I want to replace my front strut assemblies

albi30

Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
I installed Bilsteins in the rear and want to do the same in the front. They don't have a "quickstrut". Besides the shock, spring coil, and strut mounts, what else do I need to have a "new" strut assembly? Or is that it?

smt 59

Do not go quick struts, go bilsteins, the Monroe is expensive and a crap ride. I have already made this mistake. You may require spring insulaters as well in Addition to your list. Are you changing them yourself?

albi30

Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
smt 59 said:
Do not go quick struts, go bilsteins, the Monroe is expensive and a crap ride. I have already made this mistake.

I already bought the Bilstein front struts. I'm just looking for the rest of the "assembly". Coils, strut mounts, etc... which brand and where to get them. And anything else I might be forgetting.

smt 59

albi30 said:
I already bought the Bilstein front struts. I'm just looking for the rest of the "assembly". Coils, strut mounts, etc... which brand and where to get them. And anything else I might be forgetting.

I believe you will be going to the dealer for the rest of your needs if you are keeping the truck stock.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Sounds like your list has everything, except maybe the spring insulator. I'm sure your old insulators are just fine though. I think I saw them at shockwarehouse when I ordered my front struts, in case you do need them. You can probably get then just about anywhere.

You shouldn't need strut bellows because they're already included on Bilstein struts.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
smt 59 said:
I believe you will be going to the dealer for the rest of your needs if you are keeping the truck stock.

Not so much. All parts are available online to keep the stock setup.

OP-- You should know that there are 8 or so stock spring rates and they can vary side to side. There is a chart and part numbers and color codes in a thread on here so you can keep your same rates or increase or decrease to tailor your ride to what you want. Moog also has springs available that have been shown to work well. They have different rates available and some have matched them to stock rates if you go that route.

Up And Down

Oct 25, 2012
Interesting thread as the quick struts, which I was going to use, aren't recommended. I also find it interesting that Bilstein are recommended over the Sensatracs, which seem to have a very good general reputation. As far as replacement goes, besides the obvious of the strut cartridge itself, what else exactly should be replaced when changing out the front struts? Thanks for the replies.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Up And Down said:
.. what else exactly should be replaced when changing out the front struts? ...
Whatever's worn out or broken. :biggrin: Springs can sag over time. All depends on your driving habits and offroad aggressiveness. Most owners never have this happen. The upper strut mount can also get damaged offroad, in potholes, or by excess heat. Inspect the rubber for cracks and deterioration. Most folks don't have this happening either.

So for those folks with no obvious damage, just change the shock cartridge in the middle. Monroe gets poorer reviews because they're replacing all three major elements in one unit, and they cheaped out on the shock too much to make the combined unit affordable. Too much compromise to get something that Joe Goofball can change in his driveway.

But in general, I think folks obsess FAR too much over what's really just a $75 car part. Too "harsh" whatever that means, some folks want to avoid. Too "soft".....too "this"....too "that". Heck, we don't obsess over SEAT CUSHION comfort as much as we debate shocks using words that mean as little as the terms the wine freaks use to describe their $100-200 bottles of wine. And people should care about seat effectiveness (the lack of side bolster stiffness just KILLS me offroading) and I never see that sort of thing get discussed. Feh.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Seats are on my upgrade list this year...

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Off topic, delete if needed. But Kyle and Bill, I do know the seats in my Bravada hug me A LOT more than the seats in BOTH of my parents Trailblazers, and my Brothers Envoy. I feel almost uneasy going around corners in the Trailblazer and Envoy since I am use to the Bravada seats keeping my upright. I know you two deal with angles far more extreme than I do, but just figured I would mention this since the seats would bolt right in.

thor124

Jul 23, 2013
Has anyone used a quick-strut assembly other than Monroe's? Rockauto is listing MOGG, KYB, and Raybesto options as well as the Monroe.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
smt 59 said:
Do not go quick struts, go bilsteins, the Monroe is expensive and a crap ride. I have already made this mistake.

I used the Monroe quick struts and I didn't find them to be a bad ride at all, and they weren't all that expensive either. As far as overall durability and longevity I can't comment on. I did them last summer and the TB is currently for sale.

Up And Down

Oct 25, 2012
DocBrown,
How is the ride as compared to stock? Did you buy them through Rock Auto? As far as the previous post about the multiple manufacturers of these quick struts, I would guess that most of them, if not all, are rebranded Monroes. Thanks.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Up and Down, I found the ride to about the same which was all I was really looking for. Not to mention that when I replaced them I had over 150k on the truck and I was starting to get reluctant on sticking a lot of money into it.

Most people here are looking for improved ride and longevity over the OEM suspension so for them the Monroe quick struts don't cut it. I also replaced my shocks with Monroe. Yes, I use Rock Auto. Almost all my parts come from there unless I need it right away.

KYB makes their own. They are typically a little pricier but lots of people swear by them. On the HHR forum I'm on that's all everyone there uses is KYB. I can't speak for other brands.

CarbEnvoy

Sep 29, 2012
I replaces the shocks on my Envoy about 4 years ago with Monroe SensaTracs. They came with Reflex stickers on the front struts. I also replaced the strut mounts at the same time but used the stock springs. I have been completely satisfied with the ride quality. Mostly paved roads, but I do take it on gravel dirt roads regularly to go fishing and they handle that just fine as well. No noticeable loss of ride quality yet. With the OEM shocks at 120K kms, they offered no damping. 4 years, and 50K kms on the monroes (man, i don't put too many miles on this thing) and they are still doing fine, no extra bouncy-ness.

I also tow a 3300lb travel trailer, and the Monroes, with the rear air springs, handled it very well.

Now my air suspension is failing and I'm switching to coil springs which means I need new rear shocks. This time I am going to use Bilstein HD's as they get very good reviews from anyone who has put them on their GMT.

I am also experiencing about an inch of sag on the passenger side, and I may go ahead and replace the front springs, and switch to Bilstein's in the front as well.

I ordered Raybestos coils from RockAuto for the rear, and I am thinking I'll do the same for the fronts (EXT/XL springs for extra support).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online