ELM327 & Class 2 Serial Data

TJBaker57

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Well the plan is to do it with an arduino so I'd like to use that. Would it be ok to plug the arduino digital pin into the obd port on my truck or would that mess something up. Its a 2000 s10 LS. The coolant temp and fuel level and probably gear indicator are all that's controlled over serial but they all come from the ecu I would assume but I want to replicate the data the ecu sends to the cluster not what goes into the ecu. I don't even know if that's the same data line that goes to the DLC, I'm pretty sure it's not.

You cannot simply connect an Arduino to a serial data bus and have it do anything. It requires more hardware and software for the Arduino.

This is my own Arduino project to connect to a J1850VPW bus...

20220301_203905.jpg

The Arduino Nano is the small board attached to the larger board.

The code I put together to run it is several hundred lines long.

There is another thread here on this website titled Arduino Chat that discusses this sort of thing.

Riley_UwU

Oct 7, 2024
Madison, MS
You cannot simply connect an Arduino to a serial data bus and have it do anything. It requires more hardware and software for the Arduino.
I would say "in that case I'll only have tach and speed" but even the gear selector is done over serial. I'm lazy and mostly deal in hardware and the cluster i bought will never be used for anything other than video games again so I'll probably just tear the cluster apart, take all the chips off the board and wire all the gauges and lights up to only an arduino so I'll have full control and won't have to deal with a 25 year old barely documented data standard.

Riley_UwU

Oct 7, 2024
Madison, MS
im already trying to learn LIN messages for a tesla because i bought a tesla steering wheel for a different project that failed so im using that for the wheel of the sim and i cant even figure LIN out. if i just tear into the chevy cluster and make it simple then its one less data line to not deal with.

Riley_UwU

Oct 7, 2024
Madison, MS

This is my own Arduino project to connect to a J1850VPW bus...

View attachment 114658

The Arduino Nano is the small board attached to the larger board.

The code I put together to run it is several hundred lines long.

There is another thread here on this website titled Arduino Chat that discusses this sort of thing.
I just got my cluster in. It does work but my theory of just running all the gauges and LEDs with an arduino instead of serial might not work. I didn't realise that these gauges are servo motors not whatever is in the older ones and this board is alot more complex than the older ones. I really don't want to have to deal with serial data though, any idea what would be easier?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hologram

Members Online