 4 days and I cannot find the leak. maybe pinhole in high pressure line guess I will have the wife go back n forth with the wheel. what o ring goes bad?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The usual suspect is line rusting on top of the driver's side shock tower. There is also the cooler behind the bumper that also rusts out.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online