Engine quits when left turn signal is on!!!

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
My 02 Envoy has developoed a bizzare situation. When I turn the left turn signal on, the engine quits. I can't tell if I am losing the fuel pump or spark, the tach still registers as the engine is turning over. I turn the signal off and it will either resume running (at highway speed, it just goes again) when stopped, it will restart on the key.
When stopped and the left turn signal on, the rear light flashes, the front light does not operate and the left headlight is dim. Has anyone come accross this before??? I have not looked under the hood yet, this just happened this morning.

Thanks!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Gordo,

I would start by looking for a short or pinch some where within the wires. I read some where a long time ago, about this happening to another TB, and someone mentioned that the ignition system was some how using the turning signal to ground out the ignition system. Not sure how the other person solved their issue, but I would start looking at all your wires first.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Gordo said:
Needle in a haystack!!!

Agreed! But unfortunately the only explanation I can come up with lol. Maybe the roadie will chime in. Seems like anytime his name is mentioned, he mysteriously arrives :undecided:

Maybe he is telekinetic? Or whatever lol.

I hope you can find a solution!!

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Ya, I'll get at it tonight, just thought I'd throw a feeler out there in case this has appeared before!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Gordo said:
Ya, I'll get at it tonight, just thought I'd throw a feeler out there in case this has appeared before!

I haven't read anything here about it, have you tried the unmentionable website to see if you can locate an explanation better than mine? Although their explanations probably suck as much as mine did. I think I read mine while looking on google about the ignition switch, maybe google it lol?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
.. Maybe the roadie will chime in. Seems like anytime his name is mentioned, he mysteriously arrives :undecided: .
Somebody called?

bat-signal.jpg

This is seriously puzzling. Does the headlight stay dim and steady while the rear flashes, or does it dim down in time with the rear? How about the high beam?

One feature Envoys have that others don't is the cornering lamp. Which doesn't flash. What's the behavior of your two cornering lamps? Pull out rear fuse #37 and see if the engine behavior changes. The front fuse block is used as a connection point for the wiring harnesses getting the power to the cornering lamps, so corrosion or conductive debris inside the fuse blocks is another possibility.

Any time there's a report of a dim lamp, grounds have to be a suspect. Check out this thread on the OS for locations. G107 on the engine is the ground for both the left headlight and the cornering lamp.

Let me check the schematic to see what else shares that ground. Not the PCM ..... yes to the front axle actuator, but that's not your problem ......ooops, what's this..the fuel pump relay coil shares that ground. :wootwoot:

Check out G107. You owe me a beer if that's the bug.

View attachment 22907

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 129

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Gordo said:
My 02 Envoy has developoed a bizzare situation. When I turn the left turn signal on, the engine quits...the tach still registers as the engine is turning over.
:confused::confused:

The fuel pump relay and front left turn signal share a common ground at G107 (engine block, driver's side). Maybe a place to start. This may not be the only common point...I'll continue to poke around the schematics.

Sounds similar to the LGM module issue a member was having not too long ago: Two comonpents share a common ground. The ground is lost but the components are still connected to each other. One component will feed back through the second inactive component as its ground (with varying degrees of success). When the second component actually needs its ground both components quit.

EDIT: Gahh! beat again

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
I haven't read anything here about it, have you tried the unmentionable website to see if you can locate an explanation better than mine? Although their explanations probably suck as much as mine did. I think I read mine while looking on google about the ignition switch, maybe google it lol?
Trailvoy is highly mentionable here. We're not threatened by their existence, and we wrote most of the stuff there. New stuff sucks, yes, but the historical archives are a gold mine. Especially the link I just put in my post.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Somebody called?

bat-signal.jpg

This is seriously puzzling. Does the headlight stay dim and steady while the rear flashes, or does it dim down in time with the rear? How about the high beam?

One feature Envoys have that others don't is the cornering lamp. Which doesn't flash. What's the behavior of your two cornering lamps? Pull out rear fuse #37 and see if the engine behavior changes. The front fuse block is used as a connection point for the wiring harnesses getting the power to the cornering lamps, so corrosion or conductive debris inside the fuse blocks is another possibility.

Any time there's a report of a dim lamp, grounds have to be a suspect. Check out this thread on the OS for locations. G107 on the engine is the ground for both the left headlight and the cornering lamp.

Let me check the schematic to see what else shares that ground. Not the PCM ..... yes to the front axle actuator, but that's not your problem ......ooops, what's this..the fuel pump relay coil shares that ground. :wootwoot:

Check out G107. You owe me a beer if that's the bug.

View attachment 9372

This man seriously scares me sometimes :rotfl: I told you he is telekinetic or something. Okay, I will let this be now that the ever so awesome Bill has chimed in!

