Engine flush? synthetic?

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Hey guys, im planning on doing a engine flush soon any recommended flushes to use? Also I want to start useing synthetic oil. I used royal purple on my other cars didn't notice anything when useing it but I guess it was a feel good thing but anyone notice any change? 07 almost has 50k on the dash

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
I'm sure any name-brand flush is OK, but with such low mileage, why bother? Just drain the old mineral oil, and in with the syn.

BTW, as much as I like Royal Purple (we use it exclusively in our race motors), I don't think the extra cost is justified in a grocery-getter like a TB/Voy. Mobil 1 has been VERY good to my engine (190K and running strong).

Just use a good filter (Wix, NAPA gold, Pure One, Mobil 1, K&N)....anything but Fram.

c bausch said:
Hey guys, im planning on doing a engine flush soon any recommended flushes to use? Also I want to start useing synthetic oil. I used royal purple on my other cars didn't notice anything when useing it but I guess it was a feel good thing but anyone notice any change? 07 almost has 50k on the dash

I am an AMSOIL dealer on the site and you have a few different options.

If your looking for a flush you can go with AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush

AMSOIL has 3 different kinds of 100% synthetic oils:

1. AMSOIL OE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

2. AMSOIL Extended Life 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

3. AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil

Shoot me a PM if your interested in becoming a preferred customer and getting wholesale prices (30% off of retail).

Check the vehicle product link in my signature for all the fluids available for the TB.

Steve

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
MacMan said:
I'm sure any name-brand flush is OK, but with such low mileage, why bother? Just drain the old mineral oil, and in with the syn.

BTW, as much as I like Royal Purple (we use it exclusively in our race motors), I don't think the extra cost is justified in a grocery-getter like a TB/Voy. Mobil 1 has been VERY good to my engine (190K and running strong).

Just use a good filter (Wix, NAPA gold, Pure One, Mobil 1, K&N)....anything but Fram.

At OP: I dont think there is a need for a flush, Thats what the synthetic formula will do. It will flush all that extra crud off and into the filter. The flush may take any crud holding the seals together and possibly cause a leak. Where maybe the synthetic wouldn't. My advise is no to flush. No need to, especially with only 50,000 on the clock.:twocents:

What mobil one are you using? Just the synthetic? I was going to use royal purple and still think I am going too. I tow alot and I think maybe the little extra additive is possibly worth it. It cant hurt.

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
I used it in my 05truck dodge ram rumble bee . I was useing 5-30w and r/p atf and dif gear oil I personally think that alls it did was made me travel alot longer then the standard oil, but im not pro $400 for fluids is just to much for me. I liked it but just to much $$$$ o and I also ran a k&n oil filter

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
c bausch said:
I used it in my 05truck dodge ram rumble bee . I was useing 5-30w and r/p atf and dif gear oil I personally think that alls it did was made me travel alot longer then the standard oil, but im not pro $400 for fluids is just to much for me. I liked it but just to much $$$$ o and I also ran a k&n oil filter

Thats what I am going to run, Royal Purple and a K & N Filter. Yes, Its alot of money but, I think it will make my truck last alot longer. It will start to help I am thinking after I hit 150,000. Just my thoughts....

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I ran Amsoil Flush through prior to switching to Amsoil OE. What came out was the blackest used oil I'd ever seen. Engine had 67K at the time. There is another thread where I go over what I did but in short new filter to catch what the Flush cleans up, idle engine for 15 minutes with Flush in it and then an oil change with another new filter. Here's my clarification of what I did in another post; http://gmtnation.com/f23/absolute-best-filter-money-can-buy-2251/#post46383

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think that all these designer oils are just a lot of hype. As long as you use a good quality synthetic oil and filter, it's all good. I actually use Shell Rotella T6 5W40 in my truck and van and it's cheaper to boot ($26CAD/gallon). If it's good enough for a high mileage, heavy load running diesel truck, it will work great in a regular passenger vehicle. I did a bunch of research on - Bob is the Oil Guy and haven't heard anything bad about it. People getting the oil analyzed after an oil change got excellent results with it in everything from cars, trucks and motorcycles. Heck, I even use it in my 4 stroke snowmobiles! As far as the designer oils, well, just like designer clothes, are expensive and do basically the same thing as their cheaper counterparts. :redface: Our trucks were designed to run on dyno lube so any step up from that will make it last that much longer.

As far as filters are concerned, again, any good quality filter will be fine. And as mentioned, run away from Fram and their rebranded clones. One thing I do is put a couple of strong magnets on the outside of the filter to trap very fine metal particles that could be let through by any filter. A good source of magnets is old computer hard drives. They stick and stay put wherever you place them. Super strong. Same principle as the magnet in the tranny pan and diff. When changing the oil, just remove the magnets and the particles stay in the filter when you remove it.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I just did a double oil change as a flush. I changed the oil using Mobile 1 full synthetic and a cheap fram tough guard oil filter, ran it for about 30min to cycle it pretty well(with a few rev's) and then changed that oil using new mobile 1 full synthetic and a K&N oil filter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online