IL to FL Members Suggestions?

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Sometime in May, heading to Siesta Key (Sarasota) FL. w/ my ladies. (wife, daughter and her friend)
thinking of driving this time instead of flying.
looking for input/ suggestions around the major cities.
Day of Week: Friday
Planned Route: I-65 thru IN, KY to Nashville
I-24 Nashville to Chattanooga to pick up I-75
I-75 rest of the way
(OR)
I-65 to Indy
I-74 to Cincy to pick up I-75 then down to Lexington and beyond
plan on leaving early AM 4-5am (i will lose an hour somewhere in IN.)
with planning on ave. speed of 65mph, will hit major cities approx:
INDY 8-9am EST
Louisville or Lexington 10-11am
Nashville or Knoxville 12:30 - 1:30pm
Chattanooga 2:30 - 3:30pm
Atlanta 4:30 - 5:30pm (this one has me worried)
Macon 5:30 -6:30 pm this is approx where i plan to stop for the night.

Sat. up early again, would hit Tampa approx 12-2pm. i know the drive from here, about an hour to sarasota,
but have always come from airport (I-275).
givin the time 12-2PM on a sat. does it make any diff. which route? (I-75 VS I-275)

looking for what to expect around major cities given the time. any known road consrtuction going on,
and what cities is it better to use the bypass around.
also if any members, along my planned route, would care to PM me a contact number
(in case something major happens to the TB and we are stranded for more than an hour or 2,
where i might need transpotation to a hotel)
it would be much appreciated. if not, thats ok too.
:thankyou: in advance for all suggestion.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I'd avoid i275. It's just more mileage and more traffic through Tampa, especially the i4 interchange. Although the sunshine Skyway bridge is always pretty... You could always just see it on the way up to Clearwater-St Pete for a quick meet :smile:

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:
I'd avoid i275. It's just more mileage and more traffic through Tampa, especially the i4 interchange. Although the sunshine Skyway bridge is always pretty... You could always just see it on the way up to Clearwater-St Pete for a quick meet :smile:

my wife and i have seen/been over that cool bridge about 6 times in the last 2 years.
last year took my oldest daughter( who was, until that point, afraid of a bridge of any type) and her boyfriend over, to and from the airport.
my other daughter has never seen/been over it though.
have to decide if we'll go over it coming or leaving.

i have thought of the possibility of a mini meet. we are staying sat to sat.
after the drive fri/sat, sun will be spent soaking up the sun and suds.
mid week might work?

markmc

Nov 20, 2011
There is no "good time" to go through Atlanta, however last time we came through around 7:30pm (just after rush hour) and buzzed wright through down town on i75.
Then stopped for the night just south of Atlanta.

Let us know when you get finalized travel dates.
Been a few years since our last adventure...:Lager Louts:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
INDY 8-9am EST

Coming through on 65 S

You may hit a bit of congestion downtown if you go straight through, but overall you are coming through the right way for a smooth trip. Fridays tend to be lighter traffic and 8 is about the end of most traffic. If you are going to go straight through and continue 65 S you can traffic 465 around the westside and might do a couple minutes better. If you are going to 74, which I drive daily and is a very uncongested interstate, you may as well take 65 through downtown to 465 to 74, but can go around the westside as well. I would avoid the NE corner of 465 for sure. Its has the worst of the congestion in the city.

93.1 FM tends to do the most traffic updates. Talk radio, but seems that every 10 minutes they update and are pretty accurate.

If you go through Cinci after Indy...you will have no issues getting to 75 S. However, I would get off at St. Leon exit of I74 in Indiana and Take SR 1 down to 275 then to 75. At least that is how I always go. Sounds more complicated, but its simple really and if you see it on a map, you might want to try it.

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
markmc said:
There is no "good time" to go through Atlanta, however last time we came through around 7:30pm (just after rush hour) and buzzed wright through down town on i75.
Then stopped for the night just south of Atlanta.

Let us know when you get finalized travel dates.
Been a few years since our last adventure...:Lager Louts:

hows this for adventure: you take fri off and drive to north of Atlanta, meet me, then lead the way w/ the SS through Atlanta.
then we'll stop in Macon for a few.
or....meet me and let me take the SS for the rest of the vaca. and you get to ride high(er) again for a while. :undecided:

HARDTRAILZ said:
INDY 8-9am EST

Coming through on 65 S

You may hit a bit of congestion downtown if you go straight through, but overall you are coming through the right way for a smooth trip. Fridays tend to be lighter traffic and 8 is about the end of most traffic. If you are going to go straight through and continue 65 S you can traffic 465 around the westside and might do a couple minutes better. If you are going to 74, which I drive daily and is a very uncongested interstate, you may as well take 65 through downtown to 465 to 74, but can go around the westside as well. I would avoid the NE corner of 465 for sure. Its has the worst of the congestion in the city.

93.1 FM tends to do the most traffic updates. Talk radio, but seems that every 10 minutes they update and are pretty accurate.

If you go through Cinci after Indy...you will have no issues getting to 75 S. However, I would get off at St. Leon exit of I74 in Indiana and Take SR 1 down to 275 then to 75. At least that is how I always go. Sounds more complicated, but its simple really and if you see it on a map, you might want to try it.

Thanks Kyle.
i've always done the 465 around, but some people have said 65 straight thru can be just as quick.
haven't decided which way yet.(65 vs 74 to 75) depends on what i hear about Louisville vs Lexington on a fri @ say 11:00am

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online