How to Aim Headlights (and fog lights)

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys,
So this video will show you how to aim your headlights and your fog lights on our trucks.

This is a big problem I see all the time where people dont know how to aim their headlights and either their light beam is not lighting up the road adequately or they are blinding other drivers.

This video will show you how to easily and properly adjust headlights to maximize light throw and minimize blinding other drivers.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDudMM4J-ZE

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Another nice video. My wife's 03 F150 has the same style adjuster screws on the headlight. What a PITA to remove the headlight everytime an adjustment was needed.

At least with the TrailBlazer, the headlights do not need removed to make adjustments.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Reminds me I need to adjust the wife's van lights since I had the out for the engine swap.

Reactions: dogfish246

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another excellent video. I had no idea about the fogs. Good tip!

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Thanks guys! I appreciate the awesome feedback!

dmanns67 said:
Another nice video. My wife's 03 F150 has the same style adjuster screws on the headlight. What a PITA to remove the headlight everytime an adjustment was needed.

At least with the TrailBlazer, the headlights do not need removed to make adjustments.
Yea, they actually make a special tool for it (I put the link to the tool in the description of the video). It is a joke they cannot use an 8mm bolt head or something.

Mooseman said:
Another excellent video. I had no idea about the fogs. Good tip!
Thanks! Yea, fog lights are not focused on but they make all of the difference!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Chickenhawk said:
I have never tried aiming my fogs. Is there an actual adjustment on our platform?
There's a little start bolt on the bottom of them but if you have aftermarket fogs they're likely Phillips head screws. I recently aimed mine, took the three nuts off, took them out, and used needle nose vice grips to turn the star bolt. There's a little access slot cut into the bumper for aiming them but I couldn't do it with the vice grips, if you had a star socket it'd be no problem to leave them in.

I have mine adjusted as high as they'll go and I'm pretty happy with it. Mine were pointing at the ground a few feet in front of the vehicle, now they hit about the same spot as the headlights.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
There's a little start bolt on the bottom of them but if you have aftermarket fogs they're likely Phillips head screws. I recently aimed mine, took the three nuts off, took them out, and used needle nose vice grips to turn the star bolt. There's a little access slot cut into the bumper for aiming them but I couldn't do it with the vice grips, if you had a star socket it'd be no problem to leave them in.

I have mine adjusted as high as they'll go and I'm pretty happy with it. Mine were pointing at the ground a few feet in front of the vehicle, now they hit about the same spot as the headlights.
Aarkon said:
There is a spring loaded e type screw under the housing

Attachments

• 20141104_011706.jpg
    20141104_011706.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A regular six point socket does fit on that Torx head screw, I believe 1/4". I had adjusted mine once but just a guesstiimate.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Mounce

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Mounce said:
I've also dealt with those Ford adjusters. Huge pita. Used a ratchet with 4mm socket, made the job a little quicker.
Yea man. I it is a real pain. I couldnt get a ratchet in there because there is not enough space. A 4mm ratcheting wrench would have wokred but I dont even know if they make such a thing LOL
Chickenhawk said:
I have never tried aiming my fogs. Is there an actual adjustment on our platform?
Yes they do and you got some great info from the other guys before I could answer!

Reactions: Mounce and dmanns67

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks friends! I found the star adjuster, and it uses the same tool and in the same direction as the headlights. I have a 14-point 1/4" socket on a short extension and it works great. I even put a piece of masking tape around it and marked it with an arrow to show me the UP direction. (Up is counterclockwise on both the headlights and the fog lights.)

It didn't take me much of a rotation to bring them up much. Because of the possibility of driving in blowing snow, I like the tops of the fogs lower than the bottom edge of the headlights, and half a turn counterclockwise was enough to get them where I like.

There is a bracket close behind the driver's side adjuster, but I put the socket on a ratchet and it had enough clearance to go over the star adjuster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online