I did want to mention though, that I am so glad that Roadie wasn't my dad when I was growing up, or I would have NEVER gotten away with anything that I did when I was younger lol :raspberry:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
... I am so glad that Roadie wasn't my dad when I was growing up, or I would have NEVER gotten away with anything that I did when I was younger lol :raspberry:
You should compare notes with my 33 year old daughter. We *did* let her get away with a certain level of stuff that she thought we didn't know about. If we had been too strict, she might have run away or not learned to fly on her own.

OT: One interesting episode was when she was just starting to drive, but hadn't yet bought her first beater to get to school. She thought she was going to get away with sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night to joyride. This was around 1994, before the web was fully built, so you had to get paper brochures for new products. I found a product that you could hide in the vehicle like a LoJack, and it would monitor the times and way (G-force) a vehicle was driven. We didn't even have to BUY this $500 black box. We just silently put the brochure on the coffee table for a week, then took it away. Our daughter told us YEARS later that she had seen the brochure, showed it to all her friends while we weren't home, and she was permanently deterred from ever joyriding in either of our cars. She had no way to know if we had bought it or not, and which car we had installed it in. Exactly as I hoped. :wink:

Reactions: Ziggy

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
You should compare notes with my 33 year old daughter. We *did* let her get away with a certain level of stuff that she thought we didn't know about. If we had been too strict, she might have run away or not learned to fly on her own.

OT: One interesting episode was when she was just starting to drive, but hadn't yet bought her first beater to get to school. She thought she was going to get away with sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night to joyride. This was around 1994, before the web was fully built, so you had to get paper brochures for new products. I found a product that you could hide in the vehicle like a LoJack, and it would monitor the times and way (G-force) a vehicle was driven. We didn't even have to BUY this $500 black box. We just silently put the brochure on the coffee table for a week, then took it away. Our daughter told us YEARS later that she had seen the brochure, showed it to all her friends while we weren't home, and she was permanently deterred from ever joyriding in either of our cars. She had no way to know if we had bought it or not, and which car we had installed it in. Exactly as I hoped. :wink:

That's funny! Something I will definitely have to remember to do, maybe print it out and leave it on the table when our kids are old enough to drive. I think my dad knew some of the things I did and he too just allowed me to do them, us kids sometimes have to learn the hard way.

As far as the OS....I say unmentionable because without the original members it's nothing except for maybe an embarrassment. Maybe I need to choose a different nickname so new members here don't feel out of line when mentioning the OS.

Feb 18, 2012
the roadie said:

Parenting at its finest.

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks guys, a good place to start. I can't answer the questions about what is blinking and dimming as this just happened on the way to work this morning. I have not opened the hood. However, I just installed this engine a couple of months back so all the engine cables were removed at that point. Perhaps I did not tighten them all on reassembly! I'll check it out tonight!

Gordo

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
And so I don't clutter up the Word of the Day thread, telekinesis is moving things with your mind. Sadly, I'm merely telepathic. :frown: :hissyfit:

View attachment 9373

That's the word I was looking for!!!! I knew it was tele-something :rotfl:

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Did a little quick checking at lunch. This morning it was raining while I was having trouble. Hard to change lanes when every time I signal a lane change, the engine dies! at noon, I parked in front of a glass door so I could see what the lights were doing. On startup, everything was fine, my left front signal was working again also. Put it in gear and the daytime running lights came on (I am in Canada). Tried the high beams and the left one was not as bright as the right. Signalled left, no turn signal and the engine died. Turned the high beams off, restarted it, signal worked again! Definitly looks like a ground!

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
the roadie said:
And so I don't clutter up the Word of the Day thread, telekinesis is moving things with your mind. Sadly, I'm merely telepathic. :frown: :hissyfit:

View attachment 9373

:hijack: So. Is the ability to broadcast your thoughts called telewoman?

Just kidding. Put away the shotguns. :raspberry:

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Beers all around! At my place!! That was the fault, a loose ground terminal, thganks to all!!

Gordo

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Problem solved with no one suggesting only right hand turns...I expected better:raspberry:

Glad you got it all fixed up.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
HARDTRAILZ said:
Problem solved with no one suggesting only right hand turns...I expected better:raspberry:

Glad you got it all fixed up.

:offtopic:

IIRC,that's what the UPS drivers are taught. It's supposed to save big bucks in gas and time. No waiting at intersections for on-coming traffic.

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Wooluf1952 said:
:offtopic:

IIRC,that's what the UPS drivers are taught. It's supposed to save big bucks in gas and time. No waiting at intersections for on-coming traffic.

I've heard this as well, they map out all their routes to avoid left turns. Honestly can't think of any time I've seen one turn left.

Friendly

Nov 2, 2015
Canada
Beers all around! At my place!! That was the fault, a loose ground terminal, thganks to all!!

Gordo
Hi Gordo, I have a similar problem with my Envoy and wonder what ground you were referring to (and the location please), that fixed this problem on your Envoy?
My 2002 Envoy dies when I select the Hi Beams. LH Turn Signal also flashes fast when I select hi beams or if it is night time and the headlights are on automatically, this also causes the engine to die.
Thanks Gordo (my email is jerrygirodat@gmail.com - if you want to email me) Thanks again, for any info, photos etc that you can share!
jerry

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Gordo hasn't been on the forum in well over a year, so I don't think you'll get a direct answer from him. There's an attachment in post #7 with a picture referencing a particular ground point.

Have you had any work done to your vehicle recently? How long has this issue been happening to you? You'll need to give us as much background on the problem as you can, so we can make educated guesses to help you troubleshoot. :yes:

Reactions: djthumper

Friendly

Nov 2, 2015
Canada
Gordo hasn't been on the forum in well over a year, so I don't think you'll get a direct answer from him. There's an attachment in post #7 with a picture referencing a particular ground point.

Have you had any work done to your vehicle recently? How long has this issue been happening to you? You'll need to give us as much background on the problem as you can, so we can make educated guesses to help you troubleshoot. :yes:
The only recent thing I have done was getting it oiled at Krown about a month ago. It's a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT - driver's side headlights high and low are dim - right side is good in both DRL Mode (key on - in gear- parking brake off) and also just turning on the headlight switch with no key - LH side is dim compared to right), LH Signal light switch flashes faster than normal and side curb light glows dim and slightly flashes with the signal (right side curb light is steady and bright with the RT turn signal selected). If I pull high beam PTF (Pull to Flash) towards me... the engine stalls? Sometimes, with just the LH turn signal on (if it's dark and the headlights turn on automatically)... the engine also stalls, but not in the daylight with just the LH signal on and the headlight switch set to normal. I replaced all the bulbs left and right side - front and back (18 total, including fog lamps and 6 rear bulbs) and checked for corrosion in all sockets. I removed checked and replaced all the fuses, replaced the BCM (Body Control Module) flexible circuit in the rear distribution/fuse box behind the driver's seat, I also replaced signal control arm cluster, replaced flasher unit under steering column, replaced relays 45 and 46, checked all fuse bases for corrosion, in front and rear distribution/fuse boxes (and all TB Terminal Blocks inside both boxes) and put dielectric compound on all connections, checked all grounds for corrosion and metered them for milli volts, with the circuits turned on, replaced headlight/fog light headlight washer control switch, replaced entire front wiring harness for the headlights, and removed and cleaned all 3 terminals for the ignition control box (thinking the ignition and LH signals or high beam circuits, shared a common ground) and was causing the engine to lose power to the ignition circuit. Some guys have mentioned a DRL Module and I have seen pictures of a DRL Diode with heat sinks on it, but there is no diode under my dash, and I think the DRL Module they are referring to is actually the relay #46 in the front dist/fuse box and they call it an HDM (Headlight Driver Module). I switched this HDM with the Fan Clutch Relay (#45), (which is actually an identical solid state relay that only allows 80 or so percent of power to low beams during daylight) and I have the same problem? Can you guide me to something I missed, without taking the huge wiring harness apart, that runs from the front dist/fuse box to the rear dist/fuse box and BCM??? I am still awaiting the delivery of the wiring schematic I ordered for the vehicle and model, because the diagrams online do not match mine. I think my model has all the bells and whistles, I have rain sensor wipers, ECAS (Electronic Controlled Air Suspension), BOSE sound system etc. – all of which, function normally and no check engine light or other failures. Thank you for any light you can shed on this for me… (no pun intended)!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I hope you didn't pay for those schematics because I have them available here for free. Check my signature for the link to the manuals.

lookin4luey

Dec 9, 2014
Just chiming in here to thank anyone that may still be active in the forum. This thread solved a similar issue for me as well after an engine swap.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Of course we're still active. Where do you think this is? TrailVoy? :dielaugh:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is an Old Thread that deserves an Update with THIS Diagram to emphasize that if the Headlamps Flicker and the Engine Stalls (after the Fuel Pump Relay is interrupted by an excessive Amperage Draw) when making a Left Turn while also using the Left Turn Signal... it can be traced down to All Three of these Components sharing a Common Ground G-107 on the Driver's Side of the Engine Block.

R&R the G-107 Ground, Clean all the surfaces down to "Bright & Shiny" and re-attach the Ground Eyelet AFTER applying a small amount of Dielectric Grease to prevent further Galvanic Corrosion:

2002GROUNDWIRES.jpg

Engine Grounds .jpgCORRODEDG110GROUNDWORSTjpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: christo829

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online